PDA

View Full Version : bladder problems

March 18th 06, 11:24 PM
My 4 year year old female has had bladder problems (blood in urine) and
has been under vet care. He wants her to eat canned food, but all she
wants is dry. I feel so sorry for her. Can anyone tell me what dry
food will help and what stores carry it? Or is there some other way to
get more water in her? Thank you, Erm

Joe Canuck
March 18th 06, 11:48 PM
wrote:
> My 4 year year old female has had bladder problems (blood in urine) and
> has been under vet care. He wants her to eat canned food, but all she
> wants is dry. I feel so sorry for her. Can anyone tell me what dry
> food will help and what stores carry it? Or is there some other way to
> get more water in her? Thank you, Erm

1) Drinking fountain.

2) Take the dry and add water to it until it turns soft, then serve like
that.

3) After you've done (2), you can then start mixing canned gradually
with that until she is completely on canned.

MaryL
March 19th 06, 12:14 AM
> wrote in message
> My 4 year year old female has had bladder problems (blood in urine) and
> has been under vet care. He wants her to eat canned food, but all she
> wants is dry. I feel so sorry for her. Can anyone tell me what dry
> food will help and what stores carry it? Or is there some other way to
> get more water in her? Thank you, Erm

Your vetrinarian's advice was sound. Canned food is always better, but it
is *vital* for a cat with bladder and urinary tract infections. Stick with
it! She will eventually eat. I know it is difficult in the meantime, and I
have gone through those "guilt pangs" while I was trying to acclimate my
twosome to a canned diet. However, they are now very satisfied with it and
are much healthier. Joe's advice is a good way to gradually work through
the transition from to dry to canned food. You could also experiment by
simply mixing some canned food with the dry to see if that will attract her,
then gradually reduce the amount of dry. Be sure to use premium cat food.

MaryL

March 19th 06, 01:06 AM
Thanks Joe and Mary. What canned cat foods do you think are best and
what stores carry them? What should I do if she won't eat the mixture
of dry and canned. I can't stand to hear her cry. Is there any one
brand of moist that cats enjoy the most?

Kelcey via CatKB.com
March 19th 06, 01:27 AM
>Thanks Joe and Mary. What canned cat foods do you think are best and
>what stores carry them? What should I do if she won't eat the mixture
>of dry and canned. I can't stand to hear her cry. Is there any one
>brand of moist that cats enjoy the most?

Your vet has food made for cats with bladder problems. Most likely Hill's
c/d. There is one called "c/d with chicken" that she may like.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 19th 06, 03:13 AM
>Thanks Joe and Mary. What canned cat foods do you think are best and
>what stores carry them? What should I do if she won't eat the mixture
>of dry and canned. I can't stand to hear her cry. Is there any one
>brand of moist that cats enjoy the most?

If she has bladder problems, it shouldn't just be any canned food, it should
be one low in minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, calcium. I used to
used Hill's c/d for a couple years, then when my cat was better, I switched
to Hill's Science Diet canned (it's almost identical to the c/d). I kept my
cat on canned for a few of months after he was first diagnosed but once he
got better and I got him to become more of a water drinker, I was able to
start feeding him dry again (Hill's) too. So now he eats both canned and dry
and is doing well. Encourage water drinking as much as you can. I have a 2
story house so I put water bowls on each floor. Fountains are good too if
your cat likes those. Mine likes to drink out of the bathroom sink too.
Whatever he wants when it comes to water consumption, he gets!

Anna

MaryL
March 19th 06, 03:14 AM
> wrote in message
> Thanks Joe and Mary. What canned cat foods do you think are best and
> what stores carry them? What should I do if she won't eat the mixture
> of dry and canned. I can't stand to hear her cry. Is there any one
> brand of moist that cats enjoy the most?

I use Wellness, and I have a friend who specializes in feline health and
behavior problems who has used that with cats that had UTI. Avoid fish
flavors, but other flavors are very good. It is also low in magnesium, and
that is important.

