PDA

View Full Version : Hairballs are NOT normal - they're IBD

dgk
March 15th 06, 09:04 PM
Good column in Newsday

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-lspets4660405mar13,0,3096401.column

Feed chicken, not carbs.

Kelcey via CatKB.com
March 15th 06, 09:11 PM
>http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-lspets4660405mar13,0,3096401.column

Just one vet's opinion.

Elizabeth Blake
March 15th 06, 09:18 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> Good column in Newsday

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-lspets4660405mar13,0,3096401.column

> Feed chicken, not carbs.

My cats eat only wet food, mostly chicken/turket flavors although sometimes
they get a beef or beef mix flavor. They eat mostly Wellness & Petguard
plus some Science Diet. And, Otto goes through several hairball periods a
year. They always come in bunches and can last for about 2 weeks before the
last one is hacked up. He has none of the other symptoms that vet in the
article claims is IBD. His weight has remained steady and he never has
diarrhea. Once he clears himself of the hairballs, he's great until the
next episode. He only throws up when he's working on getting them out. I
do not plan to take him to the vet for any hairball emergencies and
thousands of dollars in tests and exploratory surgeries.

--
Liz

PawsForThought
March 15th 06, 11:08 PM
I think all cats will have hairballs. I feed my cats a homemade raw
diet and they might have 1 or 2 hairballs a year which is rare. I
think most cats probably have more hairballs. But if a cat is
constantly horking up hairballs, perhaps they do have IBD. In that
case, I guess it would probably be a good idea to have the cat checked
out.

cybercat
March 16th 06, 01:43 AM
"D." > wrote in message
link.net...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Kelcey via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-lspets4660405mar13,0,3096401.colu
mn

> > Just one vet's opinion
>
> I would agree. Also, I hope that this veterinarian realizes that species
> do cough up stuff naturally, e.g., owls cough up the indigestible bits
> of the animals they eat.
>
> Hodge had some fur in his stool the past couple of weeks and then
> coughed up a couple of large hairballs. He didn't lose weight or show
> any symptoms. It could in some cases be a sign of IBD, but I doubt that
> can be said so sweepingly.

I have to agree. My bulletprof cat that lived to be 20 with no sick
days until her last months of life hurled up hairy stuff several times a
week every week despite regular laxatone. Aside from my having to
scrape the stuff up after it had petrified if she did so when I was not
at home in an out-of-the-way place, there were no ill effects. She
died at 20, with ALL of her teeth and a lot of spunk, too. She was
always at her ideal weight, though she was free-fed only dry Science Diet.
In other words, she was genetically blessed. And hurled like a blowfish
regularly. Bless her heart.

dgk
March 16th 06, 12:56 PM
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:11:47 GMT, "Kelcey via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-lspets4660405mar13,0,3096401.column
>

>Just one vet's opinion.

It pretty well fits my cat history. I only had one cat that really
developed hairball upchucking, and he was eventually diagnosed with
IBD. If I had known that hairballs were not normal for cats then I
would have done something sooner, but he was one of my first two cats.

A few hairballs would seem normal but it a cat is regularly leaving
presents then I think that perhaps the cat should be seriously checked
out. On a related note, this next article talks about a way to treat
Crohn's Disease (a form of IBD), at least in humans:

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hscroh0316,0,3403142.story

There's a lot of IBD in my family so I take notice of articles on the
subject. In fact, when Nico (my deceased IBD cat) was first diagnosed
it just seemed like he was a full member of the family. By the time he
was diagnosed it was already becoming lymphoma.

Seems to me that the simple way to test something like this is just to
give the antibiotics and see who gets better, rather than having a
debate. Having to give three different antibiotics (likely in
different doses at varying times of the day) is not something that I'd
like to try with a cat however.

Buddy
March 16th 06, 06:04 PM
I have had 8 cats during my lifetime and they all have had hairballs.
Especially the long haired ones. Grooming them regularly cuts back on
the amount of fur they ingest. I, too, had a kitty who lived to be
over 20 and he had hairballs all through his live, with no other side
effects.

deci
March 16th 06, 07:01 PM
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:04:08 -0500, dgk > wrote:

>Good column in Newsday
>
>http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-lspets4660405mar13,0,3096401.column
>
>Feed chicken, not carbs.
My take on this? ALL cats get hairballs, whatever food you give them.
Occasionally, just occasionally, this MAY be indicitive of another
underlting problem, but to state that all hairballs are PROOF of
anything at all, is to say the least, just scaremongering

http://www.black-cat-gfx.co.uk/

"A cat is only technically an animal,
being divine" - Robert Lynd

---MIKE---
March 16th 06, 07:54 PM
I may be lucky but Tiger has never had a hairball. He is long haired
(Maine coon?), weighs 23 1/2 pounds and is almost seven years old. He
eats Wellness canned plus a little bit of dry as a treat. My
shorthaired female (Amber) does cough up a hairball once in a while.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

John Doe
March 16th 06, 08:11 PM
(---MIKE---) wrote:

> I may be lucky but Tiger has never had a hairball. He is long
> haired (Maine coon?), weighs 23 1/2 pounds and is almost seven
> years old. He eats Wellness canned plus a little bit of dry as a
> treat. My shorthaired female (Amber) does cough up a hairball
> once in a while.

Females probably groom themselves more.