PDA

View Full Version : Electonic Smart Fence for Cats - experience

nelroy
March 28th 06, 08:42 PM
After having several cats saunter out of the garden and fail to survive
an encounter with the nearby motorway, I've been looking for solutions
for keeping them in a limited are whilst giving them the freedom of the
garden. The fences I've had put up failed miserably, but then I came
across the smartfence product from PetSafe. It seems like a good
solution, but I'm concerned about feeding my cats electric shocks and
also concerned as to whether this will really stop a determined moggy.
Does anyone have any experience with this product ?

Ted Davis
March 28th 06, 10:32 PM
On 28 Mar 2006 11:42:24 -0800, "nelroy" > wrote:

>After having several cats saunter out of the garden and fail to survive
>an encounter with the nearby motorway, I've been looking for solutions
>for keeping them in a limited are whilst giving them the freedom of the
>garden. The fences I've had put up failed miserably, but then I came
>across the smartfence product from PetSafe. It seems like a good
>solution, but I'm concerned about feeding my cats electric shocks and
>also concerned as to whether this will really stop a determined moggy.
>Does anyone have any experience with this product ?

I have no experience with cats, but I used one with a couple of dogs.
It would not stop a determined dog in a chase, but she would not then
return across the fence so I had to remove her collar and bring her
through the house. Also, a couple of times, the same one got caught
between the fence and an overgrown clump of trees and brush she
couldn't retreat through - she just hunkered down and suffered until I
removed her collar and dragged her back into the open.

I don't think I'd put a heavy, sturdy, expensive collar on an outside
cat in the hope it would keep the cat behind the fence without being
lost or trapping the cat on a bush stem or something.

I solved the problem of traffic by moving to the countryside - far
enough from the road and with more attractive terrain in the opposite
direction that it really isn't an issue. Before that, I had to keep
fewer cats, and keep them inside except when I was out with them.

--
T.E.D. )

AZ Nomad
March 28th 06, 11:34 PM
On 28 Mar 2006 11:42:24 -0800, nelroy > wrote:

>After having several cats saunter out of the garden and fail to survive
>an encounter with the nearby motorway, I've been looking for solutions
>for keeping them in a limited are whilst giving them the freedom of the
>garden. The fences I've had put up failed miserably, but then I came
>across the smartfence product from PetSafe. It seems like a good
>solution, but I'm concerned about feeding my cats electric shocks and
>also concerned as to whether this will really stop a determined moggy.
>Does anyone have any experience with this product ?

It's a terrible idea. The cat will try to get rid of that collar and
think about nothing else. Kitty will not associate the evil collar
with boundary lines, but might associate it with you and pee on your
bed to retaliate, or run away at the first chance never to return.