PDA

View Full Version : Cats Suddenly Picky About Food

noone
April 15th 06, 12:38 AM
Have 2 cats, male & female. All of a sudden, like a screeching halt, after
months of eating any hard food of any price level I gave them, they suddenly
refuse to eat anything at all except soft food. A few days ago we couldn't
find the stash of hard food we had on hand, and picked up a small can of
soft, and went back to the hard afterwards. They immediately started
rejecting the hard they had previously been fine with.

Thinking maybe the hard food we had left was old--it was 2 months old--we
bought a fresh box and they started eating it fine, and we gave them no soft
food. But, after about 3 days, all of a sudden they're rejecting in--and
protesting loudly.

Sorry to not be a "cat lover," but I have no intention of indulging their
pickiness. If need be, I have a cat carrier and can confine them to that out
of the house so it's not noisy--they protest quite frequently and
loudly--until they get the point. I'm not worried about them starving to
death, I figure sooner or later they'll have to eat or else.

Even so, though, what in the world would make them snap like that so
suddenly? I know we did give them soft food for a day or two, but for them
to readjust to hard food and then suddenly 3 or 4 days later snap back to
being picky, just doesn't make sense.

Matthew AKA NMR
April 15th 06, 12:53 AM
"noone" > wrote in message
. net...
> Have 2 cats, male & female. All of a sudden, like a screeching halt, after
> months of eating any hard food of any price level I gave them, they
> suddenly refuse to eat anything at all except soft food. A few days ago we
> couldn't find the stash of hard food we had on hand, and picked up a small
> can of soft, and went back to the hard afterwards. They immediately
> started rejecting the hard they had previously been fine with.
>
> Thinking maybe the hard food we had left was old--it was 2 months old--we
> bought a fresh box and they started eating it fine, and we gave them no
> soft food. But, after about 3 days, all of a sudden they're rejecting
> in--and protesting loudly.
>
> Sorry to not be a "cat lover," but I have no intention of indulging their
> pickiness. If need be, I have a cat carrier and can confine them to that
> out of the house so it's not noisy--they protest quite frequently and
> loudly--until they get the point. I'm not worried about them starving to
> death, I figure sooner or later they'll have to eat or else.

Are you posting this to be an ass because what you wrote it sounds just like
that

> Even so, though, what in the world would make them snap like that so
> suddenly? I know we did give them soft food for a day or two, but for them
> to readjust to hard food and then suddenly 3 or 4 days later snap back to
> being picky, just doesn't make sense.

Joe Canuck
April 15th 06, 01:16 AM
noone wrote:
> Have 2 cats, male & female. All of a sudden, like a screeching halt, after
> months of eating any hard food of any price level I gave them, they suddenly
> refuse to eat anything at all except soft food. A few days ago we couldn't
> find the stash of hard food we had on hand, and picked up a small can of
> soft, and went back to the hard afterwards. They immediately started
> rejecting the hard they had previously been fine with.

Many cats will do this once they've had a taste of "the other side".

> Thinking maybe the hard food we had left was old--it was 2 months old--we
> bought a fresh box and they started eating it fine, and we gave them no soft
> food. But, after about 3 days, all of a sudden they're rejecting in--and
> protesting loudly.

They wanted the canned food back. Give in.

> Sorry to not be a "cat lover," but I have no intention of indulging their
> pickiness.

It isn't pickiness, they just know which food is better for them. The
canned food is better for felines because it contains much more moisture
than the dry food.

> If need be, I have a cat carrier and can confine them to that out
> of the house so it's not noisy--they protest quite frequently and
> loudly--until they get the point. I'm not worried about them starving to
> death, I figure sooner or later they'll have to eat or else.
>
> Even so, though, what in the world would make them snap like that so
> suddenly? I know we did give them soft food for a day or two, but for them
> to readjust to hard food and then suddenly 3 or 4 days later snap back to
> being picky, just doesn't make sense.

