PDA

View Full Version : Clearing the air


Sherri
March 19th 06, 03:40 AM
Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
pride...........

3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
again.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
here.

Have a great weekend and week

Sherri

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 19th 06, 03:47 AM
Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time. If you
were well informed about the procedure than did it than I could understand
someone saying something.
I also declawed our cats many many years ago before my current vet had
become certified. He showed me the truth NEVER AGAIN. Now the only reason
to declaw is when it is totally medical necessary like for my rumble who
almost had to have it done because of his epilepsy; he was ripping his face
off.

You learned you made a mistake, you learned your lesson, you have corrected
your current view on the matter. Enough said and done.

I learn all the time when I come here except for a few nut balls the group
is great.

"Sherri" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
> pride...........
>
> 3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
> research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
> started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
> BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
> and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
> again.
>
> Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
> here.
>
> Have a great weekend and week
>
> Sherri
>

-L.
March 19th 06, 04:08 AM
Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
> Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time.

Speak for yourself!! I can guarantee you that Phil, Megan, Sherry,
Cheryl and a number of others have never declaed cats!!!!!!

-L.

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 19th 06, 04:09 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
>> Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time.
>
> Speak for yourself!! I can guarantee you that Phil, Megan, Sherry,
> Cheryl and a number of others have never declaed cats!!!!!!
>
> -L.
>
What do the words I think mean to you L!

MaryL
March 19th 06, 04:55 AM
"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
...
> Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time. If you
> were well informed about the procedure than did it than I could understand
> someone saying something.
> I also declawed our cats many many years ago before my current vet had
> become certified. He showed me the truth NEVER AGAIN. Now the only
> reason to declaw is when it is totally medical necessary like for my
> rumble who almost had to have it done because of his epilepsy; he was
> ripping his face off.
>
> You learned you made a mistake, you learned your lesson, you have
> corrected your current view on the matter. Enough said and done.
>
> I learn all the time when I come here except for a few nut balls the
> group is great.
>


I have never declawed any of my cats, but that is really due to luck and
good fortune. Years ago, I actually planned to declaw my wonderful friend
because I did not know what the procedure involved (that was before the days
of the Internet and easy access to newsgroups such as this one). I
visualized the procedure as a simple little surgery that would remove the
nail and *roots* of the nail. I had *no idea* that it is actually
amputation!! Fortunately, I did not have it done, and I will be forever
grateful for that. Ironically, I soon learned (as have many others) that it
was very easy to train my cat to use a scratching post. So, the surgery
would have been both cruel and unnecessary -- but, as I said, it was simply
"luck" that saved my dear friend's claws. Once I learned what the procedure
involved, I knew that I would *never* subject any cat to that barbaric
practice. At the same time, I do have compassion for anyone who has had
their cat declawed while under the same type of mistaken assumption as I
was. My anger and disdain are reserved for the person who goes ahead with
declawing even *after* learning what the operation actually entails.

Years later, I did adopt a beautiful little cat who had been declawed on
*all four* paws. She was a wonderful, sweet, angelic little girl. She
still wanted to "scratch" even without her claws, so I got her a "scratching
post" covered with a soft fabric, and she loved it -- she would have been
very easy to train but was never given that chance. She compensated pretty
well for her lack of claws, but she never had the grace and agility of all
of my other cats, and she developed arthritic pain in her front paws that I
believe can be attributed to the declaw. She lived to be 16. Here is a
picture of her, taken when she was 15 (a photo taken by a friend of mine who
is a professional photographer and who gave me permission to post the
photo): http://tinyurl.com/fajhr

MaryL

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 19th 06, 04:59 AM
For us it was 20 years ago when it was actually recommended to do it. Our
vet at that time did not tell everything about it when we asked. It took
our current vet to tell us the truth and NEVER AGAIN

