PDA

View Full Version : Cat heaving often


D. Kirkpatrick
April 5th 06, 03:11 AM
I have a 5 year old B & W tabby that has been having problems with
throwing up several times a week. It's as if it is bulimic. She is a
house cat and never goes outside. She was spayed at 1 year old or
thereabouts with no problems. Otherwise she exhibits good health.

It is not loosing any weight by any means and input/output appears to
be OK.

We have one self-filling feeding station for 3 cats, a mother and two
siblings. To date this has not been an issue. They all eat when
hungry so there is no issue with sharing or so it seems.

This one cat eats the dry kibble, possibly in excess, and a short time
later hacks up a long trail of moist and formed food. It appears as
if its the contents of the esophagus in a long trail about th elength
of the middle finger, and as if its not getting passed the stomach
sphincter into the stomach.

Oddly, I sometimes see this happen with one of the other cats but not
with the same frequency as this one. There is usually plenty of water
available. We've been using the same brand of kibble for many years
with no problems.

As noted this one cat has us worried, but at the same time she is not
exhibiting any other problems. Weigh is OK, in fact a little on the
heavy side. She poops and urinates fine. No lethargy or other
obvious symptoms.

We're on a fixed income so a vet is a luxury. I'm hoping there may be
other answers to be considered.

John Doe
April 5th 06, 03:25 AM
"D. Kirkpatrick" > wrote:

>
> I have a 5 year old B & W tabby that has been having problems with
> throwing up several times a week. It's as if it is bulimic. She
> is a house cat and never goes outside. She was spayed at 1 year
> old or thereabouts with no problems. Otherwise she exhibits good
> health.

I am getting the impression that anxiety can cause excess vomiting
(the solution would be changing their living environment). But there
are other probably better known possible reasons, maybe others will
tell. Good luck.

Morgen
April 5th 06, 04:08 AM
I would start by using a hairball formula. After you have the cat on
the hairball stuff and the cat seems to be keeping food down, add a few
drops of "calming" homeopathic drops to the water bowl. Use VERY
sparingly. You can get it at most Pet Plus and Pet Smart stores.

If the cat doesn't improve, you will have to go to the vet, even if it
is a luxury. Your cat's life may depend on it. There could be an
impaction or other problem that is easily corrected.

Morgen

Gail
April 5th 06, 04:17 AM
Try switching her to a high quality canned cat food. Sometimes dry food
causes vomiting. If this does not work, take her to the vet.
Gail
"D. Kirkpatrick" > wrote in message
...
>I have a 5 year old B & W tabby that has been having problems with
> throwing up several times a week. It's as if it is bulimic. She is a
> house cat and never goes outside. She was spayed at 1 year old or
> thereabouts with no problems. Otherwise she exhibits good health.
>
> It is not loosing any weight by any means and input/output appears to
> be OK.
>
> We have one self-filling feeding station for 3 cats, a mother and two
> siblings. To date this has not been an issue. They all eat when
> hungry so there is no issue with sharing or so it seems.
>
> This one cat eats the dry kibble, possibly in excess, and a short time
> later hacks up a long trail of moist and formed food. It appears as
> if its the contents of the esophagus in a long trail about th elength
> of the middle finger, and as if its not getting passed the stomach
> sphincter into the stomach.
>
> Oddly, I sometimes see this happen with one of the other cats but not
> with the same frequency as this one. There is usually plenty of water
> available. We've been using the same brand of kibble for many years
> with no problems.
>
> As noted this one cat has us worried, but at the same time she is not
> exhibiting any other problems. Weigh is OK, in fact a little on the
> heavy side. She poops and urinates fine. No lethargy or other
> obvious symptoms.
>
> We're on a fixed income so a vet is a luxury. I'm hoping there may be
> other answers to be considered.

April 5th 06, 04:20 AM
Yep - hairballs are the most common cause of vomiting. (If the cat is well
otherwise.) Try the hairball remedy food. There is also something called
petromelt which helps with swallowed hair - its like flavored edible
petroleum jelly - lubricates the cats digestive system so they can pass
(umm...poop) the hairballs.

Anxiety can also produce vomiting. Cats are weird - they can vomit on
demand (don't have to stick fingers down their throats).

Try letting your cat eat separately. Many cats don't like sharing the same
bowl - they get very stressed about who's getting the most, or getting
there's first.

