PDA

View Full Version : Is my 2 yr old Cat going to hurt my puppy?

Carolyn Dee
April 3rd 06, 01:46 PM
Help, if anyone has ANY advice here....
If anyone can help I'm really upset about this....we got a new puppy
yesterday, a little black toy female weighing in at 4 lbs - 11 weeks old and
loves to play. My 2 year old neutered cat Max is very bold with her,
nuzzling her under her neck and underbelly. Does he see her as prey? I'm
worried sick he will hurt her!!

Barb
April 3rd 06, 04:59 PM
IMO if Max's tail isn't all fluffed out and he isn't growling or spitting
he's probably pleased as punch with the little puppy.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Carolyn Dee
April 3rd 06, 05:19 PM
Okay....so how does one suggest to the cat that the puppy is "his"????
I did the introduction thing carefully, but she is so happy and affectionate
and rambunctious (all 4 lbs of her!)
....really HOW would he thinks the pup is HIS?

PawsForThought wrote:
>> Help, if anyone has ANY advice here....
>> If anyone can help I'm really upset about this....we got a new puppy
>> yesterday, a little black toy female weighing in at 4 lbs - 11 weeks old and
>> loves to play. My 2 year old neutered cat Max is very bold with her,
>> nuzzling her under her neck and underbelly. Does he see her as prey? I'm
>> worried sick he will hurt her!!
>
>I highly recommend researching into the proper way to introduce the
>puppy to your cat. Remember, in your cat's mind, the puppy is an
>outsider. Try to introduce them in such a way that the cat sees the
>puppy as his. I don't think the cat will hurt him, but they should
>absolutely be supervised when they're together. Please try to give Max
>plenty of love and attention while he gets used to the puppy.

Carolyn Dee
April 3rd 06, 05:30 PM
Ahhhh...what a relief to hear that!
I'm just concerned that he's putting his open mouth around the back of pup's
neck and then reaching down and around to get the front of his neck...?
Also the underbelly...would that be grooming or disembowelling behaviour ?
Worried mom!

Barb wrote:
>IMO if Max's tail isn't all fluffed out and he isn't growling or spitting
>he's probably pleased as punch with the little puppy.
>
>--
>Barb
>Of course I don't look busy,
>I did it right the first time.

April 3rd 06, 07:07 PM
Check out this link on the best way to introduce your cat and puppy:

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/petmeet.html

Stay in the same room with them until your sure their getting along. If the
cat is bothered by the dog, normally the cat will just jump on something or
hide where the puppy can't get to him.

It really sounds like Max just wants to play with the puppy. They can
become good friends if you read and apply the suggestions above.

Now this is my experience with cats and new dogs:

You need to keep an eye on them the first week or so - if Max is cornered by
the puppy or feels threatened he may scratch the puppy's nose. Now this
isn't a big problem, the scratch is painful but usually just a minor cut -
doesn't even bleed - Max is just teaching the puppy some manners.

But if the puppy doesn't stop and leave the cat alone, Max could scratch at
his eyes.
This is one of a cats last lines of defense against an attacking dog, and it
is instinctive.

But if they've been together for several days with no problems, its probably
safe to leave them on their own.

My cats never attacked the dogs. One dog did get his nose scratched once -
but he learned to leave the cats alone if they didn't want to be bothered.
Eventually they would let my toy poodle join in their chase games. One cat
would even sleep on the same chair as the poodle.

By the way - its easier to introduce a puppy or kitten to established
animals than to bring in a full grown animal.

-- maryjane

"Carolyn Dee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Help, if anyone has ANY advice here....
> If anyone can help I'm really upset about this....we got a new puppy
> yesterday, a little black toy female weighing in at 4 lbs - 11 weeks old
> and
> loves to play. My 2 year old neutered cat Max is very bold with her,
> nuzzling her under her neck and underbelly. Does he see her as prey? I'm
> worried sick he will hurt her!!

