PDA

View Full Version : Sideways kitten

March 21st 06, 05:46 PM
Silly question methinks, but do cats ever grow out of that sideways
kitten run? I ask because none of my adult cats have ever done it.
However my "kitten" who is easly the size of a small serval, spends a
good part of the day crashing through the house sideways with his fur
bristling like a rhodesian ridgeback. The sight of this huge cat
playing like a 3 month old kitten is the funniest thing I've ever seen.
He's grown so big he barely fits through the door head to sideways
tail.
Is this a lifelong behavior?
Thanks.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 21st 06, 06:04 PM
>Silly question methinks, but do cats ever grow out of that sideways
>kitten run? I ask because none of my adult cats have ever done it.
>However my "kitten" who is easly the size of a small serval, spends a
>good part of the day crashing through the house sideways with his fur
>bristling like a rhodesian ridgeback. The sight of this huge cat
>playing like a 3 month old kitten is the funniest thing I've ever seen.
>He's grown so big he barely fits through the door head to sideways
>tail.
>Is this a lifelong behavior?
>Thanks.

My grown up females don't do it anymore but my male still does (7 yrs old).
So maybe it's a playful, crazy male thing (?); Or maybe it depends on the
male -mine is pretty hyperactive and I don't see him slowing down any time
soon.

Anna

March 21st 06, 09:53 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Silly question methinks, but do cats ever grow out of that sideways
> kitten run? I ask because none of my adult cats have ever done it.
> However my "kitten" who is easly the size of a small serval, spends a
> good part of the day crashing through the house sideways with his fur
> bristling like a rhodesian ridgeback. The sight of this huge cat
> playing like a 3 month old kitten is the funniest thing I've ever seen.
> He's grown so big he barely fits through the door head to sideways
> tail.
> Is this a lifelong behavior?
> Thanks.

We need to see this. :)

-L.
March 21st 06, 11:47 PM
wrote:
> Silly question methinks, but do cats ever grow out of that sideways
> kitten run? I ask because none of my adult cats have ever done it.
> However my "kitten" who is easly the size of a small serval, spends a
> good part of the day crashing through the house sideways with his fur
> bristling like a rhodesian ridgeback. The sight of this huge cat
> playing like a 3 month old kitten is the funniest thing I've ever seen.
> He's grown so big he barely fits through the door head to sideways
> tail.
> Is this a lifelong behavior?

For some cats, yes. I think it's a survival behavior - they tend to do
it when they are scared and puffed-up. I also think they play "scared"
for fun.

-L.

March 22nd 06, 05:43 AM
Oh, it's delightful. Sometimes when he's doing it through the doorway,
his tail touches the door and then he jumps about a foot. He's just
absurd. He also sleeps upside down with his legs straight in the air,
sits up like a prairie dog when he's trying to see something up high,
and tries to pull me out of the shower with his paws because he's
afraid the water will get me. I've had probably close to 15 cats in my
day and never one quite as ridiculous as him.

cybercat
March 22nd 06, 06:02 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Oh, it's delightful. Sometimes when he's doing it through the doorway,
> his tail touches the door and then he jumps about a foot. He's just
> absurd. He also sleeps upside down with his legs straight in the air,
> sits up like a prairie dog when he's trying to see something up high,
> and tries to pull me out of the shower with his paws because he's
> afraid the water will get me. I've had probably close to 15 cats in my
> day and never one quite as ridiculous as him.

Please. :) We need movies.