PDA

View Full Version : Re: Caring for an 11 year old cat?

dgk
March 18th 06, 03:40 AM
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:14:28 -0800, Julie > wrote:

>I've recently acquired an 11 year old cat. I took him in because my
>neighbors were moving and were going to dump him at the pound. Going
>by dog years it seems like he's getting on a bit. Are there any health
>issues I should be watching for? I've got a vet appointment scheduled
>for next week just to check things out. He seems pretty mellow, likes
>to sleep a lot, and sit on my lap.

I'm going to disagree with some of the good folks here. 11 is pretty
old for a cat. Plenty live longer but according to my vet and many
others, the majority of cats, even indoor, are dead by 13. You're
doing the right thing by taking him to the vet so let's see what the
vet says. Is that his regular vet? It would be good to use the same
one. Having a chart is one thing but I think the continuity helps them
get a feel for the cats.

It was very kind of you to take him in. I can never understand how
someone can abandon an animal that has shared their lives. It's better
to bring him to the pound than just leave him to fend for himself and
likely die miserably, but not much better.

MaryL
March 18th 06, 06:04 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:14:28 -0800, Julie > wrote:
>
>>I've recently acquired an 11 year old cat. I took him in because my
>>neighbors were moving and were going to dump him at the pound. Going
>>by dog years it seems like he's getting on a bit. Are there any health
>>issues I should be watching for? I've got a vet appointment scheduled
>>for next week just to check things out. He seems pretty mellow, likes
>>to sleep a lot, and sit on my lap.
>
> I'm going to disagree with some of the good folks here. 11 is pretty
> old for a cat. Plenty live longer but according to my vet and many
> others, the majority of cats, even indoor, are dead by 13.

In that case, your vet is *way* out of date. It's true that 11 is
considered a senior cat (many sources use that designation beginning at age
7), but it is not true that the majority of indoor cats are dead by 13.
Here is an article from HSUS, which lists the "average life span" for an
indoor-only cat at 15-18 years.

MaryL

MaryL
March 18th 06, 06:14 AM
news:[email protected]

> "dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:14:28 -0800, Julie > wrote:
>>
>>>I've recently acquired an 11 year old cat. I took him in because my
>>>neighbors were moving and were going to dump him at the pound. Going
>>>by dog years it seems like he's getting on a bit. Are there any health
>>>issues I should be watching for? I've got a vet appointment scheduled
>>>for next week just to check things out. He seems pretty mellow, likes
>>>to sleep a lot, and sit on my lap.
>>
>> I'm going to disagree with some of the good folks here. 11 is pretty
>> old for a cat. Plenty live longer but according to my vet and many
>> others, the majority of cats, even indoor, are dead by 13.
>>

> In that case, your vet is *way* out of date. It's true that 11 is
> considered a senior cat (many sources use that designation beginning at
> age 7), but it is not true that the majority of indoor cats are dead by
> 13. Here is an article from HSUS, which lists the "average life span" for
> an indoor-only cat at 15-18 years.
>
> MaryL

Sorry, here is the link...
http://tinyurl.com/p5ucg