What really doesn't make sense is your self proclamation that you are
not a cat lover, yet you have two of them.

Sherri
April 15th 06, 01:31 AM
noone wrote:
> Have 2 cats, male & female. All of a sudden, like a screeching halt, after
> months of eating any hard food of any price level I gave them, they suddenly
> refuse to eat anything at all except soft food. A few days ago we couldn't
> find the stash of hard food we had on hand, and picked up a small can of
> soft, and went back to the hard afterwards. They immediately started
> rejecting the hard they had previously been fine with.
>
> Thinking maybe the hard food we had left was old--it was 2 months old--we
> bought a fresh box and they started eating it fine, and we gave them no soft
> food. But, after about 3 days, all of a sudden they're rejecting in--and
> protesting loudly.
>
> Sorry to not be a "cat lover," but I have no intention of indulging their
> pickiness. If need be, I have a cat carrier and can confine them to that out
> of the house so it's not noisy--they protest quite frequently and
> loudly--until they get the point. I'm not worried about them starving to
> death, I figure sooner or later they'll have to eat or else.
>
> Even so, though, what in the world would make them snap like that so
> suddenly? I know we did give them soft food for a day or two, but for them
> to readjust to hard food and then suddenly 3 or 4 days later snap back to
> being picky, just doesn't make sense.

if you dont love them, why even bother with the questions? I can tell
you do love them or you wouldnt be here...........

Try mixing a little can with the dry and see what happens.

I wish you the best of luck :)

cybercat
April 15th 06, 02:17 AM
"noone" > wrote in message
. net...
> Have 2 cats, male & female. All of a sudden, like a screeching halt, after
> months of eating any hard food of any price level I gave them, they
suddenly
> refuse to eat anything at all except soft food. A few days ago we couldn't
> find the stash of hard food we had on hand, and picked up a small can of
> soft, and went back to the hard afterwards. They immediately started
> rejecting the hard they had previously been fine with.
>
> Thinking maybe the hard food we had left was old--it was 2 months old--we
> bought a fresh box and they started eating it fine, and we gave them no
soft
> food. But, after about 3 days, all of a sudden they're rejecting in--and
> protesting loudly.
>
> Sorry to not be a "cat lover," but I have no intention of indulging their
> pickiness. If need be, I have a cat carrier and can confine them to that
out
> of the house so it's not noisy--they protest quite frequently and
> loudly--until they get the point. I'm not worried about them starving to
> death, I figure sooner or later they'll have to eat or else.
>
> Even so, though, what in the world would make them snap like that so
> suddenly? I know we did give them soft food for a day or two, but for them
> to readjust to hard food and then suddenly 3 or 4 days later snap back to
> being picky, just doesn't make sense.

Find your cats a good home with someone who will want to feed them
the food that is best for them and who IS a cat lover. They deserve better
than you.

cybercat
April 15th 06, 02:18 AM
"Matthew AKA NMR" > wrote in message
om...

> "noone" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > Have 2 cats, male & female. All of a sudden, like a screeching halt,
after
> > months of eating any hard food of any price level I gave them, they
> > suddenly refuse to eat anything at all except soft food. A few days ago
we
> > couldn't find the stash of hard food we had on hand, and picked up a
small
> > can of soft, and went back to the hard afterwards. They immediately
> > started rejecting the hard they had previously been fine with.
> >
> > Thinking maybe the hard food we had left was old--it was 2 months
old--we
> > bought a fresh box and they started eating it fine, and we gave them no
> > soft food. But, after about 3 days, all of a sudden they're rejecting
> > in--and protesting loudly.
> >
> > Sorry to not be a "cat lover," but I have no intention of indulging
their
> > pickiness. If need be, I have a cat carrier and can confine them to that
> > out of the house so it's not noisy--they protest quite frequently and
> > loudly--until they get the point. I'm not worried about them starving to
> > death, I figure sooner or later they'll have to eat or else.
> >

> Are you posting this to be an ass because what you wrote it sounds just
like
> that

Damn, Matthew, you and I must have gone to the same school of diplomacy.
:) That is exactly what I wanted to say.

