PDA

View Full Version : Help with cat and unacceptable behavior... (x-post)

xkatx
March 23rd 06, 03:16 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for a fairly annoying situation...

We have a cat, Sally. We've had her since the day she was born, as she's
from a litter of kittens my cat had (accidently) back in September '04, so
she's about a year and a half old now. She's spayed. She was a strictly
indoor cat until she would constantly sneak out, and it got so we could not
keep her in anymore. I'm not a fan of cats outside, but we now keep her in
our back yard with a tie out lead.
About 6 months ago, or so, she started digging and peeing in the house
plants - anything she could either reach from the ground or even the plants
that are up higher, like the ones on the piano. Anything big enough for her
to dig in, she'd make a mess in. Quite often she would dig and we'd wake up
in the morning or come home during the day to cat pee in plant dirt and the
dirt all out of the plant around the pot.
THIS behavior is NOT at all acceptable. Just getting rid of the cat or
getting rid of the plants is not an option at this point, as we'd like to
keep her as part of our family and keep the house plants as well. We want
to do what we can to break her of this habit. She refuses to use a litter
box, just out of nowhere, and she uses the plants, boxes of toys or outside.
Is there ANYTHING we can do? Can she be 'kennel' trained - as the case with
a dog? Should we repot all of the plants with new soil or will that be a
pointless waste of money? Is there anything on the market to stop cats from
peeing in places they shouldn't - something that actually works?
No one's sure where this bad behavior has come from. We've had the plants
around for as long as the cat. If nothing works, then we might have to
start looking for a better home for her, because it's not just the plants,
it is also boxes of toys as well. We can get rid of the plants, but we
really can't get rid of the toys, and to be honest, I'm getting tired of
sweeping up dirt and finding the cat in the plants, and I'm getting more fed
up when I have to constantly toss Lego and other toys in the bath tub to
wash and sterilize them so they're not filled with cat urine. Should we try
a new, different litter box totally? New litter? ANYTHING?
We just can't figure out why she's doing this and we've had very luck trying
to break this habit for a couple months now.
Anything that's worked that we could try would be greatly appreciated!

Phil P.
March 23rd 06, 05:14 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
news:uZyUf.5586$%[email protected]
> I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for a fairly annoying situation...
>
> We have a cat, Sally. We've had her since the day she was born, as she's
> from a litter of kittens my cat had (accidently) back in September '04, so
> she's about a year and a half old now. She's spayed. She was a strictly
> indoor cat until she would constantly sneak out, and it got so we could
not
> keep her in anymore. I'm not a fan of cats outside, but we now keep her
in
> our back yard with a tie out lead.
> About 6 months ago, or so, she started digging and peeing in the house
> plants - anything she could either reach from the ground or even the
plants
> that are up higher, like the ones on the piano. Anything big enough for
her
> to dig in, she'd make a mess in.

Go to a home and garden store, buy a few bags of gardening pebbles- they're
smooth, round and oval. Put a few in each flower pot or planter around the
plant to cover most of the dirt. That should keep her out of the planters.
Don't use aquarium gravel.

While you're at the garden shop, buy a few small bags of potting soil.
Cover the litter in her box with about an inch of the soil until she uses
the litterbox regularly. Once she's using the litterbox normally, gradually
reduce the amount of dirt until she's using only litter. Don't reduce the
amount of dirt by too much or too abruptly- the slower the process the
better the chance of a successful transition.

Phil

March 23rd 06, 05:51 PM
Cover the plant's soil with tin foil. Many cats hate the feel of it on
their paws. Or, tin foil covered in double sided sticky tape. As far
as the tox bins, can you add lids to these? Or keep them in a closet
with the door shut? There is also a product called "cat attract" to
put in the litter to help retrain her. I have heard good things about
it.

HTH!
Beth

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 23rd 06, 05:57 PM
Beth not all cats hate tin foil ask Phil to post one of his pride on tin
foil
Mine try to chew on it
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Cover the plant's soil with tin foil. Many cats hate the feel of it on
> their paws. Or, tin foil covered in double sided sticky tape. As far
> as the tox bins, can you add lids to these? Or keep them in a closet
> with the door shut? There is also a product called "cat attract" to
> put in the litter to help retrain her. I have heard good things about
> it.
>
> HTH!
> Beth

xkatx
March 23rd 06, 06:00 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "xkatx" > wrote in message
> news:uZyUf.5586$%[email protected]
>> I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for a fairly annoying situation...
>>
>> We have a cat, Sally. We've had her since the day she was born, as she's
>> from a litter of kittens my cat had (accidently) back in September '04,
>> so
>> she's about a year and a half old now. She's spayed. She was a strictly
>> indoor cat until she would constantly sneak out, and it got so we could
> not
>> keep her in anymore. I'm not a fan of cats outside, but we now keep her
> in
>> our back yard with a tie out lead.
>> About 6 months ago, or so, she started digging and peeing in the house
>> plants - anything she could either reach from the ground or even the
> plants
>> that are up higher, like the ones on the piano. Anything big enough for
> her
>> to dig in, she'd make a mess in.
>
> Go to a home and garden store, buy a few bags of gardening pebbles-
> they're
> smooth, round and oval. Put a few in each flower pot or planter around
> the
> plant to cover most of the dirt. That should keep her out of the
> planters.
> Don't use aquarium gravel.

I thought aquarium gravel wouldn't be a good choice... We do have lots of
that (as we've switched all the aquarium gravel that I hate to sil9 in all
the tanks) and I've had a suggestion about rocks earlier, so maybe we will
try that.

