PDA

View Full Version : Fat cat = animal abuse

MaryL
March 25th 06, 03:20 PM
Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr

The article describes a cat that is between 46 and 50 pounds and "boasts a
thickset 33-inch waistline." He eats 30 pounds of food each week! The
owner claims that he is healthy, despite remarks that "he's a waddler" and
"not much for running." They brush him and have to use baby wipes to clean
him because he is so fat that he cannot clean himself. Unfortunately, he is
declawed -- and they seem to blame that (and having him "fixed") for his
overeating.

The reason I am writing is that he is a contender for the world's fattest
feline. He is going to be featured on "Ripley's Beliee It or Not," and a
video has been sent to "America's Funniest Home Videos" with the hope that
he will win the big prize. I consider this to be animal abuse. It is not
"funny" or "contest-worthy."

I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not be
glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy. If any of you would
like to join me, a message can be sent to this address:

MaryL

March 25th 06, 04:48 PM
In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
THE-LITTER says...
> Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
>
> The article describes a cat that is between 46 and 50 pounds and "boasts a
> thickset 33-inch waistline." He eats 30 pounds of food each week! The
> owner claims that he is healthy, despite remarks that "he's a waddler" and
> "not much for running." They brush him and have to use baby wipes to clean
> him because he is so fat that he cannot clean himself. Unfortunately, he is
> declawed -- and they seem to blame that (and having him "fixed") for his
> overeating.
>
> The reason I am writing is that he is a contender for the world's fattest
> feline. He is going to be featured on "Ripley's Beliee It or Not," and a
> video has been sent to "America's Funniest Home Videos" with the hope that
> he will win the big prize. I consider this to be animal abuse. It is not
> "funny" or "contest-worthy."
>
> I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not be
> glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy. If any of you would
> like to join me, a message can be sent to this address:
>

> MaryL

When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a little
over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
anything you can do about it.

PawsForThought
March 25th 06, 04:58 PM
Thanks for posting this, Mary. So sad :(

cybercat
March 25th 06, 05:20 PM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
> THE-LITTER says...
> > Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
> >
> > The article describes a cat that is between 46 and 50 pounds and "boasts
> > thickset 33-inch waistline." He eats 30 pounds of food each week! The
> > owner claims that he is healthy, despite remarks that "he's a waddler"
and
> > "not much for running." They brush him and have to use baby wipes to
clean
> > him because he is so fat that he cannot clean himself. Unfortunately,
he is
> > declawed -- and they seem to blame that (and having him "fixed") for his
> > overeating.
> >
> > The reason I am writing is that he is a contender for the world's
fattest
> > feline. He is going to be featured on "Ripley's Beliee It or Not," and
> > video has been sent to "America's Funniest Home Videos" with the hope
that
> > he will win the big prize. I consider this to be animal abuse. It is
not
> > "funny" or "contest-worthy."
> >
> > I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not
be
> > glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy. If any of you
would
> > like to join me, a message can be sent to this address:
> >

> > MaryL
> >

> When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a little
> over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
> anything you can do about it.

It is not "all" genetic. In questions of "nature or nurture" it is almost
always "some of both." You overfed the cat. How old was he when
he died? And what did he die of?

Charlie Wilkes
March 25th 06, 05:45 PM
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:20:17 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
>
>The article describes a cat that is between 46 and 50 pounds and "boasts a
>thickset 33-inch waistline." He eats 30 pounds of food each week! The
>owner claims that he is healthy, despite remarks that "he's a waddler" and
>"not much for running." They brush him and have to use baby wipes to clean
>him because he is so fat that he cannot clean himself. Unfortunately, he is
>declawed -- and they seem to blame that (and having him "fixed") for his
>overeating.
>
>The reason I am writing is that he is a contender for the world's fattest
>feline. He is going to be featured on "Ripley's Beliee It or Not," and a
>video has been sent to "America's Funniest Home Videos" with the hope that
>he will win the big prize. I consider this to be animal abuse. It is not
>"funny" or "contest-worthy."
>
>I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not be
>glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy. If any of you would
>like to join me, a message can be sent to this address:

>MaryL

As an American, I cannot look upon feline obesity as anything more
than a reflection of the national trend. The U.S. is a nation of fat
people getting fatter.

What really grosses me out are these people who are too ****in fat to
walk around in a store, so they drive these little motorized carts,
sometimes with an oxygen tube... all so they can stay alive for
another meal.