April 15th 06, 03:30 AM
Does anyone own a cat who's not picky about their food? -hehehe--

Mind decided they didn't like canned food and stopped eating it (except
maybe a small spoonful a day). Had to switch back to dried with lots of
fresh water.

Anyday, they may change their little kitty minds/taste buds again.

--maryjane

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "noone" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> Have 2 cats, male & female. All of a sudden, like a screeching halt,
>> after
>> months of eating any hard food of any price level I gave them, they
> suddenly
>> refuse to eat anything at all except soft food. A few days ago we
>> couldn't
>> find the stash of hard food we had on hand, and picked up a small can of
>> soft, and went back to the hard afterwards. They immediately started
>> rejecting the hard they had previously been fine with.
>>
>> Thinking maybe the hard food we had left was old--it was 2 months old--we
>> bought a fresh box and they started eating it fine, and we gave them no
> soft
>> food. But, after about 3 days, all of a sudden they're rejecting in--and
>> protesting loudly.
>>
>> Sorry to not be a "cat lover," but I have no intention of indulging their
>> pickiness. If need be, I have a cat carrier and can confine them to that
> out
>> of the house so it's not noisy--they protest quite frequently and
>> loudly--until they get the point. I'm not worried about them starving to
>> death, I figure sooner or later they'll have to eat or else.
>>
>> Even so, though, what in the world would make them snap like that so
>> suddenly? I know we did give them soft food for a day or two, but for
>> them
>> to readjust to hard food and then suddenly 3 or 4 days later snap back to
>> being picky, just doesn't make sense.
>>

> Find your cats a good home with someone who will want to feed them
> the food that is best for them and who IS a cat lover. They deserve better
> than you.

cybercat
April 15th 06, 05:09 AM
> wrote in message
et...
> Does anyone own a cat who's not picky about their food? -hehehe--

Really. :)

> Mind decided they didn't like canned food and stopped eating it (except
> maybe a small spoonful a day). Had to switch back to dried with lots of
> fresh water.
>
> Anyday, they may change their little kitty minds/taste buds again.
>
> --maryjane

One of my cats will eat any cat food. The other began by eating one
flavor of canned Fancy Feast (half a can twice a day) PROVIDED I
keep Purina One Salmon dry food down at all times. (She is skinny ...)
Then she would eat only another flavor, and has had two additional
favorites since. Sure, I could force her to get hungry enough to eat
anything, but why would I? She makes me happy so I want to make
her happy.

noone
April 15th 06, 05:53 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
om...
> Sure, I could force her to get hungry enough to eat
> anything,

So it DOES work, huh? Thank you. That's what I'm going to do then.

Why? Not for meanness, but because they always had been just fine with dry
until just recently, and it's not called for. I don't mind indulging them
with a little "treat" every now & then, that's fine--but not if it turns
them into picky little snobs, in that case the treats are abolished.

noone
April 15th 06, 06:02 AM
"Sherri" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I can tell
> you do love them or you wouldnt be here...........

SORT of true. I do love them, but I'm not a "cat lover" per se. They don't
sleep with me (I'm married, bedroom is sacred), I feed them on the cheap, I
will NOT let them on the kitchen table/counters even if it means
booby-trapping it, and if a friend who visits doesn't find them to be the
second coming of Jesus I don't take offense to it (so long as they don't
hurt it obviously).

I do spoil them in that the female likes to suck on my fuzzy housecoat for
some reason, and I've been known to remove the housecoat while wearing it
even if it was cold in the house and plopping it on the couch so the female
can enjoy sucking on it. I do hold & cuddle them often. I just don't think
of them as the second coming of Jesus and being more important than my wife
or friends, I'm just clarifying that I don't go that far with it.

> Try mixing a little can with the dry and see what happens.

