PDA

View Full Version : my new kitty

Elizabeth Blake
April 3rd 06, 08:47 PM
My 16 year old cat Tiger diede last month. My 6 year old guy, Otto, has
been very subdued since then. I knew I'd get him a friend eventually and
last week I went to a shelter near work and met some cats and talked to the
staff. One cat in particular I thought about all week/weekend and today I
went back to see him again. This time I was allowed to take him into a room
to play and he was absolutely sweet & fabulous. I signed the papers, paid
his fee and now he's mine! We're still at work, where Stinky & Harriet
aren't too happy about the newcomer even though we're now locked in my
office. He'll be confined to my bedroom for awhile once we get home.

Here's his page from Petfinder. I'm pretty sure I'll be changing his name
as soon as I know what it should be:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5967384

--
Liz

Sandra
April 3rd 06, 09:15 PM
I think he is lovely, congrats on giving him a loving home.

sandra

Buddy
April 3rd 06, 09:24 PM
Aww... He looks so sweet! Good for you! He will be the so
appreciative.

April 3rd 06, 09:39 PM
Oh, what a sweety. I love ginger tabbies. Congrats on the new baby!!!

-- maryjane
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> My 16 year old cat Tiger diede last month. My 6 year old guy, Otto, has
> been very subdued since then. I knew I'd get him a friend eventually and
> last week I went to a shelter near work and met some cats and talked to
> the
> staff. One cat in particular I thought about all week/weekend and today I
> went back to see him again. This time I was allowed to take him into a
> room
> to play and he was absolutely sweet & fabulous. I signed the papers, paid
> his fee and now he's mine! We're still at work, where Stinky & Harriet
> aren't too happy about the newcomer even though we're now locked in my
> office. He'll be confined to my bedroom for awhile once we get home.
>
> Here's his page from Petfinder. I'm pretty sure I'll be changing his name
> as soon as I know what it should be:
>
> http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5967384
>
> --
> Liz

blkcatgal
April 4th 06, 12:07 AM
Congratulations on your new addition! I lost my own 16 year old cat the end
of January. I was hesitant about getting another cat too quickly but I knew
my 2 1/2 year old really needed a buddy. So 3 weeks ago I adopted a 7 month
old kitten....from petfinder.com like you. Your new boy is very handsome.

Sue
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> My 16 year old cat Tiger diede last month. My 6 year old guy, Otto, has
> been very subdued since then. I knew I'd get him a friend eventually and
> last week I went to a shelter near work and met some cats and talked to
> the
> staff. One cat in particular I thought about all week/weekend and today I
> went back to see him again. This time I was allowed to take him into a
> room
> to play and he was absolutely sweet & fabulous. I signed the papers, paid
> his fee and now he's mine! We're still at work, where Stinky & Harriet
> aren't too happy about the newcomer even though we're now locked in my
> office. He'll be confined to my bedroom for awhile once we get home.
>
> Here's his page from Petfinder. I'm pretty sure I'll be changing his name
> as soon as I know what it should be:
>
> http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5967384
>
> --
> Liz

Elizabeth Blake
April 4th 06, 03:11 AM
"D." > wrote in message
k.net...

> Bless you for getting an adult! You'll find he's pretty active. At
> least, mine was at that age. Still is. Almost as bad as a kitten, but
> heavier. :)

I knew that I wanted a young adult cat. When I was at the shelter today I
heard a worker telling a man that they would only be accepting kittens for
awhile now, I guess since they move out quicker than the adults. The cats
they had ranged in age from 8 months to about 8 years. Most were in the 1-3
range.

He is a very playful boy! So is Otto, and he'll be 7 years old this summer.
Otto did some hissing when he saw me bring the new guy in. I have the new
kitty in my bedroom and Otto is now off sleeping. New guy was in my office
all afternoon and had a great time climbing on everything and playing with
his mouse. I posted a couple of pictures from hom on
alt.binaries.pictures.animals.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
April 4th 06, 03:15 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Congratulations on your new addition! I lost my own 16 year old cat the
> end of January. I was hesitant about getting another cat too quickly but I
> knew my 2 1/2 year old really needed a buddy. So 3 weeks ago I adopted a
> 7 month old kitten....from petfinder.com like you. Your new boy is very
> handsome.
>
> Sue

Congrats on your new kitty, too! My Otto is a little upset about the
newcomer (who is locked in the bedroom for now) but I know he'll come
around. Last year I brought home one of the cats from work a lot on the
weekends/holidays (to medicate/monitor her) and Otto got used to her
quickly. Harriet hated Otto so they never became buddies, but they'd mostly
ignore each other and a few times I caught them both sleeping on the bed,
with a pile of blankets between them. I'm hoping that Otto will adapt to
his new brother quickly because I know my new guy would love to play with
him. He didn't hiss or growl at the cats at work even when they were
hissing and growling at him.

