PDA

View Full Version : cat food ratings?

March 18th 06, 05:41 PM
Hi -
Is there a site which has rated cat foods for nutritional qualities?
My cat suddenly is turning up his nose at what he's eaten for years. I
got him to down a little Deli Cat, but I wonder if it isn't more like a
treat and not something for him to eat steadily.

I think I spoiled him with Pounce treats (two per day) and a bit of
wet canned food every third day. I have a feeling he is just holdng
out now for the treats and 3rd day stuff and neglecting his Purina One
dry food.
thanks

Joe Canuck
March 18th 06, 05:46 PM
wrote:
> Hi -
> Is there a site which has rated cat foods for nutritional qualities?
> My cat suddenly is turning up his nose at what he's eaten for years. I
> got him to down a little Deli Cat, but I wonder if it isn't more like a
> treat and not something for him to eat steadily.
>
> I think I spoiled him with Pounce treats (two per day) and a bit of
> wet canned food every third day. I have a feeling he is just holdng
> out now for the treats and 3rd day stuff and neglecting his Purina One
> dry food.
> thanks

Unfortunately, your cat cannot read the ratings and really won't care
that what you have laid out has a 5-star rating... he may still refuse
it. :-D

PawsForThought
March 18th 06, 06:18 PM
wrote:
> Hi -
> Is there a site which has rated cat foods for nutritional qualities?
> My cat suddenly is turning up his nose at what he's eaten for years. I
> got him to down a little Deli Cat, but I wonder if it isn't more like a
> treat and not something for him to eat steadily.
>
> I think I spoiled him with Pounce treats (two per day) and a bit of
> wet canned food every third day. I have a feeling he is just holdng
> out now for the treats and 3rd day stuff and neglecting his Purina One
> dry food.
> thanks

Deli Cat really isn't a good food, and yes, like feeding treats. I
would highly recommend feeding a mostly canned diet. Here's an article
on feline nutrition. There is also a good site for cat food listings,
something like Karma Cat. I'm sure someone will be along who may know
what I"m talking about and can post the link for it. Here's the link
for Dr. Zoran's article:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/alphalinks3-a.html

You might also want to check this out:
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/dryfood.html
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00125.htm
http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch4.php
http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/contrast.html

Lauren

Cat Protector
March 18th 06, 09:12 PM
Here in our household my cats get canned food twice per day and also dry as
well. Because one of my cats had a UTI I ended up switching to Purina One
Urinary Tract Formula for the dry and apparently it has worked pretty well.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message

>> Hi -
>> Is there a site which has rated cat foods for nutritional qualities?
>> My cat suddenly is turning up his nose at what he's eaten for years. I
>> got him to down a little Deli Cat, but I wonder if it isn't more like a
>> treat and not something for him to eat steadily.
>>
>> I think I spoiled him with Pounce treats (two per day) and a bit of
>> wet canned food every third day. I have a feeling he is just holdng
>> out now for the treats and 3rd day stuff and neglecting his Purina One
>> dry food.
>> thanks
>
> Deli Cat really isn't a good food, and yes, like feeding treats. I
> would highly recommend feeding a mostly canned diet. Here's an article
> on feline nutrition. There is also a good site for cat food listings,
> something like Karma Cat. I'm sure someone will be along who may know
> what I"m talking about and can post the link for it. Here's the link
> for Dr. Zoran's article:
> http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/alphalinks3-a.html
>
> You might also want to check this out:
> http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html
> http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/dryfood.html
> http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00125.htm
> http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch4.php
> http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/contrast.html
>
> Lauren

March 19th 06, 01:59 AM
True, but I want to eliminate the junk before I experiment with diff.
foods.

I know someone who goes to extremes - has 5 bowls of diff. food out for
one cat - in case he's in the mood for one thing or another. Seems
like a waste of money.

April 5th 06, 09:39 PM
First of all, stay away from the supermarket garbage foods - even Iams
and Science Diet are full of junk. The big pet chains do not carry
much that is truly good. Try to find a small local pet shop that
carries brands like Wellness, Evolve, and many others. Many, if not
all, use "human grade" meats (as opposed to the "road-kill" used in
popular brands), veggies, fruit, the proper vitamins with absolutely
none of the filler, by-products digest, etc. Our local shop- Reigning
Dogs And Cats in Newtown, PA (just north of Philly) also has
refrigerated fresh food and even Kosher !! Our 2 cats (Havana Brown
and Tonkinese) don't even get tap water- Spring water only (they seem
to prefer Poland Spring). Yes, we are a bit anal about this- we treat
our cats better than most people treat their kids ( we'd rather have 20
cats than one kid). You can see the results in their eyes, coat, and
activity level. It is not a subtle difference. Also, other than the
occasional hairball they never seem to feel ill. Trips to the vet are
few and far between- usually just for their annual check-ups. Our vet
recently stated that ours were in better shape than any cats that have
been in his office including HIS own!! If you are near a Whole
Foods-they recently began to carry Wellness. That would be a great
place to start. Valerie

wrote:
> True, but I want to eliminate the junk before I experiment with diff.
> foods.
>
> I know someone who goes to extremes - has 5 bowls of diff. food out for
> one cat - in case he's in the mood for one thing or another. Seems
> like a waste of money.

