PDA

View Full Version : kitty problems

March 27th 06, 05:51 PM
I have 2 cats that have been living together for close to 3 years now
in the same room as each other, and just recently one has been real
aggressive (hissing and swatting) to the other one (when ive been
around) and bfore as far as I know theyve been great with each other,
as kittens they would roll around on the floor wrestling with each
other, etc... any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated

Anna via CatKB.com
March 27th 06, 06:47 PM
>I have 2 cats that have been living together for close to 3 years now
>in the same room as each other, and just recently one has been real
>aggressive (hissing and swatting) to the other one (when ive been
>around) and bfore as far as I know theyve been great with each other,
>as kittens they would roll around on the floor wrestling with each
>other, etc... any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated

Maybe the one who's being aggressive is not feeling well; are litterbox
habits still the same, eating habits, etc?

Another thing it could be is that there is a neighbourhood cat that they are
seeing outside in the yard; this can cause nervousness and aggression .
He/she could be taking it out on the other cat.

Are they both neutured or spayed?

Anna via CatKB.com
March 27th 06, 10:26 PM
>that actually is a good point about the other cat, part of our problem
>probably is that they need to get fixed, and shots and stuff, part of

Definitely, for sure, too bad you didn't have it done when they were younger.
Unfixed cats are more aggressive. You didn't mention what sex they both were.

>another thing is that one of the cats is nice and plump and the shy one
>is skinner, almost short of skin and bones, in the meantime i think i
>might try to separate them for a little while while i feed them both
>canned food or something, i feel horrible not giving them more

The fat one may be eating most of the food while the skinny one is getting
less. If he/she is basically skin and bones, you really need to make sure
she is getting food. They also need a good check up at vet to make sure all
is okay.

>attention and spending time with them. far as i know the eating habits
>and stuff are still the same, thank you very much for hte ideas, im
>open to anything i can get my hands on

I saw your other post saying that they're living in one room together; do you
mean they never get to roam the house? And you said it's because you have a
couple aggressive dogs. You also mentioned you and your fiance have not been
able to spend much time with them. So they're just basically living by
themselves in a room with one of you going in to feed them and scoop the
litter box? This sounds like a very stressful situation for them, they need
attention to be happy, well adjusted cats. If you introduce them to the dogs,
you would have to put them in their carriers before letting the dogs get near
them just to make sure they're safe. If it's really bad, perhaps either the
dogs or the cats will need to have new homes found for them, whichever you're
willing to give up.

March 27th 06, 11:27 PM
will it be more stressful if i would have them fixed now, both of them
are females. once in a while they get to roam the house with the
exception of our bedroom, but the dogs pretty much "own" the place if
you will. but yea basically they are in their room 24/7 its also my
computer room so i do go in there as often as possible (not just for
computer) any ideas how i can make nice between the dogs and the cats,
you mentioned taking them around in carriers, to be protected and kind
of "see the world", its not as if the dogs are aggressive towards
them..well we havent really let them get to that point. but they are
curious and clumsy. but i dont really wana let them figure out what
the cats taste like. thank you sooo much
Alex

meee
March 28th 06, 01:31 AM
Hi Alex, I'll just add my 2 cents if you don't mind :) I have 6 cats, 2 of
which are female so i understand your situation. Ok, number one. get the
cats desexed. It makes no difference whether they are littermates or not,
cats, especially females, will have probs at around the age your two are.
they are adults now, and in normal cat situations, (ie wild cats) would have
their own territotries, would not be on speaking terms, and would be raising
kittens at this age. You will have a 'dominant' cat and an 'underdog' so to
speak. Having them desexed will make them a lot less agressive about this.
With my two girls, the older one dominates the younger, skinnier one, and I
do have to watch meal times carefully. With meal times, if I were you, I
would set up a 'meal area' in your living area that is out of reach of the
dogs, ie on a bench top or cupboard. Have set meal times, and make this time
a 'family time' where you can supervise your cats eating, and you and your
girlfriend can spend some time with them. Your cats and your dogs are your
family, and it's not good to have this separation. However, I wouldn't even
leave cats and dogs unsupervised. If the dogs are chihuaha size, you could
eventually leave them unsupervised, but only if the cats have plenty of
above ground routes where they can get away from the dogs. Do you have a
back yard area, or perhaps a balcony?? It might be worth your while to look
into an outdoor enclosure for either your dogs or cats. If you have a
backyard, you could erect an addition to the cat's room that they can access
from their room with no help from you, ie through a window. This will
improve your cats life and happiness 100%, as this will give them both more
space, and also something to occupy their minds. Just make sure they have a
place to get out of the weather. Pretty much the only thing you can do here
is desex your cats (very important, decreasing cancer risk etc etc) and
allow them out of the room when you are home. Let them mingle with the dogs,
but only while you are actively supervising them (ie not when you are
sleeping/showering). Hope things get better. Multiple animal households are
a challenge, but are worth it!!
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> will it be more stressful if i would have them fixed now, both of them
> are females. once in a while they get to roam the house with the
> exception of our bedroom, but the dogs pretty much "own" the place if
> you will. but yea basically they are in their room 24/7 its also my
> computer room so i do go in there as often as possible (not just for
> computer) any ideas how i can make nice between the dogs and the cats,
> you mentioned taking them around in carriers, to be protected and kind
> of "see the world", its not as if the dogs are aggressive towards
> them..well we havent really let them get to that point. but they are
> curious and clumsy. but i dont really wana let them figure out what
> the cats taste like. thank you sooo much
> Alex

March 28th 06, 01:43 AM
No, it won't be more stressful for them to fixed now. Its more stressful to
them to keep coming into heat. Don't they drive you crazy yowling to get
outside when they're in heat? Please get them to the vet, there's no reason
for them to remain unfixed. What if one of them got outside and got
pregnant? Believe me they'll try their darndest when they are in heat. Then
you'd have to deal with dogs, cats, and a whole litter of kittens to find
homes for.