I'll bet there's no shortage of wide loads on Usenet, munching Doritos
while typing out their latest sermon.

Charlie

Charlie

MaryL
March 25th 06, 05:46 PM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
> THE-LITTER says...
>> Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
>>
>> The article describes a cat that is between 46 and 50 pounds and "boasts
>> thickset 33-inch waistline." He eats 30 pounds of food each week! The
>> owner claims that he is healthy, despite remarks that "he's a waddler"
>> and
>> "not much for running." They brush him and have to use baby wipes to
>> clean
>> him because he is so fat that he cannot clean himself. Unfortunately, he
>> is
>> declawed -- and they seem to blame that (and having him "fixed") for his
>> overeating.
>>
>> The reason I am writing is that he is a contender for the world's fattest
>> feline. He is going to be featured on "Ripley's Beliee It or Not," and a
>> video has been sent to "America's Funniest Home Videos" with the hope
>> that
>> he will win the big prize. I consider this to be animal abuse. It is
>> not
>> "funny" or "contest-worthy."
>>
>> I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not be
>> glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy. If any of you would
>> like to join me, a message can be sent to this address:
>>

>> MaryL
>>

> When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a little
> over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
> anything you can do about it.

That doesn't make any more sense than saying that it's "all genetic" when
people are fat an there isn't anything we can do about it. That statement
is almost always incorrect. It's true that some breeds of cats will weigh
more than others (such as a Maine Coon), but the cat in that article is
morbidly obese. The fault with that lies with an owner who has not taken
proper care of the cat.

MaryL

March 25th 06, 06:40 PM
In article >, says...

> "T" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
> > THE-LITTER says...
> > > Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
> > >
> > > The article describes a cat that is between 46 and 50 pounds and "boasts
> > > thickset 33-inch waistline." He eats 30 pounds of food each week! The
> > > owner claims that he is healthy, despite remarks that "he's a waddler"
> and
> > > "not much for running." They brush him and have to use baby wipes to
> clean
> > > him because he is so fat that he cannot clean himself. Unfortunately,
> he is
> > > declawed -- and they seem to blame that (and having him "fixed") for his
> > > overeating.
> > >
> > > The reason I am writing is that he is a contender for the world's
> fattest
> > > feline. He is going to be featured on "Ripley's Beliee It or Not," and
> > > video has been sent to "America's Funniest Home Videos" with the hope
> that
> > > he will win the big prize. I consider this to be animal abuse. It is
> not
> > > "funny" or "contest-worthy."
> > >
> > > I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not
> be
> > > glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy. If any of you
> would
> > > like to join me, a message can be sent to this address:
> > >

> > > MaryL
> > >

> > When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a little
> > over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
> > anything you can do about it.
> >

> It is not "all" genetic. In questions of "nature or nurture" it is almost
> always "some of both." You overfed the cat. How old was he when
> he died? And what did he die of?

He was 8 years old. Fed Iams Adult Maturity. All cats in the house free
fed so he was no different.

He was euthanized due to kidney failure, hepatic lipidosis, diabetes,
arthritic, etc.

It was thought best by myself and the vet to euthanize him.

March 25th 06, 06:42 PM
In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
THE-LITTER says...

> "T" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
> > THE-LITTER says...
> >> Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
> >>
> >> The article describes a cat that is between 46 and 50 pounds and "boasts
> >> thickset 33-inch waistline." He eats 30 pounds of food each week! The
> >> owner claims that he is healthy, despite remarks that "he's a waddler"
> >> and
> >> "not much for running." They brush him and have to use baby wipes to
> >> clean
> >> him because he is so fat that he cannot clean himself. Unfortunately, he
> >> is
> >> declawed -- and they seem to blame that (and having him "fixed") for his
> >> overeating.
> >>
> >> The reason I am writing is that he is a contender for the world's fattest
> >> feline. He is going to be featured on "Ripley's Beliee It or Not," and a
> >> video has been sent to "America's Funniest Home Videos" with the hope
> >> that
> >> he will win the big prize. I consider this to be animal abuse. It is
> >> not
> >> "funny" or "contest-worthy."
> >>
> >> I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not be
> >> glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy. If any of you would
> >> like to join me, a message can be sent to this address:
> >>

> >> MaryL
> >>

> > When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a little
> > over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
> > anything you can do about it.
> >

