PDA

View Full Version : Cat will not groom himself

Marisa
April 21st 06, 07:40 AM
My cat never bothers to lick himself, no matter how dirty he gets. He
has been doing this since he was a kitten, and it is becoming a problem
because he's very, very affectionate but smells terrible. He won't
clean himself after using the litterbox, which often results in a mess.
Bathing him is impossible, he's a large cat and no one is able to hold
him still long enough to clean him. Is it normal for some cats to not
groom themselves?

LB
April 21st 06, 08:23 AM
Some cats were never taught bathing as kittens, others are just lazy,
still others pick up substances they don't want to ingest (such as oily
dirt from a road or garage floor).

You might want to try using large moist cat bathing towels packaged as
"cat bath" to wipe him down occasionally. Start with just a gentle wipe
down his back and head when he's relaxed to get him accustomed to
them--otherwise you'll scare him and make him hostile toward them. Over
time he may let you wash more of him.

Before relying on these towels regularly, test the cat. Allow him just
enough time between cleanings to see if he starts cleaning himself. If
so, that means he's been picking up substances on his fur that he
refuses to ingest, and the cloths clean that away enabling him to start
cleaning himself.

Otherwise, he'll probably just never be a cleaner and you can start
toweling him down more often. Increase timing and duration of the towel
baths as he becomes used to them. Good luck!

mlbriggs
April 21st 06, 05:48 PM
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:40:53 -0700, Marisa wrote:

> My cat never bothers to lick himself, no matter how dirty he gets. He
> has been doing this since he was a kitten, and it is becoming a problem
> because he's very, very affectionate but smells terrible. He won't
> clean himself after using the litterbox, which often results in a mess.
> Bathing him is impossible, he's a large cat and no one is able to hold
> him still long enough to clean him. Is it normal for some cats to not
> groom themselves?

IMHO usually only if they don't feel well. Have you had TED check him
for health problems? MLB

Toni
April 21st 06, 06:33 PM
"Marisa" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My cat never bothers to lick himself, no matter how dirty he gets. He
> has been doing this since he was a kitten, and it is becoming a problem
> because he's very, very affectionate but smells terrible. He won't
> clean himself after using the litterbox, which often results in a mess.
> Bathing him is impossible, he's a large cat and no one is able to hold
> him still long enough to clean him. Is it normal for some cats to not
> groom themselves?

The cats that I see (as a groomer) that do not clean themselves are almost
always too overweight to do so. They just can't.
If the cat is overweight, then have your vet design a weight reduction
program.

If the cat is totally fit and heatthy I might recommend a session with a
groomer who will not only get the cat clean and off to a good start, but you
can also arrange for a lesson on how to manage it yourself. Sometimes just
learning how to handle a cat and restrain him safely is all you need.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com