PDA

View Full Version : Help with cat meowing every morning?

March 23rd 06, 04:15 PM
I need help. We have two cats, Trinity and Mr. Anderson. One of them
meows every morning, wanting to get into the bathroom (which is next to
our bed). The problem is, Trinity likes to play with water in the
sink, so she is meowing to get in the bathroom to play. She doesn't
stop meowing if we ignore her, she runs away if we spray her but then
comes back. It is driving my husband to the point of insanity because
he can't get any good sleep after 5:30 AM.

We can't just leave the bathroom door open because Mr. Anderson likes
to flush the toilet over and over, and to bang on the shower door.

We can't win!

Our latest plan is not to play in the water with Trinity anymore, and
hopefully break her habit of wanting to get in the bathroom in the
mornings. That makes me sad, though, because she really loves to play
in the water, and she is so cute doing it!

Another idea which we have not tried yet is locking her in another
bathroom in the house when she starts to meow in the morning, so at
least we can sleep.

Any other ideas for me?

Thanks,
Christine

xkatx
March 23rd 06, 04:55 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I need help. We have two cats, Trinity and Mr. Anderson. One of them
> meows every morning, wanting to get into the bathroom (which is next to
> our bed). The problem is, Trinity likes to play with water in the
> sink, so she is meowing to get in the bathroom to play. She doesn't
> stop meowing if we ignore her, she runs away if we spray her but then
> comes back. It is driving my husband to the point of insanity because
> he can't get any good sleep after 5:30 AM.

Haha I have no ideas for you, but I will be keeping an eye on this one!

> We can't just leave the bathroom door open because Mr. Anderson likes
> to flush the toilet over and over, and to bang on the shower door.

My brother's cat has, out of the blue, taken a liking to playing in the
toilet. She swishes and spashes water all around, and it's a pain to clean
up the water, the cat and sitting on a wet toilet at night can't be fun!

> We can't win!
>
> Our latest plan is not to play in the water with Trinity anymore, and
> hopefully break her habit of wanting to get in the bathroom in the
> mornings. That makes me sad, though, because she really loves to play
> in the water, and she is so cute doing it!

My parents had a cat that just LOVED the water. Oddly enough, my dad would
take her to his work, and he'd spray her with the hose and she'd just have a
ball. This cat didn't play in the toilet, though...

> Another idea which we have not tried yet is locking her in another
> bathroom in the house when she starts to meow in the morning, so at
> least we can sleep.

That could work if you don't mind encouraging her to play in the bathroom...
I, personally, can't stand it when the cat follows me when I have to go and
just sits there staring at me, and we try and keep ours out of the bathroom
after she had taken a liking, again, out of nowhere, to unrolling an entire
roll of toilet paper!

> Any other ideas for me?
>
> Thanks,
> Christine

I would say try another bathroom. It might give you some extra sleep early
in the morning!

Phil P.
March 23rd 06, 05:28 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I need help. We have two cats, Trinity and Mr. Anderson. One of them
> meows every morning, wanting to get into the bathroom (which is next to
> our bed). The problem is, Trinity likes to play with water in the
> sink, so she is meowing to get in the bathroom to play. She doesn't
> stop meowing if we ignore her, she runs away if we spray her but then
> comes back. It is driving my husband to the point of insanity because
> he can't get any good sleep after 5:30 AM.
>
> We can't just leave the bathroom door open because Mr. Anderson likes
> to flush the toilet over and over, and to bang on the shower door.
>
> We can't win!
>
> Our latest plan is not to play in the water with Trinity anymore, and
> hopefully break her habit of wanting to get in the bathroom in the
> mornings. That makes me sad, though, because she really loves to play
> in the water, and she is so cute doing it!
>
> Another idea which we have not tried yet is locking her in another
> bathroom in the house when she starts to meow in the morning, so at
> least we can sleep.
>
> Any other ideas for me?

Close the bathroom door at night. Put a small dish under the faucet in your
kitchen sink and let the water run in a slow drip-- a few drops a minute-
not a stream.

Barb
March 24th 06, 04:38 PM
All right. You have another bathroom. Leave that bathroom open with a bowl
of water in the sink and the water dripping like Phil said. Mr. Anderson
can play in that water to his heart's content. That's what I do when I go
away. Unfortunately my Pickles somehow dumped the whole large bowl on the
floor and my pet sitter had to leave a good TV show to see what happened! I
think he probably had taken the bowl out of the sink and left it on the
counter.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Arubalisa
March 24th 06, 07:31 PM
One of our guys was annoying us at 3 a.m. We put up a 5 foot dog gate
at the entrance to our bedroom. 7 years later he still has not learned
how to jump it.
__
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Hoosier Kitties- Resource Links for You
About Your Cat
http://www.arubabound.com Aruba Bound!

March 24th 06, 10:31 PM
In article . com>,
says...
> I need help. We have two cats, Trinity and Mr. Anderson. One of them
> meows every morning, wanting to get into the bathroom (which is next to
> our bed). The problem is, Trinity likes to play with water in the
> sink, so she is meowing to get in the bathroom to play. She doesn't
> stop meowing if we ignore her, she runs away if we spray her but then
> comes back. It is driving my husband to the point of insanity because
> he can't get any good sleep after 5:30 AM.
>
> We can't just leave the bathroom door open because Mr. Anderson likes
> to flush the toilet over and over, and to bang on the shower door.
>
> We can't win!
>
> Our latest plan is not to play in the water with Trinity anymore, and
> hopefully break her habit of wanting to get in the bathroom in the
> mornings. That makes me sad, though, because she really loves to play
> in the water, and she is so cute doing it!
>
> Another idea which we have not tried yet is locking her in another
> bathroom in the house when she starts to meow in the morning, so at
> least we can sleep.
>
> Any other ideas for me?

Learn to ignore it. Seriously.

My eldest cat has always loved to be in the bathroom with me when I
shower. When I'm done I let the cold water just trickele from the faucet
and he laps it up.

But he gets VERY demanding about it these days. Sometimes if I'm in a
hurry I'll shut the door before he has a chance to get in. He complains
loudly about that.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 24th 06, 11:59 PM
>My eldest cat has always loved to be in the bathroom with me when I
>shower. When I'm done I let the cold water just trickele from the faucet
>and he laps it up.
>But he gets VERY demanding about it these days. Sometimes if I'm in a
>hurry I'll shut the door before he has a chance to get in. He complains
>loudly about that.

Have you tried a Drink Well fountain, he'd probably really like one of those.

Anna