> That doesn't make any more sense than saying that it's "all genetic" when
> people are fat an there isn't anything we can do about it. That statement
> is almost always incorrect. It's true that some breeds of cats will weigh
> more than others (such as a Maine Coon), but the cat in that article is
> morbidly obese. The fault with that lies with an owner who has not taken
> proper care of the cat.
>
> MaryL

I'm tired of these 'improper care' nazi's in the group like yourself. He
was fed and cared for with regular vet visits, etc. And yes, he was part
Main Coon.

cybercat
March 25th 06, 07:25 PM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
> THE-LITTER says...
> >
> > "T" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > > In article <[email protected]>,
-OUT-
> > > THE-LITTER says...

The
Unfortunately, he

> > > When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a
little
> > > over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
> > > anything you can do about it.
> > >

> > That doesn't make any more sense than saying that it's "all genetic"
when
> > people are fat an there isn't anything we can do about it. That
statement
> > is almost always incorrect. It's true that some breeds of cats will
weigh
> > more than others (such as a Maine Coon), but the cat in that article is
> > morbidly obese. The fault with that lies with an owner who has not
taken
> > proper care of the cat.
> >
> > MaryL
>
> I'm tired of these 'improper care' nazi's in the group like yourself. He
> was fed and cared for with regular vet visits, etc. And yes, he was part
> Main Coon.

Well, Maine Coons are big. But still, 30 lbs?

March 25th 06, 08:16 PM

>> > When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a little
>> > over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
>> > anything you can do about it.
>> >

>> That doesn't make any more sense than saying that it's "all genetic" when
>> people are fat an there isn't anything we can do about it. That
>> statement
>> is almost always incorrect. It's true that some breeds of cats will
>> weigh
>> more than others (such as a Maine Coon), but the cat in that article is
>> morbidly obese. The fault with that lies with an owner who has not taken
>> proper care of the cat.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> I'm tired of these 'improper care' nazi's in the group like yourself. He
> was fed and cared for with regular vet visits, etc. And yes, he was part
> Main Coon.

Yes, yes,yes some Maine Coon tomcats can get that large without being
excessively fat. Some can reach that size without being fat at all.

You should follow the vet's advice if he says your cat needs to lost
weight. Otherwise, if the kitty is still active, can race, run, play, leap
up on furniture I wouldn't worry about a little chubbiness.

However, a warning ---- there is at least one problem with real cat
obesity - they are much more likely to have liver failure if they get a
virus or something and stop eating for 4-5 days. Cat metabolisms are not
designed to allow that long without eating. Pay attention to everyone's
eating habits (fat or not), and if they stop eating that long get them to
the vet. (I didn't notice my older chubby cat stopped eating because she
and the kitten used the same dish. Cost $2500 in vet bills to save her
from liver failure. I'm now careful to keep her weight down, and also make
sure everyone is eating.)

-- maryjane

MaryL
March 25th 06, 08:44 PM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
> THE-LITTER says...
>>
>> "T" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> > In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
>> > THE-LITTER says...

>> > When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a little
>> > over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
>> > anything you can do about it.
>> >

>> That doesn't make any more sense than saying that it's "all genetic" when
>> people are fat an there isn't anything we can do about it. That
>> statement
>> is almost always incorrect. It's true that some breeds of cats will
>> weigh
>> more than others (such as a Maine Coon), but the cat in that article is
>> morbidly obese. The fault with that lies with an owner who has not taken
>> proper care of the cat.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> I'm tired of these 'improper care' nazi's in the group like yourself. He
> was fed and cared for with regular vet visits, etc. And yes, he was part
> Main Coon.

Where did you get that?? Put on your reading glasses and look at the
messages. I was talking about the cat in the article -- the cat vying for
"the world's fattest feline award." *That* is the cat I called morbidly
obese, and I think it is obvious that he is receiving care -- for one thing,
he eats 30 pounds of food per week, and that is an amount I have *never*
heard of any other cat eating. I don't know you, and I don't know anything
about your cat, so I certainly did not make that comment about you. On the
other hand, you do seem to have taken the remark personally and it's
difficult to believe that 30 pounds would be within any normal weight
limits. Here's the link to the article we were discussing:
http://tinyurl.com/krqwr

MaryL

MaryL

Charlie Wilkes
March 26th 06, 02:42 AM
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:37:53 GMT, "D." >
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>
>> Here's the link to the article we were discussing:
>> http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
>
>> "He's a waddler. He's not much for running, but he tries," Kirk said.
>
>Well, my cat can do more than "try" -- he runs like a speed demon, which
>I think is the norm for a healthy cat. Unfortunately, they don't
>mention Iggy's age, but I'll bet he's not that old.
>
>> Despite Iggy's girth, Joyce insists he is otherwise healthy and likes a whole
>> lot of loving.
>
>No animal that obese is "otherwise" healthy.

