PDA

View Full Version : Methimazole question

The Man Behind The Curtain
March 17th 06, 05:37 AM
Hello everyone. I've never posted here before but I was wondering if
there is an online site where I could purchase Methimazole for my cat.
Currently my vet is charging what I think is far too much ($60/100
pills) and I have found online sites where the drug can be purchased for
human consumption, so I thought a site for pets would be likely, but
haven't found one yet.

Thanks one and all.

John

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 17th 06, 05:43 AM
there is no difference except dosage
http://www.1800petmeds.com/pdetail.asp?SK=10491&SP=&WT=&MG=&PT=&AFFID=GG&ID=9342&siteID=qBNKlhsBsB4-jkTG%2APHW%2Ar9Fjwv6stamTA
but it is .69 a pill

http://www.entirelypets.com/tapazole.html 100 for 44.80

http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/buy/methimazole-generic-tapazole.htm
39.89

"The Man Behind The Curtain" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hello everyone. I've never posted here before but I was wondering if
> there is an online site where I could purchase Methimazole for my cat.
> Currently my vet is charging what I think is far too much ($60/100 pills)
> and I have found online sites where the drug can be purchased for human
> consumption, so I thought a site for pets would be likely, but haven't
> found one yet.
>
> Thanks one and all.
>

> John
>
> --
>

> Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

Foundryrat
March 17th 06, 07:38 AM
The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
> Hello everyone. I've never posted here before but I was wondering if
> there is an online site where I could purchase Methimazole for my cat.
> Currently my vet is charging what I think is far too much ($60/100
> pills) and I have found online sites where the drug can be purchased for
> human consumption, so I thought a site for pets would be likely, but
> haven't found one yet.
>
> Thanks one and all.
>

> John

my parents cat is on that, for thyroid right?
They are poor folk broke as **** lemme know what
you find online for cheap.

Steve
March 17th 06, 12:02 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
> Hello everyone. I've never posted here before but I was wondering if
> there is an online site where I could purchase Methimazole for my cat.
> Currently my vet is charging what I think is far too much ($60/100
> pills) and I have found online sites where the drug can be purchased for
> human consumption, so I thought a site for pets would be likely, but
> haven't found one yet.
>
> Thanks one and all.
>

> John
>
> --
>

> Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

If you go this route, please bear in mind that you have to have your
cat's T4 levels checked regularly. It's sometimes very difficult to
control T4 levels with methimazole.

This past year, I was spending a fortune buying methimazole, but an
even bigger fortune on all the vet appointments and blood tests
required to make sure that the methimazole was doing its job. In the
end, we found that my cat's response to the medication was just too
unpredictable. No matter what doseage we tried, we failed to keep his
T4 levels within the normal range.

This is when I decided to spend a big chunk of money all at once on
radioactive iodine therapy. It cost me a cool $1600, but (1) my cat is
now CURED and (2) it would not take very long AT ALL to spend $1600 on
vet appointments, blood tests and methimazole combined. In the end the
radioactive iodine seemed pretty cost effective.

Of course, I was lucky to have the $1600 on hand when I needed it. Not
everyone is so fortunate.

Whatever you end up doing, I wish you and your cat the best.

Steve

Wayne Boatwright
March 17th 06, 12:11 PM
On Thu 16 Mar 2006 10:37:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Man
Behind The Curtain?

> Hello everyone. I've never posted here before but I was wondering if
> there is an online site where I could purchase Methimazole for my cat.
> Currently my vet is charging what I think is far too much ($60/100
> pills) and I have found online sites where the drug can be purchased for
> human consumption, so I thought a site for pets would be likely, but
> haven't found one yet.
>
> Thanks one and all.

Try here, John...

http://tinyurl.com/ksabj

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Phil P.
March 17th 06, 03:51 PM
"The Man Behind The Curtain" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hello everyone. I've never posted here before but I was wondering if
> there is an online site where I could purchase Methimazole for my cat.
> Currently my vet is charging what I think is far too much ($60/100
> pills) and I have found online sites where the drug can be purchased for
> human consumption, so I thought a site for pets would be likely, but
> haven't found one yet.
>
> Thanks one and all.

Ask your vet to write a prescription and have it filled in any human
pharmacy. I recommend you ask for Tapazole- name brand rather than a
generic. In my experience, there's less or at least no discernible variation
from batch to batch with the name brand- this makes control much easier.

Also, you must be very careful about buying
medications online because you don't know where the drugs come from or even
if they're the real thing. If you do decide to buy the medication on line-
order it only from a well-known supplier.

Best of luck,

Phil

Foundryrat
March 20th 06, 07:53 AM
The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
> Hello everyone. I've never posted here before but I was wondering if
> there is an online site where I could purchase Methimazole for my cat.
> Currently my vet is charging what I think is far too much ($60/100
> pills) and I have found online sites where the drug can be purchased for
> human consumption, so I thought a site for pets would be likely, but
> haven't found one yet.
>
> Thanks one and all.
>

> John

yes you should have no problem getting something
online just research the website a bit and make
sure they have a good rep.