PDA

View Full Version : Clipping cat's claws - frequency

Sandra via CatKB.com
April 19th 06, 10:10 PM
I tried clipping my cat's front claws a few weeks ago (I read that it's not
necessary to clip claws on back legs).

At first I was very nervous that she would jump away or scratch - but she was
wonderful! Just sat there on my lap relaxed ..I think she thought I was
giving her a deluxe manicure.

Anyway, how frequently should I clip her claws? She's just so much easier to
handle when her claws have been clipped...but I don't want to go down too far
to the blood vessel

Unknown One
April 19th 06, 10:24 PM
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:10:33 GMT, "Sandra via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I tried clipping my cat's front claws a few weeks ago (I read that it's not
>necessary to clip claws on back legs).
>
>At first I was very nervous that she would jump away or scratch - but she was
>wonderful! Just sat there on my lap relaxed ..I think she thought I was
>giving her a deluxe manicure.
>
>Anyway, how frequently should I clip her claws? She's just so much easier to
>handle when her claws have been clipped...but I don't want to go down too far
>to the blood vessel

I do mine once a month and they are getting used to it and seem to tolerate it fine.

Toni
April 20th 06, 02:55 AM
"Unknown One" > wrote in message

> I do mine once a month and they are getting used to it and seem to
> tolerate it fine.

Once a month for me and mine as well.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Anna via CatKB.com
April 20th 06, 03:26 AM
>Anyway, how frequently should I clip her claws? She's just so much easier to
>handle when her claws have been clipped...but I don't want to go down too far

Check them after two to three weeks. If they're still okay, then every month
is fine, but I find that a month is too long to go for mine.

Joe Canuck
April 20th 06, 04:32 AM
Sandra via CatKB.com wrote:

> I tried clipping my cat's front claws a few weeks ago (I read that it's not
> necessary to clip claws on back legs).

If you find the rear claws develop sharp points, you can clip those ones
as well. Usually the rear claws are somewhat blunt.

> At first I was very nervous that she would jump away or scratch - but she was
> wonderful! Just sat there on my lap relaxed ..I think she thought I was
> giving her a deluxe manicure.

Mine purrs away when I do a clipping... so easy to deal with. :-)

> Anyway, how frequently should I clip her claws? She's just so much easier to
> handle when her claws have been clipped...but I don't want to go down too far
> to the blood vessel

At the start, check them on a weekly basis after clipping... you will
soon develop a sense based on experience how often you want to clip them
so she is consistently easy to handle.

Some good info here...

http://maxshouse.com/Claw%20Trimming.htm

-L.
April 20th 06, 06:10 AM
Sandra via CatKB.com wrote:
> I tried clipping my cat's front claws a few weeks ago (I read that it's not
> necessary to clip claws on back legs).
>
> At first I was very nervous that she would jump away or scratch - but she was
> wonderful! Just sat there on my lap relaxed ..I think she thought I was
> giving her a deluxe manicure.
>
> Anyway, how frequently should I clip her claws? She's just so much easier to
> handle when her claws have been clipped...but I don't want to go down too far
> to the blood vessel

Totally depends on the cat. My cat Mimi needs some of hers done every
3-4 weeks - they grow fast, thick and curl around. My other cat needs
it every 3-4 months. I generally keep my cats' nails short - even the
hind ones. They can get too long and interfere with proper walking.

-L,

Claude V. Lucas
April 20th 06, 12:37 PM
In article >,
Toni > wrote:

>"Unknown One" > wrote in message
>>
>> I do mine once a month and they are getting used to it and seem to
>> tolerate it fine.
>

>Once a month for me and mine as well.

I do Bubba's whenever they get too sharp.

About a month or so.

Wrestling a 24 pound cat that doesn't like a nail
trim is one of life's priceless little pleasures.

Claude

Fat Freddy
April 20th 06, 02:42 PM
Keeping Kitty's front claws clipped is really important for both of us
since one of his greatest pleasures is to curl up in my arms like a
baby, reach up, and knead his paws on my neck. He will do it for about
20 minutes, purring loudly all the time and will eventually fall
asleep.

With sharp claws it gets quite painful and I can't stand it for too
long. Even if I pull up my collar he will find a spot of exposed skin
to do it on. I tried growing my beard really thick, and that does give
me some protection, but I would rather have it clipped short, so the
claw clippers have become one of my favorite tools.