PDA

View Full Version : Question about IBD diagnosis

yngver
April 10th 06, 06:00 PM
Hi, we have a cat about 5 years old (this is just a guess because we
adopted her as a stray about three years ago and the vet thought she
was maybe two at the time) who has had occasional soft stools. It never
lasts more than a day (meaning she will have a soft stool, either runny
or formed but still soft) once and then the next day will be normal
again). We took her to the vet recently because after one episode, we
tried to clean her up (she is a long-haired white cat) and I think the
cat shampoo I used irritated her skin. She then licked the base of her
tail raw. She was treated with Animax ointment and put on Flagyl for
ten days. About two weeks later she had another soft stool with a
little blood on the top of it.

The vet ran all possible tests (bloodwork, urinalysis, chemscreen,
fecal tests) which all came out normal. She says that without endoscopy
with biopsy she can't make a definitive diagnosis, but she suspects
IBD. We are reluctant to put our cat through an endoscopy when my
suspicion is that it won't show anything abnormal. She and another cat
in our household do not get along and fight, and I suspect this is
really stress-related. We went through the same thing two years ago
thinking she had cystitis because she only peed a drop and then ran out
of the litter box, only to have all tests come out normal and realize
that the reason she runs out of the litter box so fast is that she is
afraid the other cat will attack her.

She has no other signs of IBD--no weight loss (actually she gained
three ounces between her vet visits), no vomiting, no lethargy and she
certainly has a healthy appetite. She is on Flagyl now for a month. I
guess it could be a food allergy but we have not detected any pattern
related to what she eats. Any ideas? Does this sound like IBD? Has
anyone had an endoscopy done for IBD that turned out normal? Thanks.
-Yngver

Gail
April 11th 06, 01:08 AM
Have you researched IBD on google? My cat (who died last year) had IBD for
10 years. She had periodic diarrhea, vomiting, and weight loss. The
definitive diagnosis is a biopsy, but the vet did not want to put her
through that. He did an ultrsound and saw thickening. She remained on
Prednisone the rest of her life and did well. You can try changing her diet
to see if that will help. My cat could not eat any dry food and ate high
quality canned food (chicken, turkey, and lamb only).
Gail
"yngver" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, we have a cat about 5 years old (this is just a guess because we
> adopted her as a stray about three years ago and the vet thought she
> was maybe two at the time) who has had occasional soft stools. It never
> lasts more than a day (meaning she will have a soft stool, either runny
> or formed but still soft) once and then the next day will be normal
> again). We took her to the vet recently because after one episode, we
> tried to clean her up (she is a long-haired white cat) and I think the
> cat shampoo I used irritated her skin. She then licked the base of her
> tail raw. She was treated with Animax ointment and put on Flagyl for
> ten days. About two weeks later she had another soft stool with a
> little blood on the top of it.
>
> The vet ran all possible tests (bloodwork, urinalysis, chemscreen,
> fecal tests) which all came out normal. She says that without endoscopy
> with biopsy she can't make a definitive diagnosis, but she suspects
> IBD. We are reluctant to put our cat through an endoscopy when my
> suspicion is that it won't show anything abnormal. She and another cat
> in our household do not get along and fight, and I suspect this is
> really stress-related. We went through the same thing two years ago
> thinking she had cystitis because she only peed a drop and then ran out
> of the litter box, only to have all tests come out normal and realize
> that the reason she runs out of the litter box so fast is that she is
> afraid the other cat will attack her.
>
> She has no other signs of IBD--no weight loss (actually she gained
> three ounces between her vet visits), no vomiting, no lethargy and she
> certainly has a healthy appetite. She is on Flagyl now for a month. I
> guess it could be a food allergy but we have not detected any pattern
> related to what she eats. Any ideas? Does this sound like IBD? Has
> anyone had an endoscopy done for IBD that turned out normal? Thanks.
> -Yngver

yngver
April 11th 06, 08:01 PM
Gail wrote:
> Have you researched IBD on google? My cat (who died last year) had IBD for
> 10 years. She had periodic diarrhea, vomiting, and weight loss. The
> definitive diagnosis is a biopsy, but the vet did not want to put her
> through that. He did an ultrsound and saw thickening. She remained on
> Prednisone the rest of her life and did well. You can try changing her diet
> to see if that will help. My cat could not eat any dry food and ate high
> quality canned food (chicken, turkey, and lamb only).
> Gail

Thanks, Gail. Yes, I've read about IBD online and looked at the Yahoo
group on feline IBD but it seems to me that most cats with IBD have
other symptoms besides occasional soft stools. Perhaps our vet could do
an ultrasound; she didn't mention that possibility. Since our cat was a
stray when we found her, we don't know what she ate before that. She
was very emaciated then (5.5 lbs) and so we free fed her to get her
weight up. I don't remember if she had any soft stools back then but it
wouldn't have been surprising since she was in such sorry shape when we
took her in. She now weighs 10.5 lbs. so maybe she put the weight on
too fast and her intestines couldn't handle it. She has not had any
more soft stools while on the Flagyl, but since a month or two could go
by anyway without her having a soft stool, I'm not sure that proves
it's working. The vet did say we could try prednisone if the Flagyl
didn't help, but as I said, I can't tell whether it is or not.
-Yngver

The vet said to feed her a good canned chicken food, but that's what
she eats most of the time anyway. She said if we are going to try a
hypoallergenic food, she'd rather it be a prescription food so that she
knows it really is hypoallergenic. My reasoning has been that if we put
her on a special food, how will we know whether that or the Flagyl is
helping, so I was thinking we could try the new food once she tapers
off the Flagyl in a couple weeks.

Rene S.
April 13th 06, 08:59 PM
yngver wrote:
> Hi, we have a cat about 5 years old (this is just a guess because we
> adopted her as a stray about three years ago and the vet thought she
> was maybe two at the time) who has had occasional soft stools. It never
> lasts more than a day (meaning she will have a soft stool, either runny
> or formed but still soft) once and then the next day will be normal
> again). We took her to the vet recently because after one episode, we
> tried to clean her up (she is a long-haired white cat) and I think the
> cat shampoo I used irritated her skin. She then licked the base of her
> tail raw. She was treated with Animax ointment and put on Flagyl for
> ten days. About two weeks later she had another soft stool with a
> little blood on the top of it.
>
> The vet ran all possible tests (bloodwork, urinalysis, chemscreen,
> fecal tests) which all came out normal. She says that without endoscopy
> with biopsy she can't make a definitive diagnosis, but she suspects
> IBD. We are reluctant to put our cat through an endoscopy when my
> suspicion is that it won't show anything abnormal. She and another cat
> in our household do not get along and fight, and I suspect this is
> really stress-related. We went through the same thing two years ago
> thinking she had cystitis because she only peed a drop and then ran out
> of the litter box, only to have all tests come out normal and realize
> that the reason she runs out of the litter box so fast is that she is
> afraid the other cat will attack her.
>
> She has no other signs of IBD--no weight loss (actually she gained
> three ounces between her vet visits), no vomiting, no lethargy and she
> certainly has a healthy appetite. She is on Flagyl now for a month. I
> guess it could be a food allergy but we have not detected any pattern
> related to what she eats. Any ideas? Does this sound like IBD? Has
> anyone had an endoscopy done for IBD that turned out normal? Thanks.
> -Yngver

Several months ago, my Tucker had pancreatitis with possibly a touch of
IBD. They wanted me to do the endoscopy, but he was so ill I didn't
want to put him through that. I switched him to a commercial raw diet
and he's doing great. Here's some links for you:
http://www.catnutrition.org/
www.naturesvariety.com

Rene