> While you're at the garden shop, buy a few small bags of potting soil.
> Cover the litter in her box with about an inch of the soil until she uses
> the litterbox regularly. Once she's using the litterbox normally,
> gradually
> reduce the amount of dirt until she's using only litter. Don't reduce the
> amount of dirt by too much or too abruptly- the slower the process the
> better the chance of a successful transition.
>
> Phil

I never thought to use dirt in her box. Maybe that will help to gradually
encourage her to go back to the litter box and away from the plants... Worth
a try, anyways! Thanks!

xkatx
March 23rd 06, 06:21 PM
"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message

> Beth not all cats hate tin foil ask Phil to post one of his pride on tin
> foil
> Mine try to chew on it

I'll try the foil anyways. She hasn't really had any incidents with foil,
so maybe something new might keep her away. She does hate tape on her feet,
though ;) We know that for a (fun) fact.

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Cover the plant's soil with tin foil. Many cats hate the feel of it on
>> their paws. Or, tin foil covered in double sided sticky tape. As far
>> as the tox bins, can you add lids to these? Or keep them in a closet
>> with the door shut? There is also a product called "cat attract" to
>> put in the litter to help retrain her. I have heard good things about
>> it.
>>
>> HTH!
>> Beth

I'll see if the pet store has this stuff, or see if I can locate it
somewhere close to home.

Spot
March 23rd 06, 11:56 PM
Besides the dirt in the litter box being a solution. When was the last time
she was taken in for a check up? Have you discussed the problem with a vet?
And has she been checked for UTI or crystals? Both of which will cause a
cat to change litter habits if they associate the pain of going with a
litter box they will start going other places.

Celeste

"xkatx" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>>
>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>> news:uZyUf.5586$%[email protected]
>>> I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for a fairly annoying
>>> situation...
>>>
>>> We have a cat, Sally. We've had her since the day she was born, as
>>> she's
>>> from a litter of kittens my cat had (accidently) back in September '04,
>>> so
>>> she's about a year and a half old now. She's spayed. She was a
>>> strictly
>>> indoor cat until she would constantly sneak out, and it got so we could
>> not
>>> keep her in anymore. I'm not a fan of cats outside, but we now keep her
>> in
>>> our back yard with a tie out lead.
>>> About 6 months ago, or so, she started digging and peeing in the house
>>> plants - anything she could either reach from the ground or even the
>> plants
>>> that are up higher, like the ones on the piano. Anything big enough for
>> her
>>> to dig in, she'd make a mess in.
>>
>> Go to a home and garden store, buy a few bags of gardening pebbles-
>> they're
>> smooth, round and oval. Put a few in each flower pot or planter around
>> the
>> plant to cover most of the dirt. That should keep her out of the
>> planters.
>> Don't use aquarium gravel.
>
> I thought aquarium gravel wouldn't be a good choice... We do have lots of
> that (as we've switched all the aquarium gravel that I hate to sil9 in all
> the tanks) and I've had a suggestion about rocks earlier, so maybe we will
> try that.
>
>> While you're at the garden shop, buy a few small bags of potting soil.
>> Cover the litter in her box with about an inch of the soil until she uses
>> the litterbox regularly. Once she's using the litterbox normally,
>> gradually
>> reduce the amount of dirt until she's using only litter. Don't reduce
>> the
>> amount of dirt by too much or too abruptly- the slower the process the
>> better the chance of a successful transition.
>>
>> Phil
>
> I never thought to use dirt in her box. Maybe that will help to gradually
> encourage her to go back to the litter box and away from the plants...
> Worth a try, anyways! Thanks!

xkatx
March 24th 06, 12:41 AM
"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Besides the dirt in the litter box being a solution. When was the last
> time she was taken in for a check up? Have you discussed the problem with
> a vet? And has she been checked for UTI or crystals? Both of which will
> cause a cat to change litter habits if they associate the pain of going
> with a litter box they will start going other places.
>
> Celeste

She had seen the vet right after she was spayed at about 6ish months old, so
this was in about March last year - I had a couple concerns about her
healing, which turned out to be all in my head and nothing out of the
ordinary ;) and then right after this last Christmas. We had no real
concerns, but we didn't think it would hurt for her to see the vet just as a
regular checkup. I did call the vet and explained what was going on, and,
of course, still no word from them. I would assume that there's no real
concerns about what I had told them, which is why they didn't call me right
back. They would call right back, I know, if they thought there was
something serious going on, and I know because I did get a call right back
from the vet when we had that litter of kittens and one was not eating at
all.

> "xkatx" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>>> news:uZyUf.5586$%[email protected]

>>> not
>>> in
>>> plants
>>> her
>>>
>>> Go to a home and garden store, buy a few bags of gardening pebbles-
>>> they're
>>> smooth, round and oval. Put a few in each flower pot or planter around
>>> the
>>> plant to cover most of the dirt. That should keep her out of the
>>> planters.
>>> Don't use aquarium gravel.
>>
>> I thought aquarium gravel wouldn't be a good choice... We do have lots of
>> that (as we've switched all the aquarium gravel that I hate to sil9 in
>> all the tanks) and I've had a suggestion about rocks earlier, so maybe we
>> will try that.
>>
>>> While you're at the garden shop, buy a few small bags of potting soil.
>>> Cover the litter in her box with about an inch of the soil until she
>>> uses
>>> the litterbox regularly. Once she's using the litterbox normally,
>>> gradually
>>> reduce the amount of dirt until she's using only litter. Don't reduce
>>> the
>>> amount of dirt by too much or too abruptly- the slower the process the
>>> better the chance of a successful transition.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>
>> I never thought to use dirt in her box. Maybe that will help to
>> gradually encourage her to go back to the litter box and away from the
>> plants... Worth a try, anyways! Thanks!

