PDA

View Full Version : Nasal vaccinations

blkcatgal
March 14th 06, 01:40 PM
Anyone here have any experience with vaccinations given nasal? I just
adopted an 8 month old kitten from a shelter and they told me he was given a
nasal vaccination. I'm curious about the effectiveness of a nasal vaccine.
Does anyone have any info on this? I'm taking the kitten to my own vet
today too.

Thanks.

Sue

Buddy
March 14th 06, 02:00 PM
Last year, when I first adopted my cat and took him to the vet, my vet
gave him a nasal vaccination also. I think they are doing that now,
rather than the shots because the shots tended to cause cancer of the
derma in some instances [I had a kitty who died of this].

My experience was that this kitty had a bout with a sinus problem which
required antibiotics, after the nasal vacination. May have been
coincidence? He is due to go to the vet in another month. I will
look forward to seeing what others have to say.

Phil P.
March 14th 06, 04:44 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Anyone here have any experience with vaccinations given nasal? I just
> adopted an 8 month old kitten from a shelter and they told me he was given
> nasal vaccination. I'm curious about the effectiveness of a nasal
vaccine.
> Does anyone have any info on this? I'm taking the kitten to my own vet
> today too.

Hi Sue,

If you're going with intranasals, I recommend the new Heska Ultranasal- it
doesn't get applied to the eyes and produces fewer and milder adverse
effects than other intranasal vx.

As far as inducing immunity- I think intranasals are better at inducing
cell-mediated immunity than injectables and injectables are better than
intranasals at inducing humorol immunity. I also think injectables provide
longer lasting immunity than intranasals.

If you decide on an injectable vaccine, I recommend the Purevax FVRCP.
After your cat's first year booster, I wouldn't vaccinate him again for
panleukopenia (the "P" in FVRCP) and only vaccinate him every 3 or 4 years
for herpes an calicivirus with the 2-way Ultranasal vaccine.

Congratulations on your new cat!

Best of luck,

Phil