If the hairball remedy doesn't work, or separate feeding doesn't help you
really need your vets advice.

-- maryjane

PS. Both my cats have hairballs!!! Bleuuuch!!!


"Morgen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I would start by using a hairball formula. After you have the cat on
> the hairball stuff and the cat seems to be keeping food down, add a few
> drops of "calming" homeopathic drops to the water bowl. Use VERY
> sparingly. You can get it at most Pet Plus and Pet Smart stores.
>
> If the cat doesn't improve, you will have to go to the vet, even if it
> is a luxury. Your cat's life may depend on it. There could be an
> impaction or other problem that is easily corrected.
>
> Morgen
>

Judy
April 5th 06, 05:03 AM
"D. Kirkpatrick" > wrote in message
...
>I have a 5 year old B & W tabby that has been having problems with
> throwing up several times a week. It's as if it is bulimic. She is a
> house cat and never goes outside. She was spayed at 1 year old or
> thereabouts with no problems. Otherwise she exhibits good health.
>
> It is not loosing any weight by any means and input/output appears to
> be OK.
>
> We have one self-filling feeding station for 3 cats, a mother and two
> siblings. To date this has not been an issue. They all eat when
> hungry so there is no issue with sharing or so it seems.
>
> This one cat eats the dry kibble, possibly in excess, and a short time
> later hacks up a long trail of moist and formed food. It appears as
> if its the contents of the esophagus in a long trail about th elength
> of the middle finger, and as if its not getting passed the stomach
> sphincter into the stomach.
>
> Oddly, I sometimes see this happen with one of the other cats but not
> with the same frequency as this one. There is usually plenty of water
> available. We've been using the same brand of kibble for many years
> with no problems.
>
> As noted this one cat has us worried, but at the same time she is not
> exhibiting any other problems. Weigh is OK, in fact a little on the
> heavy side. She poops and urinates fine. No lethargy or other
> obvious symptoms.
>
> We're on a fixed income so a vet is a luxury. I'm hoping there may be
> other answers to be considered.

I've always been curious to know why people take on responsibilities in life
when they can't afford to do so.

Joe Canuck
April 5th 06, 06:11 AM
D. Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I have a 5 year old B & W tabby that has been having problems with
> throwing up several times a week. It's as if it is bulimic. She is a
> house cat and never goes outside. She was spayed at 1 year old or
> thereabouts with no problems. Otherwise she exhibits good health.
>
> It is not loosing any weight by any means and input/output appears to
> be OK.
>
> We have one self-filling feeding station for 3 cats, a mother and two
> siblings. To date this has not been an issue. They all eat when
> hungry so there is no issue with sharing or so it seems.
>
> This one cat eats the dry kibble, possibly in excess, and a short time
> later hacks up a long trail of moist and formed food. It appears as
> if its the contents of the esophagus in a long trail about th elength
> of the middle finger, and as if its not getting passed the stomach
> sphincter into the stomach.
>
> Oddly, I sometimes see this happen with one of the other cats but not
> with the same frequency as this one. There is usually plenty of water
> available. We've been using the same brand of kibble for many years
> with no problems.
>
> As noted this one cat has us worried, but at the same time she is not
> exhibiting any other problems. Weigh is OK, in fact a little on the
> heavy side. She poops and urinates fine. No lethargy or other
> obvious symptoms.
>
> We're on a fixed income so a vet is a luxury. I'm hoping there may be
> other answers to be considered.

Medical help isn't a luxury, it is a necessity.

Buddy
April 5th 06, 11:02 AM
It could be hairballs, eating too fast, hard food, stress, everything.
Some cats just barf. I had a cat who ate too fast and vomited several
times a week - even with canned food. It was simply because she ate
too fast.

D. Kirkpatrick
April 6th 06, 03:21 AM
In article >,
"Judy" > wrote:

> I've always been curious to know why people take on responsibilities in life
> when they can't afford to do so.



Fair question.

For much of my life I was allergic to cats and dogs but we discovered
when these cats showed up that I was not effected, possibly due to new
medications I was taking. This allowed me to let my children have a
pet(s) after many years of sorrowful refusals.

The other option would have been the animal control place, which after
10 days does the deed. The cat rescue lady we saw was only able to
take 2. Of the 2 remaining from the litter one was to stay and one
promised to a neighbor who later reneged on taking one in.

