PDA

View Full Version : my new kitty is sick :(

Elizabeth Blake
April 7th 06, 04:33 PM
On Monday I adopted a 1 1/2 year old kitty from a local shelter. He was
sent hom with Flagyl for diarrhea, which he finished yesterday. The flagyl,
not the diarrhea. He just did some more this morning. He is now sneezing,
and last night when I got home from work his left eye was red & puffy.
Then, when I picked him up (last night & this morning) he made an awful
coughing noise.

He's still under warranty at the shelter, so we have an appointment at 2:00
today. I feel awful, the poor guy doesn't have much going for him. On
Wednesday night I let him roam the apartment and Otto tolerated him very
well. Hissed once or twice when he got too close, but otherwise ignored him
or showed off for him (flinging the mice about, climbing the cat castle
etc). Wednesday night I kept him in the bedroom with me. On Thursday
morning he bolted out of the bedroom as soon as I opened the door and when
it was time for me to leave for work he hid so I couldn't isolate him.
Since Otto seemed fine with him, I left him out. Now I'm hoping Otto
doesn't come down with something as well.

I got this cat at Bide-A-Wee in NYC and they took him from ACC, Animal Care
& Control. One woman told me last week that they put a lot of the cats from
ACC arrive with some respiratory bug and are put on antibiotics. I know he
was on Clavamox for (I think) 10 days while at Bide-A-Wee.

Do his symptoms sound like typical rescue cat problems, where many cats
might be jammed together in small spaces? The coughing is what really has
me worried. Despite the eye, coughing & sneezing he's extremely energetic,
loving & playful. He's eating, drinking and using the box. He won't use
the box in my bedroom, for some reason. He waits until I let him out and he
goes into the bathroom. We're at work now since the shelter is by my job,
and I put a box in my office which he climbed into as soon as he saw it. At
home the boxes in the bedroom & bathroom have the same litter so I'm not
sure why he won't use it.

--
Liz

Gail
April 7th 06, 06:25 PM
He does sound like he has an upper respiratory infection....probably
infected from other cats at the shelter. Antibiotics will rid him of this.
Gail
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
et...
> On Monday I adopted a 1 1/2 year old kitty from a local shelter. He was
> sent hom with Flagyl for diarrhea, which he finished yesterday. The
> flagyl,
> not the diarrhea. He just did some more this morning. He is now
> sneezing,
> and last night when I got home from work his left eye was red & puffy.
> Then, when I picked him up (last night & this morning) he made an awful
> coughing noise.
>
> He's still under warranty at the shelter, so we have an appointment at
> 2:00
> today. I feel awful, the poor guy doesn't have much going for him. On
> Wednesday night I let him roam the apartment and Otto tolerated him very
> well. Hissed once or twice when he got too close, but otherwise ignored
> him
> or showed off for him (flinging the mice about, climbing the cat castle
> etc). Wednesday night I kept him in the bedroom with me. On Thursday
> morning he bolted out of the bedroom as soon as I opened the door and when
> it was time for me to leave for work he hid so I couldn't isolate him.
> Since Otto seemed fine with him, I left him out. Now I'm hoping Otto
> doesn't come down with something as well.
>
> I got this cat at Bide-A-Wee in NYC and they took him from ACC, Animal
> Care
> & Control. One woman told me last week that they put a lot of the cats
> from
> ACC arrive with some respiratory bug and are put on antibiotics. I know
> he
> was on Clavamox for (I think) 10 days while at Bide-A-Wee.
>
> Do his symptoms sound like typical rescue cat problems, where many cats
> might be jammed together in small spaces? The coughing is what really has
> me worried. Despite the eye, coughing & sneezing he's extremely
> energetic,
> loving & playful. He's eating, drinking and using the box. He won't use
> the box in my bedroom, for some reason. He waits until I let him out and
> he
> goes into the bathroom. We're at work now since the shelter is by my job,
> and I put a box in my office which he climbed into as soon as he saw it.
> At
> home the boxes in the bedroom & bathroom have the same litter so I'm not
> sure why he won't use it.
>
> --
> Liz

Elizabeth Blake
April 7th 06, 09:02 PM
"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> He does sound like he has an upper respiratory infection....probably
> infected from other cats at the shelter. Antibiotics will rid him of this.
> Gail

We got back from the vet a little while ago armed with the following:
Clavamox - twice a day for 10 days. He was put on Clavamox when the shelter
first brought him in, as were many of the other cats there.
Albon 5% suspension (I think that's what the label says) - once a day for 12
days. I think this is a dewormer
Panacur - once a day for 5 days. For diarrhea, I think. This is a pwder
and he's not too fond of wet food, so I'm hoping he'll eat enough of it to
be effective
Terramycin ointment - for his eye. 3X a day for 14 days.