MaryL
March 24th 06, 02:12 AM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
news:uZyUf.5586$%[email protected]
> I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for a fairly annoying situation...
>
> We have a cat, Sally. We've had her since the day she was born, as she's
> from a litter of kittens my cat had (accidently) back in September '04, so
> she's about a year and a half old now. She's spayed. She was a strictly
> indoor cat until she would constantly sneak out, and it got so we could
> not
> keep her in anymore. I'm not a fan of cats outside, but we now keep her
> in
> our back yard with a tie out lead.
> About 6 months ago, or so, she started digging and peeing in the house
> plants - anything she could either reach from the ground or even the
> plants
> that are up higher, like the ones on the piano. Anything big enough for
> her
> to dig in, she'd make a mess in. Quite often she would dig and we'd wake
> up
> in the morning or come home during the day to cat pee in plant dirt and
> the
> dirt all out of the plant around the pot.
> THIS behavior is NOT at all acceptable. Just getting rid of the cat or
> getting rid of the plants is not an option at this point, as we'd like to
> keep her as part of our family and keep the house plants as well. We want
> to do what we can to break her of this habit. She refuses to use a litter
> box, just out of nowhere, and she uses the plants, boxes of toys or
> outside.
> Is there ANYTHING we can do? Can she be 'kennel' trained - as the case
> with
> a dog? Should we repot all of the plants with new soil or will that be a
> pointless waste of money? Is there anything on the market to stop cats
> from
> peeing in places they shouldn't - something that actually works?
> No one's sure where this bad behavior has come from. We've had the plants
> around for as long as the cat. If nothing works, then we might have to
> start looking for a better home for her, because it's not just the plants,
> it is also boxes of toys as well. We can get rid of the plants, but we
> really can't get rid of the toys, and to be honest, I'm getting tired of
> sweeping up dirt and finding the cat in the plants, and I'm getting more
> fed
> up when I have to constantly toss Lego and other toys in the bath tub to
> wash and sterilize them so they're not filled with cat urine. Should we
> try
> a new, different litter box totally? New litter? ANYTHING?
> We just can't figure out why she's doing this and we've had very luck
> trying
> to break this habit for a couple months now.
> Anything that's worked that we could try would be greatly appreciated!

You already have several good suggestions here, such as using rocks or
pepples (and also *new* potting soil to eliminate any scent that may attract
your cat). The suggestion to have a medical checkup was also sound. I saw
you comment that your vet did not return your call. The cat should be taken
in for a checkup, and specifically request that the urine be tested.
Inappropriate urination is one of the most common signs of UTI. I don't
know why your vet did not return the call, but that simply cannot be
diagnosed over the phone.

Finally, I would like to comment on something else in your message. You
said you "now keep her in our back yard with a tie out lead." If you mean
that you leave her tied outdoors by herself, that is *very dangerous.* A
cat should *never* be left tied up. She would have absolutely no protection
from a dog or other predators while tied up and and could not escape from an
attack. Please do not do this! There are a number of ways to build an
inexpensive screened-in shelter if you want your cat to be outside part of
the time (and I could post some links if you are interested).

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

xkatx
March 24th 06, 05:12 AM
news:[email protected]

> [...]
>> try
>> a new, different litter box totally? New litter? ANYTHING?
>> We just can't figure out why she's doing this and we've had very luck
>> trying
>> to break this habit for a couple months now.
>> Anything that's worked that we could try would be greatly appreciated!
>>

> You already have several good suggestions here, such as using rocks or
> pepples (and also *new* potting soil to eliminate any scent that may
> attract your cat). The suggestion to have a medical checkup was also
> sound. I saw you comment that your vet did not return your call. The cat
> should be taken in for a checkup, and specifically request that the urine
> be tested. Inappropriate urination is one of the most common signs of UTI.
> I don't know why your vet did not return the call, but that simply cannot

I have already tried this cat spray stuff for plants that's supposed to keep
cats from plants... Don't know if it works. Made me gag from the smell and
bits of spray that I somehow managed to get in my mouth, but then again, I
sprayed the heck out of the plants since the instructions didn't say how
much to use, other than use as much as needed, as often as needed...
I will be calling them back come morning. This, to me, doesn't warrant
calling the emergency, after hours vet. I just don't have the money to take
her in to the emergency clinic to be told she's just moody or something, and
this is behavior that has gone on for a while without any other symptoms of
distress. It's just the plants and boxes of toys... Not beds or clothing or
anything else. It also doesn't seem to bother her, but I don't know...
She's a cat. She is not a talking cat lol

> Finally, I would like to comment on something else in your message. You
> said you "now keep her in our back yard with a tie out lead." If you mean
> that you leave her tied outdoors by herself, that is *very dangerous.* A
> cat should *never* be left tied up. She would have absolutely no
> protection from a dog or other predators while tied up and and could not
> escape from an attack. Please do not do this! There are a number of ways
> to build an inexpensive screened-in shelter if you want your cat to be
> outside part of the time (and I could post some links if you are
> interested).

