PDA

View Full Version : Re: Caring for an 11 year old cat?

MaryL
March 18th 06, 02:26 AM
"Julie" > wrote in message
> I've recently acquired an 11 year old cat. I took him in because my
> neighbors were moving and were going to dump him at the pound. Going
> by dog years it seems like he's getting on a bit. Are there any health
> issues I should be watching for? I've got a vet appointment scheduled
> for next week just to check things out. He seems pretty mellow, likes
> to sleep a lot, and sit on my lap.

At that age, you should request a senior panel (lab work), just as a
precaution to catch any problems "early." However, 11 years really is not
all that old. Holly will be 11 years old in June, and she looks and acts
like a young cat. I had a cat that lived to be "just shy of" 20, and my
next cat lived to be 16. Be sure to use premium cat food, preferably
canned.

Good for you for adopting this cat!! I simply can't understand people who
treat pets like disposable objects. To me, my cats are family and will be
with me forever.

MaryL

rrb
March 18th 06, 07:30 AM
MaryL wrote:
> "Julie" > wrote in message
>> I've recently acquired an 11 year old cat. I took him in because my
>> neighbors were moving and were going to dump him at the pound. Going
>> by dog years it seems like he's getting on a bit. Are there any health
>> issues I should be watching for? I've got a vet appointment scheduled
>> for next week just to check things out. He seems pretty mellow, likes
>> to sleep a lot, and sit on my lap.
>
> At that age, you should request a senior panel (lab work), just as a
> precaution to catch any problems "early." However, 11 years really is not
> all that old. Holly will be 11 years old in June, and she looks and acts
> like a young cat. I had a cat that lived to be "just shy of" 20, and my
> next cat lived to be 16. Be sure to use premium cat food, preferably
> canned

As an addendum to this for the original poster also make sure it is
"Senior" cat food. The OP might already know this but who knows? Further
advise would depend on next weeks vet exam, and the weight of the cat etc.

Good on ya for taking in this old one!

rrb

Unknown One
March 18th 06, 03:30 PM
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:26:52 -0600, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:

>> I've recently acquired an 11 year old cat. I took him in because my
>> neighbors were moving and were going to dump him at the pound. Going
>> by dog years it seems like he's getting on a bit. Are there any health
>> issues I should be watching for? I've got a vet appointment scheduled
>> for next week just to check things out. He seems pretty mellow, likes
>> to sleep a lot, and sit on my lap.
>
>At that age, you should request a senior panel (lab work), just as a
>precaution to catch any problems "early." However, 11 years really is not
>all that old. Holly will be 11 years old in June, and she looks and acts
>like a young cat. I had a cat that lived to be "just shy of" 20, and my
>next cat lived to be 16. Be sure to use premium cat food, preferably
>canned.
>
>Good for you for adopting this cat!! I simply can't understand people who
>treat pets like disposable objects. To me, my cats are family and will be
>with me forever.
>
>MaryL

Did they give you his toys and dishes and such so he has some of his old stuff? If not it
might be worth trying to get it from them.

Also bless you so much for taking him in.

As for care I would just add that you should feed him a good quality senior food whether
wet or dry and make sure he get regular vet visits since he is getting up there in age.

Where he is an older cat make sure the vet checks his teeth in case they need cleaning.
Lot of people forget about them.

God bless and good luck.