Carolyn Dee
April 3rd 06, 07:21 PM
Thanks much, I will read on with that website suggestion.
One other thing. Poor little Max (cat)was found by us when he was only a few
days old, almost dead after abandonment by his mother....he's never had
siblings or another other playful pets.
Is there still hope?

wrote:
>Check out this link on the best way to introduce your cat and puppy:
>
>http://www.homevet.com/petcare/petmeet.html
>
>Stay in the same room with them until your sure their getting along. If the
>cat is bothered by the dog, normally the cat will just jump on something or
>hide where the puppy can't get to him.
>
>It really sounds like Max just wants to play with the puppy. They can
>become good friends if you read and apply the suggestions above.
>
>Now this is my experience with cats and new dogs:
>
>You need to keep an eye on them the first week or so - if Max is cornered by
>the puppy or feels threatened he may scratch the puppy's nose. Now this
>isn't a big problem, the scratch is painful but usually just a minor cut -
>doesn't even bleed - Max is just teaching the puppy some manners.
>
>But if the puppy doesn't stop and leave the cat alone, Max could scratch at
>his eyes.
>This is one of a cats last lines of defense against an attacking dog, and it
>is instinctive.
>
>But if they've been together for several days with no problems, its probably
>safe to leave them on their own.
>
>My cats never attacked the dogs. One dog did get his nose scratched once -
>but he learned to leave the cats alone if they didn't want to be bothered.
>Eventually they would let my toy poodle join in their chase games. One cat
>would even sleep on the same chair as the poodle.
>
>By the way - its easier to introduce a puppy or kitten to established
>animals than to bring in a full grown animal.
>
>-- maryjane
>
>> Help, if anyone has ANY advice here....
>> If anyone can help I'm really upset about this....we got a new puppy
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> nuzzling her under her neck and underbelly. Does he see her as prey? I'm
>> worried sick he will hurt her!!

April 3rd 06, 09:46 PM
Of course, just be patient and give them both time to get used to each
other.
Remember, Max has 'ruled the roost' in your house for a while -- so be sure
to give him lots of extra loving now that he's having to adjust to a
sibling.

My dogs and cats were behaving well together in 2-3 weeks (I could leave
them alone together earlier, but they were still pretending the other
animals didn't exist.)
It took a few months for playing together, sharing the chair etc.

Max will 'train' your puppy how to behave around him. Its always easier to
introduce a puppy/kitten to an older pet. But it sounds like Max's really
interested in having a new friend.

--- maryjane

"Carolyn Dee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Thanks much, I will read on with that website suggestion.
> One other thing. Poor little Max (cat)was found by us when he was only a
> few
> days old, almost dead after abandonment by his mother....he's never had
> siblings or another other playful pets.
> Is there still hope?
>

> wrote:
>>Check out this link on the best way to introduce your cat and puppy:
>>
>>http://www.homevet.com/petcare/petmeet.html
>>
>>Stay in the same room with them until your sure their getting along. If
>>the
>>cat is bothered by the dog, normally the cat will just jump on something
>>or
>>hide where the puppy can't get to him.
>>
>>It really sounds like Max just wants to play with the puppy. They can
>>become good friends if you read and apply the suggestions above.
>>
>>Now this is my experience with cats and new dogs:
>>
>>You need to keep an eye on them the first week or so - if Max is cornered
>>by
>>the puppy or feels threatened he may scratch the puppy's nose. Now this
>>isn't a big problem, the scratch is painful but usually just a minor
>>cut -
>>doesn't even bleed - Max is just teaching the puppy some manners.
>>
>>But if the puppy doesn't stop and leave the cat alone, Max could scratch
>>at
>>his eyes.
>>This is one of a cats last lines of defense against an attacking dog, and
>>it
>>is instinctive.
>>
>>But if they've been together for several days with no problems, its
>>probably
>>safe to leave them on their own.
>>
>>My cats never attacked the dogs. One dog did get his nose scratched
>>once -
>>but he learned to leave the cats alone if they didn't want to be bothered.
>>Eventually they would let my toy poodle join in their chase games. One
>>cat
>>would even sleep on the same chair as the poodle.
>>
>>By the way - its easier to introduce a puppy or kitten to established
>>animals than to bring in a full grown animal.
>>
>>-- maryjane
>>
>>> Help, if anyone has ANY advice here....
>>> If anyone can help I'm really upset about this....we got a new puppy
>>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>> nuzzling her under her neck and underbelly. Does he see her as prey?
>>> I'm
>>> worried sick he will hurt her!!

