PDA

View Full Version : Cat with pseudomona aeruginosa -- any insight?

Paula Sims
March 14th 06, 01:45 AM
Hello everyone,
After almost 3 years of searching, finding, and stumbling my cat's
chronic coughing has been diagnosed as a pseudomona aeruginosa organism.
Gypsy is 10 years old. She's on 3/4 of a 22.7 mg of Orbax and had been
since mid-Jan and it's somewhat helping. Her coughing bouts (loose,
nonproductive) have decreased, almost a throat clearing, and her x-rays
show no deterioration and POSSIBLY some improvement (she won't hold
still for the x-ray, I don't know why!).

That said, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this
organism. Gypsy is eating, drinking, and using the litter box fine but
as expected her activity has decreased because she's sick and tired of
being sick and tired. She has maintained her weight (5lbs 8oz -- she's
petite!). She's also taken to hiding under the bed because every time
she sees me I'm stuffing a pill down her throat (can't blame her).

I've posted to the Yahoo feline asthma group and have gotten some
wonderful responses and support but if anyone can give me any insight
into this thing, I would appreciate it. I haven't (and won't) give up
hope but any and all stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your support

Paula

-L.
March 14th 06, 02:08 AM
Paula Sims wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> After almost 3 years of searching, finding, and stumbling my cat's
> chronic coughing has been diagnosed as a pseudomona aeruginosa organism.
> Gypsy is 10 years old. She's on 3/4 of a 22.7 mg of Orbax and had been
> since mid-Jan and it's somewhat helping. Her coughing bouts (loose,
> nonproductive) have decreased, almost a throat clearing, and her x-rays
> show no deterioration and POSSIBLY some improvement (she won't hold
> still for the x-ray, I don't know why!).
>
> That said, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this
> organism. Gypsy is eating, drinking, and using the litter box fine but
> as expected her activity has decreased because she's sick and tired of
> being sick and tired. She has maintained her weight (5lbs 8oz -- she's
> petite!). She's also taken to hiding under the bed because every time
> she sees me I'm stuffing a pill down her throat (can't blame her).
>
> I've posted to the Yahoo feline asthma group and have gotten some
> wonderful responses and support but if anyone can give me any insight
> into this thing, I would appreciate it. I haven't (and won't) give up
> hope but any and all stories would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks for your support
>
> Paula

What have they treated it with so far besides Orbax?
-L.

Paula Sims
March 14th 06, 11:59 AM
In article . com>,
says...

> Paula Sims wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > After almost 3 years of searching, finding, and stumbling my cat's
> > chronic coughing has been diagnosed as a pseudomona aeruginosa organism.
> > Gypsy is 10 years old. She's on 3/4 of a 22.7 mg of Orbax and had been
> > since mid-Jan and it's somewhat helping. Her coughing bouts (loose,
> > nonproductive) have decreased, almost a throat clearing, and her x-rays
> > show no deterioration and POSSIBLY some improvement (she won't hold
> > still for the x-ray, I don't know why!).
> >
> > That said, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this
> > organism. Gypsy is eating, drinking, and using the litter box fine but
> > as expected her activity has decreased because she's sick and tired of
> > being sick and tired. She has maintained her weight (5lbs 8oz -- she's
> > petite!). She's also taken to hiding under the bed because every time
> > she sees me I'm stuffing a pill down her throat (can't blame her).
> >
> > I've posted to the Yahoo feline asthma group and have gotten some
> > wonderful responses and support but if anyone can give me any insight
> > into this thing, I would appreciate it. I haven't (and won't) give up
> > hope but any and all stories would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks for your support
> >
> > Paula
>
> What have they treated it with so far besides Orbax?
> -L.

We tried injectable Baytril for about 8 weeks and it cleared up the
infection (nothing on the x-ray and no coughing) but it came back. We
are hesitant to go that round again because of the injections and the
Baytril.

In addition we've tried Prednesone (sp?), Albuterol, and Flovent, all
did nothing.

Thanks for the help

Paula