I don't get the impression you are wasting away yourself, Diane. You
got one too many chins for that.

Charlie

Claude V. Lucas
March 26th 06, 05:03 AM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:

>"T" > wrote in message
. ..
>> In article <[email protected]>, -OUT-
>> THE-LITTER says...
>> >
>> > "T" > wrote in message
>> > . ..
-OUT-

>"boasts
>The
>waddler"
>Unfortunately, he
>his

>fattest
>and a
>is

>not be
>would

>little
>> > >

>> > That doesn't make any more sense than saying that it's "all genetic"
>when
>> > people are fat an there isn't anything we can do about it. That
>statement
>> > is almost always incorrect. It's true that some breeds of cats will
>weigh
>> > more than others (such as a Maine Coon), but the cat in that article is
>> > morbidly obese. The fault with that lies with an owner who has not
>taken
>> > proper care of the cat.
>> >
>> > MaryL
>>
>> I'm tired of these 'improper care' nazi's in the group like yourself. He
>> was fed and cared for with regular vet visits, etc. And yes, he was part
>> Main Coon.
>>

>Well, Maine Coons are big. But still, 30 lbs?

http://www.kcking.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Articles/fact_file.htm

"Maine Coons are record breaking!

Verismo's Leonetti Reserve Red is the world's longest cat
according to the Guinness Book of Records.

Leo weighed in at 35lb and was a record-breaking
48" long from nose to tail.
Leo was measured in March 2002 by the Guinness Book of
Records vet who stressed that Leo was NOT overweight."

Claude

John Doe
March 26th 06, 05:24 AM
Charlie Wilkes <charlie_wilkes users.easynews.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:37:53 GMT, "D." <delenn
> nospamatmindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <EYhVf.767$C85.550 dukeread10>,
>> "MaryL" <stancole1 yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>>
>>> Here's the link to the article we were discussing:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
>>
>>> "He's a waddler. He's not much for running, but he tries," Kirk
>>> said.
>>
>>Well, my cat can do more than "try" -- he runs like a speed demon,
>>which I think is the norm for a healthy cat. Unfortunately, they
>>don't mention Iggy's age, but I'll bet he's not that old.
>>
>>> Despite Iggy's girth, Joyce insists he is otherwise healthy and
>>> likes a whole lot of loving.
>>
>>No animal that obese is "otherwise" healthy.
>
> I don't get the impression you are wasting away yourself, Diane.
> You got one too many chins for that.

What was that for?

> Charlie

> From: Charlie Wilkes <charlie_wilkes users.easynews.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: Fat cat = animal abuse
> Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 01:42:32 GMT

cybercat
March 26th 06, 07:19 AM
"D." > wrote in message
link.net...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Phil P." > wrote:
>
> > Asinine contests like this encourage idiots to overfeed their
> > cats. Instead of being featured on Ripley's Believe It or Not and
America's
> > Funniest Home Videos, the owner should be jailed for animal abuse. That
> > would send the *correct* message.
>
> Looking again, 30 pounds a week? I wonder if the average human eats that
> much a week.

I think it is all a bunch of horse ****. When a story is centered on
"biggest,
fattest, loudest, tallest ...." and similar superlatives/hyperboles, it is
aimed at
idiots. Numbskulls for whom stimulation requires overkill. eckkkkk.

Claude V. Lucas
March 27th 06, 04:03 AM
In article . net>,
D. > wrote:
>In article >,
> (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>
>> http://www.kcking.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Articles/fact_file.htm
>>
>> "Maine Coons are record breaking!
>>
>> Verismo's Leonetti Reserve Red is the world's longest cat
>> according to the Guinness Book of Records.
>>
>> Leo weighed in at 35lb and was a record-breaking
>> 48" long from nose to tail.
>> Leo was measured in March 2002 by the Guinness Book of
>> Records vet who stressed that Leo was NOT overweight."
>
>I don't think anyone is arguing that, but from a description of
>"waddles," "wants to run but can't," etc., it doesn't sound like this is
>a naturally large cat, just an overfed one.

