PDA

View Full Version : Misbehaving kitten

April 16th 06, 03:22 PM
Hello Everyone, (Happy Easter)
We've got a little 10 week old kitten, had her for 3 weeks now and ever
since she came into our house she's been good about her litter box
(smart Mom taught her well). But every now and then she decides to
relieve herself in our BEDROOM! First time (2 weeks ago) she managed to
both poop and pee... and this morning she decided to pee right in the
very same spot. Irony of it is, we don't like to let her into the
bedroom (she sleeps outside); could this have something to do with it?
She seems awfully curious about this one spot (right in the corner of
the room.
How do we teach her not to?!
Thanks for the tips,
Mike & Olfa

Gail
April 16th 06, 04:30 PM
A 10 week old kitten cannot always remember to go back to the litter box.
Try either keeping her in a room by herself (when you are not around) or
place another litter box in your bedroom.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello Everyone, (Happy Easter)
> We've got a little 10 week old kitten, had her for 3 weeks now and ever
> since she came into our house she's been good about her litter box
> (smart Mom taught her well). But every now and then she decides to
> relieve herself in our BEDROOM! First time (2 weeks ago) she managed to
> both poop and pee... and this morning she decided to pee right in the
> very same spot. Irony of it is, we don't like to let her into the
> bedroom (she sleeps outside); could this have something to do with it?
> She seems awfully curious about this one spot (right in the corner of
> the room.
> How do we teach her not to?!
> Thanks for the tips,
> Mike & Olfa

Charlie Wilkes
April 16th 06, 08:31 PM
On 16 Apr 2006 07:22:46 -0700, wrote:

>Hello Everyone, (Happy Easter)
>We've got a little 10 week old kitten, had her for 3 weeks now and ever
>since she came into our house she's been good about her litter box
>(smart Mom taught her well). But every now and then she decides to
>relieve herself in our BEDROOM! First time (2 weeks ago) she managed to
>both poop and pee... and this morning she decided to pee right in the
>very same spot. Irony of it is, we don't like to let her into the
>bedroom (she sleeps outside); could this have something to do with it?
>She seems awfully curious about this one spot (right in the corner of
>the room.
>How do we teach her not to?!
>Thanks for the tips,
>Mike & Olfa

I think you should let her in the bedroom with you. She probably
wants your company at night.

Charlie

deci
April 17th 06, 07:41 PM
On 16 Apr 2006 07:22:46 -0700, wrote:

>Hello Everyone, (Happy Easter)
>We've got a little 10 week old kitten, had her for 3 weeks now and ever
>since she came into our house she's been good about her litter box
>(smart Mom taught her well). But every now and then she decides to
>relieve herself in our BEDROOM! First time (2 weeks ago) she managed to
>both poop and pee... and this morning she decided to pee right in the
>very same spot. Irony of it is, we don't like to let her into the
>bedroom (she sleeps outside); could this have something to do with it?
>She seems awfully curious about this one spot (right in the corner of
>the room.
>How do we teach her not to?!
>Thanks for the tips,
>Mike & Olfa

Make sure that the area is REALLY clean - if cat can smell its own
urine (or anothers) it thinks that IS the place to relieve itself.
That'll be why its repeated in the same spot. Even the slightest trace
of a smell will encourage it

http://www.black-cat-gfx.co.uk/

"A cat is only technically an animal,
being divine" - Robert Lynd

Camilla Baird
April 18th 06, 10:50 AM
wrote:
> Hello Everyone, (Happy Easter)
> We've got a little 10 week old kitten, had her for 3 weeks now and ever
> since she came into our house she's been good about her litter box
> (smart Mom taught her well). But every now and then she decides to
> relieve herself in our BEDROOM! First time (2 weeks ago) she managed to
> both poop and pee... and this morning she decided to pee right in the
> very same spot. Irony of it is, we don't like to let her into the
> bedroom (she sleeps outside); could this have something to do with it?
> She seems awfully curious about this one spot (right in the corner of
> the room.
> How do we teach her not to?!
> Thanks for the tips,
> Mike & Olfa

First of all she left her mother much too early. It would seem she was 7
weeks when you got her - she should have stayed with her mother till she
was at least 12 weeks.:-(4cfv
She is insecure and lonely when she is not with you. Why is she not
allowed in the bedroom? The best thing you can do for her now is to get
a second cat to teach her "cat manners" and "cat language".
Also small kittens can have difficulty reaching the litter box on time -
I suggest putting an extra litter box on her favourite spot for peeing
in the bedroom. When she is older, you can try only having one litter box.
Camilla

Anna via CatKB.com
April 18th 06, 07:46 PM
>very same spot. Irony of it is, we don't like to let her into the
>bedroom (she sleeps outside); could this have something to do with it?
>She seems awfully curious about this one spot (right in the corner of

She'll keep returning to this one spot and peeing over and over again unless
you remove the smell by using a product made specifically for removing urine
odors (go to pet store or Walmart, etc. they should all have something, just
make sure it's made just for removing urine odor). In the meantime keep
your bedroom door closed during the day so she can't return there and will
not get used to going there. If she were older and doing this I would
suggest a visit to vet for urine test as cats will tend to do this when they
have a urinary tract infection but since she was only 8 weeks old when she
started doing this, she is probably just not used to where the litter box is
yet. You should bring her there and place her in there a few times a day
just to show her that that is where she should be going. If she has to go
when you do this, she will; if not, she'll just jump out, but at least she
should start to learn that that is where you want her to go. We got a kitten
at 7 weeks old too several years ago not knowing that that was too young and
that we should have let her stay with her mom for another one to three weeks
and she did the same thing. The new home is probably confusing and
overwhelming to them at that young age they probably can't remember where the
box is sometimes.

Anna via CatKB.com
April 18th 06, 07:54 PM
One other thing, if you let her in with you at night she'll cuddle up with
you in bed which she will love! (and I'll bet you will too if you try it).
She's so young and is probably lonely without you at night.