She's outside when the kids are outside, which means I am so lucky to sit
outside - rain or snow, sun and heat - to try and read a book or whatever it
may be, unless, of course, she sneaks out. In that case, she ends up
turning into just a cat, and if she wants to run away, then fine. I'm not
chasing her. There really aren't any predators around, other than other
cats. No dogs can get in the yard. It's fenced in with a high fence.
We're right in the middle of the city, which makes for no other predators,
like a fox, wolf, giant cat-eating snake, coyote or anything. Worst wild
animal we see are rabbits hopping along happily in the field across the
parking lot.
We are also not allowed to put up any type of structure in our back yard.
We actually had to take down a small shed - about 3' high, that we had put
up to store the kids' toys in during winter. We did, however, keep a small
dog run, but that's just small - about 2' high, as our dog is a small one...
He can barely walk up the stairs, so this is small. I'm not about to put a
cat in something like that, since she'll jump out anyways, and if we put
some sort of top on something that is 2' high, well, that's just mean. She
goes out when she's being a brat, otherwise, when we actually allow her out,
someone is outside, but the yard is safe anyways. My fear, actually, wasn't
wild cat-attacking magpies, but I was always scared that the cat could end
up wrapping around the fence, patio furniture, bbq, whatever, or trying to
climb the fence to fall and strangle or something, which is why we use a
harness and do keep an eye on her.

> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
> Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
> Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
> Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
> Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

MaryL
March 24th 06, 05:55 AM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
news:3dLUf.6263$%[email protected]

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>> news:uZyUf.5586$%[email protected]

>>> Anything that's worked that we could try would be greatly appreciated!
>>>

>> You already have several good suggestions here, such as using rocks or
>> pepples (and also *new* potting soil to eliminate any scent that may
>> attract your cat). The suggestion to have a medical checkup was also
>> sound. I saw you comment that your vet did not return your call. The
>> cat should be taken in for a checkup, and specifically request that the
>> urine be tested. Inappropriate urination is one of the most common signs
>> of UTI. I don't know why your vet did not return the call, but that
>> simply cannot be diagnosed over the phone.
>
> I have already tried this cat spray stuff for plants that's supposed to
> keep cats from plants... Don't know if it works. Made me gag from the
> smell and bits of spray that I somehow managed to get in my mouth, but
> then again, I sprayed the heck out of the plants since the instructions
> didn't say how much to use, other than use as much as needed, as often as
> needed...
> I will be calling them back come morning. This, to me, doesn't warrant
> calling the emergency, after hours vet. I just don't have the money to
> take her in to the emergency clinic to be told she's just moody or
> something, and this is behavior that has gone on for a while without any
> other symptoms of distress. It's just the plants and boxes of toys... Not
> beds or clothing or anything else. It also doesn't seem to bother her,
> but I don't know... She's a cat. She is not a talking cat lol

No, I did not intend to suggest that you go to an emergency vet. I agree
that this is not that type of situation. I simply meant that you should get
an appointment (or go in without an appointment if your vet takes walk-ins)
and not count on the vet to return your call. Sometimes the message doesn't
get relayed correctly to the vet, and sometimes the vet and staff feel
overwhelmed. Regardless, I think a checkup is called for (but not a trip to
the ER).

MaryL

Karen
March 24th 06, 07:48 PM
xkatx wrote the following on 3/23/2006 10:16 AM:
> About 6 months ago, or so, she started digging and peeing in the house
> plants - anything she could either reach from the ground or even the plants
> that are up higher, like the ones on the piano. Anything big enough for her
> to dig in, she'd make a mess in. Quite often she would dig and we'd wake up
> in the morning or come home during the day to cat pee in plant dirt and the
> dirt all out of the plant around the pot.

I agree with the others that the first thing to do is get her tested for
a UTI.

As far as the plants go, repot them in clean soil and sprinkle lots of
pepper over the top of the soil. You may need to repeat this every week
or so. I had a pair of former feral kittens and had the same problem. The
pepper took care of it without doing them any harm. I've also seen
plastic spikes for plants and gardens. Not sharp enough to do any damage,
but uncomfortable enough to keep the cat off.

As far as the toys go, could you store them in covered containers? I
realize that is more of a pain than having them open and available, but
less of one than having to clean them off all the time.

Karen R.

Christina Websell
March 26th 06, 04:59 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
news:3dLUf.6263$%[email protected]

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>> news:uZyUf.5586$%[email protected]
I'm not a fan of cats outside, but we now keep her
>>> in
>>> our back yard with a tie out lead.

*Please* don't keep her outside tied up.
>>> Is there ANYTHING we can do? Can she be 'kennel' trained - as the case
>>> No one's sure where this bad behavior has come from. We've had the
>>> plants
>>> around for as long as the cat.

Both my cats prefer to use soil (dirt) to eliminate in as they are
inside/outside cats. Use dirt in the box if that's what she prefers.
I had to give mine a litterbox overnight as the terriers were coming here
after the rats again early. Poor Boyfriend nearly burst before he'd use it,
even though it was soil like he's used to.
He thinks it's rude to pee or poo inside the house ;-)
After being confined since 8 pm-ish last night he finally had to give in at
10 this morning when the dogs were still here.. I felt even more relieved
than he did (if that's possible!)