I think you have Leo confused with the white and black one
that was on TV a while back. That one *is* a sad case.

I found some pix of Leo.

http://www.verismocat.com/htmscripts/leo-guinness.htm

Makes Bubba seem tiny at a mere 23Lbs.

BTW, The Guiness records for cats are now by length rather
than weight to keep the dull-witted from stuffing their
unfortunate pets in ill-conceived attempt to get in the book.

Claude

March 27th 06, 05:47 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article . net>,
> D. > wrote:
>>In article >,
>> (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.kcking.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Articles/fact_file.htm
>>>
>>> "Maine Coons are record breaking!
>>>
>>> Verismo's Leonetti Reserve Red is the world's longest cat
>>> according to the Guinness Book of Records.
>>>
>>> Leo weighed in at 35lb and was a record-breaking
>>> 48" long from nose to tail.
>>> Leo was measured in March 2002 by the Guinness Book of
>>> Records vet who stressed that Leo was NOT overweight."
>>
>>I don't think anyone is arguing that, but from a description of
>>"waddles," "wants to run but can't," etc., it doesn't sound like this is
>>a naturally large cat, just an overfed one.
>>
> I think you have Leo confused with the white and black one
> that was on TV a while back. That one *is* a sad case.
> I found some pix of Leo.
>
> http://www.verismocat.com/htmscripts/leo-guinness.htm
>
> Makes Bubba seem tiny at a mere 23Lbs.
>
> Claude

OMG! That cat is enormous. He's definitely not fat either. Its like owning
3 cats in one. Wonder how much noise he makes running down the hall at
night? Very cute pics. I knew Maine Coons could get that big, just never
saw one.

-- maryjane

Claude V. Lucas
March 27th 06, 06:09 AM
In article >,
> wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article . net>,
>> D. > wrote:

>>>I don't think anyone is arguing that, but from a description of
>>>"waddles," "wants to run but can't," etc., it doesn't sound like this is
>>>a naturally large cat, just an overfed one.
>>>
>> I think you have Leo confused with the white and black one
>> that was on TV a while back. That one *is* a sad case.
>> I found some pix of Leo.
>>
>> http://www.verismocat.com/htmscripts/leo-guinness.htm
>>
>> Makes Bubba seem tiny at a mere 23Lbs.
>>
>> Claude
>
>OMG! That cat is enormous. He's definitely not fat either. Its like owning
>3 cats in one. Wonder how much noise he makes running down the hall at
>night? Very cute pics. I knew Maine Coons could get that big, just never
>saw one.
>
>-- maryjane

There's a bunch of cool pictures on that website.

Those people breed some beautiful cats.

Claude

MaryL
March 27th 06, 09:45 AM
"IBen Getiner" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> MaryL wrote:
>> Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
>

> So.... Who's fault is it when a person eats all they want too and
> become overweight...? McDonalds and Burger King! Who else!
> Note, ladies and gentlemen, the stunning similarities between this
> recent liberal left-wing attitude towards individual non-responsibility
> and their new current leap of illogic... you are an animial abuser
> becaus your cat is fat. Remarkable...
>

> IBen

This cat is more than merely "fat" (even though that was the word I used) or
"overweight." He is morbidly obese (and the owner has him vying for the
title of "world's fattest feline." He cannot even walk correctly; the owner
says he "waddles." If we as human beings overeat, that is our own problem
and our own responsibility. If a cat is fed 30 pounds of food per week
(that's right, this cat eats 30 pounds!), then that is the responsibility of
the owner -- and it's cat abuse. It is our responsibility to provide
quality care.

MaryL

IBen Getiner
March 27th 06, 10:26 AM
MaryL wrote:
> "IBen Getiner" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > MaryL wrote:
> >> Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr
> >

> > So.... Who's fault is it when a person eats all they want too and
> > become overweight...? McDonalds and Burger King! Who else!
> > Note, ladies and gentlemen, the stunning similarities between this
> > recent liberal left-wing attitude towards individual non-responsibility
> > and their new current leap of illogic... you are an animial abuser
> > becaus your cat is fat. Remarkable...
> >

