PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea

mystro
March 14th 06, 02:40 AM
I'm a first time cat owner owned by a wonderful male cat named Pete who
is approx 2 years
old. I've tried several brands of dry food but he's always had
soft,runny stools for the last year or so.. so I'm somewhat concerned
even though he seems perfectly healthy..can this hopefully be a
*normal* behavior without issues?

Kelcey via CatKB.com
March 14th 06, 03:04 AM
>I'm a first time cat owner owned by a wonderful male cat named Pete who
>is approx 2 years
>old. I've tried several brands of dry food but he's always had
>soft,runny stools for the last year or so.. so I'm somewhat concerned
>even though he seems perfectly healthy..can this hopefully be a
>*normal* behavior without issues?

Abruptly changing the food can cause diarreah. When you change brands you
have to do it very slowly. Add a *bit* of the new food to the present food
in the bowl each day until eventually all that is in the bowl is the new food.
It should take a week or two to change it over completely if done slowly.
Try that and keep him on the brand you choose for awhile, at least a few
months, to see how he does then. If it keeps up, vet can tell you if he
needs a specialized food from vet (in case it's IBD).

Gail
March 14th 06, 03:05 AM
Have you had his stool checked for parasites? No, soft runny stools are not
normal.
Gail
"mystro" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm a first time cat owner owned by a wonderful male cat named Pete who
> is approx 2 years
> old. I've tried several brands of dry food but he's always had
> soft,runny stools for the last year or so.. so I'm somewhat concerned
> even though he seems perfectly healthy..can this hopefully be a
> *normal* behavior without issues?

mystro
March 14th 06, 03:16 AM
Just for info purposes,He has been eating Chicken Soup for about 5
months,before that it was Innova Evo..when I brought him home he was
eating another non-grain quality dry food.. I don't remember it's
name,his soft stool condition was the same though. I'll have him first
checked for parisites I guess.