PDA

View Full Version : Re: What were pet dogs and cats fed before commercial food?

yngver
April 10th 06, 06:47 PM
Ajanta wrote:
> Are there any records on what people fed their pet dogs and cats before
> modern commercial food became available? Were dogs and cats fed
> different foods as we now insist they must be?

They were fed table scraps and at least on farms, they were supposed to
be catching mice and other vermin too. I grew up on a farm, and every
day my mother would put out a meal for the dogs and cats--whatever
leftover meat and vegetables and eggs were available. Barn cats also
hung around the barn at milking time and would get a bowl of fresh
milk. It wasn't until my dad retired and came home with a Pekingnese
dog that my parents began buying commercial dog food.
-yngver