PDA

View Full Version : Cats Home Alone

Nancy Prentice
April 17th 06, 06:53 AM
Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
"anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
much easier than people!

Laraine Ruccolo-Lohnes
April 17th 06, 03:03 PM
I WOULD NEVER LEAVE THE CATS ALONE FOR MORE THAN TWO DAYS!!! DID YOU
CONSIDER A AT HOTEL? THEY WILL PUT THEM TOGETHER AND IT'S NOT THAT
EXPENSIVE. WHENTHEY ARE LEFT ALONE FOR TOO LONG THEY COULD FIGHT AND
GET INJURED. I HAVE EIGHT CATS AND THEY ARE MY KID. I JUST THINK IT'S
TOO
RISKY LEAVING THEM ALONE FOR SEVEN DAYS, I KNOW I WOULD' NOT ENJOY MY
VACATION!!

LARAINE

Magic Mood JeepŠ
April 17th 06, 04:31 PM
Nancy Prentice wrote:
> Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a
> 7 day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they
> have the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter
> boxes, toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasible
> plan? I don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a
> bit "anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get
> over it much easier than people!

If you're gone for 7 days - what about burglars/robbers? Fire? Storms that
damage the house (be it hurricane, tornado or just high winds & rain, hail
or what)? The kitties could be injured, killed or escape!

I would be too worried to enjoy the vacation if I left them home alone!
Even for 2 nights (did that, and we worried the whole drive home).

If there's no friends or relatives to look in on them on a daily basis,
consider hiring a professional pet-sitter, or taking them to be boarded at a
reputable kennel that accepts cats (and keeps them separate from the doggie
area).

blkcatgal
April 17th 06, 11:55 PM
I would never leave my cats alone for more than 2 days let alone 7. If you
don't have any friends or family that could check on them while you are
gone, please consider hiring a professional pet-sitter.

S.
"Nancy Prentice" > wrote in message
> Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
> day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
> the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
> toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
> don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
> "anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
> much easier than people!

abby8226
April 19th 06, 10:35 PM
Please don't do this too them. How are you going to give them fresh water.
Would you like to drink stale water. Also theitr litter boxes should be
cleaned daily. Please consider a petsitter!!!
"Nancy Prentice" > wrote in message
> Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
> day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
> the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
> toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
> don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
> "anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
> much easier than people!

AZ Nomad
April 22nd 06, 12:00 AM
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 01:53:37 -0400, Nancy Prentice > wrote:

>Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
>day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
>the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
>toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
>don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
>"anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
>much easier than people!

7 days is too long. Even 4 is pushing it.

Don't you know anybody at all? Any friends? Any neighbors who don't
hate you?

I've on several occasions had a neighbor catsit. I'll usually bring
a gift back from vacation as "payment." Or leave a case of beer in the
fridge. Depends on the neighbor.

Nancy Prentice
April 22nd 06, 03:11 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded with your opinions.

I have a security alarm system which nobody (whom I know) wants to touch
- so they have declined to check-in on my 2 cats while I am away. I have
one neighbor who is willing to help put -- he is an alcohalic and often
drunk (don't trust him).

Other than your concerns about "stale" water and "dirty" litter boxes, I
am still not hearing any good resons to be fearful about leaving my 2
healthy, adult cats alone at home for a week. As far as house fires,
lightening strikes etc. -- those scenarios would be tragic even if I was
home. So I wonder if your are transferring your human dislike of being
alone onto cats? My cats seem to sleep about 60% of the time any way.

- Nancy

Anna via CatKB.com
April 22nd 06, 04:14 AM
>I have a security alarm system which nobody (whom I know) wants to touch
>- so they have declined to check-in on my 2 cats while I am away. I have

Pet sitters are used to going to houses that have alarm systems. Your city
must have some pet sitters for hire that have gone to homes with alarm
systems; it's not hard to punch in a code to stop the alarm from going off,
it's a very easy procedure, I do it every day. They also do other things
such as pick up mail and water plants. What about your mail? If it piles up
in the mail box it is obvious to thieves that you are away.

