PDA

View Full Version : my cat has developed a sudden preference for clothing over the litter box

March 25th 06, 01:58 AM
My husband and I and our healthy 10 year old cat Maudling moved to a
new apartment 2 months ago. She seemed to adjust to the new
surroundings quickly and appears to be quite happy. She has a lot more
room to run around in, has plenty of toys and gets loads of attention.
For the first month she was acting normal (for her, she's always been
exceedingly mischievous.) But starting a few weeks ago, she developed
a new and very unpleasant habit: she will pull towels, t-shirts, etc.
onto the floor, in whatever room she finds them, and pee on them. This
appears to be opportunistic behavior, i.e., when there is nothing soft
and loose to pull onto the floor, she doesn't urinate in inappropriate
places. (For example, she doesn't go on the furniture.) We have been
forced to secure our towels onto the towel bars with safety pins, and
be hypervigilant about leaving articles of clothing around (a real
challenge for my husband!)

In our old apartment, she was always pulling things onto the floor, but
she would just curl up on them, never pee on them. The only exception
was the bath mat, which we've learned to hang up after using.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's causing this behavior and
how to stop it? I'm especially concerned as we're expecting
houseguests in a couple of weeks.

Gail
March 25th 06, 03:30 AM
She sounds like she has a urinary tract infection. She needs to see a vet.
Many times the stress of moving will precitate such an infection.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My husband and I and our healthy 10 year old cat Maudling moved to a
> new apartment 2 months ago. She seemed to adjust to the new
> surroundings quickly and appears to be quite happy. She has a lot more
> room to run around in, has plenty of toys and gets loads of attention.
> For the first month she was acting normal (for her, she's always been
> exceedingly mischievous.) But starting a few weeks ago, she developed
> a new and very unpleasant habit: she will pull towels, t-shirts, etc.
> onto the floor, in whatever room she finds them, and pee on them. This
> appears to be opportunistic behavior, i.e., when there is nothing soft
> and loose to pull onto the floor, she doesn't urinate in inappropriate
> places. (For example, she doesn't go on the furniture.) We have been
> forced to secure our towels onto the towel bars with safety pins, and
> be hypervigilant about leaving articles of clothing around (a real
> challenge for my husband!)
>
> In our old apartment, she was always pulling things onto the floor, but
> she would just curl up on them, never pee on them. The only exception
> was the bath mat, which we've learned to hang up after using.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's causing this behavior and
> how to stop it? I'm especially concerned as we're expecting
> houseguests in a couple of weeks.

Ryan Robbins
March 25th 06, 05:10 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My husband and I and our healthy 10 year old cat Maudling moved to a
> new apartment 2 months ago. She seemed to adjust to the new
> surroundings quickly and appears to be quite happy. She has a lot more
> room to run around in, has plenty of toys and gets loads of attention.
> For the first month she was acting normal (for her, she's always been
> exceedingly mischievous.) But starting a few weeks ago, she developed
> a new and very unpleasant habit: she will pull towels, t-shirts, etc.
> onto the floor, in whatever room she finds them, and pee on them. This
> appears to be opportunistic behavior, i.e., when there is nothing soft
> and loose to pull onto the floor, she doesn't urinate in inappropriate
> places. (For example, she doesn't go on the furniture.) We have been
> forced to secure our towels onto the towel bars with safety pins, and
> be hypervigilant about leaving articles of clothing around (a real
> challenge for my husband!)

It's odd to say that your cat isn't peeing in appropriate places, when it's
clear she is!

She may not like the litter in her pan; she might want something softer,
hence peeing on cloth. Or she could have a urinary tract infection. My cat
peed three times within a 24-hour span last week on my bed. She has been on
antibiotics since then and hasn't done it since. How much and how often has
your cat been peeing? If she hasn't been peeing as often as she normally
does, it would indicate an infection. Also, your cat is 10. My vet says that
elderly cats sometimes don't want to use the pan much because they might
have problems getting in or they might want more room and figure close is
good enough. So you might consider getting a second, larger, pan.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 25th 06, 08:35 PM
>My husband and I and our healthy 10 year old cat Maudling moved to a
>new apartment 2 months ago. She seemed to adjust to the new
>surroundings quickly and appears to be quite happy. She has a lot more
>room to run around in, has plenty of toys and gets loads of attention.
>For the first month she was acting normal (for her, she's always been
>exceedingly mischievous.) But starting a few weeks ago, she developed
>a new and very unpleasant habit: she will pull towels, t-shirts, etc.
>onto the floor, in whatever room she finds them, and pee on them. This
>appears to be opportunistic behavior, i.e., when there is nothing soft
>and loose to pull onto the floor, she doesn't urinate in inappropriate
>places. (For example, she doesn't go on the furniture.) We have been
>forced to secure our towels onto the towel bars with safety pins, and
>be hypervigilant about leaving articles of clothing around (a real
>challenge for my husband!)
>
>In our old apartment, she was always pulling things onto the floor, but
>she would just curl up on them, never pee on them. The only exception
>was the bath mat, which we've learned to hang up after using.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's causing this behavior and
>how to stop it? I'm especially concerned as we're expecting
>houseguests in a couple of weeks.

