PDA

View Full Version : My cats likes to sleep with some light on her face!

AlexZ
March 15th 06, 07:56 AM
Our cat appears to like sleeping with light on, facing the light. This
is obviously no problem, but I am curious to know if it is common?

One night she was sleeping in the living room where we have two lamps,
one of which is on all night. Seeing her face towards the lamp, I
thought it must be uncomfortable, and switched that one off and the
other one on. I returned a little later to check on her and she had
turned around to face the lamp that was lit now.

By gently experimenting over the next few days I noticed that if we
leave the living room dark, but different levels of lighting in other
rooms, she prefers to sleep in a dimly lit room, but facing the bulb.

Is this just her peculairity or do cats like to sleep with some light
on their face?

IBen Getiner
March 15th 06, 10:17 AM
AlexZ wrote:
> Our cat appears to like sleeping with light on, facing the light. This
> is obviously no problem, but I am curious to know if it is common?

Why...? What good will it do for you to learn this? Don't you have
anything else better to do, AlexZ...?

> One night she was sleeping in the living room where we have two lamps,
> one of which is on all night. Seeing her face towards the lamp, I
> thought it must be uncomfortable, and switched that one off and the
> other one on. I returned a little later to check on her and she had
> turned around to face the lamp that was lit now.

So don't mess with it next time. I don't get you. Nutz...

> By gently experimenting over the next few days I noticed that if we
> leave the living room dark, but different levels of lighting in other
> rooms, she prefers to sleep in a dimly lit room, but facing the bulb.

She's trying to get a tan...?? I dunno.... Why do you want to...?

> Is this just her peculairity or do cats like to sleep with some light
> on their face?

YOU'RE the one with the peculairty. Your cat is just doing what she
likes to do becasue she likes to do it.
Look..... Why don't you just ask her? She's obcviously smarter than you
think.

IBen

Spot
March 15th 06, 11:27 AM
I think it's the warmth that draws them. I have two that love to curl up
under a lamp when it's lit. And all 3 of mine will seek out the tiniest
sliver of sunlight coming through the window to lay down and fall asleep in.

Celeste

"AlexZ" > wrote in message
> Our cat appears to like sleeping with light on, facing the light. This
> is obviously no problem, but I am curious to know if it is common?
>
> One night she was sleeping in the living room where we have two lamps,
> one of which is on all night. Seeing her face towards the lamp, I
> thought it must be uncomfortable, and switched that one off and the
> other one on. I returned a little later to check on her and she had
> turned around to face the lamp that was lit now.
>
> By gently experimenting over the next few days I noticed that if we
> leave the living room dark, but different levels of lighting in other
> rooms, she prefers to sleep in a dimly lit room, but facing the bulb.
>
> Is this just her peculairity or do cats like to sleep with some light
> on their face?

Buddy
March 15th 06, 12:06 PM
I agree with the warmth of the light. My kitty loves to lay in any sun
coming through the windows.

Wayne Boatwright
March 15th 06, 01:12 PM
On Tue 14 Mar 2006 11:56:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it AlexZ?

> Our cat appears to like sleeping with light on, facing the light. This
> is obviously no problem, but I am curious to know if it is common?
>
> One night she was sleeping in the living room where we have two lamps,
> one of which is on all night. Seeing her face towards the lamp, I
> thought it must be uncomfortable, and switched that one off and the
> other one on. I returned a little later to check on her and she had
> turned around to face the lamp that was lit now.
>
> By gently experimenting over the next few days I noticed that if we
> leave the living room dark, but different levels of lighting in other
> rooms, she prefers to sleep in a dimly lit room, but facing the bulb.
>
> Is this just her peculairity or do cats like to sleep with some light
> on their face?

All 5 of our cats love to sleep in a ray of light, whether from the sun or
a lamp. However, one of hours always covers his eyes with one of his paws.
I think they all like the warmth, but the one doesn't like the brightness.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Dr. Woodard
March 15th 06, 04:06 PM
On 15 Mar 2006 03:06:22 -0800, "Buddy" > wrote:

>I agree with the warmth of the light. My kitty loves to lay in any sun
>coming through the windows.
I would add cats get certain vitamins from sunlight.