>Other than your concerns about "stale" water and "dirty" litter boxes, I
>am still not hearing any good resons to be fearful about leaving my 2
>healthy, adult cats alone at home for a week. As far as house fires,

Believe it or not but not cleaning a litter box for 7 days is stressful to
your cats. Also, would if something happened to them health wise while you
were gone?

>lightening strikes etc. -- those scenarios would be tragic even if I was
>home. So I wonder if your are transferring your human dislike of being

But if you were home if these things happened, you would be there to get your
cats out of the house.

>alone onto cats? My cats seem to sleep about 60% of the time any way.

They would be stressed out if you left them alone with no human contact for 7
days. I don't know anyone who would leave their pets alone for that long
without worrying about them. Most people want to make sure they're okay and
they do so by having someone come and check on them.

deci
April 22nd 06, 02:58 PM
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:11:50 -0400, (Nancy
Prentice) wrote:

>Other than your concerns about "stale" water and "dirty" litter boxes, I
>am still not hearing any good resons to be fearful about leaving my 2
>healthy, adult cats alone at home for a week.

And these aren't good reasons????

http://www.black-cat-gfx.co.uk/

"A cat is only technically an animal,
being divine" - Robert Lynd

Veloise
April 22nd 06, 04:46 PM
Nancy wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded with your opinions.
>
> I have a security alarm system which nobody (whom I know) wants to touch
> - so they have declined to check-in on my 2 cats while I am away. I have
> one neighbor who is willing to help put -- he is an alcohalic and often
> drunk (don't trust him).
>
> Other than your concerns about "stale" water and "dirty" litter boxes, I
> am still not hearing any good resons to be fearful about leaving my 2
> healthy, adult cats alone at home for a week. As far as house fires,
> lightening strikes etc. -- those scenarios would be tragic even if I was
> home. So I wonder if your are transferring your human dislike of being
> alone onto cats? My cats seem to sleep about 60% of the time any way.

I run off and leave the kids regularly due to the demands of gainful
employment.

On a daily basis, there's a bowl under the leaky faucet in the tub.
Older kitty discovered the leak on her own; I use the shower and
replace the bowl. Viola, fresh water.

If I were leaving for a week, I'd establish a couple more litter boxes.
(The nice thing about upgrades: I saved all the old basic litter pans,
so there are quite a few to choose from.) I don't scoop (actually, tip;
both daily boxes are the "roll-a-way" type) on a daily basis. The kids
would likely use the cleanest box each time.

My living quarters could burn down, blow up or away, or whatever any
day of the week. Since I live alone, there'd be no way to know if a
tree fell on the roof or a lake moved into the basement until I got
back.

Enjoy your trip. Take a cat with you if you can (this can be really
fun).

HTH

--Karen D.

Nancy Prentice
April 23rd 06, 01:57 AM
My thanks to Karen D. for responding with a bit less emotionalism than
the other folks who entered this discussion about "leaving cats home
alone" while on vacation. I would like to hear from some other cat
people who have successfully done this without any problems --- to
balance out this discussion.

I plan on leaving 6 clean litter boxes in my basement on the day that I
leave for a week in Ireland! Figure that my 2 feline girls will have
plenty of choices there. Normally I clean their boxes every other day.
Knowing cats, they'll use all the different boxes and things won't get
too filthy.

The fresh water issue ... well they will have many bowls of water set
out so they won't go thirsty. Hey, I'd drink it. The bottled water that
I drink all the time isn't what I would call "fresh" either. Did you
ever think of that? Perhaps cats would prefer aerated water but when you
are thirsty you will drink what you've got.