He's a little guy, less than 8 pounds, but boy can he fight during
medication time. Every other cat I've dealt with has been very easy to
handle but not him. I've already got 2 finger bites from poking Flagyl down
his throat the first 4 days I has him.

--
Liz

blkcatgal
April 8th 06, 12:35 AM
Sounds like an URI. The kitten I adopted from a shelter also had a URI and
was on antibiotics prior to me adopting him. After I adopted him, I took
him to my own vet for my own peace of mind. He still had remnants of the
URI and my vet put him on antibiotics for a couple more weeks. Sometimes it
takes a while to kick the bug. My kitten also is having an issue with ear
wax build-up and we are treating him for that too. Hope your kitty is
feeling better soon.

Sue
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
et...

> "Gail" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> He does sound like he has an upper respiratory infection....probably
>> infected from other cats at the shelter. Antibiotics will rid him of
>> this.
>> Gail
>
> We got back from the vet a little while ago armed with the following:
> Clavamox - twice a day for 10 days. He was put on Clavamox when the
> shelter
> first brought him in, as were many of the other cats there.
> Albon 5% suspension (I think that's what the label says) - once a day for
> 12
> days. I think this is a dewormer
> Panacur - once a day for 5 days. For diarrhea, I think. This is a pwder
> and he's not too fond of wet food, so I'm hoping he'll eat enough of it to
> be effective
> Terramycin ointment - for his eye. 3X a day for 14 days.
>
> He's a little guy, less than 8 pounds, but boy can he fight during
> medication time. Every other cat I've dealt with has been very easy to
> handle but not him. I've already got 2 finger bites from poking Flagyl
> down
> his throat the first 4 days I has him.
>
> --
> Liz

Unknown One
April 8th 06, 01:54 AM
>> He does sound like he has an upper respiratory infection....probably
>> infected from other cats at the shelter. Antibiotics will rid him of
>> this.
>> Gail
>
> We got back from the vet a little while ago armed with the following:
> Clavamox - twice a day for 10 days. He was put on Clavamox when the
> shelter
> first brought him in, as were many of the other cats there.
> Albon 5% suspension (I think that's what the label says) - once a day for
> 12
> days. I think this is a dewormer
> Panacur - once a day for 5 days. For diarrhea, I think. This is a pwder
> and he's not too fond of wet food, so I'm hoping he'll eat enough of it to
> be effective
> Terramycin ointment - for his eye. 3X a day for 14 days.

> He's a little guy, less than 8 pounds, but boy can he fight during
> medication time. Every other cat I've dealt with has been very easy to
> handle but not him. I've already got 2 finger bites from poking Flagyl
> down
> his throat the first 4 days I has him.

Prayers and purrs are on the way for the little guy in hopes of a full and speedy
recovery.

Sherri
April 8th 06, 02:30 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> On Monday I adopted a 1 1/2 year old kitty from a local shelter. He was
> sent hom with Flagyl for diarrhea, which he finished yesterday. The flagyl,
> not the diarrhea. He just did some more this morning. He is now sneezing,
> and last night when I got home from work his left eye was red & puffy.
> Then, when I picked him up (last night & this morning) he made an awful
> coughing noise.
>
> He's still under warranty at the shelter, so we have an appointment at 2:00
> today. I feel awful, the poor guy doesn't have much going for him. On
> Wednesday night I let him roam the apartment and Otto tolerated him very
> well. Hissed once or twice when he got too close, but otherwise ignored him
> or showed off for him (flinging the mice about, climbing the cat castle
> etc). Wednesday night I kept him in the bedroom with me. On Thursday
> morning he bolted out of the bedroom as soon as I opened the door and when
> it was time for me to leave for work he hid so I couldn't isolate him.
> Since Otto seemed fine with him, I left him out. Now I'm hoping Otto
> doesn't come down with something as well.
>
> I got this cat at Bide-A-Wee in NYC and they took him from ACC, Animal Care
> & Control. One woman told me last week that they put a lot of the cats from
> ACC arrive with some respiratory bug and are put on antibiotics. I know he
> was on Clavamox for (I think) 10 days while at Bide-A-Wee.
>
> Do his symptoms sound like typical rescue cat problems, where many cats
> might be jammed together in small spaces? The coughing is what really has
> me worried. Despite the eye, coughing & sneezing he's extremely energetic,
> loving & playful. He's eating, drinking and using the box. He won't use
> the box in my bedroom, for some reason. He waits until I let him out and he
> goes into the bathroom. We're at work now since the shelter is by my job,
> and I put a box in my office which he climbed into as soon as he saw it. At
> home the boxes in the bedroom & bathroom have the same litter so I'm not
> sure why he won't use it.
>
> --
> Liz

Liz~~~

Did you vet test for FeLV,FIV and FIP? Please tell they did and ALL
were neg. I saw my first case of FIP 2 wks ago at the hosp. I work at.