No problem, so long as they do eat ALL of it not just the soft. As I said to
another (although I was more snide with them, maybe shouldn't been), I don't
mind endulging them a little "treat" every now & then, especially with
Family Dollar selling one brand (don't recall what it was, but the cats
liked it) for only 25c a can. I just don't want them turning their nose up
at what they were OK with before.

cybercat
April 15th 06, 07:13 AM
"noone" > wrote in message
et...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Sure, I could force her to get hungry enough to eat
> > anything,
>
> So it DOES work, huh? Thank you. That's what I'm going to do then.
>
> Why? Not for meanness

Sure it is. Find them homes. Asshole.

April 15th 06, 07:57 AM
"noone" > wrote in message
et...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Sure, I could force her to get hungry enough to eat
>> anything,
>
> So it DOES work, huh? Thank you. That's what I'm going to do then.
>
> Why? Not for meanness, but because they always had been just fine with dry
> until just recently, and it's not called for. I don't mind indulging them
> with a little "treat" every now & then, that's fine--but not if it turns
> them into picky little snobs, in that case the treats are abolished.

No, No, No, No, No................. Cat's metabolisms are not like dogs.
If a cat goes too long without eating anything (4-5 days) their liver can
start shutting down. Believe me some cats are stubborn enough to do that
if they don't get their favorite food. (Dogs in the wild share prey
animals with the pack - may go quite a while without eating, then get a big
big meal.)

So, like it or not, as a cat owner you do need to find a food they enjoy and
eat consistently. I've found that the smellier the food is, the better mine
seem to like it.

If you want to treat your cats like dogs, you really would be better
letting someone else take care of them.

-- maryjane

whose cat almost died of liver failure

John Doe
April 15th 06, 10:38 AM
Troll

"cybercat" <boagrrl hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: "cybercat" <boagrrl hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: Cats Suddenly Picky About Food
> Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:13:51 -0500
>

> "noone" <noone email.com> wrote in message
> news:1%_%f.15985$tN3.3318 newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...
>>
>> "cybercat" <boagrrl hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:44405675$0$14472$6d36acad titian.nntpserver.com...
>> > Sure, I could force her to get hungry enough to eat
>> > anything,
>>
>> So it DOES work, huh? Thank you. That's what I'm going to do then.
>>
>> Why? Not for meanness
>
> Sure it is. Find them homes. Asshole.

April 15th 06, 03:07 PM
> wrote in message
. com...

> "noone" > wrote in message
> et...
> >
> > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> Sure, I could force her to get hungry enough to eat
> >> anything,
> >
> > So it DOES work, huh? Thank you. That's what I'm going to do then.
> >
> > Why? Not for meanness, but because they always had been just fine with
dry
> > until just recently, and it's not called for. I don't mind indulging
them
> > with a little "treat" every now & then, that's fine--but not if it turns
> > them into picky little snobs, in that case the treats are abolished.
> >

> No, No, No, No, No................. Cat's metabolisms are not like dogs.
> If a cat goes too long without eating anything (4-5 days) their liver can
> start shutting down. Believe me some cats are stubborn enough to do that
> if they don't get their favorite food. (Dogs in the wild share prey
> animals with the pack - may go quite a while without eating, then get a
big
> big meal.)
>
> So, like it or not, as a cat owner you do need to find a food they enjoy
and
> eat consistently. I've found that the smellier the food is, the better
mine
> seem to like it.
>
> If you want to treat your cats like dogs, you really would be better
> letting someone else take care of them.
>
> -- maryjane
>
> whose cat almost died of liver failure

Good points, all. I never meant to suggest this as a way to get
her cats to eat that cheap disgusting food she wants to pawn
off on them, but of course you, and she, both know that.

cybercat
April 15th 06, 03:09 PM
"D." > wrote in message
ink.net...
> In article >,
> "noone" > wrote:
>
> > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Sure, I could force her to get hungry enough to eat
> > > anything,
> >
> > So it DOES work, huh? Thank you. That's what I'm going to do then.
> >
> > Why? Not for meanness, but because they always had been just fine with
dry
> > until just recently, and it's not called for. I don't mind indulging
them
> > with a little "treat" every now & then, that's fine--but not if it turns
> > them into picky little snobs, in that case the treats are abolished.
>
> This sounds suspiciously like a "regular" here who likes to think he's
> in "control."
>
> --

Right!! Lawrence somebody? Or Larry? I know exactly who
you mean. What a loser. Whether or not this is him/her, it's
a major loser nonetheless. (I am gender confused because
what man wears a "housecoat?" And what woman except
our grandmas who are over 80?

