PDA

View Full Version : Shots or No Shots

Buddy
March 25th 06, 12:59 PM
I will be taking my 4 year old for his annual checkup next month and am
wondering what the concensus is on what shots an indoor, only kitty
really needs? Also, opinions on the injectable vacines and the nasal
vacines. He received a nasal vacine last year and acquired a sinus
infection afterwards - of course the vet is blaming the sinus problem
on his immune system being compromised from being in the shelter for
one week.

PawsForThought
March 25th 06, 04:54 PM
Regarding annual vaccination, from two top immunologists, Ron Schultz,
DVM and Tom Phillips, DVM, here is a quote confirming that it just
isn't so. The quote is from Kirk' Current Veterinary Therapy 1992:

"A practice that was started many years ago and that lacks scientific
validity or verification is annual revaccination. Almost without
exception there is no immunologic requirement for annual revaccination.
Immunity to viruses persists for years or for the life of the
animal...... Furthermore, revaccination with most viral vaccines fails
to stimulate an anamnestic (secondary) response.... The practice of
annual vaccination in our opinion should be considered of questionable
efficacy..."

PawsForThought
March 25th 06, 04:57 PM
and this: http://www.truthaboutvaccines.org/articles.html

Rhonda
March 25th 06, 06:14 PM
We've never tried the nasal vaccines. Our indoor cats get their vaccines
(just distemper and the "kitty cold" virus pack only) roughly about
every 3 years, sometimes longer. I think 3 years is recommended by the
vet but an article I read said some vaccines might even last 8 years.

Rhonda

Buddy wrote:

> I will be taking my 4 year old for his annual checkup next month and am
> wondering what the concensus is on what shots an indoor, only kitty
> really needs? Also, opinions on the injectable vacines and the nasal
> vacines. He received a nasal vacine last year and acquired a sinus
> infection afterwards - of course the vet is blaming the sinus problem
> on his immune system being compromised from being in the shelter for
> one week.

Anna via CatKB.com
March 25th 06, 07:28 PM
>I will be taking my 4 year old for his annual checkup next month and am
>wondering what the concensus is on what shots an indoor, only kitty
>really needs? Also, opinions on the injectable vacines and the nasal
>vacines. He received a nasal vacine last year and acquired a sinus
>infection afterwards - of course the vet is blaming the sinus problem
>on his immune system being compromised from being in the shelter for
>one week.

I get the one for panleukopenia (distemper) and calici/rhino (upper respitory
diseases) every 3 years but no rabies or leukemia as mine are indoor. I've
never had the nasal one done but was thinking about getting that one.