PDA

View Full Version : question on teeth cleaning

April 15th 06, 02:13 PM
My cat has severe gingivitis and needs a cleaning and possible
extractions.

My current vet has given me an outrageously high price quote: $450 for
a cleaning and $650 if he needs extractions. I would like to get his
teeth cleaned first to see if that helps but I can't do that at these
prices.

I'd like to go to someone else. I don't know anyone from whom to get a
referral but there are lots of vets in my area.

Would I be fairly safe to pick anyone? Is this a risky procedure? My
cat is otherwise in very good health.

I live in Lowell, MA in case anyone out there lives nearby.

Thanks

April 15th 06, 04:25 PM
In article . com>,
says...
> My cat has severe gingivitis and needs a cleaning and possible
> extractions.
>
> My current vet has given me an outrageously high price quote: $450 for
> a cleaning and $650 if he needs extractions. I would like to get his
> teeth cleaned first to see if that helps but I can't do that at these
> prices.
>
> I'd like to go to someone else. I don't know anyone from whom to get a
> referral but there are lots of vets in my area.
>
> Would I be fairly safe to pick anyone? Is this a risky procedure? My
> cat is otherwise in very good health.
>
> I live in Lowell, MA in case anyone out there lives nearby.

I can't see tooth cleanings running more than a couple hundred dollars.
They do have to put the cat under but after that it's just scrape and
go.

My eldest had a cleaning and three teeth extracted for $182 and that was
five years ago. I can't imaginee that costs have gone up that much.

Barb
April 15th 06, 04:49 PM
That price sounds reasonable. Even just a cleaning may involve anesthetic
and definitely the extractions will.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Shardonay
April 15th 06, 09:15 PM
wrote:

> My cat has severe gingivitis and needs a cleaning and possible
> extractions.
>
> My current vet has given me an outrageously high price quote: $450 for
> a cleaning

It cost me $200 even with anesthetic and the blood test. (Austin, TX)

> Is this a risky procedure? My
> cat is otherwise in very good health.

I was worried too, but it was a pretty simple procedure. I would make
sure you choose a reputable vet, though.

April 15th 06, 09:19 PM
I guess that's the question. How do I know a vet is reputable? I have
some friends with cats but they never had anything more than shots.

Shardonay
April 15th 06, 11:56 PM
wrote:

> I guess that's the question. How do I know a vet is reputable? I have
> some friends with cats but they never had anything more than shots.

Ask around, especially the pet sitters. You can usually find lists and
ratings and such if you do a google search for your area. Good luck!

Freight Train Jones
April 16th 06, 01:15 AM
wrote:
-

brush your teeth
round and round
circle small
gums and all
<do the charleston>
you'll get your teeth healthy the round about way
do your part to help stop tooth decay

round and round

yeah.. round and round

April 19th 06, 02:11 PM
Well I called four local vets. All prices were higher than the one I
got from the original place.

I knew I lived in an area where health costs were the highest in the
country but I didn't know it pertained to animals too!