PDA

View Full Version : Cat chewing electrical cords

blkcatgal
April 17th 06, 11:52 PM
Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
behavior?

Thanks.

Sue

AZ Nomad
April 18th 06, 12:21 AM
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:52:13 -0400, blkcatgal > wrote:

>Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
>month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
>him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
>behavior?

Get some habanero based hot sauce -- the kind only intended for masochists
or sadists, for example "Dave's insanity sauce".

Put it over the cords. Wash your hands extremely well afterwards.

Matthew AKA NMR
April 18th 06, 12:25 AM
they make pet stay away spray any pet store has it I use it on my
Christmas trees cats won't come near it

JKimmel
April 18th 06, 12:39 AM
blkcatgal wrote:
> Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
> month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
> him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
> behavior?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sue

Coat cords with Grannick's Bitter Apple.

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

Winifred B
April 18th 06, 12:47 AM
blkcatgal wrote in >:

>Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
>month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
>him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
>behavior?

I've found cats generally don't take well to being corrected. Best I
can manage is thwart, rather than correct. Years ago, I inherited a
nine year-old Siamese who had that habit--chewed all sorts of cords,
not only electrical ones. She lived with me eight years and died at a
ripe old age of causes unrelated to cords chewing. Only way I could
get her to stop chewing cords (which are plentiful in my house) was to
tuck as many as possible into spots unreachable by the cat, place
sheets of Plexiglas to block off areas where there were tangles of
cords behind appliances that needed ventilation (such as stereo
equipment and computers), and wrap in cut up ribbons of plastic bin
bags all cords that couldn't be hidden or made inaccessible (cat
wasn't interested in chewing loose plastic, only the firm stuff). Lots
of work went into this thwartery, but I loved my cat, and took
seriously my job of protecting her from herself. Good luck with
yours.
--
^ Winifred ^

Spot
April 18th 06, 12:59 AM
While I have used hot sauce in a pinch to keep the cats and dogs from
chewing cords I found the best thing it to buy a bottle of bitter apple
spray. You can find it at Petco or your local pet supply place probaby even
carries it.

It taste awful but is not toxic and once they get a taste of it won't touch
the item again. I use it regularly and spray the cords in my house once a
month because I have a dog who likes to chew. She hasn't chewed a cord in
over a year since I started using it but I don't like to take chances and
give them a spray anyway.

Celeste

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
> month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
> him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
> behavior?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sue

Rhonda
April 18th 06, 03:14 AM
Wow, that always scares me. I have bad memories of the sound of a
halogen lamp falling over -- looking over just in time to see sparks fly
and smell smoke as Licorice (cat) ran into another room. I couldn't get
her out of the closet for a long time. She had no visible burns but I'll
bet that hurt.

One thing you can do is put clear vinyl tubing over exposed cords (like
aquarium tubing.) You can split one side with a razor and wrap it
around. You can also try a plastic spiral wrap.

Good luck,

Rhonda

blkcatgal wrote:

> Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
> month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
> him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
> behavior?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sue

Anna via CatKB.com
April 18th 06, 07:28 PM
>month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
>him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this

You can get plastic automotive tubing from hardware stores (it's used for
covering wires under your engine). I used this on my cords as my cat was a
cord chewer when she was younger.

April 19th 06, 12:19 AM
In article >, Winifred B
says...
> blkcatgal wrote in >:
>
> >Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
> >month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
> >him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
> >behavior?
>
> I've found cats generally don't take well to being corrected. Best I
> can manage is thwart, rather than correct. Years ago, I inherited a
> nine year-old Siamese who had that habit--chewed all sorts of cords,
> not only electrical ones. She lived with me eight years and died at a
> ripe old age of causes unrelated to cords chewing. Only way I could
> get her to stop chewing cords (which are plentiful in my house) was to
> tuck as many as possible into spots unreachable by the cat, place
> sheets of Plexiglas to block off areas where there were tangles of
> cords behind appliances that needed ventilation (such as stereo
> equipment and computers), and wrap in cut up ribbons of plastic bin
> bags all cords that couldn't be hidden or made inaccessible (cat
> wasn't interested in chewing loose plastic, only the firm stuff). Lots
> of work went into this thwartery, but I loved my cat, and took
> seriously my job of protecting her from herself. Good luck with
> yours.

