PDA

View Full Version : Travel and cat psycology

jmc
April 12th 06, 08:39 PM
Cat psycology question:

If you're making major changes to your cat's life - say, putting her
into a cattery/quarantine for two months because you're all moving to a
new foreign country - how best to do it?

One way would be to keep things as normal as possible, keep all her
"stuff" until the last minute, which would keep her stress level a bit
lower over time, but might stress her more when she's suddenly dropped
in a kennel.

The other way, which is how things are working out this time, is to
gradually introduce her to the changes. First her furniture and ours
shipped, then we moved to a new place, but with her regular food bowls
and litter box. Today we're packing them up. Saturday she goes to the
kennel.

She seems particularly stressed today, seeking out my clothes and
luggage to lay on/in, which is why I'm wondering if we did the right
thing, introducing her to the idea slowly. Unfortunately, there was no
other way, unless I put her in a cattery for an additional month. Would
that have been less stressful than these gradually building changes?
She's been through this before, and I'm pretty sure she has some idea
about what's happening. After all, this'll be her 4th overseas move.

I'll be desperately worried about her for the next two months, won't see
her again until mid-June. Augh!

jmc

cybercat
April 12th 06, 08:44 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Cat psycology question:
>
> If you're making major changes to your cat's life - say, putting her
> into a cattery/quarantine for two months because you're all moving to a
> new foreign country - how best to do it?

I can't see how anything could lessen the impact of this. Can you
not even see her when she is in quarantine?

Freight Train Jones
April 13th 06, 03:18 AM

http://www.barryparrish.com/socruelthankstocakewalkforum.mp3
> I'll be desperately worried about her for the next two months, won't see
> her again until mid-June. Augh!
>
> jmc

http://www.barryparrish.com/socruelthankstocakewalkforum.mp3

just play this on your travels..they'll be fine
remember me in your prayers ill remember you in mine

Rhonda
April 13th 06, 04:49 AM
Brandy Alexandre wrote:

> Most places allow you to come visit. Since she finds comfort in your
> clothes, drop her off with a nicely worn t-shirt to cuddle up in and
> visit as often as the facility will allow.

Ditto on that. Send along some of your un-laundered clothes (wear a
t-shirt to bed and send it with her.)

I hope you can find a way to visit her and maybe bring in more of your
clothing or blankets for her.

If she's been through this before, I'll bet she'll adjust pretty well.
Maybe she's thinking now "uh oh, here we go again..."

Good luck to all of you.

Rhonda

jmc
April 13th 06, 04:50 PM
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (4/12/2006 8:44 PM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Cat psycology question:
>>
>> If you're making major changes to your cat's life - say, putting her
>> into a cattery/quarantine for two months because you're all moving to a
>> new foreign country - how best to do it?
>>

> I can't see how anything could lessen the impact of this. Can you
> not even see her when she is in quarantine?

Unfortunately, no. We are spending a couple months back home before
going to our next post - can't take her with us as coming from the US
extends her quarantine. She gets out of quarantine the day we arrive
in-country.

I do have a shirt I've thrown into her travel box, hopefully that'll help.

jmc

cybercat
April 13th 06, 06:11 PM
"jmc" > wrote:

> > I can't see how anything could lessen the impact of this. Can you
> > not even see her when she is in quarantine?
> >

> Unfortunately, no.

Oh, man, I suspected that. I'm sorry, that really sucks.

>We are spending a couple months back home before
> going to our next post - can't take her with us as coming from the US
> extends her quarantine. She gets out of quarantine the day we arrive
> in-country.
>
> I do have a shirt I've thrown into her travel box, hopefully that'll help.

I hope so. I can imagine how terrible you feel. Well, if it is any
consolation,
I left my first cat for long periods of time twice, on both occasions when I
traveled abroad for more than a month. I had a neighbor come in and feed
her and he was sweet enough to hang out and watch tv with her every night.
When I came home she looked confused (because she clearly thought I was
gone forever) then was clingy for a while, then it was business as usual.
But
that cat was not a very affectionate cat. I left my current cat for a week
and
still feel guilty about it, due to her reaction when I came home. She is
still
glued to me. (She is the Cat Who Would Be a Dog this way.) Good
luck. Love her up good before you have to separate, and sit her down
and have a good talk with her. Tell her, "it will seem like I am never
coming
back but I will." Sounds stupid, but even if it makes one of you feel better
it will be worth it.