--
Liz

blkcatgal
April 4th 06, 04:31 AM
Give it some time and introduce them slowly. It's been 3 weeks for me and
my resident cat, Wally, still gets his nose out of joint a little bit, but
he is adjusting okay to the new cat. They really are fun to watch together.

S.
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> Congratulations on your new addition! I lost my own 16 year old cat the
>> end of January. I was hesitant about getting another cat too quickly but
>> I knew my 2 1/2 year old really needed a buddy. So 3 weeks ago I adopted
>> a 7 month old kitten....from petfinder.com like you. Your new boy is
>> very handsome.
>>
>> Sue
>
> Congrats on your new kitty, too! My Otto is a little upset about the
> newcomer (who is locked in the bedroom for now) but I know he'll come
> around. Last year I brought home one of the cats from work a lot on the
> weekends/holidays (to medicate/monitor her) and Otto got used to her
> quickly. Harriet hated Otto so they never became buddies, but they'd
> mostly ignore each other and a few times I caught them both sleeping on
> the bed, with a pile of blankets between them. I'm hoping that Otto will
> adapt to his new brother quickly because I know my new guy would love to
> play with him. He didn't hiss or growl at the cats at work even when they
> were hissing and growling at him.
>
> --
> Liz

Phil P.
April 4th 06, 01:02 PM
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> My 16 year old cat Tiger diede last month. My 6 year old guy, Otto, has
> been very subdued since then. I knew I'd get him a friend eventually and
> last week I went to a shelter near work and met some cats and talked to
the
> staff. One cat in particular I thought about all week/weekend and today I
> went back to see him again. This time I was allowed to take him into a
room
> to play and he was absolutely sweet & fabulous. I signed the papers, paid
> his fee and now he's mine! We're still at work, where Stinky & Harriet
> aren't too happy about the newcomer even though we're now locked in my
> office. He'll be confined to my bedroom for awhile once we get home.
>
> Here's his page from Petfinder. I'm pretty sure I'll be changing his name
> as soon as I know what it should be:
>
> http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5967384

Congratulations, Liz.

Almost every orange male tabby I've ever know was a mush.. and big! I think
your cats will get along great.

Here's my big orange fella:

http://maxshouse.com/album/neo-spread.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Neo-Close-up.jpg

Best of luck to you both,

Phil

Elizabeth Blake
April 4th 06, 01:39 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Give it some time and introduce them slowly. It's been 3 weeks for me and
> my resident cat, Wally, still gets his nose out of joint a little bit, but
> he is adjusting okay to the new cat. They really are fun to watch
> together.
>
> S.

Otto pretty much completely forgets about him when the bedroom door is shut.
He was the same way for the most part when I'd have Harriet visiting,
although sometimes he'd camp outside the door for a bit. Last night I put
Otto in the bedroom for awhile so the new guy could roam around. Once Otto
decided he had enough confinement and started rattling the doorknob I
switched them back.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
April 4th 06, 01:48 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Congratulations, Liz.
>
> Almost every orange male tabby I've ever know was a mush.. and big! I
> think
> your cats will get along great.
>
> Here's my big orange fella:
>

> http://maxshouse.com/album/neo-spread.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Neo-Close-up.jpg
>

> Best of luck to you both,
>
> Phil

Wow, he is big! I like the white stripe all the way up his face. My new
guy is 1.5 years old and he's tiny. He's a total sweetheart, though. He
was so good last night, cuddled a lot didn't make a sound. This morning
when I was awake enough I called him and he came running over to throw
himself on me. He was getting very excited and nipped my cheek a couple of
time - not hard at all. I think he was just really happy that I was awake
and petting him. He also licked my face a few times.

He was sent home on Flagyl, because he had (has) diarrhea. I hope that
clears up soon - he's got another 2 days on the medication. They gave me a
little stool sample collector thing but when he went last night (mush) he
buried it before I even knew he went.

--
Liz

April 4th 06, 11:16 PM