Carolyn Dee via CatKB.com
April 4th 06, 02:46 PM
What a difference a day makes...I'm so proud of my cat Max, I always knew he
was a good boy and a great cat but he's so patient and good with her I'm
amazed. She hasn't tested him too much, her little teeth are very sharp and
when she uses them on him he will let her know he doesn't like it. He has
been bored and I actually got this little dog for him, so it's working out
well it seems, he's figured out now that he can constantly watch her from up
high and she can't get there. Lots of time though he can't resist getting
right in there. She's going non-stop and that could wear a cat out!
Thanks!

wrote:
>Of course, just be patient and give them both time to get used to each
>other.
>Remember, Max has 'ruled the roost' in your house for a while -- so be sure
>to give him lots of extra loving now that he's having to adjust to a
>sibling.
>
>My dogs and cats were behaving well together in 2-3 weeks (I could leave
>them alone together earlier, but they were still pretending the other
>animals didn't exist.)
>It took a few months for playing together, sharing the chair etc.
>
>Max will 'train' your puppy how to behave around him. Its always easier to
>introduce a puppy/kitten to an older pet. But it sounds like Max's really
>interested in having a new friend.
>
>--- maryjane
>
>> Thanks much, I will read on with that website suggestion.
>> One other thing. Poor little Max (cat)was found by us when he was only a
>[quoted text clipped - 55 lines]

Joe Canuck
April 4th 06, 03:01 PM
Carolyn Dee via CatKB.com wrote:
> What a difference a day makes...I'm so proud of my cat Max, I always knew he
> was a good boy and a great cat but he's so patient and good with her I'm
> amazed. She hasn't tested him too much, her little teeth are very sharp and
> when she uses them on him he will let her know he doesn't like it. He has
> been bored and I actually got this little dog for him, so it's working out
> well it seems, he's figured out now that he can constantly watch her from up
> high and she can't get there. Lots of time though he can't resist getting
> right in there. She's going non-stop and that could wear a cat out!
> Thanks!

Re the "going non-stop"... and older cat could lose patience and strike
out when they get annoyed which could happen very quickly.

Be cautious, this isn't over yet.

> wrote:
>> Of course, just be patient and give them both time to get used to each
>> other.
>> Remember, Max has 'ruled the roost' in your house for a while -- so be sure
>> to give him lots of extra loving now that he's having to adjust to a
>> sibling.
>>
>> My dogs and cats were behaving well together in 2-3 weeks (I could leave
>> them alone together earlier, but they were still pretending the other
>> animals didn't exist.)
>> It took a few months for playing together, sharing the chair etc.
>>
>> Max will 'train' your puppy how to behave around him. Its always easier to
>> introduce a puppy/kitten to an older pet. But it sounds like Max's really
>> interested in having a new friend.
>>
>> --- maryjane
>>
>>> Thanks much, I will read on with that website suggestion.
>>> One other thing. Poor little Max (cat)was found by us when he was only a
>> [quoted text clipped - 55 lines]

Carolyn Dee via CatKB.com
April 4th 06, 03:40 PM
Yup...my daughter reports that they are rolling around on the floor now.
The cat has his arms around it and is doing the donkey kick thing...(gently
as usual).
I wonder when he'll lose patience...he's having too much fun for now!

Joe Canuck wrote:
>> What a difference a day makes...I'm so proud of my cat Max, I always knew he
>> was a good boy and a great cat but he's so patient and good with her I'm
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>> right in there. She's going non-stop and that could wear a cat out!
>> Thanks!
>
>Re the "going non-stop"... and older cat could lose patience and strike
>out when they get annoyed which could happen very quickly.
>
>Be cautious, this isn't over yet.
>
>>> Of course, just be patient and give them both time to get used to each
>>> other.
>[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]

xkatx
April 4th 06, 06:02 PM
"Carolyn Dee via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Yup...my daughter reports that they are rolling around on the floor now.
> The cat has his arms around it and is doing the donkey kick
> thing...(gently
> as usual).
> I wonder when he'll lose patience...he's having too much fun for now!

We were in a similar situation when we got a small puppy about a month ago,
and our cat is just over a year and a half old... I find that if the cat
gets annoyed with the dog, she simply goes away. She does play with him and
he plays with her, but when she's had enough, she's still faster and able to
avoid him if she needs or wants.