MaryL

March 19th 06, 03:39 AM
What stores carry Hills and Wellness? And again, thank you all so much.
I love my little one so much and am willing to help her no matter what.
Thank, Erm

MaryL
March 19th 06, 04:00 AM
> wrote in message
> What stores carry Hills and Wellness? And again, thank you all so much.
> I love my little one so much and am willing to help her no matter what.
> Thank, Erm

You can probably find Wellness if there any small "independent" pet food
stores near you. We don't have any in my area, so I order it online. I use
www.petfooddirect.com. If you use them, order by phone the first time and
ask to be placed on their mailign list. Also ask if any discounts are
currently available. That is what I did, and I received a very nice
discount. After that, check your email *frequently* because they often
offer discounts (anywhere from 13 percent to 22 percent), but the offers are
usually only good for 2 or 3 days. I always order at the 20 or 22 percent
discounts, and that just about covers the cost of freight. It ahs been well
worth it for my cats. Their cats are glossy and shiny, they have lots of
energy, and Holly completely lost all traces of dandruff (easily detectable
on her because she is a black cat).

MaryL

Anna via CatKB.com
March 19th 06, 04:23 AM
wrote:
>What stores carry Hills and Wellness? And again, thank you all so much.
>I love my little one so much and am willing to help her no matter what.
>Thank, Erm

Most pet stores carry Hill's. I don't know about Wellness. Please be sure
to call the pet company that makes Wellness if you use it to enquire as to
how much magnesium, etc. is in it. Ask for the amounts on a "dry matter
basis" as that is the most accurate measurement. Then compare it to Hill's
and see which is lower.
But if I were you, since your cat is having blood in her urine, I would use
the Hill's c/d from your vet for now as it is very low in magnesium,
phosphorus, etc.

Anna

Kelcey via CatKB.com
March 19th 06, 04:50 AM
wrote:
>What stores carry Hills and Wellness? And again, thank you all so much.
>I love my little one so much and am willing to help her no matter what.
>Thank, Erm

Your vet should be guiding you as to what food she should eat. Bladder
infections are very painful and can plague her for life if she doesn't eat
the right food made for that problem. See what your vet thinks would be
good for her.

---MIKE---
March 19th 06, 11:50 AM
To find Wellness dealers go to http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com and
scroll down to the bottom to find the dealer locator block.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

March 19th 06, 11:00 PM
Thanks to all of you for your help. My vet said Nutro should be good,
but I have not been able to find it. Does anyone have any eperience
with Nutro.
Thank you all so much, Erm

LDR via CatKB.com
March 19th 06, 11:45 PM
wrote:
>Thanks to all of you for your help. My vet said Nutro should be good,
>but I have not been able to find it. Does anyone have any eperience
>with Nutro.
>Thank you all so much, Erm

???? You need a second opinion. Nutro for bladder problems? Never heard a
vet recommend that one before.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 20th 06, 05:54 PM
>Thanks to all of you for your help. My vet said Nutro should be good,
>but I have not been able to find it. Does anyone have any eperience
>with Nutro.

Contact Nutro and ask them:

1. What the magnesium, phosphorus and calcium is on a "dry matter" basis
(*not* guaranteed analysis on bag)
2. What is the target urine p/h?

If they can't, or wont' provide this info to you, then I would not deal with
them.

Once you get the info, go to the Hill's site and compare the two. You should
be feeding the one with the lower mineral content and a target urine p/h of 6.
2-6.4 (normal acid). I don't know what kind of vet you have but all of this
is common knowledge to people who have cats that have bladder problems so a
vet should definitely know this. I agree, it's time for a second opinion.

Anna

March 22nd 06, 05:34 AM
Hi guys. Missy went to the vet today and he said her bladder was 80%
back to normal and still thinks Nutro is good. I bought dry and the
magnesium content is .085 and also pouches with a .038 magnesium
content. Is this considered good? I also ordered Hills dry and canned
which should arrive in a few days. He said her ph is fine and if the
problem happens again, he'll do further tests. He told me the tests
were not necessary at this point and that her remaining 20% bladder
thickness should go away soon. By the way the blood in her urine went
away after two days of antibiotics. Any thoughts and advice?
Thank you all so much for your help and kindness. I'm grateful to all of
you for caring. Thanks again, Erm