Tweed

> [...]
> We actually had to take down a small shed - about 3' high, that we had put
> up to store the kids' toys in during winter. We did, however, keep a
> small dog run, but that's just small - about 2' high, as our dog is a
> small one... He can barely walk up the stairs, so this is small. I'm not
> about to put a cat in something like that, since she'll jump out anyways,
> and if we put some sort of top on something that is 2' high, well, that's
> just mean. She goes out when she's being a brat, otherwise, when we
> actually allow her out, someone is outside, but the yard is safe anyways.
> My fear, actually, wasn't wild cat-attacking magpies, but I was always
> scared that the cat could end up wrapping around the fence, patio
> furniture, bbq, whatever, or trying to climb the fence to fall and
> strangle or something, which is why we use a harness and do keep an eye on

March 26th 06, 05:58 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "xkatx" > wrote in message
> news:3dLUf.6263$%[email protected]
>>
>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>>> news:uZyUf.5586$%[email protected]
> I'm not a fan of cats outside, but we now keep her
>

> *Please* don't keep her outside tied up.

Then she doesn't go outside if she is not tied up. Sorry, the cat would go
if it came down to a fine. I will not pay $280 as a fine for each incident
my cat is found outside. The rules for the lease here specifically indicate
cats and dogs are not to be outside unless contained in your own back yard.
I cannot guarantee that the cat will stay outside and ONLY in our back yard,
therefore, by rules of where we live, she must be kept indoors or on a leash
when outside. I am not about to move because of this rule and what the cat
likes or dislikes. This was a rule enforced before we moved here, and it
doesn't change because one person doesn't like it.

> Both my cats prefer to use soil (dirt) to eliminate in as they are
> inside/outside cats. Use dirt in the box if that's what she prefers.
> I had to give mine a litterbox overnight as the terriers were coming here
> after the rats again early. Poor Boyfriend nearly burst before he'd use
> it, even though it was soil like he's used to.
> He thinks it's rude to pee or poo inside the house ;-)
> After being confined since 8 pm-ish last night he finally had to give in
> at 10 this morning when the dogs were still here.. I felt even more
> relieved than he did (if that's possible!)

We have an appointment for her tomorrow in the late morning to see the vet.
I am going to pick up some garden rocks to put in the plants, and I am also
going to try some tape across all the pots she can reach. See if that
helps. I am also going to get new soil for all the plants she's touched,
and so far, that cat plant spray stuff seems to be working, as we haven't
caught her in the plants since spraying them. I am going to try and put
some dirt in her box, but I will try and steer her away from dirt in her box
by eventually cutting the amount of soil and adding litter over time. Dirt
just tracks all over the house, and she's used litter all the time in the
past.

> [...]
>> We actually had to take down a small shed - about 3' high, that we had
>> put up to store the kids' toys in during winter. We did, however, keep a
>> small dog run, but that's just small - about 2' high, as our dog is a
>> small one... He can barely walk up the stairs, so this is small. I'm not
>> about to put a cat in something like that, since she'll jump out anyways,
>> and if we put some sort of top on something that is 2' high, well, that's
>> just mean. She goes out when she's being a brat, otherwise, when we
>> actually allow her out, someone is outside, but the yard is safe anyways.
>> My fear, actually, wasn't wild cat-attacking magpies, but I was always
>> scared that the cat could end up wrapping around the fence, patio
>> furniture, bbq, whatever, or trying to climb the fence to fall and
>> strangle or something, which is why we use a harness and do keep an eye

March 26th 06, 09:31 PM
"D." > wrote in message
link.net...
> In article <XKzVf.12342$%[email protected]>,
> "xkatx" > wrote:
>
>> Then she doesn't go outside if she is not tied up. Sorry, the cat would
>> go
>> if it came down to a fine. I will not pay $280 as a fine for each
>> incident
>> my cat is found outside. The rules for the lease here specifically
>> indicate
>> cats and dogs are not to be outside unless contained in your own back
>> yard.
>> I cannot guarantee that the cat will stay outside and ONLY in our back
>> yard,
>> therefore, by rules of where we live, she must be kept indoors or on a
>> leash
>> when outside. I am not about to move because of this rule and what the
>> cat
>> likes or dislikes. This was a rule enforced before we moved here, and it
>> doesn't change because one person doesn't like it.
>
> Why can't you keep her inside?

We have tried and tried. She was actually strictly indoors, as were all of
our cats. Never once went outside and she was happy like that. Never a
problem at all. Only recently has she been sneaking out and going
outside... I think this started right around when we moved to where we are
now, which was in September. She started to try and get out shortly after
we moved. No idea why. She was fine indoors before we moved, she was fine
indoors after we moved - for a little while, anyways.
We started noticing random strays hanging around our yard and I've chased
many cats away from our back door, some I've even seen hanging off the
screen door. Ever since, she's been a sneaky little thing and the second
any door is opened, even to check the mail, she's trying to bolt out the
door. She sits and meows to no end at the door, day and night. I don't
know where this behavior came from, but when let outside, she's fine. She's
usually just happy to sit in the middle of the yard and lay in the sun or
whatever it may be. If I sit outside with her and she's tied up, she just
lays around like a typical cat. She normally doesn't try and run, and her
lead is never pulled, so it's not like she's usually trying to escape. She
has enough to go further, yet she seems satisfied just hanging around the
yard. The odd time she has snuck out of her harness and she bolts in those
cases, which is rare, but most escapes are when someone opens the door - for
mail, for someone knocking at the door, bringing in groceries, kids,
whatever.
I prefer cats indoors. I personally see no reason why a cat *needs* to go
outside, in the city especially, and quite frankly, an animal is not worth
the fine that comes with it around here, and yes, they do hand out tickets
if your dog or cat is caught, and if you refuse to pay the fine, then they
can consider that breaking rules stated on your lease. You have to have any
and all pets approved first, and one requirement is they must be
spayed/neutered and kept indoors or on leashes, or in your yard only - not
in common areas roaming as they please.
She's just weird. I find most cats are fairly weird and definitely have
very strong personalities. We are planning to move out of here for good and
move out of the city again. This has nothing at all to do with the animals
we have, just a decision DH and I have made. In that case, then whatever.
If we lived out of the city and the cat wanted to roam about in the yard,
whatever. Not a big deal to me as it doesn't come with just under $300 of a
fine each time.