Elizabeth Blake
April 8th 06, 02:36 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sounds like an URI. The kitten I adopted from a shelter also had a URI
> and was on antibiotics prior to me adopting him. After I adopted him, I
> took him to my own vet for my own peace of mind. He still had remnants of
> the URI and my vet put him on antibiotics for a couple more weeks.
> Sometimes it takes a while to kick the bug. My kitten also is having an
> issue with ear wax build-up and we are treating him for that too. Hope
> your kitty is feeling better soon.
>
> Sue

That's what the vet said. I'm worried now that Otto may have caught
something, because I heard him sneeze a copule of times. I'll keep a close
eye on him and get him to the vet if he shows any symptoms.

Isaac (new kitty) is very upset about being shut up in the bedroom again,
but he'll have to deal with it for another two weeks or so. The medications
I got for him today need to be given from 5 to 12 days (different times for
different meds). One is a powder (Panacur) to mix in wet food, and he's not
too crazy about wet. He turned his nose up at Wellness the other day, ate a
little bit of Petguard and did eat Science Diet the first night I brought
him home. I went to Petco yesterday to get more SD since I had none left.
I also bought SD dry, because he was getting both SD wet & dry in the
shelter. I'll wean him off it eventually, but for now I just want to make
sure he's eating. Otto went insane when he saw the bag. He hasn't had dry
food in years but I guess he remembers it. He got a little bit last night
with his wet food and was happy.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
April 8th 06, 04:34 AM
"Sherri" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Did you vet test for FeLV,FIV and FIP? Please tell they did and ALL
> were neg. I saw my first case of FIP 2 wks ago at the hosp. I work at.

Yes, all of the cats are tested before being offered for adoption. Many of
the cats at Bide-A-Wee were taken from Animal Care & Control (NYC) and I was
told that a lot of them end up getting sick. He was put on Clavamox when he
arrived at Bide-A-Wee and seemed okay the first few days I had him, although
he did sneeze a few times. It wasn't a constant thing so I figured it was
just the tail end of whatever he might have picked up.

--
Liz

Rhonda
April 9th 06, 05:20 AM
You're a good cat-mom, Elizabeth. I hope he's feeling better already.

Rhonda

Elizabeth Blake wrote:

> We got back from the vet a little while ago armed with the following:
> Clavamox - twice a day for 10 days. He was put on Clavamox when the shelter
> first brought him in, as were many of the other cats there.
> Albon 5% suspension (I think that's what the label says) - once a day for 12
> days. I think this is a dewormer
> Panacur - once a day for 5 days. For diarrhea, I think. This is a pwder
> and he's not too fond of wet food, so I'm hoping he'll eat enough of it to
> be effective
> Terramycin ointment - for his eye. 3X a day for 14 days.
>
> He's a little guy, less than 8 pounds, but boy can he fight during
> medication time. Every other cat I've dealt with has been very easy to
> handle but not him. I've already got 2 finger bites from poking Flagyl down
> his throat the first 4 days I has him.

IBen Getiner
April 9th 06, 07:02 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> On Monday I adopted a 1 1/2 year old kitty from a local shelter. He was
> sent hom with Flagyl for diarrhea, which he finished yesterday. The flagyl,
> not the diarrhea. He just did some more this morning. He is now sneezing,
> and last night when I got home from work his left eye was red & puffy.
> Then, when I picked him up (last night & this morning) he made an awful
> coughing noise.
>
> He's still under warranty at the shelter, so we have an appointment at 2:00
> today. I feel awful, the poor guy doesn't have much going for him. On
> Wednesday night I let him roam the apartment and Otto tolerated him very
> well. Hissed once or twice when he got too close, but otherwise ignored him
> or showed off for him (flinging the mice about, climbing the cat castle
> etc). Wednesday night I kept him in the bedroom with me. On Thursday
> morning he bolted out of the bedroom as soon as I opened the door and when
> it was time for me to leave for work he hid so I couldn't isolate him.
> Since Otto seemed fine with him, I left him out. Now I'm hoping Otto
> doesn't come down with something as well.
>
> I got this cat at Bide-A-Wee in NYC and they took him from ACC, Animal Care
> & Control. One woman told me last week that they put a lot of the cats from
> ACC arrive with some respiratory bug and are put on antibiotics. I know he
> was on Clavamox for (I think) 10 days while at Bide-A-Wee.
>
> Do his symptoms sound like typical rescue cat problems, where many cats
> might be jammed together in small spaces? The coughing is what really has
> me worried. Despite the eye, coughing & sneezing he's extremely energetic,
> loving & playful. He's eating, drinking and using the box. He won't use
> the box in my bedroom, for some reason. He waits until I let him out and he
> goes into the bathroom. We're at work now since the shelter is by my job,
> and I put a box in my office which he climbed into as soon as he saw it. At
> home the boxes in the bedroom & bathroom have the same litter so I'm not
> sure why he won't use it.
>
> --
> Liz

