PDA

View Full Version : Pls help with Cat Travel questions

catsarecool
March 27th 06, 05:19 PM
I have been taking my cat every other day for a ride, 5min to 1hr. He still
whines and cowls and pants and it gets me worried. Please,

1. Will this stop? How can I lessen this?
2. Is there any danger?
3. I am planning a 3 day, 10hr/day travel. We will stay overnight at
pet-friendly motels 2 nights. How often should we take breaks? What should I
put in his cage?
4. Any other tips at all on how to make things more comfortable for the
little furry guy.

lotsaluv & many thanks
Al

Anna via CatKB.com
March 27th 06, 07:30 PM
>I have been taking my cat every other day for a ride, 5min to 1hr. He still
>whines and cowls and pants and it gets me worried. Please,
>
>1. Will this stop? How can I lessen this?

Don't know how old he is but if he has just started getting car rides and
isn't used to them, that would explain his anxiety. It may lessen over time
once you take him more or it might not, only time will tell.

>2. Is there any danger?

Only if you get in an accident. Can also cause a anxiety, stress and a
possibility of him holding his urine for long periods (may be too scared to
go).

>3. I am planning a 3 day, 10hr/day travel. We will stay overnight at
>pet-friendly motels 2 nights. How often should we take breaks? What should I
>put in his cage?

You will need to stop to give him some food if he is too scared to eat any
food in his cage when the car is moving. You'll need to offer him water too
but just in case he won't drink, I would feed him canned to get some moisture
into him (but if he's never had canned before don't give it to him for the
first time during your travels - could cause an upset stomach if introduced
abruptly). I would get a large dog crate so you could put his litter box in
there. Also a towel or blanket to lay on. *NEVER, EVER* let him out of the
cage with the car door open or before the motel door is shut behind you. If
you plan on travelling regularly with him, I would get him microchipped and
also put some other kind of id on him.

>4. Any other tips at all on how to make things more comfortable for the
>little furry guy.

Don't know why you're traveling with him but if it's because you're moving,
then it has to be done. If you're going on a trip, the best (and easiest)
thing to do is leave him at home and have a friend or pet sitter come in and
feed him and spend time with him. Most cats don't like leaving their home.

catsarecool
March 27th 06, 11:53 PM
thank you for being so kind to answer these questions. I read the prior
posts including one on
how to gradually acclimate them and reward w/kitty treats. Many good ideas
and the basic them of gradually increasing frequency and duration. Yes, I am
moving.

When he pants, is there any danger? I.e., are there any symptoms for which I
should pull over and give him a break?
many thanks:)

Anna via CatKB.com
March 28th 06, 01:56 AM
>thank you for being so kind to answer these questions. I read the prior
>posts including one on
>how to gradually acclimate them and reward w/kitty treats. Many good ideas
>and the basic them of gradually increasing frequency and duration. Yes, I am
>moving.
>
>When he pants, is there any danger? I.e., are there any symptoms for which I
>should pull over and give him a break?
>many thanks:)

Do you have air cond. in the car?