Matthew AKA NMR
April 15th 06, 03:15 PM
"John Doe" >

Being an idiot again I see

cybercat
April 15th 06, 03:36 PM
"D." > wrote :

> Yes, but I wouldn't suspect whomever it is of telling the truth, either.
> Same story, different setting. Yanking chains.

Yep. Let's get a rise out of the stupid cat people by saying
"I have a cat, I am not a cat lover, why can't I get him to eat
cheap **** food that is not good for him," hahaha. Ugh.

cybercat
April 15th 06, 04:02 PM
"D." > wrote in message
ink.net...
> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

> > "D." > wrote :
> > >
> > > Yes, but I wouldn't suspect whomever it is of telling the truth,
either.
> > > Same story, different setting. Yanking chains.
> > >

> > Yep. Let's get a rise out of the stupid cat people by saying
> > "I have a cat, I am not a cat lover, why can't I get him to eat
> > cheap **** food that is not good for him," hahaha. Ugh.
>
> It's more of, "I will bend my cats to my all-powerful will." Oh, so
> impressive. ;)

And then the cats wait until asshole is out and pee
all over is stuff. Poop in his shoes. Heh. That's one
of the things I love about cats. Successful guerilla
warfare.

PawsForThought
April 15th 06, 05:26 PM
noone wrote:

> No problem, so long as they do eat ALL of it not just the soft. As I said to
> another (although I was more snide with them, maybe shouldn't been), I don't
> mind endulging them a little "treat" every now & then, especially with
> Family Dollar selling one brand (don't recall what it was, but the cats
> liked it) for only 25c a can. I just don't want them turning their nose up
> at what they were OK with before.

If you can afford better than food from Family Dollar, it would be in
the cats' best interest, and yours. A cat fed a better quality food
will be healthier, which equals less vet visits, which equals more
money in your pocket ultimately. Secondly, cats are obligate
carnivores, and if you think about it, dry food is not appropriate for
them. Better for them and their health (and utlimately your
pocketbook) to feed them a canned diet.

Freight Train Jones
April 15th 06, 06:32 PM
noone wrote:
>just doesn't make sense.

LOL

LOL

lastcatstanding
April 15th 06, 06:45 PM
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:49:02 GMT, John Doe >
wrote:

>"D." <delenn nospamatmindspring.com> wrote:
>

>> In article <1%_%f.15985$tN3.3318 newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
>> "noone" <noone email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "cybercat" <boagrrl hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:44405675$0$14472$6d36acad titian.nntpserver.com...
>>>
>>> So it DOES work, huh? Thank you. That's what I'm going to do then.
>>>
>>> Why? Not for meanness, but because they always had been just fine with dry
>>> until just recently, and it's not called for. I don't mind indulging them
>>> with a little "treat" every now & then, that's fine--but not if it turns
>>> them into picky little snobs,
>
>So reduce the frequency of treats.
>
>Cats can be a mental challenge, but they don't intentionally play mind games.
>

>> This sounds suspiciously like a "regular" here who likes to think he's
>> in "control."
>
>Not that it matters, but who would that be?

You JD, You think you're the big troll buster.