We had them on canned foods of a reasonable quality but that didn't
seem to work well with them. In fact they seemed to hack that up more
than anything. The kibble was always there as a spare or back up and
available on demand from an automated dispenser.

I opted to ask questions here as a stop-gap to see what remedies might
be considered from other owners.

We can well afford cat food for the 3 of them but we depended on
various low-income programs for their shots and to have them spayed.

A helpful response as opposed to personal criticism would be most
welcome.

D. Kirkpatrick
April 6th 06, 03:23 AM
In article . com>,
"Buddy" > wrote:

> It could be hairballs, eating too fast, hard food, stress, everything.
> Some cats just barf. I had a cat who ate too fast and vomited several
> times a week - even with canned food. It was simply because she ate
> too fast.



This may fit the bill. When this one does eat it seems to be fast
with everything coming back up.

She does not do this often, only once and a while. At other times she
eats normally and there are no problems.

As noted intake and output are OK and there is no other evidence of
illness. She is quite active with her sibling and they romp and play
quite well with each other. They are also very affactionate to their
respective 'owner' and others in the house.

---

My thanks to those who have offered suggestions thus far.

John Doe
April 6th 06, 08:59 AM
"D. Kirkpatrick" > wrote:

>
> As noted intake and output are OK and there is no other evidence
> of illness. She is quite active with her sibling and they romp
> and play quite well with each other. They are also very
> affactionate to their respective 'owner' and others in the house.

That's so good. Here, they're both affectionate, but we have reached
a point where the two need to be kept separated because of the
nervous strain on my aging female. That's not what I had in mind
when I took in the male two years ago, but oh well.

Good luck.

---MIKE---
April 6th 06, 12:45 PM
I feed my two mainly good quality canned food. I split a 5.5 oz can
between them twice a day but I have learned to not put out the 1/2 can
each all at once. Tiger would wolf it down and then possibly throw it
back up. I put it out in three small segments. This tends to interrupt
my meal but it works for them.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

lastcatstanding
April 6th 06, 02:14 PM
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:59:33 GMT, John Doe >
wrote:

Internet dip**** and wannabe.

Path:
be52.ams!hwmnpeer02.ams!hw-filter.ams!hwmnpeer01.ams!hwmnpeer01.lga!hwmedia!n ews.highwinds-media.com!news.glorb.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews .com!nntp.giganews.com!newscon06.news.prodigy.com! prodigy.net!newsmst01b.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.co m!postmaster.news.prodigy.com!newssvr13.news.prodi gy.com.POSTED!67420556!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Re: Cat heaving often
From: John Doe >
References: >
>
. com>
>
User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25
Lines: 14
Message-ID: >
NNTP-Posting-Host: 69.153.51.108
X-Complaints-To:
X-Trace: newssvr13.news.prodigy.com 1144310373 ST000 69.153.51.108
(Thu, 06 Apr 2006 03:59:33 EDT)
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 03:59:33 EDT
Organization: SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com
X-UserInfo1:
[email protected]@[email protected]_VTB\[email protected]@^PGDTFOG[]FH_[JTXDX_KI\VB]JBVMS^YT_G[CZVWAOS\DHFWEH]@KGXYHB\_CMDSFABP^J[AHHRKARLE_JDBLJ\XA[JRMEI]MGJSPB\Y]^KG\@S^@VQKI_Q[[email protected]@_ACSARASDEFLBJ]S\GFNTUAVBL
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:59:33 GMT
Xref: Hurricane-Charley rec.pets.cats.health+behav:118743
X-Received-Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 01:00:03 MST (be52.ams)

April 6th 06, 04:45 PM
Give the cat some vaselene.. (sp?)
a teaspoon or so every couple of weeks.
It helps lube the hairball so it will pass :)

put it on their nose and they lick it up :D

D. Kirkpatrick
April 6th 06, 07:09 PM
In article >,
John Doe > wrote:

> That's so good. Here, they're both affectionate, but we have reached
> a point where the two need to be kept separated because of the
> nervous strain on my aging female. That's not what I had in mind
> when I took in the male two years ago, but oh well.



Well, we're already into separate litter boxes. Older cat has her's
and the 2 sibs use/share one.

Might be time for separate feeding stations too.