About stress - STRESS for my cats is traveling in the car, going to the
vet, STAYING at the vet clinic, strangers in the house. Stress from
boredom is the least of my concerns for them -- they might scratch up
the carpet when I am gone (oh yeah, that's happened when I'm at work!).
I intend to "cat-proof" my house before leaving = remove all house
plants, plastic bags (which one cat likes to chew), un-plug electrical
cords. Am leaving a couple of empty cardborad boxes and a paper bag or
two (for playground equiptment) in addition to all their cat toys.

My perception of this is that being left comfortably at home for one
week is much less stress than being boarded in a kennel or at a
veterinary clinic in a cage. If I return home and discover that somebody
pee-ed in the wrong place because she was bored --- well, I'll just
clean it up!

By the way, these feline girls have been home alone for 4 days at a time
previous to this without any problems at all. We were all just glad to
see each other when I returned - no hostile cat feelings involved (they
really aren't like people).

- Nancy

April 23rd 06, 04:01 AM
Nancy Prentice wrote:
> Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
> day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
> the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
> toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
> don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
> "anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
> much easier than people!

When you say no one is available, I take it you mean neighbors,
friends, acquaintances, family, etc?

Look in the Yellow Pages for a professional pet sitter, or bette ryet,
ask your vet's office if they have a list of recommended professional
pet sitters (perhaps ones they use themselves, when out of town). Not
only will the cats be taken care off - fresh food & water, litter
scooped, cats played with, etc., but a pet sitter will take in the
mail, water any plants, & so on.

Cathy

abby8226
April 23rd 06, 04:58 AM
Possibly just give them, to your local Humane Soceity. If they were my 2
cars I woud worry about them already getting on the plane. The Humane
Soceity should pretty much tell you what you are doing the inhumane thing
anyway. You have no one- or too cheap to hire?
Teenager in school- anyone!!!
"Nancy Prentice" > wrote in message
> Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
> day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
> the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
> toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
> don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
> "anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
> much easier than people!

Veloise
April 23rd 06, 05:08 AM
abby8226 wrote:
> Possibly just give them, to your local Humane Soceity.

Oh, please.

>If they were my 2
> cars I woud worry about them already getting on the plane. The Humane
> Soceity should pretty much tell you what you are doing the inhumane thing
> anyway. You have no one- or too cheap to hire?
> Teenager in school- anyone!!!

Today I was gone for several hours! I went out and played music with my
two-legged friends, then ran some errands. When I got home the furry
friends were glad to see me, and me them, but...
....pets are a part of our lives, not the entire sum of our beings.

HTH

--Karen D.

Nancy Prentice
April 23rd 06, 05:57 AM
Thanks Karen for your rational comments about our pets.

It might surprise the hysterics who are sure that I am a torturer of
animals to know --- that I have had several healthy, happy feline
friends over the past 35 years who have lived contendedly as indoor cats
while I (a single womin) have worked full time.

Small towns like mine don't have professional pet sitters available to
hire - that seems to be more of a big city phenomenon. I would really be
worried if I left home without using the security alarm system - just so
some acquaintance could peak-in on my cats once or twice. I think that
both of my cats would probably hide if a stranger came inside the house
unexpectedly.

- Nancy

April 26th 06, 02:52 PM
Nancy Prentice wrote:
> Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
> day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing.

I would not do it. Any number of emergencies could come up. Fire,
storms, broken washing machine hose, that kind of thing . But also
health emergencies. A blocked urinary tract, a wound that gets
infected, a lot of things.
You may not find professional pet sitters by looking in the yellow
pages but check at your vet or look at the bulletin board at the pet
store.There are knowledgeable animal lovers who take on the occasional
job.