Freight Train Jones
April 15th 06, 07:12 PM
lastcatstanding wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:38:01 GMT, John Doe >
> wrote:
>
> Idiot.

i hate to say it, but dude is like chinese water torture

omG!

is aight, we have other methods

lastcatstanding
April 15th 06, 07:29 PM
On 15 Apr 2006 11:12:56 -0700, "Freight Train Jones"
> wrote:

>lastcatstanding wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:38:01 GMT, John Doe >
>> wrote:
>>
>> Idiot.
>
>i hate to say it, but dude is like chinese water torture
>
>omG!
>
>is aight, we have other methods

And they too are failures.

Freight Train Jones
April 15th 06, 07:41 PM
lastcatstanding wrote:

> And they too are failures.

is true!
is awful

but sho was fun trying

lastcatstanding
April 15th 06, 07:45 PM
On 15 Apr 2006 11:41:33 -0700, "Freight Train Jones"
> wrote:

>lastcatstanding wrote:
>
>> And they too are failures.
>
>is true!
>is awful
>
>but sho was fun trying

It's always fun, usenet is a great way to play without making a mess.
I have a toothache, it sucks. I have Vicodin and weed. If I do things
just right. My cat's might want to play with me again.

noone
April 16th 06, 07:25 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> And then the cats wait until asshole is out and pee
> all over is stuff. Poop in his shoes. Heh. That's one
> of the things I love about cats. Successful guerilla
> warfare.

If that is something to LIKE about any animal, you have sick tastes.

But even so, if it came to who "wins," ultimately I would; all I'd have to
do is shut them up in the shed outdoors and confine them to that; there's
nothing there they can destroy and I wouldn't hear their constant meowing.
They'd have the water & food they need, with the option of eating or dying.

So how successful would THAT guerilla warfare be, I ask?

cybercat
April 16th 06, 07:45 AM
"noone" > wrote in message
m...
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
> > And then the cats wait until asshole is out and pee
> > all over is stuff. Poop in his shoes. Heh. That's one
> > of the things I love about cats. Successful guerilla
> > warfare.
> >
> If that is something to LIKE about any animal, you have sick tastes.
>
> But even so, if it came to who "wins," ultimately I would; all I'd have to
> do is shut them up in the shed outdoors and confine them to that; there's
> nothing there they can destroy and I wouldn't hear their constant meowing.
> They'd have the water & food they need, with the option of eating or
dying.

> So how successful would THAT guerilla warfare be, I ask?

*yawn*

Right, you de stud.

lol

Matthew AKA NMR
April 16th 06, 07:49 AM
Cyber don't even bother
with his responses he does his best to get a rise out of everyone it
just makes him moves lower and lower on the trolls' status. Soon he will be
just another sneeze just to wipe away right now John Doe is more impressive
and he ain't worth nothing except to his momma and to us as a big joke

And you are sick girl you did the ham I am sure Barry would have came over
and took care of the problem instead

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "noone" > wrote in message
> m...
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> > And then the cats wait until asshole is out and pee
>> > all over is stuff. Poop in his shoes. Heh. That's one
>> > of the things I love about cats. Successful guerilla
>> > warfare.
>> >
>> If that is something to LIKE about any animal, you have sick tastes.
>>
>> But even so, if it came to who "wins," ultimately I would; all I'd have
>> do is shut them up in the shed outdoors and confine them to that; there's
>> nothing there they can destroy and I wouldn't hear their constant
>> meowing.
>> They'd have the water & food they need, with the option of eating or
> dying.
>>
>> So how successful would THAT guerilla warfare be, I ask?
>>

> *yawn*
>
> Right, you de stud.
>
> lol

cybercat
April 16th 06, 04:16 PM
"Matthew AKA NMR" > wrote

> And you are sick girl you did the ham

Matthew, can you try not to be disgusting on Easter Sunday?

Ugh. Shame on you.