Dr. Woodard
March 15th 06, 04:08 PM
On 15 Mar 2006 13:12:08 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> By gently experimenting over the next few days I noticed that if we
>> leave the living room dark, but different levels of lighting in other
>> rooms, she prefers to sleep in a dimly lit room, but facing the bulb.
>>
>> Is this just her peculairity or do cats like to sleep with some light
>> on their face?
>
>All 5 of our cats love to sleep in a ray of light, whether from the sun or
>a lamp. However, one of hours always covers his eyes with one of his paws.
>I think they all like the warmth, but the one doesn't like the brightness.
Cats typically liket the sun (the warmth, vitamins that come from
sunlight.) They don't like the brightness and typically will
close/cover their eyes.

Arubalisa
March 15th 06, 05:50 PM
LOL! I'll vote in on yes warmth, no on brightness.
http://www.hoosierkitties.com/boys/images/rocky/rock3.JPG Our boys even
fight over patches of sunlight on the carpeting.

Two are very adept at covering their eyes with their paws.
http://www.hoosierkitties.com/boys/images/rocky/rockh.jpg
__
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Resource Links for You About Your Cat

AlexZ
March 15th 06, 09:17 PM
IBen Getiner > wrote:

: Why...? What good will it do for you to learn this? Don't you have
: anything else better to do, AlexZ...?

It was interesting enough for me and also apparently for others who
responded in this thread. "Better things" are already taken care of, it
is only afterwads that I read ng's and post to them. :-)

Thank you for your remaining observations as well.

:
: So don't mess with it next time. I don't get you. Nutz...
:
: > By gently experimenting over the next few days I noticed that if we
: > leave the living room dark, but different levels of lighting in other
: > rooms, she prefers to sleep in a dimly lit room, but facing the bulb.
:
: She's trying to get a tan...?? I dunno.... Why do you want to...?
:
: > Is this just her peculairity or do cats like to sleep with some light
: > on their face?
:
: YOU'RE the one with the peculairty. Your cat is just doing what she
: likes to do becasue she likes to do it.
: Look..... Why don't you just ask her? She's obcviously smarter than you
: think.

AlexZ
March 15th 06, 09:23 PM
Spot > wrote:

: I think it's the warmth that draws them. I have two that love to curl up
: under a lamp when it's lit. And all 3 of mine will seek out the tiniest
: sliver of sunlight coming through the window to lay down and fall asleep in.

Hi Celeste, thank you (and others in this thread). In this case the
lamp was a bit far but she could be associating light with warmth
anyway, this does seem to be the best explanation.

Netmask
March 15th 06, 11:59 PM
"AlexZ" > wrote in message
> Our cat appears to like sleeping with light on, facing the light. This
> is obviously no problem, but I am curious to know if it is common?
>
> One night she was sleeping in the living room where we have two lamps,
> one of which is on all night. Seeing her face towards the lamp, I
> thought it must be uncomfortable, and switched that one off and the
> other one on. I returned a little later to check on her and she had
> turned around to face the lamp that was lit now.
>
> By gently experimenting over the next few days I noticed that if we
> leave the living room dark, but different levels of lighting in other
> rooms, she prefers to sleep in a dimly lit room, but facing the bulb.
>
> Is this just her peculairity or do cats like to sleep with some light
> on their face?

Cats are 'heat seeking missiles' !!! All of mine have done this and I have
almost the same situation. The living room table lamp is on all night and
Maxx gets as close to it as possible and faces the light even on hot summer
nights when the temperature remains in the 30 degree range.

March 16th 06, 02:21 AM
AlexZ wrote:
> IBen Getiner > wrote:
>
> : Why...? What good will it do for you to learn this? Don't you have
> : anything else better to do, AlexZ...?
>
> It was interesting enough for me and also apparently for others who
> responded in this thread. "Better things" are already taken care of, it
> is only afterwads that I read ng's and post to them. :-)

You don't know these phony-baloney *******s in here... They're just
trying to be polite to you because they feel sorry for you. You see,
they might be total animal rights loony-tunes, but they are smart
enough to identify a brain damage case when they see one.

> Thank you for your remaining observations as well.

Any time, Alexz..... Any time. When your kat starts staring at the
frigging sun, then you get back to us here at CHB.... You hear.....?

IBen Getiner