*beverley-jane*
April 30th 06, 08:23 AM
just read this post about leaving 2 cats for 7 days....
here's my 1st response to this post..... WHAT THE !!!!!
am i more shocked and/or disgusted about what kind of animal owner would
even question the idea, LET ALONE POST IT! I MEAN C'MON... common sense
should tell you NO! (as i'm still in awe that a person would even post
this question, can only lead me to believe they are lacking common sense
totally) or is it the other post by this person replying to all the replys
from everyone where she commented about NOT seeing any good reasons so far
for not leaving them alone (again... WTF? do you know how to read? good
grief! if not, the amount of people who replied to your post alone should
be some type of warning sign to not leave them ESPECIALLY when all the
replys were against your idea)
at 1st i considered perhaps you might be new to cats (or any animal) and
honestly didn't know any better... but when you blatantly reply to everyone
that you aren't seeing ENOUGH GOOD REASONS to NOT leave them alone....
(HELLO ALL THE REPLIES WERE AGAINST THE IDEA) i just figured that you are
totally ignorant!!!!
you should really read up about your animals and gain some very useful
knowledge of your pets....
perhaps you'll have the time to read during your vacation, meanwhile your
cats will be at the least of things that will and could happen STRESSING
out about you abandoning them

im stressed just reading your post

"Nancy Prentice" > wrote in message
> Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
> day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
> the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
> toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
> don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
> "anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
> much easier than people!

Nancy Prentice
May 7th 06, 05:26 PM
Do cats really think and feel like humans? I don't think so. I also do
not think that they calculate time in the manner that we humans do. This
is said with all due respect for felines -- I don't see my cats as
little mini-people. They are more resilient in many ways and I admire
them for that connection with their wildish ancestors.

Am especially interested in the strong emotions expressed by those of
you who are adamant about stressed out cats, left at home (inside their
familiar house/territory) for a week (with adequate food and water). I
suspect that the abandonment issues which you mention are coming from
your own personal fears - seriously. Have you considered that? Have you
ever heard of the term "anthropomorphizing"?

I want you to get rational here ... think about all the people who turn
their cats loose outside every day/night, to roam where they please,
encountering who knows what? THAT is what I call subjecting your pet to
potential serious distress. Think about all the cats that are left
outside in cold, nasty weather etc. - that seems distressful to me.
Being a little bored for a week in a familiar, safe, comfortable
environment is not a big deal in my estimation.

Am encouraging some positive comments from people who have successfully
left cats at home alone while away on vacation. Would like to hear about
your strategy concerning food, water etc.

-- Nancy

Anna via CatKB.com
May 7th 06, 10:15 PM
>you who are adamant about stressed out cats, left at home (inside their
>familiar house/territory) for a week (with adequate food and water). I
>suspect that the abandonment issues which you mention are coming from
>your own personal fears - seriously. Have you considered that? Have you
>ever heard of the term "anthropomorphizing"?
>Am encouraging some positive comments from people who have successfully
>left cats at home alone while away on vacation. Would like to hear about
>your strategy concerning food, water etc.

You've had many people give you several excellent reasons why it is not a
good idea to leave them alone for 7 days, but you choose not to listen to
anyone. Only ONE person thought it would be okay and she said she left her
cats alone for several HOURS at times, not DAYS. Then you come back on and
call us "hysterics"; pretty insulting to call people names who are taking
time out of thier day to help you with your question. So why in the world do
you say you're still interested in hearing from people who have left their
cats alone for a week or more, obviously if you haven't had a positive reply
in 3 weeks since you originally posted, then not many people on here have
done it. Unlike you, most of us would be worried to leave them alone for
that long.

Veloise
May 7th 06, 11:25 PM

Actually, when I wrote:
"I run off and leave the kids regularly due to the demands of gainful
employment..." I did not add "for several days at a time," which is
the case.

Longest work-related trip was ten days. They (one existing, one former)
were very happy to see me, as they'd managed to drop a play ball into
the water dish and couldn't get it out.

More recently I took a ten-day trip (driving) and took the newer kitty
with me, where we learned about camping, thunderstorms, car travel,
what fun it is to look out the window (longhorns! bats! we went to
Texas), mom's relatives, doggy cousins, and more.

The older kitty stayed home, and I had a friend drop in to play "Spot,"
the laser pointer. My human friend is a dear and I love her to pieces,
but she decided that the animal running to greet her was starving. So
older kitty blew up like a balloon and was hugely fat when we wanderers
got back.

