PDA

View Full Version : Fighting cats, horribly scared kitten

ZailaGrace
April 6th 06, 08:29 PM
I have 7 month old neutered male tabby, he's been spoiled ever since we got
him being treated like a child. We recently got a 12 week male un-neutered
kitten from a man who had been giving them away for free, who immediately ran
under our futon in the living room and has been hiding there for 2 days
without eating/drinking or using his litter box, he's simply terrified. My
older cat was curious about him, but seems scared...running and hissing when
he came to close. The kitten simply cowers in the corner under the couch
shivering. Now, I've heard to take the slow approach when intorducing new
cats, keeping them in seperate rooms but, I live in a smaller 1 bedroom
apartment and have a newborn so I can't allow the cats in my room, the two
cats can't realy help but be near each other. So what can i do to make the
situation more livable for everyone? Sonny the older cat doesn't seem to want
to have much to do with the little guy now. He just...doesn't seem to like
him. HELP! I couldn't bare getting rid of the little one.

Gail
April 6th 06, 08:46 PM
You need to separate the two and place the kitten in a room by himself with
food, water, litter, and a bed. Gradually you can expose them to each other.
This should be done slowly and methodically. Even if you place the kitten in
the bathroom this should be done.
Gail
"ZailaGrace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have 7 month old neutered male tabby, he's been spoiled ever since we got
> him being treated like a child. We recently got a 12 week male un-neutered
> kitten from a man who had been giving them away for free, who immediately
> ran
> under our futon in the living room and has been hiding there for 2 days
> without eating/drinking or using his litter box, he's simply terrified. My
> older cat was curious about him, but seems scared...running and hissing
> when
> he came to close. The kitten simply cowers in the corner under the couch
> shivering. Now, I've heard to take the slow approach when intorducing new
> cats, keeping them in seperate rooms but, I live in a smaller 1 bedroom
> apartment and have a newborn so I can't allow the cats in my room, the two
> cats can't realy help but be near each other. So what can i do to make the
> situation more livable for everyone? Sonny the older cat doesn't seem to
> want
> to have much to do with the little guy now. He just...doesn't seem to like
> him. HELP! I couldn't bare getting rid of the little one.

Gail
April 6th 06, 08:49 PM
Unless you provide the kitten with a safe place of his own, he will remain
scared to death. If you cannot segregate him even in a bathroom, you can try
buying a very large dog crate and keep him in there with food, water,
litter, and a soft bed.
Gail
"ZailaGrace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have 7 month old neutered male tabby, he's been spoiled ever since we got
> him being treated like a child. We recently got a 12 week male un-neutered
> kitten from a man who had been giving them away for free, who immediately
> ran
> under our futon in the living room and has been hiding there for 2 days
> without eating/drinking or using his litter box, he's simply terrified. My
> older cat was curious about him, but seems scared...running and hissing
> when
> he came to close. The kitten simply cowers in the corner under the couch
> shivering. Now, I've heard to take the slow approach when intorducing new
> cats, keeping them in seperate rooms but, I live in a smaller 1 bedroom
> apartment and have a newborn so I can't allow the cats in my room, the two
> cats can't realy help but be near each other. So what can i do to make the
> situation more livable for everyone? Sonny the older cat doesn't seem to
> want
> to have much to do with the little guy now. He just...doesn't seem to like
> him. HELP! I couldn't bare getting rid of the little one.

John Doe
April 6th 06, 11:26 PM
"ZailaGrace" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have 7 month old neutered male tabby, he's been spoiled ever
> since we got him being treated like a child. We recently got a 12
> week male un-neutered kitten from a man who had been giving them
> away for free, who immediately ran under our futon in the living
> room and has been hiding there for 2 days without eating/drinking
> or using his litter box, he's simply terrified. My older cat was
> curious about him, but seems scared...running and hissing when he
> came to close. The kitten simply cowers in the corner under the
> couch shivering. Now, I've heard to take the slow approach when
> intorducing new cats, keeping them in seperate rooms but, I live
> in a smaller 1 bedroom apartment and have a newborn so I can't
> allow the cats in my room, the two cats can't realy help but be
> near each other. So what can i do to make the situation more
> livable for everyone? Sonny the older cat doesn't seem to want to
> have much to do with the little guy now. He just...doesn't seem to
> like him. HELP! I couldn't bare getting rid of the little one.

Do you have a bathroom? If the cat is terrified, it's not going to
mind being cooped up.

Good luck.

John Doe
April 6th 06, 11:29 PM
By the way. If they fight, clip the aggressor's claws. At the same
time, keep in mind that the aggressor might be stressed and acting
defensively.