Why would you take a cat from one of those awful shelters? There's
where you made your first big mistake. Second rate pets, for sure. Many
of them are hopeless incurables or worst. Daft, I tell you...

IBen

John Doe
April 9th 06, 07:25 AM
"IBen Getiner" > wrote:

> Why would you take a cat from one of those awful shelters? There's
> where you made your first big mistake. Second rate pets, for sure.
> Many of them are hopeless incurables or worst. Daft, I tell you...

Around here, you can pick one up off the street. If I had a dime for
every animal I could save, I'd be rich.

Cee White
April 9th 06, 07:36 AM
We took a lovely little white kitten from the Humane Shelter.
She and all the other cats appeared healthy. She was found that day
in their big barrel of dried cat food. Fortunately, I first took her
to my vet who recommeded isolation to protect my other cats. She soon
showed a severe respiratory infection. It was touch and go with
massive antibiotic injections. Finally there was no more to be done
except hope. She was in isolation for six weeks before healing.

Today she is the most loving cat, chirps instead of meowing, has hair
longer than any cat I have ever seen. She follows everyone
everywhere. I am so grateful we took a chance.

I'm sure that in a couple months you'll look back and say the same
thing.

Good for you, Elizabeth.
Cath in Yuma, AZ
PS Evidently, our little cat infected all the other kitties at the
shelter because a week after she left, they all became ill.

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 04:20:39 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>You're a good cat-mom, Elizabeth. I hope he's feeling better already.
>
>Rhonda
>
>Elizabeth Blake wrote:
>

>> We got back from the vet a little while ago armed with the following:
>> Clavamox - twice a day for 10 days. He was put on Clavamox when the shelter
>> first brought him in, as were many of the other cats there.
>> Albon 5% suspension (I think that's what the label says) - once a day for 12
>> days. I think this is a dewormer
>> Panacur - once a day for 5 days. For diarrhea, I think. This is a pwder
>> and he's not too fond of wet food, so I'm hoping he'll eat enough of it to
>> be effective
>> Terramycin ointment - for his eye. 3X a day for 14 days.
>>
>> He's a little guy, less than 8 pounds, but boy can he fight during
>> medication time. Every other cat I've dealt with has been very easy to
>> handle but not him. I've already got 2 finger bites from poking Flagyl down
>> his throat the first 4 days I has him.

Elizabeth Blake
April 9th 06, 10:29 PM
"Cee White" > wrote in message
> We took a lovely little white kitten from the Humane Shelter.
> She and all the other cats appeared healthy. She was found that day
> in their big barrel of dried cat food. Fortunately, I first took her
> to my vet who recommeded isolation to protect my other cats. She soon
> showed a severe respiratory infection. It was touch and go with
> massive antibiotic injections. Finally there was no more to be done
> except hope. She was in isolation for six weeks before healing.

When I brought Isaac home I did isolate him in my bedroom. He seemed fine,
and on the third day (night) he bolted out of the bedroom as I was going in,
and I let him roam while Otto was out. Otto growled & hissed a few times
but generally seemed okay. Isacc was so happy to be free and had a great
time. It wasn't until the following night that all of his symptoms showed
up at once. He is now back in isolation and will be there for at least two
weeks. I feel bad, but being in a whole room is much better than being in a
cage.

> Today she is the most loving cat, chirps instead of meowing, has hair
> longer than any cat I have ever seen. She follows everyone
> everywhere. I am so grateful we took a chance.

Isaac is already extremely sweet & loving, and he also chirps! I haven't
heard him meow yet, just his happy little noise. He purrs on contact and
throws himself all over me. I don't regret choosing him.

