PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal?

Bianca L
April 12th 06, 08:57 PM
I have adopted a new kitten, Stevie. She is amazing. She came into the
shelter with two other littermates. Steve was born with no eyeballs.

Anyway I adopted her a couple weeks ago and I notice that she sleeps through
the night. For the life of me I can't remember a kitten doing this. I have a
11 month old that I adopted last year and he is a maniac at all hours. Poken
me in my eyes while I am trying to sleep and stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool that she does this. However, for some
reason it doesn't seem normal, does it?

When your cats were kittens did they sleep through the night? Also I know
some might think "How do you know if she is sleeping?" Well she usually
spreads out into one position and will stay there till my alarm goes off. She
seems like she is sleeping, so I am going with that.

Gail
April 12th 06, 09:08 PM
Maybe her being blind has something to do with it......I think you are
wonderful for adopting her!!
Gail
"Bianca L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have adopted a new kitten, Stevie. She is amazing. She came into the
> shelter with two other littermates. Steve was born with no eyeballs.
>
> Anyway I adopted her a couple weeks ago and I notice that she sleeps
> through
> the night. For the life of me I can't remember a kitten doing this. I have
> 11 month old that I adopted last year and he is a maniac at all hours.
> Poken
> me in my eyes while I am trying to sleep and stuff.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool that she does this. However, for
> some
> reason it doesn't seem normal, does it?
>
> When your cats were kittens did they sleep through the night? Also I know
> some might think "How do you know if she is sleeping?" Well she usually
> spreads out into one position and will stay there till my alarm goes off.
> She
> seems like she is sleeping, so I am going with that.

MaryL
April 13th 06, 03:16 AM
"Bianca L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have adopted a new kitten, Stevie. She is amazing. She came into the
> shelter with two other littermates. Steve was born with no eyeballs.

<snip>

I am so glad you adopted Stevie. My Duffy is also blind, and he is
wonderful. I would like to make a couple of recommendations, based on what
Duffy likes. First, I suggest that you get a good quality cat tree. Duffy
absolutely loves to climb, and that is one of his favorite possessions (and
it clearly *is* Duffy's "personal property"). Be sure to get a cat tree
with carpeted poles because your cat will need to climb up and down the
poles. He won't be able to see to leap from one bed to another, as sighted
cats do. Also, get a tree with raised sides around the beds. That will
help to orient him and avoid a fall, possibly when he wakes up from a nap.
Second, Duffy loves the Turbo Scratcher. The ball is in a fixed track, so
he always knows where it is -- and it makes a rumbling sound when he is
playing with it, and that also helps him track the movement. Turbo
Scratchers are readily available in pet supply stores, and often in WalMart.
Here is a picture:
http://www.thecatconnection.com/page/TCC/PROD/PLAY-SRTCH/PLAY-2602

Again, thanks for adopting!

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Rhonda
April 13th 06, 04:45 AM
Maybe she is attached to you and following your patterns. She wants to
curl up and be with you when she can!

She sounds like a sweetie. I'm glad you're giving her such a good home.

Rhonda

Bianca L wrote:

> Anyway I adopted her a couple weeks ago and I notice that she sleeps through
> the night. For the life of me I can't remember a kitten doing this. I have a
> 11 month old that I adopted last year and he is a maniac at all hours. Poken
> me in my eyes while I am trying to sleep and stuff.

Bianca L via CatKB.com
April 13th 06, 04:56 PM

Thanks to all who replied!

I haven't talked to anyone who also has a blind cat. I normally go to a vet
that serves only cats for my other furry friends and when I took Stevie no
vet had seen anything like her. I guess because she was born with such a
strange birth deffect.

I am glad I adopted her too. I work at a shelter and (no pun intended ) she
immediately caught my eye. I worried for her, so I opted to fostering her.
Then I couldn't let her go in the end.

She get's around perfectly and has no problem with bumping into stuff. Well I
saw her crash into the bathtub once. Just the other day she figured out how
to get on the kitchen counter. I still have no idea how she did it.