ZailaGrace
April 7th 06, 12:40 AM
John Doe wrote:
>> I have 7 month old neutered male tabby, he's been spoiled ever
>> since we got him being treated like a child. We recently got a 12
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>> have much to do with the little guy now. He just...doesn't seem to
>> like him. HELP! I couldn't bare getting rid of the little one.
>
>Do you have a bathroom? If the cat is terrified, it's not going to
>mind being cooped up.
>
>Good luck.

Well, we tried having him in the bedroom, with all the supplies, he meowed
and scratched at the door the whole time, this lastest a good hour and a half.
Same in the bathroom. He seemed fine when he was let out, but hissed at my
other cat. He didn't run. It was the older one who seemed scared. Either way,
nothing seems to be working. The only place the kitten seems to feel
comfortable is under the couch. He actually seems, relaxed under there.

Thanks for the tips.

April 7th 06, 04:50 AM
Okay. Relax. These are two young cats. The new one is probably a little
wild and he's freaking out the resident. I know when it's going on that
it feels like it will never end and your house will never be peaceful
again and you have to DO something, but it really is all about time.
The new one sounds like he is doubly-afflicted - has to adjust not only
to the other cat, but it sounds like he is also frightened of you and
of being confined. That's alot to deal with all at once :>

Since you're restricted on space, you have some challenges. Try to work
with the space the new cat has chosen to hide: the futon. That's his
safe space. Let him be there - and try to keep the resident out of the
area (can you put down some pillows or move some furniture temporarily
to sort of "fort" the area so it's hard for the resident to access?
Then sit in the room or on the futon and talk gently to the new cat.
Sing songs, tell him about your day, read aloud, do anything so he has
the experience of hearing you and watching you not threaten him. Try
taking the resident into the other room and loving him up so new cat
hears old cat purring and sounding happy. Give both cats lots of treats
to help them understand this special time of moving in together has
fringe benefits.

At some point, new cat will try to move from under the futon, if only
to use the litterbox. If you can, try temporarily shoving some food
under the futon and putting a litterbox somewhere fairly close to the
futon. It won't be permanent. This way new kitten doesn't have to take
his life in his hands everytime he has a bodily need. You can also try
to regularly take new cat into the bedroom with you and shut the door
for a while to play with him so new cat can eat and pee. If you can do
this at the same time for a while, the pattern will be reassuring.

The initial meetings (which it seems have already happened) are all
about establishing dominance. It usually looks more hideous than it
really is. Hissing is normal. Chasing and pouncing is normal. Hitting
is normal. The resident cat will attempt to force the newcomer back
under the futon. After that happens, go to resident cat first, give him
a hug and a caress, speak gently and empathize with him about how hard
it is to get used to a new cat. Then poke your head under the futon,
sympathize with new cat, and slide a few treats under the bed and tell
him you love him. Only interfere if resident cat doesn't leave the new
one alone after he retreats.

Over a few weeks, they will do this repeatedly, and new cat will make
more forays out of the safe space. Each foray will meet with
indignation from resident cat and a strategic retreat, but they will be
feeling each other out. When new cat takes a walk and resident cat just
ignores him like he's invisible (just once) - then the end is in sight
- you can take down the fort, and move things back to their usual
place. It could take a month, but might be much less. After that, they
will have occaisional scraps - which will usually be about who gets to
sit where when, but they will figure it out.

And one day, they'll be wrestling, but it won't be fighting - it'll be
playing :>

IBen Getiner
April 7th 06, 07:08 AM
ZailaGrace wrote:
> I have 7 month old neutered male tabby, he's been spoiled ever since we got
> him being treated like a child. We recently got a 12 week male un-neutered
> kitten from a man who had been giving them away for free, who immediately ran
> under our futon in the living room and has been hiding there for 2 days
> without eating/drinking or using his litter box, he's simply terrified. My
> older cat was curious about him, but seems scared...running and hissing when
> he came to close. The kitten simply cowers in the corner under the couch
> shivering. Now, I've heard to take the slow approach when intorducing new
> cats, keeping them in seperate rooms but, I live in a smaller 1 bedroom
> apartment and have a newborn so I can't allow the cats in my room, the two
> cats can't realy help but be near each other. So what can i do to make the
> situation more livable for everyone? Sonny the older cat doesn't seem to want
> to have much to do with the little guy now. He just...doesn't seem to like
> him. HELP! I couldn't bare getting rid of the little one.

Get rid of the newcomer NOW. Do it before he screws up your existing
kat's world. They obviously aren't going to click, so make it soon.
That or get a bigger appartment.

IBen