> Good for you, Elizabeth.
> Cath in Yuma, AZ
> PS Evidently, our little cat infected all the other kitties at the
> shelter because a week after she left, they all became ill.

I know a bunch of cats at the shelter were on antibiotics. The worker told
me that a lot of cats they get from Animal Care & Control come in sick. I
guess that's what happens when you have too many kitties crammed into small
spaces. :( I'm hoping that Otto didn't catch anything during the time they
were both roaming free.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
April 9th 06, 10:31 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
. com...

> Around here, you can pick one up off the street. If I had a dime for
> every animal I could save, I'd be rich.

Most stray cats I've come across were very skittish and ran when approached.
There's also a good chance that a street cat will have health problems as
well. All of the shelter cats are tested for the various diseases first,
are spayed or neutered and are given any care & medication they need.

--
Liz

Sherri
April 9th 06, 11:06 PM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> "John Doe" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
> > Around here, you can pick one up off the street. If I had a dime for
> > every animal I could save, I'd be rich.
>
> Most stray cats I've come across were very skittish and ran when approached.
> There's also a good chance that a street cat will have health problems as
> well. All of the shelter cats are tested for the various diseases first,
> are spayed or neutered and are given any care & medication they need.
>
> --
> Liz

Liz~~~ your local shelter sounds great.Our local SPCA pretty does
nothing.That cant afford any testing but they do give out coupons for
spay/neuters. If I ever win the big lottery jackpot..........one of
the first things Im doing is building a huge SPCA that runs ALL
test,vacs, etc.

Anna via CatKB.com
April 10th 06, 12:45 AM
>That's what the vet said. I'm worried now that Otto may have caught
>something, because I heard him sneeze a copule of times. I'll keep a close
>eye on him and get him to the vet if he shows any symptoms.

If Otto had the FVRCP vaccine, he has some protection from Isaac's URI.
Vaccines don't offer 100% protection, but if he does contract the URI, his
symptoms will be much less severe than Isaac's; he may just have a bit of
sneezing, etc. and should be able to fight it off a lot quicker than a cat
who hasn't had the vaccine. Or he may not get any symptoms at all. By the
way, URI's are extremely common in all shelters. I used to work at a Humane
Society and I saw many infected kittens and a few cats. The problem with
URI's is that they are so easily transmittable; an infected kitten at the
shelter can sneeze on another and then that kitten can then get it too.
That's why sneezing cats are immediately isolated in another room and treated
before being put back into the main cat room.

Elizabeth Blake
April 11th 06, 04:21 AM
"Anna via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >That's what the vet said. I'm worried now that Otto may have caught
>>something, because I heard him sneeze a copule of times. I'll keep a
>>close
>>eye on him and get him to the vet if he shows any symptoms.
>
> If Otto had the FVRCP vaccine, he has some protection from Isaac's URI.
> Vaccines don't offer 100% protection, but if he does contract the URI, his
> symptoms will be much less severe than Isaac's; he may just have a bit of
> sneezing, etc. and should be able to fight it off a lot quicker than a cat
> who hasn't had the vaccine. Or he may not get any symptoms at all. By
> the
> way, URI's are extremely common in all shelters. I used to work at a
> Humane
> Society and I saw many infected kittens and a few cats. The problem with
> URI's is that they are so easily transmittable; an infected kitten at the
> shelter can sneeze on another and then that kitten can then get it too.
> That's why sneezing cats are immediately isolated in another room and
> treated
> before being put back into the main cat room.

The cats at this shelter were in individual cages but all in the same room.
The worker told me that so many of them come from Animal Care & Control
already sick. They put most of them on Clavamox. Otto still seems fine.
Isaac is going crazy staying in the bedroom and he's still sneezing/coughing
but it's not a constant thing. I hear him several times at most during the
time I'm home before & after work. His eyes are looking a little better but
he was half closing the left (worse) eye again tonight. He's still got lots
of energy and is eating well, which is good because I'm putting his meds in
the food.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
April 11th 06, 04:23 AM
"Sherri" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Liz~~~ your local shelter sounds great.Our local SPCA pretty does
> nothing.That cant afford any testing but they do give out coupons for
> spay/neuters. If I ever win the big lottery jackpot..........one of
> the first things Im doing is building a huge SPCA that runs ALL
> test,vacs, etc.

This shelter requires a $100 donation for all adopted pets, so that helps
with the costs. Originally I was going to check out a rescue group, but
decided with the shelter because I knew that all of the cats were tested and
seen by a vet. They have a clinic on site that treats not only the shelter
animals, but regular pets as well. Isaac was treated for free since he was
a recent adoptee.

--
Liz