What is the problem between the dogs and cats? Have the dogs EVER harmed a
cat? How do the dogs act around the cats? Curious and playful? That's
pretty normal. My dogs always wanted to figure out what these cat things
were. Then they wanted the cats to play.

You should be able to find several web pages covering how to get dogs and
kitties play nice. If you take things slowly, there's no reason you can't
teach the almost any dog how to behave around the cats. But follow the
advice on the following web pages just in case - there are a few dogs should
never be around cats.

Here are tips for dog/cat introduction:
http://petcaretips.net/dog_cat_wont_get_along.html
AND
Here is a good site for lots of other cat behavior questions:
http://petcaretips.net/cat_care.html#Cat%20Behavior

I did some suggestions from my own experience, but these web pages cover a
lot more.
Good luck, and just be patient on any dog/cat introductions.

-- maryjane

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> will it be more stressful if i would have them fixed now, both of them
> are females. once in a while they get to roam the house with the
> exception of our bedroom, but the dogs pretty much "own" the place if
> you will. but yea basically they are in their room 24/7 its also my
> computer room so i do go in there as often as possible (not just for
> computer) any ideas how i can make nice between the dogs and the cats,
> you mentioned taking them around in carriers, to be protected and kind
> of "see the world", its not as if the dogs are aggressive towards
> them..well we havent really let them get to that point. but they are
> curious and clumsy. but i dont really wana let them figure out what
> the cats taste like. thank you sooo much
> Alex

Anna via CatKB.com
March 28th 06, 02:07 AM
>will it be more stressful if i would have them fixed now, both of them
>are females. once in a while they get to roam the house with the

No, not at all. Going into heat repeatedly and being frustrated at not being
able to do something about it can be making them aggressive. Not only that,
but no more howling. They will be much nicer pets when you get them done.
It also reduces your cats' chances of getting mammary cancer and tumours of
the ovary and uterus. I've actually seen a semi-feral cat go from a snarly,
aggressive cat to a calm, playful cat once spayed.

>exception of our bedroom, but the dogs pretty much "own" the place if
>you will. but yea basically they are in their room 24/7 its also my
>computer room so i do go in there as often as possible (not just for
>computer) any ideas how i can make nice between the dogs and the cats,
>you mentioned taking them around in carriers, to be protected and kind
>of "see the world", its not as if the dogs are aggressive towards
>them..well we havent really let them get to that point. but they are
>curious and clumsy. but i dont really wana let them figure out what
>the cats taste like. thank you sooo much

Oh, that's great that the dogs are not super aggressive. Sure, you can
integrate them. Lots of people have multi-pet households. I don't have one,
but I did when I was younger - a german shepard with two cats. He was okay
with them but nipped once in awhile at their necks gently though, not hurting
them. It's going to take time though and patience. Definitely try and
integrate them (sorry, I was under the impression they were aggressive
because of your other post where you mentioned they "like the taste of
kitties", now I see you were joking - that's why I thought they might not be
able to live together). Once they all start living with each other, it'll
make things so much easier for all of you and then the "family" will all be
together.

Buddy
March 28th 06, 02:37 AM
What is it that you want? You have cats that aren't neutered, your
girlfriend has dogs that don't like cats? What is wrong here?
Duhhhhhhhhhhhh. First of all neuter your cats. Secondly, find another
friend.

IBen Getiner
March 29th 06, 11:23 AM
wrote:
> I have 2 cats that have been living together for close to 3 years now
> in the same room as each other, and just recently one has been real
> aggressive (hissing and swatting) to the other one (when ive been
> around) and bfore as far as I know theyve been great with each other,
> as kittens they would roll around on the floor wrestling with each
> other, etc... any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated

Get rid of one and keep the other. Or else learn to live with the bad
behaviour and hope it'll go away. What other advice can anyone
realistically give you? They aren't going to stop.

What kind of question is this, anyway? All your questions are this way.
You must be some kind of extra-patient troll or just plain dumb. Which
is it?

IBen

John Doe
March 29th 06, 11:55 AM
"alexfannin gmail.com" <alexfannin gmail.com> wrote:

> I have 2 cats that have been living together for close to 3 years
> now in the same room as each other, and just recently one has been
> real aggressive (hissing and swatting) to the other one (when ive
> been around) and bfore as far as I know theyve been great with
> each other, as kittens they would roll around on the floor
> wrestling with each other, etc... any ideas would be GREATLY
> appreciated

Except maybe separation, the first thing you do is clip the
aggressor's claws. The best time is upon awakening it from a nap
while you verbally soothe it. You don't have to clip them all at
the same time.

Good luck.

> From: "alexfannin gmail.com" <alexfannin gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: kitty problems
> Date: 27 Mar 2006 08:51:33 -0800

PawsForThought
March 29th 06, 04:35 PM
wrote:
> that actually is a good point about the other cat, part of our problem
> probably is that they need to get fixed, and shots and stuff, part of
> another thing is that one of the cats is nice and plump and the shy one
> is skinner, almost short of skin and bones, in the meantime i think i
> might try to separate them for a little while while i feed them both
> canned food or something, i feel horrible not giving them more
> attention and spending time with them. far as i know the eating habits
> and stuff are still the same, thank you very much for hte ideas, im
> open to anything i can get my hands on

First off, get them neutered immediately, if not sooner. Secondly, you
might try some Feliway: www.catfaeries.com