> Joe Canuck wrote:
>>> What a difference a day makes...I'm so proud of my cat Max, I always
>>> knew he
>>> was a good boy and a great cat but he's so patient and good with her I'm
>>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>> right in there. She's going non-stop and that could wear a cat out!
>>> Thanks!
>>
>>Re the "going non-stop"... and older cat could lose patience and strike
>>out when they get annoyed which could happen very quickly.
>>
>>Be cautious, this isn't over yet.

>>[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]

Charlie Wilkes
April 5th 06, 03:28 AM
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:40:36 GMT, "Carolyn Dee via CatKB.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yup...my daughter reports that they are rolling around on the floor now.
>The cat has his arms around it and is doing the donkey kick thing...(gently
>as usual).
>I wonder when he'll lose patience...he's having too much fun for now!

He won't seriously injure the puppy. He knows its a baby. This
sounds like a situation where the cat is really, really happy to have
another animal in the household. Pamper them both and they will feel
secure and all will be bliss.

Charlie

>Joe Canuck wrote:
>>> What a difference a day makes...I'm so proud of my cat Max, I always knew he
>>> was a good boy and a great cat but he's so patient and good with her I'm
>>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>> right in there. She's going non-stop and that could wear a cat out!
>>> Thanks!
>>
>>Re the "going non-stop"... and older cat could lose patience and strike
>>out when they get annoyed which could happen very quickly.
>>
>>Be cautious, this isn't over yet.

>>[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]

Carolyn Dee via CatKB.com
April 5th 06, 01:32 PM
Well now we've moved to another stage it seems....they really aren't
interacting much from what I've seen in the evenings.
The puppy goes nuts trying to play for a minute here and there. The cat
prefers to watch from afar. I'm wondering if I'm missing all the fun during
the daytime when I have to be at work (family members who are home in
daytime, after working at night....are lucky to see a lot more activity!)....
in the evenings after 5pm puppy mostly sleeps it seems, oh well lots of time
to cuddle the cat.... I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>>Yup...my daughter reports that they are rolling around on the floor now.
>>The cat has his arms around it and is doing the donkey kick thing...(gently
>>as usual).
>>I wonder when he'll lose patience...he's having too much fun for now!
>
>He won't seriously injure the puppy. He knows its a baby. This
>sounds like a situation where the cat is really, really happy to have
>another animal in the household. Pamper them both and they will feel
>secure and all will be bliss.
>
>Charlie

>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Charlie Wilkes
April 5th 06, 05:17 PM
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:32:19 GMT, "Carolyn Dee via CatKB.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well now we've moved to another stage it seems....they really aren't
>interacting much from what I've seen in the evenings.
>The puppy goes nuts trying to play for a minute here and there. The cat
>prefers to watch from afar. I'm wondering if I'm missing all the fun during

Sure. I have two "guest dogs" and a resident cat. My cat is somewhat
unusual in that he likes dogs, even strange dogs, and takes an
interest in them. But, he doesn't make a fuss over them most of the
time. The interaction is more subtle than the interaction between two
dogs.

Charlie

>the daytime when I have to be at work (family members who are home in
>daytime, after working at night....are lucky to see a lot more activity!)....
>in the evenings after 5pm puppy mostly sleeps it seems, oh well lots of time
>to cuddle the cat.... I'm looking forward to the weekend.
>
>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>>>Yup...my daughter reports that they are rolling around on the floor now.
>>>The cat has his arms around it and is doing the donkey kick thing...(gently
>>>as usual).
>>>I wonder when he'll lose patience...he's having too much fun for now!
>>
>>He won't seriously injure the puppy. He knows its a baby. This
>>sounds like a situation where the cat is really, really happy to have
>>another animal in the household. Pamper them both and they will feel
>>secure and all will be bliss.
>>
>>Charlie

>>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Carolyn Dee via CatKB.com
April 5th 06, 06:00 PM
Yes I know what you mean....when kitty was 6 months old he was very
interested in all the dogs, going right up to their noses to say hello. Then
I took him over to the tiny kitties cage....well he hissed at them and there
was no way I could convince him to change his mind! Cats are funny.