PDA

View Full Version : damaged kidneys

Wendy
March 22nd 06, 12:06 AM
I've posted before about Isabelle's problems peeing outside the box from
time to time. Well she has been using the box since January when she was
given antibiotics. She was put on C/D food and the vet suggested we have a
urine test done after she had been on the Rx food for a while. We did that
last week and it still showed blood in the urine. The vet suggested we take
her for an ultrasound which we did today.

The ultrasound shows she has extensive kidney damage. The vet said that it
was probably from her ingesting something toxic years ago. He said it takes
a long time to have the amount of damage she has. I'll have to ask the
rescue group whether she was ill when they brought her inside.

At this point the one kidney is very small (2.33 cm) and the other has an
irregular surface which I'm told is evidence of damage. She's going in for a
blood pressure check tomorrow. The vet is going to let me know what she
should eat, he said he wants to put her on antibiotics periodically (he
didn't say how often) and check her kidney function periodically. He said
that the kidney will continue to deteriorate.

Are there any other tests I should have run on her? I want to do anything I
can to preserve what's left of her kidneys.

Wendy

Phil P.
March 22nd 06, 01:07 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
> I've posted before about Isabelle's problems peeing outside the box from
> time to time. Well she has been using the box since January when she was
> given antibiotics. She was put on C/D food and the vet suggested we have a
> urine test done after she had been on the Rx food for a while. We did that
> last week and it still showed blood in the urine. The vet suggested we
take
> her for an ultrasound which we did today.
>
> The ultrasound shows she has extensive kidney damage. The vet said that it
> was probably from her ingesting something toxic years ago. He said it
takes
> a long time to have the amount of damage she has. I'll have to ask the
> rescue group whether she was ill when they brought her inside.
>
> At this point the one kidney is very small (2.33 cm) and the other has an
> irregular surface which I'm told is evidence of damage. She's going in for
> blood pressure check tomorrow. The vet is going to let me know what she
> should eat, he said he wants to put her on antibiotics periodically (he
> didn't say how often) and check her kidney function periodically. He said
> that the kidney will continue to deteriorate.
>
> Are there any other tests I should have run on her? I want to do anything
> can to preserve what's left of her kidneys.

Potassium and omega-3 FA supplements. Make sure the n-3 supplement has an
n-6 to n-3
ratio of 5:1. Use menhaden fish oil or salmon oil-based supplements- not
flaxseed. The potassium supplement should be high enough to keep serum K in
the upper half of the reference range.

Also, order a urinalysis and culture to make sure she doesn't have a UTI-
dilute urine predisposes cats to UTIs which can lead to pyelonephritis and
further renal damage.

Good luck.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 22nd 06, 05:49 PM
>should eat, he said he wants to put her on antibiotics periodically (he
>didn't say how often) and check her kidney function periodically. He said
>that the kidney will continue to deteriorate.
>Are there any other tests I should have run on her? I want to do anything I
>can to preserve what's left of her kidneys.

Exellent sites:

http://www.felinecrf.com/
http://www.felinecrf.org/

Anna