Any time a cat quits using it's box and pees elsewhere, it's time to call the
vet. She may have a urinary tract infection which is very painful (as any
human who's had one knows). All that's required to check is for you to bring
her in and vet will take a urine sample. Please call him/her asap.

March 26th 06, 03:46 AM
wrote:
> My husband and I and our healthy 10 year old cat Maudling moved to a
> new apartment 2 months ago. She seemed to adjust to the new
> surroundings quickly and appears to be quite happy. She has a lot more
> room to run around in, has plenty of toys and gets loads of attention.
> For the first month she was acting normal (for her, she's always been
> exceedingly mischievous.) But starting a few weeks ago, she developed
> a new and very unpleasant habit: she will pull towels, t-shirts, etc.
> onto the floor, in whatever room she finds them, and pee on them. This
> appears to be opportunistic behavior, i.e., when there is nothing soft
> and loose to pull onto the floor, she doesn't urinate in inappropriate
> places. (For example, she doesn't go on the furniture.) We have been
> forced to secure our towels onto the towel bars with safety pins, and
> be hypervigilant about leaving articles of clothing around (a real
> challenge for my husband!)
>
> In our old apartment, she was always pulling things onto the floor, but
> she would just curl up on them, never pee on them. The only exception
> was the bath mat, which we've learned to hang up after using.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's causing this behavior and
> how to stop it? I'm especially concerned as we're expecting
> houseguests in a couple of weeks.

Well, it could be behavioral, but it could also be medical - IOW, she
may have A UTI. Peeing on soft surfaces - such as laundry, clothing,
blankets, etc. is a symptom. So, before trying to figure out how to
get her to stop the behavior, she needs a vet appt. If it's a urinarty
tract infection, a course (or two) of antibiotics will zap the
infection - & therefore the accompanying behavior.

Cathy

March 28th 06, 03:21 AM
> > My husband and I and our healthy 10 year old cat Maudling moved to a
> > new apartment 2 months ago. She seemed to adjust to the new
> > surroundings quickly and appears to be quite happy. She has a lot more
> > room to run around in, has plenty of toys and gets loads of attention.
> > For the first month she was acting normal (for her, she's always been
> > exceedingly mischievous.) But starting a few weeks ago, she developed
> > a new and very unpleasant habit: she will pull towels, t-shirts, etc.
> > onto the floor, in whatever room she finds them, and pee on them. This
> > appears to be opportunistic behavior, i.e., when there is nothing soft
> > and loose to pull onto the floor, she doesn't urinate in inappropriate
> > places. (For example, she doesn't go on the furniture.) We have been
> > forced to secure our towels onto the towel bars with safety pins, and
> > be hypervigilant about leaving articles of clothing around (a real
> > challenge for my husband!)
> >
> > In our old apartment, she was always pulling things onto the floor, but
> > she would just curl up on them, never pee on them. The only exception
> > was the bath mat, which we've learned to hang up after using.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's causing this behavior and
> > how to stop it? I'm especially concerned as we're expecting
> > houseguests in a couple of weeks.
>
> Well, it could be behavioral, but it could also be medical - IOW, she
> may have A UTI. Peeing on soft surfaces - such as laundry, clothing,
> blankets, etc. is a symptom. So, before trying to figure out how to
> get her to stop the behavior, she needs a vet appt. If it's a urinarty
> tract infection, a course (or two) of antibiotics will zap the
> infection - & therefore the accompanying behavior.
>
> Cathy

March 28th 06, 03:23 AM
Thanks Cathy, and everyone else, for your suggestions.