PDA

View Full Version : Cats act like they are starving

blkcatgal
March 26th 06, 11:53 PM
I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old. They
both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging for
food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2 oz.
can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals, morning
and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food several
times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights. But both
act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen, they both
run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just playing me or
am I really not feeding them enough?

Also, should I be feeding the 8 month old kitten food? I just adopted him
and the people at the shelter told me he didn't need kitten food anymore.
He weighs just under 10 lbs.

Thanks for any advice.

Sue

MaryL
March 27th 06, 01:51 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old.
>They both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging
>for food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2
>oz. can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals,
>morning and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food
>several times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights.
>But both act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen,
>they both run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just
>playing me or am I really not feeding them enough?
>
> Also, should I be feeding the 8 month old kitten food? I just adopted him
> and the people at the shelter told me he didn't need kitten food anymore.
> He weighs just under 10 lbs.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Sue

First, I would suggest that you change to all canned food (premium) and
dispense with the dry. If you do continue with dry food, you should still
stick with two meals a day at approximately 12-hour intervals (either all
canned at one meal and all dry at another or divide each in half for each
meal). As it is, you are giving them small quantities throughout the day,
so they probably associate the kitchen with multiple feedings and expect
something each time. It will be much better for for cats' health, though,
if you use only premium canned.

Second, if your cats still seem hungry, you could mix a little water with
their canned food. That will add volume but not calories.

MaryL

Buddy
March 27th 06, 02:29 AM
Perhaps they are looking for attention and not just food? Do you play
with them daily? Groom them daily? I think maybe you are mistaking
their actions for needing food when they need attention?

blkcatgal
March 27th 06, 02:43 AM
These cats get tons of attention. I don't think that is the issue.

"Buddy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Perhaps they are looking for attention and not just food? Do you play
> with them daily? Groom them daily? I think maybe you are mistaking
> their actions for needing food when they need attention?

March 27th 06, 03:06 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old.
>They both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging
>for food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2
>oz. can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals,
>morning and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food
>several times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights.
>But both act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen,
>they both run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just
>playing me or am I really not feeding them enough?
> Thanks for any advice.
> Sue

Maybe they don't need the calories, but they still don't FEEL full. IAMS,
Hills, etc premium foods come in some high fiber varieties. These are very
filling without adding weight to the cat.
Or, you can buy diet cat food and just feed them more.

But I think I'd try premium canned food first. More like their natural
diet, and has lots of needed moisture. Many cats on dry food don't drink
nearly enough water.

-- maryjane

blkcatgal
March 27th 06, 05:23 AM
The canned food they get is a premium food....Wellness, Petguard. And I
have been feeding them premium dry food....Royal Canin, Science Diet...for
indoor cats. I did try to feed them an all canned food diet, but the little
one has a small problem with the canned food. It makes his breath really
stinky. So I began feeding them 50/50 canned and dry. His breath has been
much better.

> wrote in message
. com...

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>>I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old.
>>They both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging
>>for food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2
>>oz. can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals,
>>morning and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry
>>food several times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal
>>weights. But both act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the
>>kitchen, they both run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are
>>they just playing me or am I really not feeding them enough?
>> Thanks for any advice.
>> Sue
>>
> Maybe they don't need the calories, but they still don't FEEL full. IAMS,
> Hills, etc premium foods come in some high fiber varieties. These are
> very filling without adding weight to the cat.
> Or, you can buy diet cat food and just feed them more.
>
> But I think I'd try premium canned food first. More like their natural
> diet, and has lots of needed moisture. Many cats on dry food don't drink
> nearly enough water.
>
> -- maryjane

Barb
March 27th 06, 05:50 PM
Could be a behavior pattern type thing. While you are giving them plenty of
attention they could also be bored. I think cats need much more interesting
toys than the ones in the stores. Other than interactive toys my cats
basically have abandoned their toys. I wish some creative person would
invent some really different toys for cats.

They do love a cat tree, especially parked near a wall unit or other high
furniture.

Any great inventors out there?

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

mpwilliams
March 27th 06, 09:31 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old.
>They both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging
>for food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2
>oz. can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals,
>morning and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food
>several times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights.
>But both act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen,
>they both run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just
>playing me or am I really not feeding them enough?

We have a female ADSH tortie who, at 10 lbs dripping wet, can polish off the
entire tenderloin side of a 32-oz Porterhouse steak in one sitting. It's
quite amazing, really.