> > IBen
> >

> This cat is more than merely "fat" (even though that was the word I used) or
> "overweight." He is morbidly obese (and the owner has him vying for the
> title of "world's fattest feline." He cannot even walk correctly; the owner
> says he "waddles." If we as human beings overeat, that is our own problem
> and our own responsibility. If a cat is fed 30 pounds of food per week
> (that's right, this cat eats 30 pounds!), then that is the responsibility of
> the owner -- and it's cat abuse. It is our responsibility to provide
> quality care.
>
> MaryL

So... you take your cat to the vet and he tells you that it's kidney
function is down to 65 percent, but you can extend it's life a year by
doing all these special expensive things... Special diet and special
tests... to the tune of 100 bucks a week... Are you telling me that I'm
an abuser because I won't go down to the bank for a 2nd mortgage on my
house to save the thing?
You've got a problem with your conception of reality, lady. You and
every other nut who thinks like you...

Here.... A kool site for the unperturbed...

http://www.messybeast.com/freak-cats.htm

IBen Getiner

MaryL
March 27th 06, 10:41 AM
"IBen Getiner" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> MaryL wrote:
>> "IBen Getiner" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > So.... Who's fault is it when a person eats all they want too and
>> > become overweight...? McDonalds and Burger King! Who else!
>> > Note, ladies and gentlemen, the stunning similarities between this
>> > recent liberal left-wing attitude towards individual non-responsibility
>> > and their new current leap of illogic... you are an animial abuser
>> > becaus your cat is fat. Remarkable...
>> >

>> > IBen
>> >

>> This cat is more than merely "fat" (even though that was the word I used)
>> or
>> "overweight." He is morbidly obese (and the owner has him vying for the
>> title of "world's fattest feline." He cannot even walk correctly; the
>> owner
>> says he "waddles." If we as human beings overeat, that is our own
>> problem
>> and our own responsibility. If a cat is fed 30 pounds of food per week
>> (that's right, this cat eats 30 pounds!), then that is the responsibility
>> of
>> the owner -- and it's cat abuse. It is our responsibility to provide
>> quality care.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> So... you take your cat to the vet and he tells you that it's kidney
> function is down to 65 percent, but you can extend it's life a year by
> doing all these special expensive things... Special diet and special
> tests... to the tune of 100 bucks a week... Are you telling me that I'm
> an abuser because I won't go down to the bank for a 2nd mortgage on my
> house to save the thing?
> You've got a problem with your conception of reality, lady. You and
> every other nut who thinks like you...
>
> Here.... A kool site for the unperturbed...
>
> http://www.messybeast.com/freak-cats.htm
>
> IBen Getiner

And you have a problem with reading. I didn't say *any* of those things.
This entire thread deals exclusively with a morbidly obese cat and the
responsibility of the owner for that condition (or it did, until you
inserted your "reading between the lines" commentary).

MaryL

March 27th 06, 05:46 PM
"D." > wrote in message
link.net...
> In article >,
> (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>
>> >I don't think anyone is arguing that, but from a description of
>> >"waddles," "wants to run but can't," etc., it doesn't sound like this is
>> >a naturally large cat, just an overfed one.
>> >
>> I think you have Leo confused with the white and black one
>> that was on TV a while back. That one *is* a sad case.
>
> Nope, I don't have them confused. They're different colors.
>
>> I found some pix of Leo.
>> http://www.verismocat.com/htmscripts/leo-guinness.htm
>
> Doesn't look like a healthy body condition. And the owner is the one who
> said he waddles and can't run.
> --

No, No No people these are 2 totally different cats. The huge fat cat lives
in China. And yes, he's so fat he can't even jump on the bed by himself.
The Chinese cat is very obese. Leo is just a real big boy - like many Maine
Coon tomcats. Its said that if you want a dog, but your apts won't allow
them, buy a Maine Coon - they can get as big as medium size dogs. Maine
Coons are also long haired - if you look at the pictures closely half his
apparent size is fur.

Link to sadly obese cat:

http://keyetv.com/watercooler/local_story_051145935.html

--maryjane

Claude V. Lucas
March 27th 06, 06:27 PM
In article . net>,
D. > wrote:
>In article >,
> (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>
>> >I don't think anyone is arguing that, but from a description of
>> >"waddles," "wants to run but can't," etc., it doesn't sound like this is
>> >a naturally large cat, just an overfed one.
>> >

>> I think you have Leo confused with the white and black one
>> that was on TV a while back. That one *is* a sad case.
>
>Nope, I don't have them confused. They're different colors.
>
>> I found some pix of Leo.
>>
>> http://www.verismocat.com/htmscripts/leo-guinness.htm
>
>Doesn't look like a healthy body condition. And the owner is the one who
>said he waddles and can't run.