> --
> Web site: http://www.slywy.com/
> Message board: http://www.slywy.com/phpBB2/
> Journal: http://slywy.blogspot.com/

March 26th 06, 09:55 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
news:XKzVf.12342$%[email protected]

> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>>
>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>> news:3dLUf.6263$%[email protected]
>>>
>>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

>> I'm not a fan of cats outside, but we now keep her
>>

>> *Please* don't keep her outside tied up.
>
> Then she doesn't go outside if she is not tied up. Sorry, the cat would
> go if it came down to a fine. I will not pay $280 as a fine for each
> incident my cat is found outside. The rules for the lease here
> specifically indicate cats and dogs are not to be outside unless contained
> in your own back yard. I cannot guarantee that the cat will stay outside
> and ONLY in our back yard, therefore, by rules of where we live, she must
> be kept indoors or on a leash when outside. I am not about to move
> because of this rule and what the cat likes or dislikes. This was a rule
> enforced before we moved here, and it doesn't change because one person
> doesn't like it.

You have at least 2 options for keeping her in the backyard.

But PLEASE TRY SOMETHING besides a lead. You don't know how many pets
accidentally strangle themselves (dogs and cats) on leads. You don't want
your kids to come home and see that kitty has hung herself, do you?

Try a 'cat playpen' . You can build one yourself or purchase one. These a
large fenced in enclosures which also have a TOP. Cat breeders use these
all the time. Not sure if chicken wire is okay - you'll need to check - but
its really just like building a large outdoor kennel for a dog, except it
has a lid so the cat can't climb out. Cats love these things. Be sure and
give her a least 6 ft by 6 ft of space. Put a climbing post and build some
levels out of wood, so she can climb and play. Make her a little shelter
(size of cat carrying kennel) which she can go into if it rains.

Here are some examples you can buy: (I googled for cat +fences) IMO the
best method
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/fence_me_in.html (Humane Society
listing several companies)
http://www.petsnap.com/kittywalk1.htm
http://www.petsnap.com/kittywalk3.htm
http://www.petsnap.com/kittywalk4.htm
kit to build http://www.just4cats.com/ Could order plans and build a
smaller one if you want to

Another alternative, if you association will allow it is cat proof fence
toppers. You put these all along the top of your fence. They slant or curl
inwards so the cat can't climb over. If you have a tree which overhangs
other yards, you would need to encircle the tree at a level before the
branches start.
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/fence_me_in.html (Humane Society
listing several companies)
http://www.feralcat.com/fence.html (instructions to build your own)
http://www.purrfectfence.com/
http://www.catfencein.com/
(If you association rules don't currently allow them, you might ask for an
exception.)

Or you can use an invisible fence - similar to the ones used for dogs

http://petsafe-warehouse.com/cat_prducts/cat_fences.htm (I really don't
like this idea, but its certainly the least visible fence.)
There are also ultrasonic sound containment systems - but I'm not sure how
well they work

So you see, there are lots of ways to let your cat outside. You can keep
him in your yard and still allow the outdoor play.

-- maryjane

PS If you're not willing to try something besides the lead, please find a
good home for your kitty. Your family would do better with a dog - they're
so much easier to keep in the backyard. And they make nice watch animals.

Excuse me if my tone sounds too critical, but I'm really worried about your
kitty's safety. But I do understand association rules about loose
animals!!! Fortunately my homeowners association wasn't to quick to enforce
the rule on cats - and I was able to keep my cat inside 95% of the time.

xkatx
March 26th 06, 10:19 PM
> wrote in message
t...

> "xkatx" > wrote in message
> news:XKzVf.12342$%[email protected]
>>
>> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>>> news:3dLUf.6263$%[email protected]

>>> I'm not a fan of cats outside, but we now keep her
>>>

>>> *Please* don't keep her outside tied up.
>>
>> Then she doesn't go outside if she is not tied up. Sorry, the cat would
>> go if it came down to a fine. I will not pay $280 as a fine for each
>> incident my cat is found outside. The rules for the lease here
>> specifically indicate cats and dogs are not to be outside unless
>> contained in your own back yard. I cannot guarantee that the cat will
>> stay outside and ONLY in our back yard, therefore, by rules of where we
>> live, she must be kept indoors or on a leash when outside. I am not
>> about to move because of this rule and what the cat likes or dislikes.
>> This was a rule enforced before we moved here, and it doesn't change
>> because one person doesn't like it.
>>
> You have at least 2 options for keeping her in the backyard.
>
> But PLEASE TRY SOMETHING besides a lead. You don't know how many pets
> accidentally strangle themselves (dogs and cats) on leads. You don't want
> your kids to come home and see that kitty has hung herself, do you?
>
> Try a 'cat playpen' . You can build one yourself or purchase one. These
> a large fenced in enclosures which also have a TOP. Cat breeders use
> these all the time. Not sure if chicken wire is okay - you'll need to
> check - but its really just like building a large outdoor kennel for a
> dog, except it has a lid so the cat can't climb out. Cats love these
> things. Be sure and give her a least 6 ft by 6 ft of space. Put a
> climbing post and build some levels out of wood, so she can climb and
> play. Make her a little shelter (size of cat carrying kennel) which she
> can go into if it rains.
>
> Here are some examples you can buy: (I googled for cat +fences) IMO the
> best method
> http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/fence_me_in.html (Humane
> Society listing several companies)
> http://www.petsnap.com/kittywalk1.htm
> http://www.petsnap.com/kittywalk3.htm