Freight Train Jones
March 27th 06, 11:18 PM
blkcatgal wrote:
<starving cats>
> Thanks for any advice.

why not consider leaving food out all the time
the food they like i mean

pussywizard (i happen to respect his opinions)

claims that animals and cats! are like their owners.

if you are rotund, i bet your cats become rotund, given all the food
they desire

no worry about them barfing, they'll get the hang of it...they'll learn
they won't have to scarf it down as it's not going anywhere.

just try it, i've had excellent success and both my cats one is very
young one is middle aged, have cute little figures...and they can eat
all they want..anytime..

it's a phsycology, It's human..i mean Cat nature to want what you can't
have.

I don't want a glass of milk until I am out of milk. I mean I crave it
worse THEN..

juss try it

Rhonda
March 28th 06, 05:29 PM
blkcatgal wrote:

> The canned food they get is a premium food....Wellness, Petguard. And I
> have been feeding them premium dry food....Royal Canin, Science Diet...for
> indoor cats. I did try to feed them an all canned food diet, but the little
> one has a small problem with the canned food. It makes his breath really
> stinky. So I began feeding them 50/50 canned and dry. His breath has been
> much better.

I've never met a cat would good breath... I'd still give them the wet
food if that was the only problem.

Rhonda

Elaine Bradbury
March 28th 06, 09:45 PM
Sue

Get the vets to check out your cats to make sure they dont have worms. In my
experience, cats will stop eating when they are full, they dont normally pig
out.

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old.
They
> both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging for
> food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2 oz.
> can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals,
morning
> and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food
several
> times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights. But
both
> act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen, they both
> run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just playing me
or
> am I really not feeding them enough?
>
> Also, should I be feeding the 8 month old kitten food? I just adopted him
> and the people at the shelter told me he didn't need kitten food anymore.
> He weighs just under 10 lbs.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Sue

blkcatgal
March 28th 06, 11:43 PM
They have been checked for worms and are fine. In fact, the little one was
given worm medication before I adopted him (adopted him 2 1/2 weeks ago) as
a preventative. Maybe I'm not feeding them enough....and they aren't
full....that's why they are bugging me for more food????

"Elaine Bradbury" > wrote in message
> Sue
>
> Get the vets to check out your cats to make sure they dont have worms. In
> my
> experience, cats will stop eating when they are full, they dont normally
> pig
> out.
>

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old.
> They
>> both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging for
>> food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2 oz.
>> can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals,
> morning
>> and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food
> several
>> times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights. But
> both
>> act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen, they both
>> run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just playing me
> or
>> am I really not feeding them enough?
>>
>> Also, should I be feeding the 8 month old kitten food? I just adopted
>> him
>> and the people at the shelter told me he didn't need kitten food anymore.
>> He weighs just under 10 lbs.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Sue

John Doe
March 29th 06, 01:13 PM
<m_kelbell sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> But I think I'd try premium canned food first. More like their natural
> diet, and has lots of needed moisture. Many cats on dry food don't drink
> nearly enough water.

That's nonsense.

> -- maryjane

> From: <m_kelbell sbcglobal.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: Cats act like they are starving
> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 02:06:50 GMT

Phil P.
March 29th 06, 08:51 PM
> wrote in message
. com...

> But I think I'd try premium canned food first. More like their natural
> diet, and has lots of needed moisture. Many cats on dry food don't drink
> nearly enough water.

Absotively. Cats fed canned food have a higher total water intake than cats
fed dry food- about 150% to 200% higher. IOW, for any given dry matter
intake cats have a higher water turnover on canned than on dry foods.

For more detail about the cat's water requirements and intake, visit my
site: http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm Water Requirements

PawsForThought
March 29th 06, 09:40 PM
blkcatgal wrote:
> I have 2 male cats...one is almost 3, the other is about 8 months old. They
> both act like I don't feed them enough. They are constantly begging for
> food. I currently am feeding them each about 1/2 can of food (5 1/2 oz.
> can) and about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of dry a day, usually given in 2 meals, morning
> and dinnertime. (I usually give them small amounts of the dry food several
> times during the day and evening). Both cats are normal weights. But both
> act like I am starving them. Every time I go into the kitchen, they both
> run in and start meowing and begging for food. Are they just playing me or
> am I really not feeding them enough?

Young cats may need more food as they're usually more active. I would
go for a good canned food as the main part of their diet. It could be
the food you're feeding is not satisfying them, possibly because it's
high in grains, and they need more protein in their diet. My cats are
fed twice a day and they never beg for food. They don't get any dry
food. Dry food also has a lot of flavor enhancers that I think makes
it like kitty crack and can lead to that begging behavior.

Lesley
March 30th 06, 04:32 PM

> Also, should I be feeding the 8 month old kitten food? I just adopted him
> and the people at the shelter told me he didn't need kitten food anymore.

Accordingly to the instructions you should feed kitten food until the
cat is 1 year old. I admit through that my two got occasional adult
food from 10 months gradually changing over until their 1st birthday
but that was mainly down to the local shop not having kitten food

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs