PDA

View Full Version : Senator Bill Frist: Dr. Mengele to Cats


guess
March 22nd 06, 12:57 AM
I came across this article in another newsgroup, I imagine most of you might
have already seen this but it was news to me. The only reason this selfish
prick is apologizing is because of politics. Sorry for the harsh words but
just the thought of someone as cruel and selfish as him possibly becoming
President is sickening.

ps. Before anyone says I'm politically motivated to post this, note that
I'm in Canada, I couldn't care less about American politics but I do hate
people who torture animals for their own personal enjoyment, gain, or
because they simply have no respect for life other than their own.

http://www.upi.com/inc/view.php?StoryID=20021231-071056-3546r

Frist asked to atone for killing cats
By DEE ANN DIVIS
Science and Technology Editor

WASHINGTON, Dec. 31 (UPI) -- Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist,
R-Tenn., is being asked by an animal advocacy group to support
legislation for better animal treatment to make up for fraudulently
adopting cats from animal shelters then experimenting on and killing
them while he was a medical student.

A Dec. 31 letter from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
asked Frist to make amends by pressing for reforms that would replace
old-style tests where animals are subjected to painful and sometimes
deadly procedures with newer, more humane approaches. They also
requested that he help fund research to find non-animal alternatives.

***************
Frist acknowledged in a 1989 book that he routinely killed cats while
an ambitious medical student at Harvard Medical School in the 1970s.
His office said it had no record on how many cats died. Frist disclosed
that he went to animal shelters and pretended to adopt the cats,
telling shelter personnel he intended to keep them as pets. Instead he
used them to sharpen his surgical skills, killing them in the process.

*****************

The newly elected leader of the Senate Republicans revealed the
practice in his book "Transplant: A Heart Surgeon's Account of the
Life-and-Death Dramas of the New Medicine."

"It was a heinous and dishonest thing to do," Frist wrote, in a passage
quoted by The Boston Globe. On Tuesday, Frist's press aide, Nick Smith,
told United Press International that "Senator Frist denounces the
activities that he did while he was in medical school -- as he has done
before."

It is not clear if Frist's actions were illegal. Many states ban
shelters from knowingly letting their animals be taken for such
purposes.

Massachusetts put such a ban in place in 1983. Frist was a student in
the Boston area from 1974 to 1978. A total of 14 states have passed
such laws. Four states -- Iowa, Minnesota, Utah and Oklahoma -- still
have laws that allow labs to demand the release of animals for
experimental use.

But such regulations, called pound seizure laws, only govern the
actions of the shelters.

"The pound seizure law probably would not apply there because the
shelter did not intentionally sell the animal to him for this purpose,"
said Debora Bresch, a lawyer and a lobbyist for the American Society
for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

"They thought they were adopting the animal out to him," said Bresch.
"What he did was fraudulent and probably was illegal."

"It would probably would be considered cruel back even then," added
Stephen Musso, senior vice president and chief of operations of ASPCA.

Though Musso said he personally had not heard about the Frist incident,
he told UPI, "We wouldn't want to see anybody taking an animal out of
an animal shelter and doing anything with it -- first of all that would
be harmful; second of all, different than the intentions that they gave
to the people at that shelter or humane organization."

Attitudes toward animal experimentation have shifted, said Gary
Patronek, director of the Tufts Center for Animals and Public Policy in
North Grafton, Mass.

"The fact that laws have passed prohibiting the practice of pound
seizure in 14 states is evidence of the fact that society's attitudes
have changed," Patronek told UPI. "The laws reflect the attitudes. If
there isn't a broad social consensus about something, then typically
the laws don't change."

The demographics have changed also. By the end of 2000, a total of 34
percent of American households had at least one cat -- a sharp rise of
8 percent in only two years. The American Pet Products Manufacturers
Association also said in their 2001-2002 National Pet Owner Survey that
39 percent of all U.S. households owned at least one dog in 2000, about
the same percentage as in 1998.

Though Frist's practice has been known for 11 years, the matter appears
to be gathering new attention since his election as Senate majority
leader. E-mail with copies of news articles mentioning the incident are
bouncing around the Internet, said Bresch.

One Frist supporter said the senator's opponents are fueling the
interest in the issue.

"What is happening here is that people are doing profiles of the
senator, and they are desperate to find something wrong with him and to
come up with something bad in his past," he pointed out.

Whether Frist will come to the aid of animal legislative causes remains
to be seen. His spokesman said they had not seen the PETA letter and
therefore would not comment on it.

PETA, normally more combative and high-profile, took a somewhat
restrained tone in its letter. There was no mistaking PETA's opinion,
however, as the organization asked Frist to make an effort on the
animals' behalf.

"There could be no better way of making some small amends to those
animals whose trust you betrayed when you took them from shelters," the
letter said.