Same thing happened on my first 4-day trip last fall; although both of
them were home this time, they got bored and ate all the food. I left
two cats who were reasonably-sized, and returned to two fat cats. I
don't see a solution other than getting a roommate or other human
family member. (The kids often follow me around, scream at me through
the window if I dare go outside and sit on the porch or collect the
mail or take my bike out. Become a recluse for the sake of the cats,
yeah right.)

For that matter, I live alone, not many people know my street address,
and there's no one who sees/hears from me every day. I could be dead on
the bathroom floor for weeks. But my cats would be happy!

HTH

--Karen D.

Harry
May 9th 06, 09:04 PM
Am considering leaving my 2 indoor cats at home alone while I go on a 7
day vacation. Nobody available to do the pet-sitter thing. If they have
the run of the house, plenty of food and water, extra litter boxes,
toys, and each other -- do you think that this is a feasable plan? I
don't see any problem other than the fact that they will be a bit
"anti-social" for a day or two once I return. Cats seem to get over it
much easier than people!

I couldnt handle that, my wife and I took a 5 day cruise and worried about our kitties most of the time even though my mother inlaw checked on them every day and spent the night a few times. Sad to say when we got home from our cruise my cat Riley looked very thin, took him to vet a few times, changed vets and found out he had kidney failure and wasting disease, we had to put him down 2 months after. Needless to say I will never leave my cats for more than 1 day.

Nancy Prentice
May 11th 06, 04:05 AM
Harry - Do you think that your 5 day absence had something to do with
your cat's kidney failure???? If so, could you explain how?

- Nancy

Dori
May 12th 06, 04:40 PM
Harry - Do you think that your 5 day absence had something to do with
your cat's kidney failure???? If so, could you explain how?

- Nancy

HOW is simple. There was nobody around to notice a difference in that cat's normal functions and take it to the vet immediately.

Nancy, I think you're just looking for justification and the blessings of others to do what you know in your heart is not in your cats' best interests. So you get defensive and start calling names ("emotional, irrational," etc.) when you aren't getting the response you want. So just who is emotional, really??? It seems to me the only thing you are not emotional about is your cats' welfare. Where is your passion for that?

I pay a pet sitter $15 a trip to look after my two cats when we are out of town. She and her family come over every afternoon, play with the cats, clean the litter boxes, feed and water them, pick up mail and papers, water plants, makes sure the cats habits are normal (litter box leavings are normal) and that they are acting healthy, check and make sure there is no mechanical problem in the house, they even feed the birds outside. She has all the info regarding the vet and emergency numbers. Then she leaves me a written report on how the visits went. My shy cat, she reports, is still a "little shy" but the other cat "really enjoyed the attention." Just like normal for my cats. If you can afford a trip overseas, then obviously you can afford $15 - $20 a day for a pet sitter. Cats are happiest in their own home, but they are not happy being left alone for days on end with no contact with "their" humans (or a good substitute). They will adapt very nicely to a good pet sitter. As others said, contact your vet for recommendations. Oftentimes, their technicians and assistants will do this as a way to earn a little extra money, and they really love working with animals. And your alarm system would not be a barrier to these folks.

The bottom line is, if you are not willing to do what is right for your cats, maybe you should be asking why you have them in the first place. They are living creatures who in their way love you and show it by giving you head bumps, nuzzling up to you when you're reading or on the computer, snuggling up to you at night, mewing at you when you're fixing a meal, rubbing up against your legs when you are sitting at the table, licking your hand or face, crawling into your lap or sitting next to you or on the back of your chair/sofa when you're watching TV. These are all cat ways of saying, "I love you." They wouldn't do any of these things if they didn't care about you. The question is, do you care as much about them?????

Nancy Prentice
May 17th 06, 01:56 AM
Dori - Would you please explain how it is that you KNOW what cats are
feeling when they are at home alone?

- Thanks, Nancy