PDA

View Full Version : constipated kitty with high red and white count in urine

Rona Y.
April 19th 06, 01:03 PM
My cat has had a bout of crystals in her bladder. She has been on
antibiotics and Science Diet s/d, but she became constipated (because
of the antibiotics?) so she also got some Felaxin. After one month,
she has been switched over to Science Diet c/d (her most recent x-rays
show that the crystals have dissolved) but she's still a bit
constipated. She also has a high red and white cell count in her
urine, which the vet says is a good environment for infection.

So with her latest test results and x-rays, aside from the switch to
c/d, Kitty is still on a low dose of amoxicillin (100 mg) for 30 days
to stave off another infection. She is also still using Felaxin to
help with the constipation.

Does the above course of treatment seem reasonable for her diagnosis?
I'm a little worried about the amoxicillin--if she doesn't currently
have an infection, is it really wise for her to be on an antibiotic?

Are there any other causes for a high red and white cell count in her
urine?

What about the constipation? The doctor said it may also be caused by
dehydration, not just the antibiotics. Our cat sitter says Kitty
doesn't seem to drink a lot of water, but she is eating canned food so
she gets some of her water intake from that. She loves the Felaxin, so
that's not a problem. But I'm a little worried that this may be a
chronic problem.

Any advice?

Rhonda
April 19th 06, 06:43 PM
Hi Rona,

If your kitty has a high white blood cell count in her bladder -- I'm
wondering why your vet thinks the infection is gone. Also red blood
cells in the urine would mean to me that she is still bleeding in her
bladder. I'm not anything close to a vet, but that sure sounds like
blood to me!

I don't know about the dehydration angle, but I would sure be concerned
that if she still has the infection that you're on a high enough dose of
antibiotic or the right one.

You might want to talk this over with your vet again or maybe get a
second vet's opinion.

Rhonda

Rona Y. wrote:

> My cat has had a bout of crystals in her bladder. She has been on
> antibiotics and Science Diet s/d, but she became constipated (because
> of the antibiotics?) so she also got some Felaxin. After one month,
> she has been switched over to Science Diet c/d (her most recent x-rays
> show that the crystals have dissolved) but she's still a bit
> constipated. She also has a high red and white cell count in her
> urine, which the vet says is a good environment for infection.
>
> So with her latest test results and x-rays, aside from the switch to
> c/d, Kitty is still on a low dose of amoxicillin (100 mg) for 30 days
> to stave off another infection. She is also still using Felaxin to
> help with the constipation.
>
> Does the above course of treatment seem reasonable for her diagnosis?
> I'm a little worried about the amoxicillin--if she doesn't currently
> have an infection, is it really wise for her to be on an antibiotic?
>
> Are there any other causes for a high red and white cell count in her
> urine?
>
> What about the constipation? The doctor said it may also be caused by
> dehydration, not just the antibiotics. Our cat sitter says Kitty
> doesn't seem to drink a lot of water, but she is eating canned food so
> she gets some of her water intake from that. She loves the Felaxin, so
> that's not a problem. But I'm a little worried that this may be a
> chronic problem.
>
> Any advice?

Phil P.
April 19th 06, 09:36 PM
"Rona Y." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My cat has had a bout of crystals in her bladder. She has been on
> antibiotics and Science Diet s/d, but she became constipated (because
> of the antibiotics?) so she also got some Felaxin. After one month,
> she has been switched over to Science Diet c/d (her most recent x-rays
> show that the crystals have dissolved) but she's still a bit
> constipated. She also has a high red and white cell count in her
> urine, which the vet says is a good environment for infection.
>
> So with her latest test results and x-rays, aside from the switch to
> c/d, Kitty is still on a low dose of amoxicillin (100 mg) for 30 days
> to stave off another infection. She is also still using Felaxin to
> help with the constipation.

Amoxi can cause diarrhea- not constipation.

> Does the above course of treatment seem reasonable for her diagnosis?
> I'm a little worried about the amoxicillin--if she doesn't currently
> have an infection,

Not surprising. Contrary to popular belief- bacterial UTIs are actually rare
in middle-age cats because of the low pH and high osmolality of feline
urine.
Older cats are more susceptible to UTIs.

> is it really wise for her to be on an antibiotic?

Not if she doesn't have an infection. That's what causes
antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria- not to mention wreaking havoc on
normal gut flora which can lead to bacterial overgrowth.

> Are there any other causes for a high red and white cell count in her
> urine?

WBC can be caused by inflammation. RBC can be caused by irritation from
crystals or tearing the bladder mucosa from straining to urinate. How was
the urine collected? Drawing urine from the bladder via needle
(cystocentesis) usually causes very mild hematuria- unless the vet was
clumsy and poked her a few times.

> What about the constipation? The doctor said it may also be caused by
> dehydration, not just the antibiotics.

Tricky. Some cats will voluntarily inhibit pooping if they experience pain
urinating. Gotta watch it- constipation can become self perpetuating in
cats. The longer they hold in poop the drier and harder it becomes and the
more difficult and painful it is to eliminate. Speak to your vet about
lactulose (flavored- chicken) or some milk. Milk causes diarrhea in some
cats- just the effect you want in a constipated cat.

Our cat sitter says Kitty
> doesn't seem to drink a lot of water, but she is eating canned food so
> she gets some of her water intake from that. She loves the Felaxin, so
> that's not a problem. But I'm a little worried that this may be a
> chronic problem.
>
> Any advice?

My guess is she has feline interstitial cystitis- which is basically
inflammation of the bladder wall. Speak to your vet about Cosequin or
Adequan to repair the bladder wall.

Best of luck,

Phil