PDA

View Full Version : compounding pharmacy for cat medication?

Elizabeth Blake
March 24th 06, 06:30 PM
Harriet, one of the cats at work, is on Propulsid 2x a day. The vet's
office charges $1 per capsule. I was looking for an online veterinary
compounding pharmacy where I might be able to get it cheaper. I did a quick
search but everything I looked at catered to vets, not individual patients.

--
Liz

NanCe via CatKB.com
March 24th 06, 07:16 PM
>Harriet, one of the cats at work, is on Propulsid 2x a day. The vet's
>office charges $1 per capsule. I was looking for an online veterinary
>compounding pharmacy where I might be able to get it cheaper. I did a quick
>search but everything I looked at catered to vets, not individual patients.

Can you get a presc. from your vet and take it to one of your local drug
stores? The drug store may charge less than your vet would.

NanCe

Rhonda
March 24th 06, 07:35 PM
Our vet suggested a pharmacy in our area that compounded. Your vet might
know of one.

I know this site does compounding -- but I've never used one on-line and
haven't checked their prices: www.vetcentric.com.

Rhonda

Elizabeth Blake wrote:

> Harriet, one of the cats at work, is on Propulsid 2x a day. The vet's
> office charges $1 per capsule. I was looking for an online veterinary
> compounding pharmacy where I might be able to get it cheaper. I did a quick
> search but everything I looked at catered to vets, not individual patients.
>
> --
> Liz

Anna via CatKB.com
March 24th 06, 07:58 PM
>Harriet, one of the cats at work, is on Propulsid 2x a day. The vet's
>office charges $1 per capsule. I was looking for an online veterinary
>compounding pharmacy where I might be able to get it cheaper. I did a quick
>search but everything I looked at catered to vets, not individual patients.

Perhaps if you mention to the vet that you've found it cheaper elsewhere
he'll lower his price. Worth a shot.

Arubalisa
March 24th 06, 08:27 PM
I have a list of Compounding Pharmacies at
http://www.hoosierkitties.com/shopping/compound.htm

I know that on that list Francks carries it
http://www.francks.com/docs/ProductList.pdf
__
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Hoosier Kitties- Resource Links for You
About Your Cat
http://www.arubabound.com Aruba Bound!

TimRP
March 24th 06, 09:54 PM
I am a compounding pharmacist and read your post about Propulsid for
your cat. I own a compounding pharmacy and we have made this
medication for some local cat owners and vets. If you can tell me what
strength your cat takes, I'd be happy to quote you a price. You can
visit our website at www.redlinepharmacy.com to learn more about us.
We would need a prescription from your vet either phoned, faxed or
mailed before we could fill the prescription. We primarily focus on
human health but about 10% of our practice involves animals. Let me
know if we can help.
Thank you.
Tim Redline, PharmD

blkcatgal
March 25th 06, 05:54 AM
I've used the Veterinary Pharmacy of America....VETRXRX.com or
1-877-VETRXRX. They are located in Houston and ship overnight. You'll need
a prescription from your vet.

Sue
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
et...
> Harriet, one of the cats at work, is on Propulsid 2x a day. The vet's
> office charges $1 per capsule. I was looking for an online veterinary
> compounding pharmacy where I might be able to get it cheaper. I did a
> quick
> search but everything I looked at catered to vets, not individual
> patients.
>
> --
> Liz

Elizabeth Blake
March 25th 06, 07:43 AM
"NanCe via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >Harriet, one of the cats at work, is on Propulsid 2x a day. The vet's
>>office charges $1 per capsule. I was looking for an online veterinary
>>compounding pharmacy where I might be able to get it cheaper. I did a
>>quick
>>search but everything I looked at catered to vets, not individual
>>patients.
>
> Can you get a presc. from your vet and take it to one of your local drug
> stores? The drug store may charge less than your vet would.

NanCe,

This drug is no longer available for humans, so a regular pharmacy won't
have it.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
March 25th 06, 07:43 AM
"Arubalisa" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a list of Compounding Pharmacies at
> http://www.hoosierkitties.com/shopping/compound.htm
>
> I know that on that list Francks carries it
> http://www.francks.com/docs/ProductList.pdf

Thanks for the links. I'll see if I can get any info through e-mail from
any of them.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
March 25th 06, 07:45 AM
"TimRP" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am a compounding pharmacist and read your post about Propulsid for
> your cat. I own a compounding pharmacy and we have made this
> medication for some local cat owners and vets. If you can tell me what
> strength your cat takes, I'd be happy to quote you a price. You can
> visit our website at www.redlinepharmacy.com to learn more about us.
> We would need a prescription from your vet either phoned, faxed or
> mailed before we could fill the prescription. We primarily focus on
> human health but about 10% of our practice involves animals. Let me
> know if we can help.
> Thank you.
> Tim Redline, PharmD

Tim,

They usually don't write much info on the label when I get it at the vet's,
but I'm pretty sure that one time they did write 5mg on it. I'd have to
double check with the vet, but I'm pretty certain that was the dose. I just
picked up a refill today and all they usually write is Propulsid.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
March 25th 06, 07:50 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:Nw%Uf.8323$6%[email protected]

> You'll need a script from your vet.
>
> Island Pharmacy is a good choice. They ship anywhere in the country- even
> overnight if you need it in a hurry.
>
> http://www.islandpharmacy.com/ (800) 328-7060
>

> Have you tried a local compounding pharmacy?
>
> Town Total Health (800) 279-5708
> 6 E. 32nd Street, New York, NY 10016
> www.towntotal.com

Thanks for the links, Phil. I looked at the local site, and it doesn't seem
like it's geared toward individual customers. It's not far from work so I
can easily walk by and check it out one day.

--
Liz