PDA

View Full Version : Switch from urinary prescription - is it possible?

4Katz
March 14th 06, 08:20 PM
Has anyone had any success with weaning a male cat with urinary
problems off a prescription diet (Royal Canin urinary s/o) to a more
natural diet? I am feeding 3 of my cats Katzenflocken and would love
to get the other one off the dependence on a prescribed food that I
really know nothing about.

Thanks for any advice.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 15th 06, 01:39 AM
>Has anyone had any success with weaning a male cat with urinary
>problems off a prescription diet (Royal Canin urinary s/o) to a more
>natural diet? I am feeding 3 of my cats Katzenflocken and would love
>to get the other one off the dependence on a prescribed food that I
>really know nothing about.

My cat was on Hill's c/d for 2 years, switched him to Hill's Science Diet 3.5
years ago; he's doing fine. It has a low magnesium content and a target
urine p/h of 6.2-6.4 (moderate acid). You need to find out what the
magnesium content on a "dry matter basis" is and what the target urine p/h
is; the companies you contact should give you this information; if they can't
provide it, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a "natural" food, Hill's
makes Nature's Best and the magnesium is only .053 DMB. The c/d is .057 mag.
DMB, so they are both quite similar.

Anna

Stacey Weinberger
March 15th 06, 06:06 AM
I've got Sebastian on Wysong Au Jus Chicken with Grizzly Salmon Oil and
Instincts TC added. I also add a little bit of water to his food. Knock on
wood no problems!

Stacey

"4Katz" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Has anyone had any success with weaning a male cat with urinary
> problems off a prescription diet (Royal Canin urinary s/o) to a more
> natural diet? I am feeding 3 of my cats Katzenflocken and would love
> to get the other one off the dependence on a prescribed food that I
> really know nothing about.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 15th 06, 01:01 PM
>I've got Sebastian on Wysong Au Jus Chicken with Grizzly Salmon Oil and
>Instincts TC added. I also add a little bit of water to his food. Knock on
>wood no problems!

That's the food mine was eating when he got blocked up - Wysong Vitality.

Anna

PawsForThought
March 15th 06, 02:56 PM
Anna via CatKB.com wrote:
> >I've got Sebastian on Wysong Au Jus Chicken with Grizzly Salmon Oil and
> >Instincts TC added. I also add a little bit of water to his food. Knock on
> >wood no problems!
>

> That's the food mine was eating when he got blocked up - Wysong Vitality.

Isn't that a dry food?

Phil P.
March 15th 06, 02:58 PM
"4Katz" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Has anyone had any success with weaning a male cat with urinary
> problems off a prescription diet (Royal Canin urinary s/o) to a more
> natural diet? I am feeding 3 of my cats Katzenflocken and would love
> to get the other one off the dependence on a prescribed food that I
> really know nothing about.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Royal Canin Urinary SO purportedly treats struvite and calcium oxalate.
Which type of crystals does your cat have?

Phil

yngver
March 16th 06, 10:15 PM
4Katz wrote:
> Has anyone had any success with weaning a male cat with urinary
> problems off a prescription diet (Royal Canin urinary s/o) to a more
> natural diet? I am feeding 3 of my cats Katzenflocken and would love
> to get the other one off the dependence on a prescribed food that I
> really know nothing about.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Our cat is female, but she was on Royal Canin s/o for about six months
until she became reluctant to eat it. We've been monitoring since
then--it's been about nine months--and her urinalyses have not shown
any more struvites. Currently she eats SD Nature's Best and SD canned,
although we have just got Iam's Multi Cat formula and she does like
that too. Of course, crystals are generally much less risky in female
cats, so our vet said it was okay to stop feeding her the s/o once the
struvites disappeared. He just said that if she develops struvites
again, she would have to go back on the s/o, but so far so good.
-yngver

Stacey Weinberger
March 17th 06, 05:46 AM
Anna via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >I've got Sebastian on Wysong Au Jus Chicken with Grizzly Salmon Oil and
>>Instincts TC added. I also add a little bit of water to his food. Knock
>>on
>>wood no problems!
>

> That's the food mine was eating when he got blocked up - Wysong Vitality.
>

> Anna

No it's not. This is canned food, not the dry Vitality. It's 95% chicken,
the rest is water and guar gum.

Stacey