PDA

View Full Version : Molting Cat

John Kimmel
April 2nd 06, 06:43 AM
A cat has been making appearances in my yard who is missing a lot of
fur. There's a large patch on his back where too much bare skin is
showing. The skin looks healthy, the cat seems ok. I trapped him, he
isn't feral, doesn't have fleas. Any likely causes of the hair loss?

http://www.spiretech.com/~guynoir/livestock/molt01.JPG
http://www.spiretech.com/~guynoir/livestock/molt02.JPG
--
John Kimmel

GET YER STINKING PAWS OFF ME YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!

Alison
April 2nd 06, 06:32 PM
"John Kimmel" > wrote in message
.. .
> A cat has been making appearances in my yard who is missing a lot of
> fur. There's a large patch on his back where too much bare skin is
> showing. The skin looks healthy, the cat seems ok. I trapped him, he
> isn't feral, doesn't have fleas. Any likely causes of the hair loss?
>
> http://www.spiretech.com/~guynoir/livestock/molt01.JPG
> http://www.spiretech.com/~guynoir/livestock/molt02.JPG
> --
> John Kimmel>>>

Even if he doesn't have fleas on him he could have flea allergy , just one
flea bite can set this off.
Why have you trapped him?
Alison

April 3rd 06, 03:04 AM
If the bare skin looks healthy, it's probably not feline mange
(scabies). It might be ringworm, but that usually appears on the cat's
head. Here's a website on causes of hair loss in cats.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1338&articleid=195

Another possibility is that he got a cut on his back that's healed, but
the hair hasn't grown back yet. Our cat, Phred, scraped his tail a few
months ago, and although the cut healed quickly, it took a long time
for the hair to grow back. Phred's missing hair patch was much larger
than his cut because he licked it so much.
digbklyn