PDA

View Full Version : licking bricks

Prissykitty73
March 24th 06, 03:42 AM
I have an 11 month old male cat named Jack. Lately he has been licking the
bricks around the fireplace, carpet and he has been eating the wood chips we
use to help start the fireplace. Is this a indication that his diet is
lacking something? Is it going to hurt him if I let him do this??

MaryL
March 24th 06, 05:04 AM
"Prissykitty73" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have an 11 month old male cat named Jack. Lately he has been licking the
> bricks around the fireplace, carpet and he has been eating the wood chips
> we
> use to help start the fireplace. Is this a indication that his diet is
> lacking something? Is it going to hurt him if I let him do this??

You need to get your cat to a vet *tomorrow.* The behavior you are seeing is
a classic sign of anemia. In a cat that young, the causes are usually feline
leukemia or hemobartonella, and he should be tested for both. Do not delay!

MaryL

Charlie Wilkes
March 24th 06, 07:07 AM
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 03:42:20 GMT, "Prissykitty73" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have an 11 month old male cat named Jack. Lately he has been licking the
>bricks around the fireplace, carpet and he has been eating the wood chips we
>use to help start the fireplace. Is this a indication that his diet is
>lacking something? Is it going to hurt him if I let him do this??

What kind of wood is it? Does he eat it or just chew on it?

Charlie

J. dvm
March 24th 06, 11:55 AM
"Prissykitty73" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have an 11 month old male cat named Jack. Lately he has been licking the
> bricks around the fireplace, carpet and he has been eating the wood chips
> we
> use to help start the fireplace.

Mary L is correct, this might be a sign of life threatening anemia. See
your vet today.

J. dvm