(With reporting by Nicholas M. Horrock in Washington)

Helen Miles
March 22nd 06, 01:32 AM
"guess" > wrote in message

>
> PETA, normally more combative and high-profile, took a somewhat
> restrained tone in its letter. There was no mistaking PETA's opinion,
> however, as the organization asked Frist to make an effort on the
> animals' behalf.
>
> "There could be no better way of making some small amends to those
> animals whose trust you betrayed when you took them from shelters," the
> letter said.
>
> (With reporting by Nicholas M. Horrock in Washington)

I don't normally support the actions of PETA, but SCUM like this
shouldn't be allowed anywhere near public office. They should be locked
up and the key thrown away.

God help America, if they have a$$holes like this in power. I thought
the UK was bad, but you guys have it 100 times worse.

Helen M


--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
March 22nd 06, 05:19 AM
guess wrote:

> I came across this article in another newsgroup, I imagine most of you might
> have already seen this but it was news to me. The only reason this selfish
> prick is apologizing is because of politics. Sorry for the harsh words but
> just the thought of someone as cruel and selfish as him possibly becoming
> President is sickening.
>
> ps. Before anyone says I'm politically motivated to post this, note that
> I'm in Canada, I couldn't care less about American politics but I do hate
> people who torture animals for their own personal enjoyment, gain, or
> because they simply have no respect for life other than their own.

Well, that's anonther reason to oust the Republicans, next
election!

--
NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
March 22nd 06, 05:20 AM
Helen Miles wrote:

> "guess" > wrote in message
>
>
>>PETA, normally more combative and high-profile, took a somewhat
>>restrained tone in its letter. There was no mistaking PETA's opinion,
>>however, as the organization asked Frist to make an effort on the
>>animals' behalf.
>>
>>"There could be no better way of making some small amends to those
>>animals whose trust you betrayed when you took them from shelters," the
>>letter said.
>>
>>(With reporting by Nicholas M. Horrock in Washington)
>
>
> I don't normally support the actions of PETA, but SCUM like this
> shouldn't be allowed anywhere near public office. They should be locked
> up and the key thrown away.
>
> God help America, if they have a$$holes like this in power. I thought
> the UK was bad, but you guys have it 100 times worse.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you! (And no relief in
sight.)

>
> Helen M
>
>

--
NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

guess
March 23rd 06, 09:50 PM
"guess" > wrote in message
...
>I came across this article in another newsgroup, I imagine most of you
>might
> have already seen this but it was news to me. The only reason this
> selfish
> prick is apologizing is because of politics. Sorry for the harsh words
> but
> just the thought of someone as cruel and selfish as him possibly becoming
> President is sickening.
>
> ps. Before anyone says I'm politically motivated to post this, note that
> I'm in Canada, I couldn't care less about American politics but I do hate
> people who torture animals for their own personal enjoyment, gain, or
> because they simply have no respect for life other than their own.

I should have not said "torture" and instead have said "harmed". Sorry.

guess
March 23rd 06, 09:52 PM
"guess" > wrote in message
...
>I came across this article in another newsgroup, I imagine most of you
>might
> have already seen this but it was news to me. The only reason this
> selfish
> prick is apologizing is because of politics. Sorry for the harsh words
> but
> just the thought of someone as cruel and selfish as him possibly becoming
> President is sickening.
>
> ps. Before anyone says I'm politically motivated to post this, note that
> I'm in Canada, I couldn't care less about American politics but I do hate
> people who torture animals for their own personal enjoyment, gain, or
> because they simply have no respect for life other than their own.

I should have not said "torture" and instead have said "harm". Sorry.

March 24th 06, 10:52 AM
In article >,
"guess" > wrote:

> "The pound seizure law probably would not apply there because the
> shelter did not intentionally sell the animal to him for this purpose,"
> said Debora Bresch, a lawyer and a lobbyist for the American Society
> for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Are there laws against vivsection? Did Frist perform vivsections on
these animals?

Shiral
March 24th 06, 05:53 PM
Yup, God help us, indeed. As for Frist, I'm not about to trust any
doctor who diagnoses a patient (Terri Schiavo) on the basis of a video,
and I was really glad when the autopsy on the poor woman made an a** of
Frist. Not that he needs much help in that department. But this
business of practicing his surgery skills on those poor cats really
seals the deal--Keep the White House A Frist-Free Zone!

