PDA

View Full Version : Re: What were pet dogs and cats fed before commercial food?

Matthew AKA NMR
April 6th 06, 06:48 AM
"Ajanta" > wrote in message
> Are there any records on what people fed their pet dogs and cats before
> modern commercial food became available? Were dogs and cats fed
> different foods as we now insist they must be?

I remember when I was really young asking my grandfather what cats ate when
he was young his answer what ever varmint was in the barn. He remember
grand ma giving the cats the left overs from the meal of the day.that they
could no use. Now we are talking about when meals were still hand prepared
you went out caught the chicken, killed the chicken and cleaned it before
you cooked it. This is the time when a trip to a country store was a
monthly maybe bi yearly thing. We were country folk growing up

Barb
April 6th 06, 04:17 PM
Interesting answers. I wonder what the average life spans were of cats
before commercial pet food.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Netmask
April 7th 06, 03:59 AM
"Barb" > wrote in message
erio.net...
> Interesting answers. I wonder what the average life spans were of cats
> before commercial pet food.
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

Well on the day I was born (at home) so were a litter of kittens and my dog!
So I grew up with 6 cats and a dog as birthday friends. They all lived into
their early 20's and only had non commercial food.