My other cat Frito is in love with her, and I believe takes care of her. She
meows sometime when she can't hear anyone then my other cat will come running
to her. She is fine after that. I do have that turbo scratcher. She doesn't
play with that, she seems to like the toy mice and a feather duster which
seem to be her favorite things to carrry around the house. I do have a
scratching post/tower that her and Frito play on.

One thing about Stevie that I love is she has the sweetest diposition even
for being 4 months old. She has mellowed out my cat Frito. Frito was really
aggresive sometimes, and Stevie has changed all that.

I did want to ask you does your blind cat have a strange appetite for food?
Stevie eats just about anything. Also, she can smell you eating in another
room and she runs for it. She doesn't have any manners about getting on your
plate while you are eating. I don't know if I am being easy on her, plus she
doesn't take no for an answer. ( I can't believe I am about ready to tell
another soul this ) One time I started growling/hissing like a cat at her
when she approached my food. This has been the only thing that keeps her at
bay while I am eating. Does your cat do the same?

Also I wanted to ask about taking your cat to the vet to get shots. When
Stevie got spayed I had them microchip, vaccinate and test for FELV/FIV while
she was under. I don't want her to go through any stress. Next week she will
be getting her rabies and I worry about freaking her out. Does your cat do
okay with shots the same as a normal cat would? I just don't want to
traumatize her. I know it's seem a bit paranoid, but I love her

MaryL wrote:
>>I have adopted a new kitten, Stevie. She is amazing. She came into the
>> shelter with two other littermates. Steve was born with no eyeballs.
>
><snip>
>
>I am so glad you adopted Stevie. My Duffy is also blind, and he is
>wonderful. I would like to make a couple of recommendations, based on what
>Duffy likes. First, I suggest that you get a good quality cat tree. Duffy
>absolutely loves to climb, and that is one of his favorite possessions (and
>it clearly *is* Duffy's "personal property"). Be sure to get a cat tree
>with carpeted poles because your cat will need to climb up and down the
>poles. He won't be able to see to leap from one bed to another, as sighted
>cats do. Also, get a tree with raised sides around the beds. That will
>help to orient him and avoid a fall, possibly when he wakes up from a nap.
>Second, Duffy loves the Turbo Scratcher. The ball is in a fixed track, so
>he always knows where it is -- and it makes a rumbling sound when he is
>playing with it, and that also helps him track the movement. Turbo
>Scratchers are readily available in pet supply stores, and often in WalMart.
>Here is a picture:
>http://www.thecatconnection.com/page/TCC/PROD/PLAY-SRTCH/PLAY-2602
>
>Again, thanks for adopting!
>
>MaryL
>
>Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
>Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
>Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
>Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
>Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

April 13th 06, 09:50 PM
I think cats can navigate pretty well using 'whisker senses'. That is, they
detect tiny air movements with their whiskers and can avoid a lot of
obstacles that way (like a blind person with a cane.) A cat also knows if
it can fit through a hole by seeing if the whiskers will fit. You probably
should keep her food/water bowls and litter box in the same place just to be
sure she doesn't get confused.

As mentioned before, your kitty probably won't be jumping a lot though
(any?) - since she can't see where the jump is taking her.

Cats do have an excellent sense of smell. Much better than humans, almost
as good as a dogs. No doubt your kitty is concentrating even harder on
using smell.

Bless you for taking in this cat. You are so good for doing shelter work -
as a cat lover I so appreciate the hard work your doing!!!
..
-- maryjane

"Bianca L via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> [...]
>>Duffy likes. First, I suggest that you get a good quality cat tree. Duffy
>>absolutely loves to climb, and that is one of his favorite possessions
>>(and
>>it clearly *is* Duffy's "personal property"). Be sure to get a cat tree
>>with carpeted poles because your cat will need to climb up and down the
>>poles. He won't be able to see to leap from one bed to another, as
>>sighted
>>cats do. Also, get a tree with raised sides around the beds. That will
>>help to orient him and avoid a fall, possibly when he wakes up from a nap.
>>Second, Duffy loves the Turbo Scratcher. The ball is in a fixed track, so
>>he always knows where it is -- and it makes a rumbling sound when he is
>>playing with it, and that also helps him track the movement. Turbo
>>Scratchers are readily available in pet supply stores, and often in

April 13th 06, 10:50 PM
"Bianca L via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

<snip>
> She get's around perfectly and has no problem with bumping into stuff.
> Well I
> saw her crash into the bathtub once. Just the other day she figured out
> how
> to get on the kitchen counter. I still have no idea how she did it.