M

lori
March 26th 06, 04:54 PM
"guess" > wrote in message
...
>I came across this article in another newsgroup, I imagine most of you
>might
> have already seen this but it was news to me. The only reason this
> selfish
> prick is apologizing is because of politics. Sorry for the harsh words
> but
> just the thought of someone as cruel and selfish as him possibly becoming
> President is sickening.
>
> ps. Before anyone says I'm politically motivated to post this, note that
> I'm in Canada, I couldn't care less about American politics but I do hate
> people who torture animals for their own personal enjoyment, gain, or
> because they simply have no respect for life other than their own.
>
> http://www.upi.com/inc/view.php?StoryID=20021231-071056-3546r
>
> Frist asked to atone for killing cats
> By DEE ANN DIVIS
> Science and Technology Editor
>
> WASHINGTON, Dec. 31 (UPI) -- Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist,
> R-Tenn., is being asked by an animal advocacy group to support
> legislation for better animal treatment to make up for fraudulently
> adopting cats from animal shelters then experimenting on and killing
> them while he was a medical student.
>
> A Dec. 31 letter from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
> asked Frist to make amends by pressing for reforms that would replace
> old-style tests where animals are subjected to painful and sometimes
> deadly procedures with newer, more humane approaches. They also
> requested that he help fund research to find non-animal alternatives.
>
> ***************
> Frist acknowledged in a 1989 book that he routinely killed cats while
> an ambitious medical student at Harvard Medical School in the 1970s.
> His office said it had no record on how many cats died. Frist disclosed
> that he went to animal shelters and pretended to adopt the cats,
> telling shelter personnel he intended to keep them as pets. Instead he
> used them to sharpen his surgical skills, killing them in the process.
>
> *****************
>
> The newly elected leader of the Senate Republicans revealed the
> practice in his book "Transplant: A Heart Surgeon's Account of the
> Life-and-Death Dramas of the New Medicine."
>
> "It was a heinous and dishonest thing to do," Frist wrote, in a passage
> quoted by The Boston Globe. On Tuesday, Frist's press aide, Nick Smith,
> told United Press International that "Senator Frist denounces the
> activities that he did while he was in medical school -- as he has done
> before."
>
> It is not clear if Frist's actions were illegal. Many states ban
> shelters from knowingly letting their animals be taken for such
> purposes.
>
> Massachusetts put such a ban in place in 1983. Frist was a student in
> the Boston area from 1974 to 1978. A total of 14 states have passed
> such laws. Four states -- Iowa, Minnesota, Utah and Oklahoma -- still
> have laws that allow labs to demand the release of animals for
> experimental use.
>
> But such regulations, called pound seizure laws, only govern the
> actions of the shelters.
>
> "The pound seizure law probably would not apply there because the
> shelter did not intentionally sell the animal to him for this purpose,"
> said Debora Bresch, a lawyer and a lobbyist for the American Society
> for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
>
> "They thought they were adopting the animal out to him," said Bresch.
> "What he did was fraudulent and probably was illegal."
>
> "It would probably would be considered cruel back even then," added
> Stephen Musso, senior vice president and chief of operations of ASPCA.
>
> Though Musso said he personally had not heard about the Frist incident,
> he told UPI, "We wouldn't want to see anybody taking an animal out of
> an animal shelter and doing anything with it -- first of all that would
> be harmful; second of all, different than the intentions that they gave
> to the people at that shelter or humane organization."
>
> Attitudes toward animal experimentation have shifted, said Gary
> Patronek, director of the Tufts Center for Animals and Public Policy in
> North Grafton, Mass.
>
> "The fact that laws have passed prohibiting the practice of pound
> seizure in 14 states is evidence of the fact that society's attitudes
> have changed," Patronek told UPI. "The laws reflect the attitudes. If
> there isn't a broad social consensus about something, then typically
> the laws don't change."
>
> The demographics have changed also. By the end of 2000, a total of 34
> percent of American households had at least one cat -- a sharp rise of
> 8 percent in only two years. The American Pet Products Manufacturers
> Association also said in their 2001-2002 National Pet Owner Survey that
> 39 percent of all U.S. households owned at least one dog in 2000, about
> the same percentage as in 1998.
>
> Though Frist's practice has been known for 11 years, the matter appears
> to be gathering new attention since his election as Senate majority
> leader. E-mail with copies of news articles mentioning the incident are
> bouncing around the Internet, said Bresch.
>
> One Frist supporter said the senator's opponents are fueling the
> interest in the issue.
>
> "What is happening here is that people are doing profiles of the
> senator, and they are desperate to find something wrong with him and to
> come up with something bad in his past," he pointed out.
>
> Whether Frist will come to the aid of animal legislative causes remains
> to be seen. His spokesman said they had not seen the PETA letter and
> therefore would not comment on it.
>
> PETA, normally more combative and high-profile, took a somewhat
> restrained tone in its letter. There was no mistaking PETA's opinion,
> however, as the organization asked Frist to make an effort on the
> animals' behalf.
>
> "There could be no better way of making some small amends to those
> animals whose trust you betrayed when you took them from shelters," the
> letter said.
>
> (With reporting by Nicholas M. Horrock in Washington)

this shouldn't come as a surprise, just listen to frist for 10 mins
sometime..or the rest of the rep senate..by nov maybe he won't be senate maj
leader anymore.

lori.