PDA

View Full Version : Is cat's behavior due to Spring?

Tracey
April 13th 06, 12:57 PM
Help! I have two cats (one 9 yr old male, one 5 year old female).
They have always gotten along fairly well, not the best of pals but
they at least tolerated eachother. Last fall we moved to a new
neighborhood. Our old neighborhood did not have many outside cats and
our new one has about 5 or 6 that roam around. Ours are strictly
indoor cats, but we let them out on the screened porch when we are at
home.

The past couple of weeks our cats started fighting. I don't mean play
fighting. They are claws out, screaming, fur flying, obsessed type of
fighting where it is dangerous to the person trying to break them up.
We have resorted to completely separating them for the past couple of
days, but that can't go on forever.

Has anyone had a situation like this that you can share with me, what
did you do? A friend suggested it might be becuase of other cats in
the neighborhood that are in heat or something (both of our cats are
fixed, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be effected
by the "season"). Both cats seem healthy and act normally as long as
the other isn't in the room. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gail
April 13th 06, 03:26 PM
If they see other cats outside, they may displace their aggression onto each
other. This has happened with my cats, also. Try using Feliway diffuser to
settle them down.
Gail
"Tracey" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Help! I have two cats (one 9 yr old male, one 5 year old female).
> They have always gotten along fairly well, not the best of pals but
> they at least tolerated eachother. Last fall we moved to a new
> neighborhood. Our old neighborhood did not have many outside cats and
> our new one has about 5 or 6 that roam around. Ours are strictly
> indoor cats, but we let them out on the screened porch when we are at
> home.
>
> The past couple of weeks our cats started fighting. I don't mean play
> fighting. They are claws out, screaming, fur flying, obsessed type of
> fighting where it is dangerous to the person trying to break them up.
> We have resorted to completely separating them for the past couple of
> days, but that can't go on forever.
>
> Has anyone had a situation like this that you can share with me, what
> did you do? A friend suggested it might be becuase of other cats in
> the neighborhood that are in heat or something (both of our cats are
> fixed, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be effected
> by the "season"). Both cats seem healthy and act normally as long as
> the other isn't in the room. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LB
April 13th 06, 11:44 PM
Yep, I think Gail nailed it. The sounds, sights and smells of other
cats (especially during times of mating and while litters are being
delivered) can make your cats aggressive--and once in that state, they
can easily **** each other off.

Suggestion: Use whatever products you can find to discourage outdoor
cats from your property, and introduce blankets, towels and toys with
the scent of the other to your cats before resocializing them. Don't
let them on the porch together--let them go there one at a time.

Best of luck! (Prrrrr)

Tracey
April 14th 06, 03:58 PM
Thanks LB & Gail for your feedback. I'm going to take Goofy to the vet
next week just to rule out anything wrong and talk to her about the
Feliway. We actually thought of a trick we used when we introduced our
2nd cat a while back of putting a baby gate in the doorway (still
supervised). This seems to help a little, at least they can
resocialize without as much stress. And we can get in and out of our
bedroom without having to worry about him "escaping".

April 14th 06, 04:37 PM
My friends cat isn't fighting this spring - but even though she was fixed at
4 months - I swear she acts like she's in heat. Not all the behaviors -
just rolling seductively on the floor, calling,etc. We're sure she's really
fixed (no other heat signs) Its quite funny ---- guess she just wand's a
boyfriend anyway. Must be springtime love fever!!

Has anyone else's cat ever done this? (My two females don't)

-- maryjane

"Tracey" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Help! I have two cats (one 9 yr old male, one 5 year old female).
> They have always gotten along fairly well, not the best of pals but
> they at least tolerated eachother. Last fall we moved to a new
> neighborhood. Our old neighborhood did not have many outside cats and
> our new one has about 5 or 6 that roam around. Ours are strictly
> indoor cats, but we let them out on the screened porch when we are at
> home.
>
> The past couple of weeks our cats started fighting. I don't mean play
> fighting. They are claws out, screaming, fur flying, obsessed type of
> fighting where it is dangerous to the person trying to break them up.
> We have resorted to completely separating them for the past couple of
> days, but that can't go on forever.
>
> Has anyone had a situation like this that you can share with me, what
> did you do? A friend suggested it might be becuase of other cats in
> the neighborhood that are in heat or something (both of our cats are
> fixed, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be effected
> by the "season"). Both cats seem healthy and act normally as long as
> the other isn't in the room. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LB
April 14th 06, 08:35 PM
Hi Tracey, I have a question. You write:
> [...] we introduced our 2nd cat a while back of putting
> a baby gate in the doorway (still supervised).
-----------
How does this work? I can picture doing that with a kitten that can't
climb yet, but how does a small gate separate full grown cats that can
jump right over the thing?

Thanks, and my best.

Tracey
April 14th 06, 09:49 PM
We only keep the door open while supervised. They'll jump right over
it if you don't watch them. It has helped though.

LB
April 14th 06, 10:08 PM
Ah yes--I can see now how having a gate up can help, especially when
you're trying to pass through doors (instead of needing to do the ankle
shuffle).

Thank you!

Sherri
April 15th 06, 02:05 AM
wrote:
> My friends cat isn't fighting this spring - but even though she was fixed at
> 4 months - I swear she acts like she's in heat. Not all the behaviors -
> just rolling seductively on the floor, calling,etc. We're sure she's really
> fixed (no other heat signs) Its quite funny ---- guess she just wand's a
> boyfriend anyway. Must be springtime love fever!!
>
> Has anyone else's cat ever done this? (My two females don't)
>
> -- maryjane
>
> "Tracey" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Help! I have two cats (one 9 yr old male, one 5 year old female).
> > They have always gotten along fairly well, not the best of pals but
> > they at least tolerated eachother. Last fall we moved to a new
> > neighborhood. Our old neighborhood did not have many outside cats and
> > our new one has about 5 or 6 that roam around. Ours are strictly
> > indoor cats, but we let them out on the screened porch when we are at
> > home.
> >
> > The past couple of weeks our cats started fighting. I don't mean play
> > fighting. They are claws out, screaming, fur flying, obsessed type of
> > fighting where it is dangerous to the person trying to break them up.
> > We have resorted to completely separating them for the past couple of
> > days, but that can't go on forever.
> >
> > Has anyone had a situation like this that you can share with me, what
> > did you do? A friend suggested it might be becuase of other cats in
> > the neighborhood that are in heat or something (both of our cats are
> > fixed, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be effected
> > by the "season"). Both cats seem healthy and act normally as long as
> > the other isn't in the room. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When she was spayed and the vet missed any a tiny bit of her ovary (or
ovaries) she can still go into heat.