PDA

View Full Version : lukemia

March 29th 06, 03:39 AM
I just found out my cat has lukemia.
He had not been eating properly for two days so I took him to a vet
whare he had x rays and blood tests.
He now is on an antibotic and nutritional supplement administered by
medicine dropper.
He will take a few licks of milk but does not feel like eating
Has any one nursed a cat with lukemia and had them improve ?

Ed

March 29th 06, 04:07 AM
im so sorry

ed

IBen Getiner
March 29th 06, 05:44 AM
wrote:
> I just found out my cat has lukemia.
> He had not been eating properly for two days so I took him to a vet
> whare he had x rays and blood tests.
> He now is on an antibotic and nutritional supplement administered by
> medicine dropper.
> He will take a few licks of milk but does not feel like eating
> Has any one nursed a cat with lukemia and had them improve ?
>
> Ed

My beloved multi-coloured tabby died from that back in the 80's.
There's no hope, I'm afraid. There is now a vaccine, I do believe, but
if your boy didn't get it, it won't help now. It's a very slow and
degenerative process. He'll be sick most of the time and never appear
to get any better. There may be blood transfusion treatment available
to prolong his life these days. I'm not sure. Someone else more
knowledgeable may be able to tell you more.
It's gonna hurt, pal.. I know, because it happened to us. But that
day will surely come when you can't stand to see him suffer anymore.
Then, you'll make that last long ride to the vet. Sorry, Ed. I really
am...

IBen

Anna via CatKB.com
March 29th 06, 06:01 PM
>I just found out my cat has lukemia.
>He had not been eating properly for two days so I took him to a vet
>whare he had x rays and blood tests.
>He now is on an antibotic and nutritional supplement administered by
>medicine dropper.
>He will take a few licks of milk but does not feel like eating
>Has any one nursed a cat with lukemia and had them improve ?

Sorry about your cat; here are some links that may be helpful to you:

http://www.felineleukemia.org/
http://www.felineleukemia.com/main.html
http://www.vetinfo.com/cfeleuk.html

March 29th 06, 06:38 PM
"Anna via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >I just found out my cat has lukemia.
>>He had not been eating properly for two days so I took him to a vet
>>whare he had x rays and blood tests.
>>He now is on an antibotic and nutritional supplement administered by
>>medicine dropper.
>>He will take a few licks of milk but does not feel like eating
>>Has any one nursed a cat with lukemia and had them improve ?

Talk to your vet TODAY!! There is no cure for feline leukemia, but there are
supportive treatments which may give your cat some more years of happy
healthy life. It sounds like your vet thinks the cat is treatable at this
stage, but also sounds like he needs more intensive care right now. (For
example, cats can be given interferon shots weekly.)

But the cat must start eating again. Cats that are ill often don't feel
like eating. But they're not like dogs or people who can fast for quite a
few days if necessary. A cats metabolism is very different. If a cat
doesn't consume food by mouth for more than 4-5 days they can go in to liver
failure. Your cat is sick enough already that that would be fatal. As I
said, call the vet for advice.

Until he calls back try - very small amount of premium cat food, mix with
smelliest Gerber pureed chicken baby food (no salt/sugar). Feed by holding
in you hand on small spoon. Get him to eat as much as you can. A few
hours later try again. If you can get him to consume 1/4 to 1/2 cups cat
food daily this way, he may make it. (This saved my cats life after she
had liver failure and came off IV feeding. She just didn't feel like
eating.) As an alternative try smelly tuna fish - again hand feed small
amounts - don't drain - they really love the juice (he shouldn't stay on
tuna fish diet all the time, but its okay for a while), Often when my
finicky cats go on a food strike I'll give the tune for a couple of days
until they are eating well again - then they seem willing to go back to
regular food.

-- maryjane

Anna via CatKB.com
March 29th 06, 08:01 PM
>He will take a few licks of milk but does not feel like eating

I don't know what you're feeding him now but you should ask your vet about
Hill's a/d (used for animals that are recovering from disease and losing
weight) and Nutri Cal (a supplement high in calories). You may need to
syringe feed him; here is a link, but your vet can show you how to do it.

http://www.geocities.com/feline_squamous_cell_cancer/Syringe_feeding.html

Do not let him go for days without eating as that leaves him susceptible to
developing hepatic lipidosis (liver disease).

Phil P.
March 29th 06, 08:45 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I just found out my cat has lukemia.
> He had not been eating properly for two days so I took him to a vet
> whare he had x rays and blood tests.
> He now is on an antibotic and nutritional supplement administered by
> medicine dropper.
> He will take a few licks of milk but does not feel like eating
> Has any one nursed a cat with lukemia and had them improve ?
>
> Ed

How old is your cat?

Did your vet say your cat actually has leukemia (e.g., Acute Lymphoblastic
Leukemia- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia) or Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV)?