April 5th 06, 11:46 PM
wrote:
> First of all, stay away from the supermarket garbage foods - even Iams
> and Science Diet are full of junk. The big pet chains do not carry

Can you spell out what you consider "junk?" Let me start off by being
specific:

Today, I just purchased Science Diet liver & chicken entree, kitten:
Water, liver, chicken, egg product, soybean meal, fish meal, brewers
rice, corn gluten meal, chicken fat preserved with mixed tocopherols
and citric acid, corn starch, soy protein isolate, and so on.

Some of the items may not be wonderful but "junk?" There's less junk in
this food than most human foods I would wager. I am quite pleased that
the first four things appear to be real food or liquids, like water,
liver, chicken and egg product. So that's good. That's definitely not
junk. Now the fifth food is soybean meal which is not great for a
carnivore but it is fifth down the line. What we do not know are the
weights of all these foods because the FDA has not gotten down on
labels yet in any foods to that point. But the natural foods eschew
meals, strange additives, and by-products as a point of pride and
marketing. I am always attracted to the idea that less is more here.

> much that is truly good. Try to find a small local pet shop that
> carries brands like Wellness, Evolve, and many others. Many, if not
> all, use "human grade" meats (as opposed to the "road-kill" used in
> popular brands), veggies, fruit, the proper vitamins with absolutely
> none of the filler, by-products digest, etc. Our local shop- Reigning
> Dogs And Cats in Newtown, PA (just north of Philly) also has
> refrigerated fresh food and even Kosher !! Our 2 cats (Havana Brown
> and Tonkinese) don't even get tap water- Spring water only (they seem
> to prefer Poland Spring). Yes, we are a bit anal about this- we treat
> our cats better than most people treat their kids ( we'd rather have 20
> cats than one kid). You can see the results in their eyes, coat, and
> activity level. It is not a subtle difference. Also, other than the
> occasional hairball they never seem to feel ill. Trips to the vet are
> few and far between- usually just for their annual check-ups. Our vet
> recently stated that ours were in better shape than any cats that have
> been in his office including HIS own!! If you are near a Whole
> Foods-they recently began to carry Wellness. That would be a great
> place to start. Valerie

That's nice your cats are in such good shape. I have traded off Science
Diet dry Light for other foods and noticed an improvement also. But
Science Diet is still quite well regulated and starting to introduce
"natural" products. But Newman never answered my email. And PetGuard
still has not told me what all is in their foods. As far as Evolve,
Wellness, and so forth, a common chain near me with a terribly plebian
name [Reigning Cats and Dogs has a certain cachet that Pet Warehouse
just misses] carries all those brands which is great. If my cat would
eat it, then it's just peachy but she prefers Science Diet at times so
it's a bit of a struggle. A wide spectrum is fine.

As far water, I prefer to give her filtered water since I know pretty
much what is in it and it's what I drink too. Poland Springs is
probably pretty good but I have not checked out bottled water in a long
time - I used to look at analyses on record, lab reports. And I agree
that many cats seem washed out and unfit from the really terrible foods
in the supermarkets. It's really quite sad. I think it may also be a
lack of stimulation which makes the cats seem so depressed and
listless, in addition to the junk food which you mention. Sometimes I
just hate to witness how people keep their pets all boxed up with fatty
food that tastes and looks like cardboard.

I have not tried giving my cat kosher food. Although I try not to give
her milk with meat...

PawsForThought
April 6th 06, 06:43 PM
wrote:
> That's nice your cats are in such good shape. I have traded off Science
> Diet dry Light for other foods and noticed an improvement also. But
> Science Diet is still quite well regulated and starting to introduce
> "natural" products. But Newman never answered my email. And PetGuard
> still has not told me what all is in their foods.

Interesting, I've been able to get information from Newman's and
PetGuard with absolutely no problems at all. I was sent a complete
nutritional analysis of their foods.

PawsForThought
April 6th 06, 06:47 PM
wrote:
If you are near a Whole
> Foods-they recently began to carry Wellness. That would be a great
> place to start. Valerie

I didn't know Whole Foods carried Wellness. I don't feed commerical
food myself, but I have some friends who feed Wellness so this is good
to know.

Lauren

April 7th 06, 12:49 AM
PawsForThought wrote:
> wrote:
> > That's nice your cats are in such good shape. I have traded off Science
> > Diet dry Light for other foods and noticed an improvement also. But
> > Science Diet is still quite well regulated and starting to introduce
> > "natural" products. But Newman never answered my email. And PetGuard
> > still has not told me what all is in their foods.
>
> Interesting, I've been able to get information from Newman's and
> PetGuard with absolutely no problems at all. I was sent a complete
> nutritional analysis of their foods.

Could you post it then?

Once before I stated this and someone had stated they had received
a "complete" analysis.

But when I asked for it to be posted, the analysis was what I would
call rudimentary, like the percent protein and fat and so forth.

I would like to see the minerals, like calcium, especially phosphorus,
on a "dry weight" basis. Or the "as fed" basis is fine, especially if
the
crucial moisture content is also listed. I would also like to see
the pH of the food listed. Is this what you meant by "complete?"