1 and 3 look good, as it's not tall. 4 is not appropriate for us, as it's
tall. We caught hell here for putting up a small shed, about 4ish feet tall
in our back yard that we used for the kids' toys over the winter. We were
told we had to take it down and that we are not allowed to have 'structures'
of any sort in the yards. Swingsets are alright, toy sheds/garden sheds are
not. I actually like the idea of the first and second links above (the
kittywalk1 and kittywalk3) kittywalk4 is not possible.
We are not even allowed to put up a satellite dish on the fence. Small
flower boxes hanging on your side of the fence are alright, but anything
that you have to hammer, screw or otherwise attach to your fence is not
allowed. We have no trees at all in our back yard, other than small 2'ish
Brandon Cedars that we planted in the back yard in the fall.
I had actually thought of the invisible fencing. There is nothing at all in
the lease about putting an invisible fence up (or I guess down in the
ground) We were actually looking at one a little while back for the dog,
since we have inconsiderate neighbours that leave their fence AND our fence
open (we have shared gates for the back yards - 2 neightbours share one main
gate to the common area, and then the one neighbour's fence opens to their
yard. Kind of hard to explain) but then we've gotten into the habit of
closing the MAIN gate to the common area, and if the neighbours leave their
gate open, we don't close it, and there's a couple times we've called the
dog out of their yard to come in. Quite frankly, these are, and always have
been, very inconsiderate neighbours... They are like a drunken party house
on a fairly regular basis, loud music, drunks having fights in OUR back
yard, and one time, at about 2 in the morning, they were fighting in our
back yard and I was out the next morning to clean up a bunch of broken
bottles that they smashed in the kids' sand box and they had broken the lid
to the sand box and a couple other smaller outdoor toys.
As far as the little caged in area goes, I don't know if the cat would care
too much to have such a small area, but if that is offered to her, and she
understands that if she wants to go out, THIS is how she will be going out,
maybe she'll prefer to go inside. The invisible fence also might be a good
one, as it would kill 2 birds with one stone - the dog AND cat would be fine
in the yard, and the yard only, without having to worry if the gates are
closed.
I'll ask DH if a little cat run like the pictures is something he could
possibly make. I've seen screens and netting that is made for cats in cases
where people might have a balcony, so maybe he can do a frame of some sort
and put some netting over it. Might consider making it the max height we're
allowed, just to offer the cat a little more room.
Would something like this pose problems for the cat if other cats wander in
our yard? Maybe some sort of box for hiding plus a small run would be
alright? I don't know... Just something for her to hide in if she's outside
and another cat comes to the netting, and rather than feeling trapped and
cornered, she can hide in a little boxed in area attached to the run or
something.

> http://www.petsnap.com/kittywalk4.htm
> kit to build http://www.just4cats.com/ Could order plans and build a
> smaller one if you want to
>
> Another alternative, if you association will allow it is cat proof fence
> toppers. You put these all along the top of your fence. They slant or
> curl inwards so the cat can't climb over. If you have a tree which
> overhangs other yards, you would need to encircle the tree at a level
> before the branches start.
> http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/fence_me_in.html (Humane
> Society listing several companies)
> http://www.feralcat.com/fence.html (instructions to build your own)
> http://www.purrfectfence.com/
> http://www.catfencein.com/
> (If you association rules don't currently allow them, you might ask for an
> exception.)
>
> Or you can use an invisible fence - similar to the ones used for dogs
>
> http://petsafe-warehouse.com/cat_prducts/cat_fences.htm (I really don't
> like this idea, but its certainly the least visible fence.)
> There are also ultrasonic sound containment systems - but I'm not sure how
> well they work
>
> So you see, there are lots of ways to let your cat outside. You can keep
> him in your yard and still allow the outdoor play.
>
> -- maryjane
>
> PS If you're not willing to try something besides the lead, please find a
> good home for your kitty. Your family would do better with a dog -
> they're so much easier to keep in the backyard. And they make nice watch
> animals.
>
> Excuse me if my tone sounds too critical, but I'm really worried about
> your kitty's safety. But I do understand association rules about loose
> animals!!! Fortunately my homeowners association wasn't to quick to
> enforce the rule on cats - and I was able to keep my cat inside 95% of the
> time.

MaryL
March 26th 06, 10:38 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
news:bzDVf.12457$%[email protected]

> I'll ask DH if a little cat run like the pictures is something he could
> possibly make. I've seen screens and netting that is made for cats in
> cases where people might have a balcony, so maybe he can do a frame of
> some sort and put some netting over it. Might consider making it the max
> height we're allowed, just to offer the cat a little more room.
> Would something like this pose problems for the cat if other cats wander
> in our yard? Maybe some sort of box for hiding plus a small run would be
> alright? I don't know... Just something for her to hide in if she's
> outside and another cat comes to the netting, and rather than feeling
> trapped and cornered, she can hide in a little boxed in area attached to
> the run or something.