Well, the breeders and the vet disagree with you...

Some of the other Verismo Maine Coons look "large boned" as well.

Claude

Glitter Ninja
March 27th 06, 08:09 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> writes:

>I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not be
>glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy.

Ripley's and Guiness' Book have always glorified crazy, dangerous
stunts. Smoking the most cigarettes at once or breaking the most bones
or weighing over 1,000 pounds. That's what they do, it's how they make
their money, and it's always been this way. I'm sorry, I am not trying
to be rude, but writing to them is silly.

Stacia

Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \)
March 27th 06, 08:16 PM
Guinness is no longer recognizing animal weight or dangerous animal behavior
due to they believe that it will lead to people deliberately over feeding
their pets and or putting them in danger.

"Glitter Ninja" > wrote in message
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> writes:
>
>>I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not be
>>glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy.
>
> Ripley's and Guiness' Book have always glorified crazy, dangerous
> stunts. Smoking the most cigarettes at once or breaking the most bones
> or weighing over 1,000 pounds. That's what they do, it's how they make
> their money, and it's always been this way. I'm sorry, I am not trying
> to be rude, but writing to them is silly.
>
> Stacia

Charlie Wilkes
March 28th 06, 01:07 AM
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:16:32 GMT, "Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL
\)" <10 points a troll @linethetrollsup.com> wrote:

>Guinness is no longer recognizing animal weight or dangerous animal behavior
>due to they believe that it will lead to people deliberately over feeding
>their pets and or putting them in danger.

Yeah, it says so right on the web page with the pictures of this
oversized housecat. The record is based on length, not weight.

But the cat-care nazis have rendered their judgement and further
information is not welcome.

Charlie

>"Glitter Ninja" > wrote in message
>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> writes:
>>
>>>I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not be
>>>glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy.
>>
>> Ripley's and Guiness' Book have always glorified crazy, dangerous
>> stunts. Smoking the most cigarettes at once or breaking the most bones
>> or weighing over 1,000 pounds. That's what they do, it's how they make
>> their money, and it's always been this way. I'm sorry, I am not trying
>> to be rude, but writing to them is silly.
>>
>> Stacia

Charlie Wilkes
March 28th 06, 05:24 AM
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:28:26 GMT, "D." >
wrote:

>In article >,
> (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>
>> >Doesn't look like a healthy body condition. And the owner is the one who
>> >said he waddles and can't run.
>> >

>> Well, the breeders and the vet disagree with you...
>
>The veterinarian getting publicity? I can't say I'm surprised. I'd like
>to hear from a disinterested veterinarian, especially about the 30
>pounds a week, the waddling, and the "can't run."

You are confused between Iggy, the waddling cat who is a contender for
Ripleys, versus Leo, the Maine Coon who is a Guiness contender based
on length.

>> Some of the other Verismo Maine Coons look "large boned" as well.
>
>I didn't see bone. I didn't see a waist. I didn't see any of the typical
>signs of a healthy body condition. Normal cats can walk, not waddle.

You have Leo confused with Iggy. Leo can stretch up and put his paws
on the kitchen counter. Iggy is probably too fat to do that.

>Normal cats can run. This cat appears to weigh about as much as a
>good-sized bobcat. Bobcats can run and leap and catch prey.

Leo looks like he could run. Iggy's the one who can't run. You have
confused these two in your thinking.

>I said this cat looked obese the first time I saw him, and I still think
>so. "Furry" doesn't explain all that fat.

Not "this cat" Diane. "These cats," i.e., Iggy and Leo.

You have them confused.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
March 28th 06, 06:35 AM
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:29:51 GMT, "D." >
wrote:

>In article >,
> > wrote:
>
>> link.net...

>> > Nope, I don't have them confused. They're different colors.

>> > Doesn't look like a healthy body condition. And the owner is the one who
>> > said he waddles and can't run.
>> > --
>>
>> No, No No people these are 2 totally different cats.
>
>Except I was never confused and wasn't even thinking of the Chinese cat.

No, you were thinking of Iggy, the Missouri cat, whom you have
confused with Leo, the Chicago cat.

>I'm not even sure why it came up since no one seems to be confused.

Au contraire, madame! You are confused.

Charlie