PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Cat won't eat

whooperdooper
March 24th 06, 03:48 PM
My eldest cat, has had real problems with her mouth and teeth for quite a
while now. She is currently taking Interferon but will not eat.

I have tried everything even getting wet food to the consistency of baby food
and hand feeding her, but she will not eat unless forced, which I hate to do.
She has lost a lot of weight and I am now struggling for ideas.

I think it boils down to the fact that so many times when she has eaten it
has hurt her to the point that she screams and starts choking that she has
just got it in to her head that it will happen everytime she tries.

Thank you in advance.

Paula

Gail
March 24th 06, 04:56 PM
Have you tried warmed, meated baby food (without onion)?
Gail
"whooperdooper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My eldest cat, has had real problems with her mouth and teeth for quite a
> while now. She is currently taking Interferon but will not eat.
>
> I have tried everything even getting wet food to the consistency of baby
> food
> and hand feeding her, but she will not eat unless forced, which I hate to
> do.
> She has lost a lot of weight and I am now struggling for ideas.
>
> I think it boils down to the fact that so many times when she has eaten it
> has hurt her to the point that she screams and starts choking that she has
> just got it in to her head that it will happen everytime she tries.

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Paula

Rhonda
March 24th 06, 05:33 PM
Try all different kinds of food, if you haven't already. When we had a
cat not eating we would try the stinkiest wet food we could find. Petco
had Pro Plan (I think) that had sardines in it. He would sometimes go
for that. You could try tuna cat food, too.

Cats develop food aversions. If they get sick while eating one kind --
they blame that food. We had to do lots of changes with one cat.

If she is refusing everything, are you sure her teeth and mouth are
better? Maybe the vet should check again.

Good luck,

Rhonda

whooperdooper wrote:

> My eldest cat, has had real problems with her mouth and teeth for quite a
> while now. She is currently taking Interferon but will not eat.
>
> I have tried everything even getting wet food to the consistency of baby food
> and hand feeding her, but she will not eat unless forced, which I hate to do.
> She has lost a lot of weight and I am now struggling for ideas.
>
> I think it boils down to the fact that so many times when she has eaten it
> has hurt her to the point that she screams and starts choking that she has
> just got it in to her head that it will happen everytime she tries.

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Paula

NanCe via CatKB.com
March 24th 06, 07:11 PM
>My eldest cat, has had real problems with her mouth and teeth for quite a
>while now. She is currently taking Interferon but will not eat.
>I have tried everything even getting wet food to the consistency of baby food
>and hand feeding her, but she will not eat unless forced, which I hate to do.
>She has lost a lot of weight and I am now struggling for ideas.
>I think it boils down to the fact that so many times when she has eaten it
>has hurt her to the point that she screams and starts choking that she has
>just got it in to her head that it will happen everytime she tries.

Here is a link with info about assist feeding. It looks like you may end up
having to syringe feed her. It is crucial to get her to eat due to the fact
that she can develop hepatic lipidosis if she doesn't. You may want to call
your vet and ask him about Hill's a/d. A lot of people use this when syringe
feeding as it is very high in fat which is good for a cat that's losing
weight. But it is also high in protein so it should be probably be used for
a short time in an elderly cat (in case she has undiagnosed kidney disease -
high protein would not be good for that). If your cat has pain, she should
be taken to vet asap for a check of her mouth.

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nutrition.htm#syringe_feeding

NanCe