Yes, a screened or mesh enclosure like one of these would be a good idea.
This would not pose *nearly* as much of a problem as your current tieup if
another cat came into the yard. Your cat would be helpless if attacked
because he could not run, and in fact could easily become entangled in the
lead and possibly strangled. If your cat were in one of these enclosures,
he would be in close proximity to the other cat but could not be attacked.
Even that would be solved if you had a cat door at one end where the cat
could gain access to your house.

MaryL

xkatx
March 26th 06, 10:45 PM
news:[email protected]

> "xkatx" > wrote in message
> news:bzDVf.12457$%[email protected]
>>
>> I'll ask DH if a little cat run like the pictures is something he could
>> possibly make. I've seen screens and netting that is made for cats in
>> cases where people might have a balcony, so maybe he can do a frame of
>> some sort and put some netting over it. Might consider making it the max
>> height we're allowed, just to offer the cat a little more room.
>> Would something like this pose problems for the cat if other cats wander
>> in our yard? Maybe some sort of box for hiding plus a small run would be
>> alright? I don't know... Just something for her to hide in if she's
>> outside and another cat comes to the netting, and rather than feeling
>> trapped and cornered, she can hide in a little boxed in area attached to
>> the run or something.
>>

> Yes, a screened or mesh enclosure like one of these would be a good idea.
> This would not pose *nearly* as much of a problem as your current tieup if
> another cat came into the yard. Your cat would be helpless if attacked
> because he could not run, and in fact could easily become entangled in the
> lead and possibly strangled. If your cat were in one of these enclosures,
> he would be in close proximity to the other cat but could not be attacked.
> Even that would be solved if you had a cat door at one end where the cat
> could gain access to your house.
>
> MaryL

But once again, we don't leave the cat unattended ever. The wandering
random cat problem is an issue not when our cat is outside, as someone is
out to chase of a cat as soon as someone sees it. Cats tend to run when
scared away, and there's not enough time for a cat to sneak in to attack our
cat. Easy access to our house is not possible. We cannot put in a small
cat door or anything like that. I was thinking we might be able to remove
the basement screen and possible attach a small run to that basement window,
though. This is a temporary thing that would cause no modification to the
house, other than taking out a screen - which can easily be put back in, or
maybe just a small box or something attached to a run?

March 26th 06, 11:18 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message
news:bzDVf.12457$%[email protected]

> > wrote in message
>> Try a 'cat playpen' . You can build one yourself or purchase one. These
>> a large fenced in enclosures which also have a TOP. Cat breeders use
>> these all the time. Not sure if chicken wire is okay - you'll need to
>> check - but its really just like building a large outdoor kennel for a
>> dog, except it has a lid so the cat can't climb out. Cats love these
>> things. Be sure and give her a least 6 ft by 6 ft of space. Put a
>> climbing post and build some levels out of wood, so she can climb and
>> play. Make her a little shelter (size of cat carrying kennel) which she
>> can go into if it rains.
>>
>> Here are some examples you can buy: (I googled for cat +fences) IMO the
>> best method
>> http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/fence_me_in.html (Humane
>> Society listing several companies)
>> http://www.petsnap.com/kittywalk1.htm
>> http://www.petsnap.com/kittywalk3.htm
>

> 1 and 3 look good, as it's not tall. 4 is not appropriate for us, as it's
> tall. We caught hell here for putting up a small shed, about 4ish feet
> tall in our back yard that we used for the kids' toys over the winter. We
> were told we had to take it down and that we are not allowed to have
> 'structures' of any sort in the yards. Swingsets are alright, toy
> sheds/garden sheds are not. I actually like the idea of the first and
> second links above (the kittywalk1 and kittywalk3) kittywalk4 is not
> possible.
> As far as the little caged in area goes, I don't know if the cat would
> care too much to have such a small area, but if that is offered to her,
> and she understands that if she wants to go out, THIS is how she will be
> going out, maybe she'll prefer to go inside. The invisible fence also
> might be a good one, as it would kill 2 birds with one stone - the dog AND
> cat would be fine in the yard, and the yard only, without having to worry
> if the gates are closed.
;;;;;
> I'll ask DH if a little cat run like the pictures is something he could
> possibly make. I've seen screens and netting that is made for cats in
> cases where people might have a balcony, so maybe he can do a frame of
> some sort and put some netting over it. Might consider making it the max
> height we're allowed, just to offer the cat a little more room.
> Would something like this pose problems for the cat if other cats wander
> in our yard? Maybe some sort of box for hiding plus a small run would be
> alright? I don't know... Just something for her to hide in if she's
> outside and another cat comes to the netting, and rather than feeling
> trapped and cornered, she can hide in a little boxed in area attached to
> the run or something.

Yes a little shelter for her is a good idea. (You could even use a cat
carrier if she'll go into one voluntarily.) Yes - the cat runs can be
hooked up to a window or cat door. I've seen larger cat enclosures - you'll
just have to search the web to find them

And its possible to build a smaller pen yourself than the big one shown -
maybe 4 feet high by 4 by 4. (Maybe the association could live with that.
I'd ask before spending any money or time.) Then she'd have room for a
climbing post and levels.

I don't know how well invisible fences work for cats - they do require you
to train the cat (or dog). Obviously easier for dogs. And they don't stop
animals from coming INTO the yard to harm your cat. Why don't you ask that
question here as a new topic?