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
> @linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
> ...
>> Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time. If you
>> were well informed about the procedure than did it than I could
>> understand someone saying something.
>> I also declawed our cats many many years ago before my current vet had
>> become certified. He showed me the truth NEVER AGAIN. Now the only
>> reason to declaw is when it is totally medical necessary like for my
>> rumble who almost had to have it done because of his epilepsy; he was
>> ripping his face off.
>>
>> You learned you made a mistake, you learned your lesson, you have
>> corrected your current view on the matter. Enough said and done.
>>
>> I learn all the time when I come here except for a few nut balls the
>> group is great.
>>
>
>
> I have never declawed any of my cats, but that is really due to luck and
> good fortune. Years ago, I actually planned to declaw my wonderful friend
> because I did not know what the procedure involved (that was before the
> days of the Internet and easy access to newsgroups such as this one). I
> visualized the procedure as a simple little surgery that would remove the
> nail and *roots* of the nail. I had *no idea* that it is actually
> amputation!! Fortunately, I did not have it done, and I will be forever
> grateful for that. Ironically, I soon learned (as have many others) that
> it was very easy to train my cat to use a scratching post. So, the
> surgery would have been both cruel and unnecessary -- but, as I said, it
> was simply "luck" that saved my dear friend's claws. Once I learned what
> the procedure involved, I knew that I would *never* subject any cat to
> that barbaric practice. At the same time, I do have compassion for anyone
> who has had their cat declawed while under the same type of mistaken
> assumption as I was. My anger and disdain are reserved for the person who
> goes ahead with declawing even *after* learning what the operation
> actually entails.
>
> Years later, I did adopt a beautiful little cat who had been declawed on
> *all four* paws. She was a wonderful, sweet, angelic little girl. She
> still wanted to "scratch" even without her claws, so I got her a
> "scratching post" covered with a soft fabric, and she loved it -- she
> would have been very easy to train but was never given that chance. She
> compensated pretty well for her lack of claws, but she never had the grace
> and agility of all of my other cats, and she developed arthritic pain in
> her front paws that I believe can be attributed to the declaw. She lived
> to be 16. Here is a picture of her, taken when she was 15 (a photo taken
> by a friend of mine who is a professional photographer and who gave me
> permission to post the photo): http://tinyurl.com/fajhr
>
> MaryL
>
>

MaryL
March 19th 06, 05:02 AM
"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
.. .
> For us it was 20 years ago when it was actually recommended to do it. Our
> vet at that time did not tell everything about it when we asked. It took
> our current vet to tell us the truth and NEVER AGAIN
>
>

The time when I "almost" had my cat declawed goes even farther back than
that -- to 1966.

MaryL

Charlie Wilkes
March 19th 06, 05:54 AM
On 18 Mar 2006 18:40:28 -0800, "Sherri" >
wrote:

>Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
>pride...........
>
>3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
>research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
>started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
>BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
>and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
>again.
>
>Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
>here.
>
>Have a great weekend and week
>
>Sherri

Yeah, this group has a lot of people who know quite a bit about cats
and are passionately attached to them.

When you think of all the misery cats experience in this world, it's
good that they have such advocates.

But too much moral concensus breeds intellectual complaisance, a sense
that "this is my social niche, the hard questions have been answered,
and now all I gotta do is get along."

Like the bar in "Cheers."

And, of course, that is where moral rot sets in, because we are all
guilty of something, and the mandate to get along requires us to
overlook the sins of our friends while enforcing group solidarity with
ritual stonings.

But, the nice thing about Usenet is you can stone back. Or just get
stoned and not care.

Charlie

Miami Jones
March 19th 06, 03:18 PM
oh! you're better now!
lol

I never knew you had your cats declawed...

I can't figure why you would want to clear the air, I still don't quite get
your meaning here.

Im sure you're mature enough to not beat yourself up over this. of course
you're not.

Where you been! you been hiding out!

did you miss me?

of course you didn't lurker! i knew you was there all along.

what's next? D. goin say she had her cats declawed too?

Most of the poeple I know personally whos cats have been declawed? they have
no remorse about it, of course I may or may not say anything, just depending
on how the topic comes up.

How many cats you got now?