Matthew AKA NMR
April 16th 06, 05:32 PM
I had to get it out of my system before I asked for forgiveness and
blessings

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew AKA NMR" > wrote
>>
>> And you are sick girl you did the ham
>
> Matthew, can you try not to be disgusting on Easter Sunday?
>
> Ugh. Shame on you.

cybercat
April 16th 06, 11:41 PM
"D." > wrote in message
ink.net...
> In article >,
> "noone" > wrote:
>
> > But even so, if it came to who "wins," ultimately I would; all I'd have
> > do is shut them up in the shed outdoors and confine them to that;
there's
> > nothing there they can destroy and I wouldn't hear their constant
meowing.
> > They'd have the water & food they need, with the option of eating or
dying.

> > So how successful would THAT guerilla warfare be, I ask?
>
> And then someone reports you to animal welfare. :)

And there are much, much worse things than that in store for those
who abuse creatures weaker than they who depend on them. There
are natural laws that govern such things, and they are much more
powerfully enforced than any man-made laws. <G> All in good
time, alllllll in good time. There is justice in the natural order of
things, it is just sometimes hard to prove cause and effect.

~Echo~
April 17th 06, 02:25 PM
The measure of a man is how he treats his pets.
Some man you are.

Oh, and please don't have children.

"noone" > wrote

>...all I'd have to do is shut them up in the shed outdoors and confine them
>to that; there's nothing there they can destroy and I wouldn't hear their
>constant meowing.

cybercat
April 17th 06, 08:34 PM
"~Echo~" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The measure of a man is how he treats his pets.
> Some man you are.
>
> Oh, and please don't have children.

A big "meeee toooo" to that! But I bet she already has.

noone
April 19th 06, 10:07 PM
For what it is worth, I am noticing that they are eating the hard food. They
eat it in far less amounts than before, which indicates they're sort of
"picking" at it like they're eating enough to maintain but not eating the
normal amounts--as if they're "holding out" until the "real thing" in their
mind (the soft food) arrives, which it won't. But they ARE eating it.

I did, in fact, read at one website (cat professor?) that it was best to
give a cat hard food, and that in fact if you ever gave them soft food
they'd get picky on you. Sure enough. So I guess I learned my lesson.

Again, I do NOT hate the cats, I don't have any meanness intentions at all,
don't have any intent to starve them, don't have any intents to shut them up
in a cat carreir outside (just saying that I COULD do it if they made life
in the house hard enough, which they haven't by a long shot). I just want
things back the way they used to be, when they ate the hard stuff and didn't
complain. To me it's no different than (say) spoiling a child by giving it
cake & ice cream for dinner because it's "what it likes and I love them"
only to have them, what else would you expect?, complain and "pick at" the
food when you return to meat & potatoes.

And again, if I could simply give them soft food as an occasional "treat,"
something like (say) one can for each cat every three days or so, and it
didn't contribute to their pickiness then I would have NO problem doing
that. But given that I've read enough at other places that say hard food is
just fine for them, then I figure what's good enough for other cats is good
enough for mine. Doesn't mean I don't love them and want them to do well, I
just don't have any intent on "spoiling" them. Loving them, letting them
suck on my housecoat when I'm at the computer trying to type, no
problem--heck, that's cute even. But they don't walk on water, either,
that's all I'm saying.

Thanks for the tips.

Ajanta
April 21st 06, 08:36 AM
noone > wrote:

: For what it is worth, I am noticing that they are eating the
: hard food...

Actually canned food is better for their health. At Petsmart, good
quality 5.5 oz cans (~1 can per cat per day) are about 50c, cheaper
ones 30c. If you cannot afford even that, give them 1/2 dry and 1/2
canned. You will have to experiment whether it works best to give both
kind of food every meal, or morning dry and evening canned, or
something else.

Cats are by nature independent and picky. They depend on you for food
and it is not too much to ask if they show preference for one kind, the
kind they instinctively know to be better for them (because it has more
protein which they need and less grains which their body can't use).

If you too got nothing but pretzels all your life you'd be used to them
until one day you tasted what your body told you was real food.

They are just being cats: their little bodies know they need proteins,
not grains. If that is too much for you, find them another loving home
and get a dog instead. Dogs are more obedient, and also able to digest
grains, so they can and will eat what you give them.