My oldest cat is a chewer. There's one segment of coaxial cable that I
can't protect from him so I just replace it when I notice the TV signal
getting snowy and the net connection getting slow.

The computers these days are laptops with wireless nic's and nicely
stowable power supplies. And the juciest cables are in the clost off
office. But back in the day I used to modify my computer cables - I'd
take off one end of the cable and pass it through flexible blue conduit
and then re-connect/solder. He couldn't get his jaws around it.

mlbriggs
April 19th 06, 01:08 AM
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:21:19 +0000, AZ Nomad wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:52:13 -0400, blkcatgal > wrote:
>

>>Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
>>month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
>>him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
>>behavior?
>
> Get some habanero based hot sauce -- the kind only intended for masochists
> or sadists, for example "Dave's insanity sauce".
>
> Put it over the cords. Wash your hands extremely well afterwards.

If the electricity doesn't kill him the hot sauce will. There are cord
covers that will protect them from kitty teeth.

Phil P.
April 19th 06, 09:42 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
> month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
> him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
> behavior?

Sue- forget the plastic tubing- too thin. Use heat-resistant automotive
vacuum hosing- the walls are much thicker. You can buy it by the foot at
most automotive supply stores- the custom shops are the best choice.

Phil

AZ Nomad
April 19th 06, 03:18 PM
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:08:41 +0000, mlbriggs > wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:21:19 +0000, AZ Nomad wrote:

>> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:52:13 -0400, blkcatgal > wrote:
>>

>>>Any suggestions on stopping my cat from chewing electrical cords? My 9
>>>month old kitten has taken to chewing cords. While I stop him when I see
>>>him doing it, I'm not always around. Any good tips on correcting this
>>>behavior?
>>
>> Get some habanero based hot sauce -- the kind only intended for masochists
>> or sadists, for example "Dave's insanity sauce".
>>
>> Put it over the cords. Wash your hands extremely well afterwards.

>If the electricity doesn't kill him the hot sauce will. There are cord
>covers that will protect them from kitty teeth.

Neither will happen. Kitty will lick the cords once and decide that
they aren't for eating.

cybercat
April 20th 06, 12:55 AM
"J.T." > wrote :

> Friend, don't think for one minute that you can't train them. you can.
> you can train them to do all sorts of things, they have the capacity.
> for example, I can look at Jupiter when she's CLAWING my sofa, all I
> gotta do now is clear my throat and she stops...
> the other night she was doing it again, I gave her a look...she stopped
> AND went over to the scratcher to finish the job. (I bout ate her up
> afterwards, it was so cute)...but they learn, they know.
>
> With Jupiter, I've had to be a tad firm, she does have a preference
> where she likes to scratch... when I was teaching her to use the
> scratcher, I would go over, pick her up from the sofa session.. take
> her over to the scratcher.. and tell her do it up her...Id give her a
> little sample... cht cht cht... one day.. I repeated my lesson... she
> jumped on it and gave it a fit like she was mad about it.. I think she
> was making fun of me. why are you still reading this, why am I rambling
> on...nothing else to read her, just some mad ramblings of a troll

Jupiter is really a cutie pie. I am glad she is using her scratcher. The
trick,
they say, is to give them something they like to scratch better than the
thing
you don't want them to scratch. The problem with the Alpine Scratcher (and
this is the only problem I see) is that they cannot really stretttttchhhhh
and
scratch like they like to. This is why they wind up back at the sofas and
chairs, to get a good upright stretchy scratch.

No scratcher is quite tall enough, unless you invest in a cat tree type
thing.
They are expensive, and take so much room. But I know I need to get one,
at least one, for my office. I think that will solve all the scratching
problems.

---MIKE---
April 20th 06, 01:08 PM
Tall scratchers don't have to be expensive. Take a look at the one I
made out of readily available materials.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=1777604&a=13746150&p=74024839&Sequence=3&res=high

---MIKE---