"Sherri" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
> pride...........
>
> 3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
> research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
> started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
> BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
> and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
> again.
>
> Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
> here.
>
> Have a great weekend and week
>
> Sherri
>

Joe Canuck
March 19th 06, 03:24 PM
Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:

> Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time.


Not me. I investigated it many years ago and decided against it.



> If you
> were well informed about the procedure than did it than I could understand
> someone saying something.
> I also declawed our cats many many years ago before my current vet had
> become certified. He showed me the truth NEVER AGAIN. Now the only reason
> to declaw is when it is totally medical necessary like for my rumble who
> almost had to have it done because of his epilepsy; he was ripping his face
> off.
>
> You learned you made a mistake, you learned your lesson, you have corrected
> your current view on the matter. Enough said and done.
>
> I learn all the time when I come here except for a few nut balls the group
> is great.
>
> "Sherri" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
>> pride...........
>>
>> 3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
>> research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
>> started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
>> BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
>> and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
>> again.
>>
>> Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
>> here.
>>
>> Have a great weekend and week
>>
>> Sherri
>>
>
>

Miami Jones
March 19th 06, 04:28 PM
Joe Canuck wrote:
> Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
>
> > Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time.
>
>
> Not me. I investigated it many years ago and decided against it.

yeah she does kinda soften the blow by draggin EVERYONE into her
confession.
lol

maybe we better cut her some slack.

I have never declawed a cat just because I wasn't going to spend the
money on it.

but even if I had the money, I wouldn't have done it

I read somewhere, or someone was telling me, "when cats begin to claw
the furniture, this is when people resort to putting the cat outside"
(which is not cool either)

MJ

Sherri
March 19th 06, 07:58 PM
Miami Jones~~~ I have two cats, and I am fighting the urge to go to the
SPCA and get another. Until we move in June, I am only allowed 2 pets
(but I have 3,long story)


I have gone in and watched the SX with a declaw,the boss doesnt like to
do them BUT does it to make sure its done right so a poor cat doesnt
end up losing the whole foot because some wacked out vet did it wrong.

Phil P.
March 19th 06, 08:19 PM
"Sherri" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
> pride...........
>
> 3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
> research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
> started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
> BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
> and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
> again.
>
> Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
> here.
>
> Have a great weekend and week
>
> Sherri


That took courage, Sherri- I respect that. You've just the made the world a
better place for cats. Please pass on to others what you have learned about
declawing and make the world for cats even better.

Welcome to the ranks of the claw conservatives!



Phil

cybercat
March 19th 06, 08:34 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Sherri" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
> > pride...........
> >
> > 3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
> > research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
> > started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
> > BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
> > and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
> > again.
> >
> > Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
> > here.
> >
> > Have a great weekend and week
> >
> > Sherri
>
>
> That took courage, Sherri- I respect that.

I do too. Way to go, Sherri.

Judy
March 20th 06, 05:54 AM
"Sherri" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
> pride...........
>
> 3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
> research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
> started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
> BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
> and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
> again.
>
> Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
> here.
>
> Have a great weekend and week
>
> Sherri

That's great Sherri!

I hope you will remember to some research when it comes to all aspects of
your life. The fact that people don't do this, results in regrets.

mlbriggs
March 20th 06, 09:13 PM
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:55:25 -0600, MaryL wrote:

>
> "Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
> @linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message
> ...
>> Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time. If you
>> were well informed about the procedure than did it than I could understand
>> someone saying something.
>> I also declawed our cats many many years ago before my current vet had
>> become certified. He showed me the truth NEVER AGAIN. Now the only
>> reason to declaw is when it is totally medical necessary like for my
>> rumble who almost had to have it done because of his epilepsy; he was
>> ripping his face off.
>>
>> You learned you made a mistake, you learned your lesson, you have
>> corrected your current view on the matter. Enough said and done.
>>
>> I learn all the time when I come here except for a few nut balls the
>> group is great.
>>
>
>
> I have never declawed any of my cats, but that is really due to luck and
> good fortune. Years ago, I actually planned to declaw my wonderful friend
> because I did not know what the procedure involved (that was before the days
> of the Internet and easy access to newsgroups such as this one). I
> visualized the procedure as a simple little surgery that would remove the
> nail and *roots* of the nail. I had *no idea* that it is actually
> amputation!! Fortunately, I did not have it done, and I will be forever
> grateful for that. Ironically, I soon learned (as have many others) that it
> was very easy to train my cat to use a scratching post. So, the surgery
> would have been both cruel and unnecessary -- but, as I said, it was simply
> "luck" that saved my dear friend's claws. Once I learned what the procedure
> involved, I knew that I would *never* subject any cat to that barbaric
> practice. At the same time, I do have compassion for anyone who has had
> their cat declawed while under the same type of mistaken assumption as I
> was. My anger and disdain are reserved for the person who goes ahead with
> declawing even *after* learning what the operation actually entails.
>
> Years later, I did adopt a beautiful little cat who had been declawed on
> *all four* paws. She was a wonderful, sweet, angelic little girl. She
> still wanted to "scratch" even without her claws, so I got her a "scratching
> post" covered with a soft fabric, and she loved it -- she would have been
> very easy to train but was never given that chance. She compensated pretty
> well for her lack of claws, but she never had the grace and agility of all
> of my other cats, and she developed arthritic pain in her front paws that I
> believe can be attributed to the declaw. She lived to be 16. Here is a
> picture of her, taken when she was 15 (a photo taken by a friend of mine who
> is a professional photographer and who gave me permission to post the
> photo): http://tinyurl.com/fajhr
>
> MaryL


She was a beautiful cat. I am sure she had a very good life with you.
When I was growing up, we really didn't know how to take care of cats.
Though there were not a lot of cars, we did lose some that way. They were
allowed to roam at will and dogs and nasty neighbors were also a problem.
MLB

Sherri
March 21st 06, 01:20 AM
Judy wrote:
> "Sherri" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
> > pride...........
> >
> > 3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
> > research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
> > started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
> > BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
> > and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
> > again.
> >
> > Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
> > here.
> >
> > Have a great weekend and week
> >
> > Sherri
>
> That's great Sherri!
>
> I hope you will remember to some research when it comes to all aspects of
> your life. The fact that people don't do this, results in regrets.


Thank you everyone :)

I do a lot of research now.I have a bad back and cant surf a lot online
but I do my best (cant sit for long periods of time)

I want another dog, and am researching. I want to learn as much as
possible about all breeds. If I come across a pure breed,I know what to
look for (long term health issuses) and if I happen to find the perfect
mix breed,same thing ( what health problems I'll face in the next 15-20
yrs.)(if all goes as planned it about 2 yrs before my next dog,remember
I want another cat too)

I will not get any other fur baby if I cant provide the best of care
(vet visit,food,excerise etc)

Shardonay
March 21st 06, 03:02 AM
Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
> Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time.

Huh????????

Shardonay
March 21st 06, 03:02 AM
Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:

> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
>>
>>>Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time.
>>
>>Speak for yourself!! I can guarantee you that Phil, Megan, Sherry,
>>Cheryl and a number of others have never declaed cats!!!!!!
>>
>>-L.
>>
>
> What do the words I think mean to you L!
>
>
Apparently nothing.

Miami Jones
March 21st 06, 03:39 AM
"Sherri" > wrote in message
> I do a lot of research now.I have a bad back and cant surf a lot online
> but I do my best (cant sit for long periods of time)

sorry to hear that, can't you get a laptop and sit in a lazy boy recliner?

or...drag your pc over next to the lazy boy, put the keyboard on your lap or
something or get a tv dinner stand thingy for the keyboard


> I want another dog, and am researching. I want to learn as much as

collies are great, irish setters are great, german shepherds are
great...thing with german shepherd, if he is very large, he is going to have
hip problems

mutts are good too...like that dog from Annie...?
the fury one?

You could always get a dog of a man make him sit beg stay come rollover
fetch you a cold beer and what not