D. Kirkpatrick
April 6th 06, 07:11 PM
In article om>,
wrote:

> Give the cat some vaselene.. (sp?)
> a teaspoon or so every couple of weeks.
> It helps lube the hairball so it will pass :)
>
> put it on their nose and they lick it up :D



Heard of that too. Will look into that one as well.

Much thanks.

John Doe
April 7th 06, 07:55 AM
A troll posting XNoArchive much of the time. Apparently the same
that flooded this group.

See also:

Malicious hacker script kiddie
USENET server abuse flood
Denial of Service DOS
UTBill

..
.... <bobandcaraol tedandalice.com>
[likely related, should be "bobandcarole"]

Lamey - The cable guy
.... <Getrdone redneck.com>

Jim Dandy
Lamey
Lamey - The Cable Guy
Lamey B Jovi
Lamey The Reformed Troll
lastbandstanding
lastcatstanding
tedandalice
.... <teandson hotmail.com>


lastcatstanding <teandson hotmail.com> wrote:

>
> Path: newssvr27.news.prodigy.net!newsdbm04.news.prodigy. com!newsdst02.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon 02.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!news.glorb.com!hwm npeer01.lga!hwmnpeer01.ams!hwmedia!news.highwinds-media.com!hw-filter.ams!newsfe23.ams.POSTED!12e9a6c2!not-for-mail
> From: lastcatstanding <teandson hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: Cat heaving often
> Organization: UTB
> Reply-To: The same.com
> Message-ID: <iv4a321gao35d4q2iegkb345fnldgjpbss fe06.highwinds-media.phx>
> References: <sunclad-96FA44.22112204042006 news.verizon.net> <DNidncaBKZELzK7ZnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d magma.ca> <1144231375.252661.223540 u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com> <sunclad-41578E.22240205042006 news.verizon.net> <FT3Zf.62452$H71.16914 newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>
> X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 3.1/32.783
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Lines: 28
> X-Complaints-To: http://support.highwinds-media.com
> NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 06:15:40 MST
> Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:14:01 -0600
> Xref: prodigy.net rec.pets.cats.health+behav:428976
>
> On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:59:33 GMT, John Doe <jdoe usenet.love.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> Internet dip**** and wannabe.
>

lastcatstanding
April 7th 06, 08:01 AM
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 06:55:33 GMT, John Doe >
wrote:

>A troll posting XNoArchive much of the time. Apparently the same
>that flooded this group.

Could you explain a couple things? Thanks.
>
>See also:
>
>Malicious hacker script kiddie
>USENET server abuse flood
>Denial of Service DOS
>UTBill

What is a UTBill?
>
>.
>... <bobandcaraol tedandalice.com>
>[likely related, should be "bobandcarole"]
>
>Lamey - The cable guy
>... <Getrdone redneck.com>

Website don't exist.
>
>Jim Dandy
>Lamey
>Lamey - The Cable Guy
>Lamey B Jovi
>Lamey The Reformed Troll
>lastbandstanding
>lastcatstanding
>tedandalice
>... <teandson hotmail.com>

OH those guys.
>
>
>lastcatstanding <teandson hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> Path: newssvr27.news.prodigy.net!newsdbm04.news.prodigy. com!newsdst02.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon 02.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!news.glorb.com!hwm npeer01.lga!hwmnpeer01.ams!hwmedia!news.highwinds-media.com!hw-filter.ams!newsfe23.ams.POSTED!12e9a6c2!not-for-mail
>> From: lastcatstanding <teandson hotmail.com>
>> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>> Subject: Re: Cat heaving often
>> Organization: UTB
>> Reply-To: The same.com
>> Message-ID: <iv4a321gao35d4q2iegkb345fnldgjpbss fe06.highwinds-media.phx>
>> References: <sunclad-96FA44.22112204042006 news.verizon.net> <DNidncaBKZELzK7ZnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d magma.ca> <1144231375.252661.223540 u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com> <sunclad-41578E.22240205042006 news.verizon.net> <FT3Zf.62452$H71.16914 newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>
>> X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 3.1/32.783
>> MIME-Version: 1.0
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>> Lines: 28
>> X-Complaints-To: http://support.highwinds-media.com
>> NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 06:15:40 MST
>> Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:14:01 -0600
>> Xref: prodigy.net rec.pets.cats.health+behav:428976
>>
>> On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:59:33 GMT, John Doe <jdoe usenet.love.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Internet dip**** and wannabe.
>>
>
>
Huh?