How did your vet reach this diagnosis? Which tests were performed? Did he
perform the test in his office? Does your cat have any other symptoms?

If your vet said your cat has Feline Leukemia Virus based on a positive
result of an ELISA test he performed in his office, its imperative that you
have
your cat retested with the IFA assay to confirm the result. Many ELISA
positives are false and the symptoms may be caused by a different, and
possibly curable disease.

In many cases when a cat tests ELISA-positive for FeLV, the vet will
erroneously attribute any symptoms the cat may have to FeLV and allow a
possibly curable disease to progress to death.

Its also imperative that your cat eats. Try offering him canned kitten food
and/or heating up his food to body temperature. Heated food is more
aromatic and more palatable and may stimulate his appetite. If he doesn't
eat the kitten food, try offering him a smorgasbord of various foods.
Here's a list of acceptable Fancy Feast and Friskies diets that you can try
if he won't eat his regular food:

Fancy Feast Marinated Chicken Feast
Fancy Feast Marinated Salmon Feast
Fancy Feast Seafood Filets Tuna & Oceanfish in Aspic
Fancy Feast Minced Beef Feast
Fancy Feast Sliced Beef Feast
Fancy Feast Marinated Beef Feast
Fancy Feast Grilled Chicken Feast
Fancy Feast Grilled Tuna Feast
Fancy Feast Sliced Beef & Giblets Feast
Fancy Feast Grilled Turkey Feast
Fancy Feast Sliced Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast

Friskies Fine Cuts With Real Chicken in Gravy
Friskies Fine Cuts With Real Fish With Ocean Whitefish & Tuna
Friskies Fine Cuts With Tuna In Sauce
Friskies Prime Filets With Chicken In Gravy
Friskies Seared Filets With Salmon
Friskies Seared Filets With Turkey & Giblets
Friskies Shredded Chicken & Salmon Dinner in Gravy
Friskies Sliced Gourmet Grill

If he doesn't start eating within the next day, please take him to another
ver for a second opinion.

Best of luck,

Phil

March 30th 06, 05:08 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I just found out my cat has lukemia.
> > He had not been eating properly for two days so I took him to a vet
> > whare he had x rays and blood tests.
> > He now is on an antibotic and nutritional supplement administered by
> > medicine dropper.
> > He will take a few licks of milk but does not feel like eating
> > Has any one nursed a cat with lukemia and had them improve ?
> >
> > Ed
>
> How old is your cat?
>
> Did your vet say your cat actually has leukemia (e.g., Acute Lymphoblastic
> Leukemia- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia) or Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV)?
>
> How did your vet reach this diagnosis? Which tests were performed? Did he
> perform the test in his office? Does your cat have any other symptoms?
>
> If your vet said your cat has Feline Leukemia Virus based on a positive
> result of an ELISA test he performed in his office, its imperative that you
> have
> your cat retested with the IFA assay to confirm the result. Many ELISA
> positives are false and the symptoms may be caused by a different, and
> possibly curable disease.
>
> In many cases when a cat tests ELISA-positive for FeLV, the vet will
> erroneously attribute any symptoms the cat may have to FeLV and allow a
> possibly curable disease to progress to death.
>
> Its also imperative that your cat eats. Try offering him canned kitten food
> and/or heating up his food to body temperature. Heated food is more
> aromatic and more palatable and may stimulate his appetite. If he doesn't
> eat the kitten food, try offering him a smorgasbord of various foods.
> Here's a list of acceptable Fancy Feast and Friskies diets that you can try
> if he won't eat his regular food:
>
> Fancy Feast Marinated Chicken Feast
> Fancy Feast Marinated Salmon Feast
> Fancy Feast Seafood Filets Tuna & Oceanfish in Aspic
> Fancy Feast Minced Beef Feast
> Fancy Feast Sliced Beef Feast
> Fancy Feast Marinated Beef Feast
> Fancy Feast Grilled Chicken Feast
> Fancy Feast Grilled Tuna Feast
> Fancy Feast Sliced Beef & Giblets Feast
> Fancy Feast Grilled Turkey Feast
> Fancy Feast Sliced Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast
>
> Friskies Fine Cuts With Real Chicken in Gravy
> Friskies Fine Cuts With Real Fish With Ocean Whitefish & Tuna
> Friskies Fine Cuts With Tuna In Sauce
> Friskies Prime Filets With Chicken In Gravy
> Friskies Seared Filets With Salmon
> Friskies Seared Filets With Turkey & Giblets
> Friskies Shredded Chicken & Salmon Dinner in Gravy
> Friskies Sliced Gourmet Grill
>
> If he doesn't start eating within the next day, please take him to another
> ver for a second opinion.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Phil

A big thanks to Phil and the other posters for their help.

Ed