PDA

View Full Version : Flea medicines, an interesting problem

Marshall Tessnear
April 17th 06, 03:35 AM
We have always used flea medication (Advantage) applied as directed. We
have a twelve year old (a rescue from a shelter) and have recently adopted
another kitten (also a shelter rescue). The two get along splendidly, even
to the point of the younger one (Kate, 5 months) become what I could only
described as the personal 'groomer' of Lucy, the older cat. Kate loves to
groom Lucy's ears and generally around her head, and Lucy doesn't seem to
mind. It is getting to be the time of year for flea meds to be applied, and
we are a bit concerned that Kate's grooming of Lucy after the flea med
application may be some danger to Kate if she "grooms" Lucy about the ears
and neck. It's a strange problem, I know. Any suggestions as to strategies
would be apprecitated.

Toni
April 17th 06, 03:56 AM
"Marshall Tessnear" > wrote in message
> It is getting to be the time of year for flea meds to be applied, and we
> are a bit concerned that Kate's grooming of Lucy after the flea med
> application may be some danger to Kate if she "grooms" Lucy about the ears
> and neck. It's a strange problem, I know. Any suggestions as to
> strategies would be apprecitated.

I just separate all of mine until the meds have completely dried and
absorbed.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

-L.
April 17th 06, 05:24 AM
Marshall Tessnear wrote:
> We have always used flea medication (Advantage) applied as directed. We
> have a twelve year old (a rescue from a shelter) and have recently adopted
> another kitten (also a shelter rescue). The two get along splendidly, even
> to the point of the younger one (Kate, 5 months) become what I could only
> described as the personal 'groomer' of Lucy, the older cat. Kate loves to
> groom Lucy's ears and generally around her head, and Lucy doesn't seem to
> mind. It is getting to be the time of year for flea meds to be applied, and
> we are a bit concerned that Kate's grooming of Lucy after the flea med
> application may be some danger to Kate if she "grooms" Lucy about the ears
> and neck. It's a strange problem, I know. Any suggestions as to strategies
> would be apprecitated.

The only "danger" in using Advantage is in ingesting the carrier in
which the active ingredient is contained - while it isn't toxic, it's
unpleasant tasting. It is readily absorbed by the skin, so it's only a
problem for a short while. If you have concerns, keep the cats
separate for 4 hours or so after application. After that time, all of
the meds and carrier will be absorbed.

-L.

PawsForThought
April 17th 06, 05:38 PM
Do your cats go outside? If not, I would forego using anything on
them. Or, if they do get fleas, I would use something where the wasn't
the chance of ingesting the pesticide.