Duffy navigates beautifully! He will occasionally bump into something if he
is startled or frightened, but that is rare and has never been a "solid"
bump to injure him.

> My other cat Frito is in love with her, and I believe takes care of her.
> She
> meows sometime when she can't hear anyone then my other cat will come
> running
> to her. She is fine after that. I do have that turbo scratcher. She
> doesn't
> play with that, she seems to like the toy mice and a feather duster which
> seem to be her favorite things to carrry around the house. I do have a
> scratching post/tower that her and Frito play on.
>
> One thing about Stevie that I love is she has the sweetest diposition even
> for being 4 months old. She has mellowed out my cat Frito. Frito was
> really
> aggresive sometimes, and Stevie has changed all that.

Duffy also has an incredibly sweet disposition. He is incredibly loving and
loves to be loved. He will sit with his hips in my lap and his front paws
around my neck, and will give me these sweet little head butts and rub his
nose and chin all over my face. He is also a "talker." He walks around the
house going "mrrrryup, mrrrryup, etc."

> I did want to ask you does your blind cat have a strange appetite for
> food?

I don't know that I would call it a "strange appetite," but Duffy does love
snacks. He comes running whenever I eat, but he doesn't attack my plate.
He knows I will put a tiny portion on a plate for him, and he "lets me know
about if" if I am too slow. I told my sister he is like a little vacuum
cleaner and will instantly clean up almost any type of meat or kitty treat
(almost inhales it). By contrast, Holly only wants her cat food and will
totally ignore any other type of food.

> Stevie eats just about anything. Also, she can smell you eating in another
> room and she runs for it. She doesn't have any manners about getting on
> your
> plate while you are eating. I don't know if I am being easy on her, plus
> she
> doesn't take no for an answer. ( I can't believe I am about ready to tell
> another soul this ) One time I started growling/hissing like a cat at her
> when she approached my food. This has been the only thing that keeps her
> at
> bay while I am eating. Does your cat do the same?
>
> Also I wanted to ask about taking your cat to the vet to get shots. When
> Stevie got spayed I had them microchip, vaccinate and test for FELV/FIV
> while
> she was under. I don't want her to go through any stress. Next week she
> will
> be getting her rabies and I worry about freaking her out. Does your cat do
> okay with shots the same as a normal cat would? I just don't want to
> traumatize her. I know it's seem a bit paranoid, but I love her

Duffy is frightened when I place her in a carrier and take her to the vet,
but I could say the same thing about Holly. I spray some Feliway in the
carrier about 20 minutes before we leave, and I think that helps. Although
they dislike going to the vet, they certainly are not traumatized. I stay
in the room with them, and they both like for me to keep "hands on"
throughout the examination. Once we get home, both are completely normal
and show no signs of distress. I also give them a little treat after we
return home (which is just cat food for Holly because -- as I said
earlier -- she ignores all other food and treats).

MaryL

Freight Train Jones
April 13th 06, 11:45 PM
Bianca L wrote:
> I have adopted a new kitten, Stevie. She is amazing. She came into the
> shelter with two other littermates. Steve was born with no eyeballs.

I think they could sleep that long

i know that in humans, bright light releases the wake up chemical

so.. your baby being blind..is just sleeping as needed
i wouldn't worry bout it

LB
April 14th 06, 12:01 AM
THANK YOU for adopting a blind one.

She may not be up and about at night because she hasn't "seen" anything
to prompt her. I think cats sometimes go ape at night because one thing
might catch their attention and get them going, so then they're all
wound up and they keep themselves going. (Weeee!)

My abuser, Butch, usually picks 3 or 4 am to hit the hardwoods--sounds
like a herd of cattle!