PDA

View Full Version : Vaccine Reaction

Ollie via CatKB.com
March 15th 06, 03:09 PM
The story about Louis brought up some memories for me that I thought I should
share as a warning to other cat slaves. The cause was different but the
symptoms were the same.

Several years ago our Bengal, Tigger, stopped begging for her treats in the
morning. I noticed she hadn't been eating her food either and when I picked
her up she seemed warm. She had gotten her distemper and rabies vaccines a
week earlier. I took her into the vet that afternoon and she had a very
elevated temperature. I asked if the vaccine could be the cause and was told
a reaction would have happenned immediately not a week later. I paid $400.00
there for tests and then had to pick her up and take her to an overnight care
center since they didn't have people there at night. For three days I had to
pick her up in the morning and take her to the vet and then pick her up in
the evening and take her back to the overnight place. All in all it cost
about $1500.00. She came very close to dying. The whole time my DH and I
were asking "are you sure it couldn't be the vaccine" since the tests had all
come back negative. Their response was rude, as if we were accusing them of
not giving her proper care. She finally came home and was fine but we had no
idea what it was.

About a week later I get a message left at 4:55 (vet closed at 5:00) at work
that I needed to call back immediately about Tigger. Of course when I called
back they were no longer there. I will never forgive them for that sleepless
night wondering what they had found and what was wrong with my baby. When I
finally reached them the next day, not until 11:00 they took their sweet time
returning my call, I found out that it WAS a vaccine reaction. They had
borrowed vaccine from another clinic because they ran out and didn't even
check until another cat came in with the same symptoms. When I got upset
with them, they said "well we didn't have to tell you". They promised to
refund our money for the tests but it took me writing to the head of VCA
after 6 months of wating to get only $200.00. I never went back to that vet,
in fact I won't go to any vet that is affiliated with VCA.

This is a known possible reaction to the rabies vaccine. Don't believe your
vet if they tell you it is impossible to have a reaction that isn't immediate.
I now have a test for any new vet that sees my cats. I tell them the
symptoms and that she had a vaccine the week prior and ask for their opinion
about what the problem might have been. My current vet answered - a vaccine
reaction of course.

PawsForThought
March 15th 06, 06:57 PM
Ollie via CatKB.com wrote:
> The story about Louis brought up some memories for me that I thought I should
> share as a warning to other cat slaves. The cause was different but the
> symptoms were the same.

I am so sorry to hear about what you went through with your cat Tigger.
Vaccine reactions can even happen months later. I find that a lot of
vets don't really know a whole lot about the safety and side effects
about vaccines. Vaccines can be very hard on the immune system. When
fighting off disease in a natural occurrence, the disease pathogens
will enter usually through the nose or mouth. Vaccines are injected
directly into the blood stream and can be quite hard on the immune
system. I believe in part, or in whole, that my Meesha's asthma was as
a result of vaccines.

You might be interested in reading "The Nature of Animal Healing" by
Martin Goldstein, DVM: http://tinyurl.com/hvg3l

Lauren

---MIKE---
March 16th 06, 12:06 AM
Lauren wrote:

>>Vaccines are injected directly into the
>> blood stream

That is not correct. Vaccines are usually injected just under the skin
- not into the blood stream.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 16th 06, 12:22 AM
It makes me so happy that my vet is a personal friend and long time family
friend. I am so glad that I can trust him with anything including the life
of my furballs.

"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Lauren wrote:

>>Vaccines are injected directly into the
>> blood stream

That is not correct. Vaccines are usually injected just under the skin
- not into the blood stream.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

NMR's VET
March 16th 06, 12:32 AM
bull****!

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
. ..
> It makes me so happy that my vet is a personal friend and long time family
> friend. I am so glad that I can trust him with anything including the
life
> of my furballs.
>
> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> Lauren wrote:
>
> >>Vaccines are injected directly into the
> >> blood stream
>
> That is not correct. Vaccines are usually injected just under the skin
> - not into the blood stream.
>

> ---MIKE---
> >>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

PawsForThought
March 16th 06, 02:17 AM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> Lauren wrote:
>
> >>Vaccines are injected directly into the
> >> blood stream
>
> That is not correct. Vaccines are usually injected just under the skin
> - not into the blood stream.

Right. I didn't mean into the vein. But still an unnatural way into
the body.

Cheryl Sellner
March 16th 06, 04:20 AM
On Wed 15 Mar 2006 09:09:07a, Ollie via CatKB.com wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:[email protected]):

> When I got upset
> with them, they said "well we didn't have to tell you". They
> promised to refund our money for the tests but it took me
> writing to the head of VCA after 6 months of wating to get only
> $200.00. I never went back to that vet, in fact I won't go to
> any vet that is affiliated with VCA.

I have nothing good to say about the VCA here in my town. They are
money hungry. The final straw for me with VCA was a TV and VCR in
the waiting room that showed advertisements for a "neuter/declaw
combo" surgery for your new kitten.

> This is a known possible reaction to the rabies vaccine. Don't
> believe your vet if they tell you it is impossible to have a
> reaction that isn't immediate. I now have a test for any new vet
> that sees my cats. I tell them the symptoms and that she had a
> vaccine the week prior and ask for their opinion about what the
> problem might have been. My current vet answered - a vaccine
> reaction of course.

Good test. Good luck with the new vet and I'm glad your kitty
suffered no long-term effect from the ignorance of a vet chain.

--
Cheryl

PawsForThought
March 16th 06, 06:19 PM
Cheryl Sellner wrote:
> I have nothing good to say about the VCA here in my town. They are
> money hungry. The final straw for me with VCA was a TV and VCR in
> the waiting room that showed advertisements for a "neuter/declaw
> combo" surgery for your new kitten.

OMG, no way!! I would have given those idiots a piece of my mind.
That is just sick! :(

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 16th 06, 06:23 PM
They would not have a video tape and I would be contacting the local SPCA
and the news media
ups.com...